• Please log in to reply
1149 replies to this topic

#1 datlow

datlow

Mansquito

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 03:19 PM

Here's the place to let everyone else know what you're reading in sf/f/h--or mainstream, for that matter.
Ellen Datlow
Editor

#2 datlow

datlow

Mansquito

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 12:11 PM

OK. I guess I'll start.

I read very little novel-length work because I don't have the time, what with editing SCIFICTION and reading for various anthologies--particularly YBFH.

But I have read two novels so far this year that's I'd recommend: Greg Bear's horror novel,Dead Lines, which has some excellent scary bits, and China Mieville's Iron Council, which is related but not a sequel to Perdido Street Station. It's political, passionate, and imaginative.
Ellen Datlow
Editor

#3 Niall_Harrison

Niall_Harrison

Mansquito

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 03:18 PM

Current novel: River of Gods by Ian McDonald. Current opinion: wow. Pure, heavy, intoxicating future-shock for the first hundred pages...hell, for the first seventy pages you don't meet the same character twice. And you know how most sf novels take one concept and spin a future around it? This has them all. Genetic engineering, climate change, artificial intelligence, cultural and economic ascendency of the third world, possible alien contact, the lot.

Current collection: Secret Life by Jeff Vandermeer. Only two stories in, but so far they've both been impressive.

Current magazine: Just finished the July Asimov's, which I have to say I wasn't that impressed with. 'Shady Grove' by Allen Steele was disappointing; I liked the early Coyote stories a great deal but recently they seem to have run out of momentum somewhat. All four short stories were good, but I didn't think any of them really had that something extra. Judith Berman's novellette, 'The Fear Gun', was good, though - I like stories that play with metaphors in an sf setting, and I like stories that use multiple viewpoints, so long as they use them well. See also River of Gods!

#4 MelissaJM

MelissaJM

Mansquito

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 04:50 PM

I've been reading for research, (vegetable gardening, child development, growth disorders and circus history) which cuts down on my reading for fun. I have been sneaking snippets of Thursday Next over lunch at work, though.

#5 datlow

datlow

Mansquito

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 05:18 PM

Fforde's stuff sounds like so much fun. I wish I had time to read it.

Ellen Datlow
Editor

#6 terrytvgall

terrytvgall

Viper Pilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 05:57 PM

Hi all. I'm reading Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon at the moment. A super wild ride.

I'm also a great fan of Tim Lebbon and have recently read his novella collection Fears Unnamed and his recently released Novella Changing of Faces which is the sequel to Naming of Parts available as a stand alone or in Fears Unnamed. Wonderful horror.

I'm waiting with baited breath for Iron Council and I totally envy anyone who got advance copies!!

#7 writercritic

writercritic

Mansquito

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 06:43 PM

the curious incident of the dog in the night-time, by Mark Haddon. I highly recommend this novel. If you hate mainstream then just plug your ears and pretend it's SF, you'll be glad you did.

#8 datlow

datlow

Mansquito

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 06:55 PM

Richard Morgan read a couple of months ago at the KGB Bar reading series I co-curate. He read from the follow up novel and it sounded really good. He was also an excellent reader, which helps.

I read Iron COuncil in galleys but just got a copy of the finished book so you shouldn't have to wait too long.

Quote:

Hi all. I'm reading Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon at the moment. A super wild ride.

I'm also a great fan of Tim Lebbon and have recently read his novella collection Fears Unnamed and his recently released Novella Changing of Faces which is the sequel to Naming of Parts available as a stand alone or in Fears Unnamed. Wonderful horror.

I'm waiting with baited breath for Iron Council and I totally envy anyone who got advance copies!!

Ellen Datlow
Editor

#9 MelissaJM

MelissaJM

Mansquito

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 07:55 PM

I burst out laughing in the middle of the lunchroom, and I'm usually a quiet reader.

Quote:

Fforde's stuff sounds like so much fun. I wish I had time to read it.

#10 mizor

mizor

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 315 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 10:21 PM

When I don't have my nose in a textbook, I like to read Simon Green's "Nightside" series or reread his "Hawk and Fisher" series. I like mysteries as well as SciFi/fantasy. I also lkie to read Glen Cooks "Garett P.I." series Harry Turtledove's and David Drake/Eric Flynts alternate histories.

#11 HorseTamersDaughter

HorseTamersDaughter

Mansquito

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 17 July 2004 - 10:46 PM

I decided to re-read (after 20+ years had passed) The Lord of The Rings. As I've re-read each book, I've re-watched the movies. I've just started Return of the King, then I'll wait for the extended DVD to come out.

The movies were all great, and I didn't object too much to the many changes made, including the much maligned expansion of Arwen's participation in the story. The one change that really didn't sit well with me was what they did with Faramir and the trip to Osgiliath that never happened.

I'm also reading The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason. I just started it, and it's ok so far. It was recommended to me since I recently enjoyed both The DaVinci Code and Angels & Demons by Dan Brown.

HTD

P.S. I've never read any of the Marion Zimmer Bradley Darkover series upon which my handle is based. I just like the song.

#12 terrytvgall

terrytvgall

Viper Pilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 01:59 AM

On the subject of re-reading, I too re-read Tolkein along with the movies. They seemed much 'easier' after 20+ years of Sf/Fantasy reading experience.

I've decided to turn now to re-read the Stephen R. Donaldson 'Thomas Covenant' series. I discovered recently that he is releasing a 3rd quartet of books to 'complete' the story. I expect to quite enjoy the experience.

Learn about Stephen R. Donaldson here

#13 Cojack

Cojack

Mansquito

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 11:13 PM

At the moment I am reading: "Admiral Hornblower: In the West Indies". Before that, I read "Trading In Danger" by Elizabeth Moon. Great book. Her second book of this new series is coming out in September, named: "Marque & Reprisal".

Check'em out if you can.

Cojack
"only the dead have seen the end of war." ~Plato

#14 TheDeeMan

TheDeeMan

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 06:54 PM

I'm re-reading Salem's Lot. I always re-read stories that are remade as movies (and re-watch the original movies) just to see how they hold up. I did it with recent remakes of Carrie and The Shining too. I'm a big King fan.
Posted Image
G.A.A.K: Groovy A$$ Alien Kreatures. It's like The Goonies meets The Invaders from Mars.
www.webcomicsnation.com/moniquem/gaak/series.php

#15 rwash

rwash

Mansquito

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 10:28 PM

Right now I'm reading Gardner Dozois's "Years Best Science Fiction", both the 2002 and 2003 ones (20th and 21st). I'm just getting into reading sci-fi short stories. I'm also going through and reading a lot of sci-fiction back archives for authors I like. Short stories are nice because I can read them in one sitting and I don't have to worry about putting the book down for a month if things get busy.

I've also been reading back-stories from sci-fiction from authors I like. Its really nice that all of the old published stories are still available online. I kinda like that much better than the print mags, which are hard to get old stories sometimes.

#16 Cojack

Cojack

Mansquito

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 12:20 AM

Quote:

I'm re-reading Salem's Lot. I always re-read stories that are remade as movies (and re-watch the original movies) just to see how they hold up. I did it with recent remakes of Carrie and The Shining too. I'm a big King fan.

I've only read a few books by Stephen King(it's almost a requirement in Maine ) but, what I've read has been ok. Not much of a horror fan, I guess.

Cojack

#17 Cojack

Cojack

Mansquito

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 12:32 AM

Well, I've finished "Admiral Hornblower: In the West Indies" by C.S. Forest and am now onto "Vitals" by Greg Bear. Pretty interesting book so far.

Cojack

#18 dshan

dshan

Mansquito

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 01:36 AM

I'm just finishing Stanislaw Lem's The Cyberiad Stories. Very enjoyable. I recently finished Michael Flynn's The Wreck Of The River Of Stars - wow, what a great book! I'm going to start on Jennifer Government by Max Barry when I finish Cyberiad.

#19 terrytvgall

terrytvgall

Viper Pilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 01:53 AM

Ah someone else who is just discovering short stories! I have focused on novels for so long I've almost forgotten the satisfacton of shorter works. I'm developing a real devotion to the novella. Long enough to sink your teeth and heart into but readable over a weekend without forgetting to eat or shower! I'd be interested in any stories you particularly reccommend.

#20 datlow

datlow

Mansquito

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 11:57 AM

What have you read by King? My favorites are The Shining, Salem's Lot, and The Green Mile--and I love some, but not all of his stories and novellas.

Quote:

Quote:

I've only read a few books by Stephen King(it's almost a requirement in Maine ) but, what I've read has been ok. Not much of a horror fan, I guess.

Cojack

Ellen Datlow
Editor

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users