Photo
- - - - -

Isn't DW the longest running sci-fi series?


  • Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 cybercylon

cybercylon

    Viper Pilot

  • Full Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:16 AM

While this is old news and as much as I am a fan of stargate, why does SG1 hold the record for the longest consecutive running sci-fi series? (http://www.gateworld...book_of_w.shtml

Doesn't this honor belong to classic DW? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I didn't think there was a stopage until the Colin Baker years (and even if you consider the cancelled Shada to be a "stopage"... this still places DW as #1 as far as I know.)

Unless of course, the Guinness Book of World Records sees each story of classic DW as "one episode" regardless if it is made up of 4 parts, 6 parts, whatever. Then I can see why it doesn't hold the record...

#2 GreenLion1993

GreenLion1993

    Minbari

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 221 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:19 AM

Quote:

While this is old news and as much as I am a fan of stargate, why does SG1 hold the record for the longest consecutive running sci-fi series? (http://www.gateworld...book_of_w.shtml

Doesn't this honor belong to classic DW? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I didn't think there was a stopage until the Colin Baker years (and even if you consider the cancelled Shada to be a "stopage"... this still places DW as #1 as far as I know.)

Unless of course, the Guinness Book of World Records sees each story of classic DW as "one episode" regardless if it is made up of 4 parts, 6 parts, whatever. Then I can see why it doesn't hold the record...




Mabye thats for like the longest running american one or something, cause i'm sure it says on wikipedia that doctor who is the loongestrunning

#3 InsaneCatgirl

InsaneCatgirl

    Sleestak

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:31 AM

I'm sure you'l be able to find it here:

http://en.wikipedia...._fiction_series
"Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance."
--Sam Brown

#4 5thdoctorwhofan

5thdoctorwhofan

    Peacekeeper

  • Full Members
  • Pip
  • 574 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:44 AM

Quote:

I'm sure you'l be able to find it here:

http://en.wikipedia...._fiction_series



Ok from what I found Dr Who is the longest running science fiction show. If I'm wrong sorry
Posted Image

#5 AbsomDalekKiller

AbsomDalekKiller

    Viper Pilot

  • Full Members
  • Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 06:44 AM

You could always email them (Guinness) and ask how they define this record, dont know the email address though.

#6 manyeyes

manyeyes

    Caprican

  • Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:13 AM

Quote:

While this is old news and as much as I am a fan of stargate, why does SG1 hold the record for the longest consecutive running sci-fi series? (http://www.gateworld...book_of_w.shtml

Doesn't this honor belong to classic DW? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I didn't think there was a stopage until the Colin Baker years (and even if you consider the cancelled Shada to be a "stopage"... this still places DW as #1 as far as I know.)

Unless of course, the Guinness Book of World Records sees each story of classic DW as "one episode" regardless if it is made up of 4 parts, 6 parts, whatever. Then I can see why it doesn't hold the record...




I think you are right - Doctor Who is the longest running in history, in the world, and Stargate - the longest running in America!


#7 BlueBox

BlueBox

    Time Lord

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:00 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure you'l be able to find it here:

http://en.wikipedia...._fiction_series



Ok from what I found Dr Who is the longest running science fiction show. If I'm wrong sorry




No, you are not wrong. Everyone (well, except certain US entities) knows that DW is THE longest running TV programme!

#8 GreenLion1993

GreenLion1993

    Minbari

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 221 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:14 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure you'l be able to find it here:

http://en.wikipedia...._fiction_series



Ok from what I found Dr Who is the longest running science fiction show. If I'm wrong sorry




No, you are not wrong. Everyone (well, except certain US entities) knows that DW is THE longest running TV programme!




I don't think thats true, cause i think some of the soaps over here started back in 1960

#9 BlueBox

BlueBox

    Time Lord

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:27 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure you'l be able to find it here:

http://en.wikipedia...._fiction_series



Ok from what I found Dr Who is the longest running science fiction show. If I'm wrong sorry




No, you are not wrong. Everyone (well, except certain US entities) knows that DW is THE longest running TV programme!




I don't think thats true, cause i think some of the soaps over here started back in 1960




I forgot to insert "sci-fi" TV programme - I was trying to exclude the sci-fi movies from the category.

#10 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

    Moderator

  • Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,787 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:04 AM

Sci-Fi does promote Stargate as "the longest-running American science-fiction show" (emphasis mine).

#11 Earthbondtimelord

Earthbondtimelord

    Dune Messiah

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:13 AM

This reminds me of the debate I got into one day on the radio back in the 80's just before "Doctor and the Tardis" Came out.

There was a quiz (Can't remember the prize) on what was the longest running Scifi tv show. I and of couse a dozen or so fans called and said Doctor Who. The answer they wanted "Star Trek" I called the complaint department and said if they wanted the "Longest running American Scifi show" They should've said it that way.

Needless to say once the grown up on the other end knew my age they hung up on me, but they were dealing with more calls then just me. Whoever that nerd was in mom's basement.....I WANT MY PRIZE!!!!!
Posted Image

#12 BlueBox

BlueBox

    Time Lord

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:15 AM

Quote:

This reminds me of the debate I got into one day on the radio back in the 80's just before "Doctor and the Tardis" Came out.

There was a quiz (Can't remember the prize) on what was the longest running Scifi tv show. I and of couse a dozen or so fans called and said Doctor Who. The answer they wanted "Star Trek" I called the complaint department and said if they wanted the "Longest running American Scifi show" They should've said it that way.

Needless to say once the grown up on the other end knew my age they hung up on me, but they were dealing with more calls then just me. Whoever that nerd was in mom's basement.....I WANT MY PRIZE!!!!!




was the prize a Walkman (the 80's version of the "iPod"? LOL Did you remember to send in a self-addressed stamped envelope to get the list of prize winners?

#13 cybercylon

cybercylon

    Viper Pilot

  • Full Members
  • Pip
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 09:53 AM

Quote:

Sci-Fi does promote Stargate as "the longest-running American science-fiction show" (emphasis mine).




With that qualification, it would be true, but as for the overall record, no matter what they say, it belongs to DW (at least it does to this american entity )

#14 EdDW

EdDW

    Minbari

  • Full Members
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:04 AM

Star Trek was still the wrong answer as the longest American show
back in the 80's .Both The 6 Million Dollar Man and the Twilight Zone had 5 year runs ST had only 3
Call them up you should get your prize !!!
BTW there used to be a flap over The Tomorrow People
being called the longest running scifi series on
commercial TV.It was ITV's rib against DW

#15 BlueBox

BlueBox

    Time Lord

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:20 AM

Quote:

Star Trek was still the wrong answer as the longest American show
back in the 80's .Both The 6 Million Dollar Man and the Twilight Zone had 5 year runs ST had only 3
Call them up you should get your prize !!!
BTW there used to be a flap over The Tomorrow People
being called the longest running scifi series on
commercial TV.It was ITV's rib against DW




on commercial TV? LOL Heck why not go down the following - The longest running sci-fi TV show:

-between 8-9pm is....
-on cable commercial TV
-on US cable not aired in Canada
-on US TV that is not free
-on US TV that has NOT been translated into Urdu

good grief...... it's not that difficult!!

#16 DWF

DWF

    Sleestak

  • Full Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:39 PM

Quote:

While this is old news and as much as I am a fan of stargate, why does SG1 hold the record for the longest consecutive running sci-fi series? (http://www.gateworld...book_of_w.shtml

Doesn't this honor belong to classic DW? Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I didn't think there was a stopage until the Colin Baker years (and even if you consider the cancelled Shada to be a "stopage"... this still places DW as #1 as far as I know.)

Unless of course, the Guinness Book of World Records sees each story of classic DW as "one episode" regardless if it is made up of 4 parts, 6 parts, whatever. Then I can see why it doesn't hold the record...




Stargate SG1 is the longest consecutive running show Dr. Who was off the air for over a year before The Trial Of A Time Lord season started.

#17 evolution67

evolution67

    Contactee

  • Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:45 PM

Quote:


Stargate SG1 is the longest consecutive running show Dr. Who was off the air for over a year before The Trial Of A Time Lord season started.




um...how many seasons of Doctor Who were there before the brief 1985-ish hiatus? I know the answer. Perhaps you should look it up before trying to make qualifiers for that ***** excuse of a "scifi" program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I feel like like BlueBox )
I am an American aquarium drinker.

#18 rhiannon2006

rhiannon2006

    Minbari

  • Full Members
  • Pip
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:52 PM

As best as I can figure, Trial of a Timelord was Season 23, according to Wiki. SG1 has been on for, what? 10 seasons?

Need someone to confirm these numbers.

Posted Image


#19 evolution67

evolution67

    Contactee

  • Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 05:58 PM

Quote:

As best as I can figure, Trial of a Timelord was Season 23, according to Wiki. SG1 has been on for, what? 10 seasons?

Need someone to confirm these numbers.




exactly

Im tempted to go to the Stargate board and tell them how much I think Stargate sucks
I am an American aquarium drinker.

#20 DWF

DWF

    Sleestak

  • Full Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 07:26 PM

Quote:

As best as I can figure, Trial of a Timelord was Season 23, according to Wiki. SG1 has been on for, what? 10 seasons?

Need someone to confirm these numbers.




Once the series was off the air for a year it was no longer concective and there were some long breaks in those first 22 years as well.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users