12 replies to this topic

#1 ECWFanX

ECWFanX

Peacekeeper

• Members
  • Pip
  • 409 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:32 PM

According to the Wrestling Observer newsletter the Big Show will be leaving WWE in February. The Hulk Hogan-Big Show match that was planned for WrestleMania match is not even 100% certain right now as Big Show's contract expires in February and he is in a great deal of physical pain right now. He legitimately weighs 520 pounds, finds travelling difficult, has already been taken off of most minor house shows and plans are being made to get the ECW title off of him soon. The problem with the title is that, realistically, Rob Van Dam is the only ECW guy in a good position to win it and yet Vince McMahon has been said to be determined not to let him be the champion again following his arrest the last time around. He also feels RVD cannot be a draw as champion, although others feel the crowds will be the same no matter who has the belt. Big Show has been telling people he is considering leaving next year and going into acting, since his size and comedic personality makes him rather unique and should get him plenty work. His original contract, signed in 1999, was $950,000 a year for ten years. It was renegotiated later when management felt he wasn't working hard enough and sent him to OVW, with Jim Ross cutting it down to $1,000,000 a year for eight years. Eventually, Vince got irritated about paying that much for anybody in developmental and they just took him as he was. John Laurinaitis started talking to him about a new deal recently, which involved a major pay cut. After Kurt Angle left the company had more money available for wages and he was offered a five-year extension at the same wage, which he turned down. The company was shocked at this, yet Big Show just doesn't believe he can continue because of the severe pain he is experiencing. His back is shot and he fears that he may start rapidly deteriorating like Andre the Giant did at around the same stage of his life. Because they cut back his dates he has agreed to work through till February unless things get extraordinarily bad, then take a hiatus and hopefully recover enough to return. He is in a secure financial position but may never be able to handle a full-time schedule again. He has not confirmed anything about WrestleMania yet but the feeling is that he will work the show because of Hogan's involvement unless he is physically incapable.

Also, the Heyman annoucement as last night's house show was that Big Show wouldnt be wrestling but instead Heyman would take his place against RVD so Show's back must be really bad right now.

#2 CocoBunny

CocoBunny

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 384 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:16 AM

That sucks if it is indeed true. I've always liked The Big Show both in and out of the ring. He always seemed like a stand up guy. I gained lots of respect for him after he became ECW champ and proved he could really get extreme. I wish him the best no matter what he does and hope he stays healthy. I've always wondered if/when his size would get the better of his life, but I hope things work out for him either way.
"Holy Sh*t! Holy Sh*t! Holy Sh*t! Holy Sh*t!"

#3 j00ker5

j00ker5

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:26 AM

All you want to know about the Big Show laugh.gif

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Paul_Wight

#4 Bloodwynd

Bloodwynd

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:38 PM

That explains why he wasn't at the house show I went to earlier this month.

I've always liked Big Show and I don't want to see him suffer from his size like poor Andre did.

I think it shows alot that he became the go-to guy after the bad press from RVD/Sabu. He's really run with the opportunity. I've watched every title run he's had and his ECW run has been the most enjoyable to watch.

It sounds like RVD isn't taking responsibility for his actions if McMahon is so determined to keep him from being Champion. Lord knows he's never had problems having champions with questionable pasts, before.

I'm going to miss Show if he retires next year. He's been blessed with a long career and hopefully he'll still have his health. I wish him the best.
"I know you can fight... but, it's our WITS that make us men."

#5 Dangelvil

Dangelvil

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 07:44 PM

As much as I like the big show in the ring. My favorite thing that he does are apparences on Late night with Conan O'Brien. He has a great Personallity wich we rarely got to see in the ring.
You've got red on you.

#6 mrshakehands

mrshakehands

Mansquito

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 02:48 PM

yeah... hes much better out of the ring than in it. thats for sure. his comedic presence just doesnt make him into a beliveable heel. even when hes trying to act all angry and mad, he still comes off with this funny vibe... but the downside is that big menacing men like him dont make great faces either. it just doesnt work.. and i am surprised he has even lasted as long in the business as he has. when he first came out in wcw i think they even tried to tote him as being andre the giants nephew or something? right.

the big slow should have been out a long while ago... and why the ecw title was put on him when theres much more deserving and hard working guys is beyond me. RVD could carry that belt and OWN ecw.. i mean come on, hes mr monday night, mr friday night... hell,.. hes mr everynight.

and cm punk? its been a long time coming for that dude to get what he deserves because hes been through hell and high water to get where he is.

#7 redneckhillbilly

redneckhillbilly

Sleestak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 12:22 AM

me glud tu b hereing o Hulk Hogan retern.

#8 BeansyMcPork

BeansyMcPork

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:10 PM

Honestly, the Big Show is a very good big man worker in the ring these days, and as far as giants go he's probably second only to 1970s Andre in workrate. He bumps far more than he needs to for a man his size. He used to suck, I agree, but around 2002 when he started working with Brock Lesnar he started improving tremendously. Right now he's probably one of my ten or twelve favorite WWE guys to watch in the ring, and certainly above average. People his size in wrestling more often are total stiffs like the Great Khali. The Great Khali may look physically impressive and have a far healthier looking physique than the Big Show, but in the ring he makes the Big Show look like a mid-80s Ric Flair.

Anyway it's sad that he's leaving, but yeah it's probably what's best for his health (he really needs to lose 120 lbs. too, while he's at it). If I were Vince I'd try and sign him for a short term contract-extension through Wrestlemania, and then move Benoit over to ECW to replace him, as without the Big Show ECW is even more screwed for star-power.

#9 BeansyMcPork

BeansyMcPork

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (Bloodwynd @ Oct 29 2006, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It sounds like RVD isn't taking responsibility for his actions if McMahon is so determined to keep him from being Champion. Lord knows he's never had problems having champions with questionable pasts, before.

The hell is this supposed to mean? RVD's taken "responsibility" for his actions by pleading guilty in court and paying his fine. If you think RVD and Sabu are the only wrestlers who smoke pot you're living in a dreamland. If you think Vince gives a **** that two of wrestlers smoke dope, again, you're living in a dreamland. RVD got _caught_, that's the problem. Vince McMahon thrives on negative publicity, but not when it comes to drugs, considering the company nearly imploded and he nearly went to jail in the early 90s after the steroid scandal, and now he's hyper-sensitive about that sort of thing. Rob Van Dam was a sitting World Champion when he got caught. Vince McMahon had finally warmed up to the guy but now he thinks he's not trustworthy to hold that title and not cause him the sort of mainstream embarassment that he doesn't want. Well, it sucks for him (McMahon) because the only three credible ECW Champions right now are the Big Show, RVD, and Sabu (oh and _maybe_ the Sandman).

QUOTE (mrshakehands @ Oct 31 2006, 02:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and cm punk? its been a long time coming for that dude to get what he deserves because hes been through hell and high water to get where he is.

Whuh, wait, he has? It's not that he doesn't deserve his spot, but what are you referring to? He hasn't had any major injuries as far as I know. Never had a substance abuse problem (he legit lives his gimmick; well, except maybe the monogamy part of the Straight Edge creedo). As far as I know he's never lost a close friend in the business or been through a divorce. He's wrestled for seven years or so, and while not a rookie he's not really a grizzled veteran either, and was an indy star who was able to make a full-time living off of wrestling prior to entering the WWE developmental program, and is a guy who got a push from day one in (WWE developmental fed) OVW and again in ECW. It's true that unlike a lot of people in the WWE he got to where he was entirely because of his skill and not because of his physique or backstage politicking, but still, I really don't know what you're talking about. Is there something in particular you're referring to?

#10 trickman

trickman

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:22 AM

CM Punk hasn't suffered major injuries? I suppose you don't know alot about his Ring of Honor days.

#11 ecwscifiguy

ecwscifiguy

Sleestak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:17 AM

CM Punk is pretty much deaf in one ear, that isn't serious at all! (sarcasm) He was close friends with Eddie Guerrero, and he was working for peanuts for a while before he started to make a decent living. His feud with raven in ROH is really what made people start talking about him. And when you compare him to alot of WWE talent, I would certaintly call him pretty grizzled.

#12 Bloodwynd

Bloodwynd

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 157 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (BeansyMcPork @ Nov 1 2006, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The hell is this supposed to mean? RVD's taken "responsibility" for his actions by pleading guilty in court and paying his fine. If you think RVD and Sabu are the only wrestlers who smoke pot you're living in a dreamland. If you think Vince gives a **** that two of wrestlers smoke dope, again, you're living in a dreamland. RVD got _caught_, that's the problem. Vince McMahon thrives on negative publicity, but not when it comes to drugs, considering the company nearly imploded and he nearly went to jail in the early 90s after the steroid scandal, and now he's hyper-sensitive about that sort of thing. Rob Van Dam was a sitting World Champion when he got caught. Vince McMahon had finally warmed up to the guy but now he thinks he's not trustworthy to hold that title and not cause him the sort of mainstream embarassment that he doesn't want. Well, it sucks for him (McMahon) because the only three credible ECW Champions right now are the Big Show, RVD, and Sabu (oh and _maybe_ the Sandman).

Oh dear. It appears that I have stuck my foot in it this time. I guess I should agree to stay off of the message board until the next PPV.

Sorry. I should have stuck an "almost" before sounds. I'm not trying to bash the reputation of Rob Van Dam. I'm one of the biggest marks for the guy and want to see him get the reward that he deserves for his ability. I'm well aware that Rob is taking responsibility for what he did by pleading guilty, paying his fine, and serving his month-long suspension. I'm also very grounded in the reality of promoters turning a blind eye to their athletes' negative activity so long as it doesn't hurt the product that they are making money in. I even remember Vince's steroid scandal back in the 90s very well.

I'm just trying to figure out why RVD should continue to be punished if everything has been resolved with the courts and with the company. I realize that right now is not a good time because the story is still fresh. But, never??? If Rob turns over a new leaf and gives up drugs entirely, becomes completely clean and a model citizen. Shouldn't he be rewarded? I don't like the finality of the word "never", but Rob screwed up and Vince is being hyper-sensitive. It sucks but it's also completely understandable.

I'm not looking to start a fight with you, or anyone for that matter. I've read some of your other posts and actually love your comments about wrestling.
"I know you can fight... but, it's our WITS that make us men."

#13 BeansyMcPork

BeansyMcPork

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 12:33 AM

Which is why I said "as far as I know." I wasn't aware that the ruptured eardrum he suffered a year ago was that serious since he was wrestling again a week later. Punk was "friends" with Guerrero, I'll give you that. Guerrero also had dozens of friends just among wrestlers who were closer. Were he and Punk even on more than a dozen cards together (all within four months)? Did they have more than three or four matches together? If he really can't hear in that ear, that's quite unfortunate, I wasn't aware of that. I would not put him at the same level as oh, fellow ECW-ites Sabu or the Sandman if you want to talk about the _long_ road to the WWE, accumulating injuries that would retire most wrestlers. Or the afforementioned Benoit. Angle (who also can't hear in one ear) and Foley (whose missing one) also both have him pretty soundly beat when it comes to suffering for the business.

Trickman, I'm quite familiar with his Ring Of Honor days, and I'm pretty sure he never missed a significant amount of time due to injury. If you are referring to something or somethings specific, feel free to tell me what.

As for his pre-ROH stuff, I did some research and he did suffer at least one significant injury when Reckless Youth cracked his skull in 2002. I'm not sure how much time he missed but it was no more than four months. As for him working for peanuts while having a job on the side, that describes almost every indy wrestler out there. The fact that after a few years he was able to fully support himself by wrestling is something over nine-out-of-ten indy wrestlers never experience. This is a testament to Punk's abilities, and he deserves what he's gotten, but I don't see him as having particularly suffered. If you consider those two injuries in a six year career going through "hell and high water," fine, whatever. Agree to disagree and all that jazz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users