701 replies to this topic

#1 hyperfrak

hyperfrak

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 350 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:36 PM

My interest is in FTL, (faster-than-light) space travel. Any ideas on the "fabric" of space-time and how FTL might be possible. This is pure speculation. Proof is not a requirement.
Dimensional Collapse and Zero-dimensions: a model and theory for space-time travel that side-steps the relativistic speed-of-light barrier. Dimensional Collapse Link (first page) or Dimensional Collapse and Zero-dimension (most recent post) .

Pg 7-#120-Minkowski space-time #122-Dimensional Collapse #125-String Theory-Wormholes
Pg8-#146-Side-stepping Relativity #148 Dimensions according to Dimensional Collapse #154-Time-dilation formulae and space-time #160- ElectroWeak Theory and Forces of Nature
Pg9-#162 Energy-#180 FTL and Dimensional Collapse
Pg12-#225-Addressing comments-Incompleteness Theorum-Guths' inflation-Wormholes[/color] #237-First expression of time is 2-d
Pg13-#249 Width and Length without EM Force#254 Dark Matter-Dark Energy, Space-Time becomes Time-Space #256 Dimensional Collapse applied to Singularities, Wormholes and The Big Bang
Pg17-#311 The basic premise of Dimensional Collapse and Zero-Dimensions #333 Gravity creates space-time and the secondary explosion from time-space, [also, update on Dark Matter]#338 A Paperclip scientist and zero point energy, the 'exchange mechanism', Gravity is a wave, Black Holes and the velocity of Quasars, Dark Matter halo around galaxies as an energy wave from the central black hole #358 Our 4-d universe is closed
Pg19-#361 Time Theory - A Time-jump Machine - and a Jump-drive for a combat effective Viper #366 DVD's - To: RDM - Robots and A.I. #367Update - Update -Blackholes - Gravity1 spac-time - Instantaneous Communication Using Gravity2 time-space #368 The Sweet Spot #369 New Updates-Hardened machines corrected - 1910 Sun Tzu "The Art of War" - Time-lines and Time-jumps #370 Models' Name - NAVI #372 Pi-calculation Error in 1958 Meier Prophecy #373 Link Correction to Pi-calculation Error - Meier contact 251 - TO: Rat-catcher #377 Jumping Information with 1530 nm fiber-optics #378 - "THE PLAN"
Pg20-#388 Bose-Einstein Condensate and The Sweet Spot #396 - ETHER - Gravity Tides Pg21-#401 Tesla-Ether-WWII & WWIII

#2 Ithica

Ithica

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (hyperfrak @ Nov 2 2006, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My interest is in FTL, (faster-than-light) space travel. Any ideas on the "fabric" of space-time and how FTL might be possible. This is pure speculation. Proof is not a requirement.

This show uses the theory of space folding where the fabric at point A is bent to touch the fabric at point B and the ship just "jumps" from A to B. There is a web site that wenty into a lengthy explainantion of this but I never book marked it.

This theory is different from the Trek warp. In Trek the ships created a warp bubble of subspace around the ship. The bubbles then expanded and contracted moving the ship through subspace. Inside the bubble the ship never leaves normal space and never exceeds the speed of light.

Both theories require huge amounts of energy greater than anything we have available or may ever have available.

Sorry, got the geek going in me.

#3 WakkaWakka

WakkaWakka

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:00 PM

I forget which novel I read that explained it this way.

There are alternate universes. Going from home to market may be one mile. Crossing into the right parallel universe, walking 10 feet, then crossing back may place you right next to the market. Trick is finding the right parallel universe for the trip. Oh, and they may be hostiles there.
Posted Image
Banner sig the spawn of the lovely talented TrueXena!
Posted Image

#4 SVRaven

SVRaven

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,958 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:00 PM

Yeah...technically speaking the BSG FTL is not really faster than light since nothing seems to be approaching c it's more like folding a piece of paper and stabbing a pencil through it. This would probably be the most likely way to achieve travel since you are cutting distance to two overlapping points. Better than a wormhole since those are "shorter" but not instanteous.

"Most relationships are over before they end."

There is no Y in Roslin.

#5 Hypothetical

Hypothetical

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:04 PM

Well, less than 100 years ago people thought breaking the sound barrier would be impossible. Now we do it daily, and by multiple factors.

We probably won't break the light barrier within the next ten years, but in the next 50....who knows.

I've always liked the Alderson Tram lines from "A Mote in God's Eye." Possibly a little far fetched, but believably written.

#6 Hypothetical

Hypothetical

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 06:06 PM

QUOTE (WakkaWakka @ Nov 2 2006, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are alternate universes. Going from home to market may be one mile. Crossing into the right parallel universe, walking 10 feet, then crossing back may place you right next to the market. Trick is finding the right parallel universe for the trip. Oh, and they may be hostiles there.

I do believe you are thinking of "The Talismen" my Stephen King, and the theory of the Territories.

#7 1curmudgeon

1curmudgeon

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (hyperfrak @ Nov 2 2006, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have read theories that conclude that by reducing the mass a vehicle presents to the universe to *nearly-nothing* by means of gravity inversion, it becomes possible to do all sorts of strange things. It works like this:
Even light has mass, as does all forms of electromagnetic energy. If you reduce your apparent mass to light's, then you can travel as fast as light.
But if you reduce it to less than light, you can travel faster than light. The problem is that sometimes light acts like a particle, sometimes like a wave. Scientists have recently concluded that since gravity behaves like radio waves, i.e., it obeys the inverse square law, gravity is a wave.
The science of gravity is at approximately the same state as radio was 100 years ago. As Hypothetical says, in the 20th century many things thought impossible became commonplace. Even now, scientists seek to exploit the energies of artificial quantum singularities at Sandia Labs, much as Doc Ock tried in Spider Man 2. Scientists are also attempting to construct a quantum supercomputer in the hope of being able to link with other computers in parallel dimensions, as Wakka Wakka mentions.
A lot of what we read about today goes back to an article I read in Omni magazine over 25 years ago written by a guy who claimed he worked at Area 51 reverse-engineering a captured alien spacecraft. It used stable trans-uranic elements as its power source, and achieved FTL by "pulling" itself to its destination via gravity warping. Physicists are learning how to create those very elements even today.
My grandmother was born in the same year the Wright Brothers made history. She passed in 1975, but what wonders she saw.
It is a fact that many of the technological wonders we enjoy today were either the stuff of science fiction, or were once considered impossible.
As soon as astronomers find a planet similar to Earth, and they should within about 20 years or so, the first serious FTL experiments will commence.
I envy those of you who are younger than 30.

#8 MalcolmXII

MalcolmXII

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:10 PM

Well you can't.

Which is why you must turn the light off, first. dry.gif
The views, opinions, findings and/or conclusions of the author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the MalcolmXII, or MalCorp, Inc., and shall not be used for advertising or endorsement purposes, or to take personal offense.

Comment posted in this Thread may contain hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and private organizations. These links and pointers are provided for visitors' convenience. MalcolmXII does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of any linked information, which may in fact be randomly selected nonsense. Further, the inclusion of links or pointers to Threads or Web sites other than a MalCorp-managed Thread is not intended to assign importance to those sites and the information contained therein, nor is it intended to endorse, recommend, or favor any views expressed on these outside sites, or the organizations sponsoring the sites, or in fact signify anything, whatsoever.

Reference in these Comments to any specific ideas, concepts, services, activities or whims, or the use of any name, corporate or personal, real or hallucinatory, living or dead, is for the information and convenience of the Thread's visitors, and does not constitute endorsement, recommendation or favoring, nor guarantee accuracy, veracity, or sensitivity by MalcolmXII or MalCorp, Inc.

MalcolmXII and MalCorp Inc. accept no legal liability or responsibility for any claims made or opinions expressed herein.

#9 galacticaimaginary

galacticaimaginary

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:21 PM

If you're really interested there is an interesting articles of all the possible ways a FTL drive could work...

http://www.answers.c...ster-than-light

From what I understand, it is theoretically possible to travel faster than light. But a lot of things are theoretically possible. I don't think we're going to see this in our life time.

#10 GoonSquad

GoonSquad

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:27 PM

Okay, here's what you do... First eat a large box of ex-lax, followed by all the jalapenos you can get your hands on. Next... do you have a trampoline?
1500 base drum luggin' bug-eyed monkeys!
Posted Image

Things Badmin1 has taught me:
don't make posts about the correlation between latent homosexuality and wrestling on the
ECW board.
Say NO to PC censorship!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

#11 FishSpeaker

FishSpeaker

Caprican

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:30 PM

QUOTE (WakkaWakka @ Nov 2 2006, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This sounds like "Nine Princes in Amber" by Roger Zelazny and the many sequels...
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
"Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."
Chuck Norris sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled martial arts ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Chuck roundhouse-kicked the devil in the face and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker every second Wednesday of the month.

#12 MalcolmXII

MalcolmXII

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:34 PM

QUOTE (FishSpeaker @ Nov 2 2006, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This sounds like "Nine Princes in Amber" by Roger Zelazny and the many sequels...

I don't like that parallel universe. It looks exactly the same, but my PIN number doesn't work. sad.gif
The views, opinions, findings and/or conclusions of the author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the MalcolmXII, or MalCorp, Inc., and shall not be used for advertising or endorsement purposes, or to take personal offense.

Comment posted in this Thread may contain hypertext links or pointers to information created and maintained by other public and private organizations. These links and pointers are provided for visitors' convenience. MalcolmXII does not control or guarantee the accuracy, relevance, timeliness, or completeness of any linked information, which may in fact be randomly selected nonsense. Further, the inclusion of links or pointers to Threads or Web sites other than a MalCorp-managed Thread is not intended to assign importance to those sites and the information contained therein, nor is it intended to endorse, recommend, or favor any views expressed on these outside sites, or the organizations sponsoring the sites, or in fact signify anything, whatsoever.

Reference in these Comments to any specific ideas, concepts, services, activities or whims, or the use of any name, corporate or personal, real or hallucinatory, living or dead, is for the information and convenience of the Thread's visitors, and does not constitute endorsement, recommendation or favoring, nor guarantee accuracy, veracity, or sensitivity by MalcolmXII or MalCorp, Inc.

MalcolmXII and MalCorp Inc. accept no legal liability or responsibility for any claims made or opinions expressed herein.

#13 malclave

malclave

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 328 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (GoonSquad @ Nov 2 2006, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay, here's what you do... First eat a large box of ex-lax, followed by all the jalapenos you can get your hands on. Next... do you have a trampoline?

No, but if I have a cup of really HOT tea, will that help?

I vaguely remember reading (early 1980's) an essay in a pop science magazine which explained how it could be done, theoretically. IIRC, it involved somehow converting mass from Real to Imaginary (i, in mathematical terms), essentially moving from sub-light speed to faster-than-light without ever actually beaing at the speed of light, a theoretical impossibility. I guess that's one explanation of "hyperspace".

#14 Zice39

Zice39
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:42 PM

travelling... without moving...

#15 frackitall

frackitall

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (galacticaimaginary @ Nov 2 2006, 10:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I understand, it is theoretically possible to travel faster than light. But a lot of things are theoretically possible. I don't think we're going to see this in our life time.

Einstein proved time travel is possible with a ship that can travel at the speed of light. IE: Do a google search about the twin paradox.

#16 GoonSquad

GoonSquad

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:47 PM

QUOTE (Zice39 @ Nov 2 2006, 07:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
travelling... without moving...

Yeah... helps if you look like this too.

1500 base drum luggin' bug-eyed monkeys!
Posted Image

Things Badmin1 has taught me:
don't make posts about the correlation between latent homosexuality and wrestling on the
ECW board.
Say NO to PC censorship!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

#17 MalcolmXII

MalcolmXII

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (GoonSquad @ Nov 2 2006, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah... helps if you look like this too.

Thanks for the reminder--time to get to the gym. sad.gif

#18 Zenarie

Zenarie

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:27 AM

How about an Infinite Improbability Drive? For anyone who doesn't know, the Infinite Improbability Drive is a wonderful new method of crossing interstellar distances in a few seconds; without all that tedious mucking about in hyperspace. As the Improbability Drive reaches infinite improbability, it passes through every conceivable point in every conceivable universe almost simultaneously. In other words, you're never sure where you'll end up or even what species you'll be when you get there. It's therefore important to dress accordingly. The Infinite Improbability Drive was invented following research into finite improbability which was often used to break the ice at parties by making all the molecules in the hostess' undergarments leap one foot simultaneously to the left in accordance with the theory of indeterminacy. Many respectful physicists said they wouldn't go to stand for that sort of thing, partly because it was a debasement of science, but mostly because they didn't get invited to those sort of parties.

Yes, I know I'm silly.

#19 RandomBullethead

RandomBullethead

Sleestak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 09:53 AM

QUOTE (Zenarie @ Nov 3 2006, 06:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How about an Infinite Improbability Drive? For anyone who doesn't know, the Infinite Improbability Drive is a wonderful new method of crossing interstellar distances in a few seconds; without all that tedious mucking about in hyperspace. As the Improbability Drive reaches infinite improbability, it passes through every conceivable point in every conceivable universe almost simultaneously. In other words, you're never sure where you'll end up or even what species you'll be when you get there. It's therefore important to dress accordingly. The Infinite Improbability Drive was invented following research into finite improbability which was often used to break the ice at parties by making all the molecules in the hostess' undergarments leap one foot simultaneously to the left in accordance with the theory of indeterminacy. Many respectful physicists said they wouldn't go to stand for that sort of thing, partly because it was a debasement of science, but mostly because they didn't get invited to those sort of parties.

Yes, I know I'm silly.

Under the laws of physics you cannot exceed the speed of light due to the amount of energy it takes to approach the light barrier. I beleive it was einstein who explained that the closer you apporach the speed of light, the amount of energy necessary increases exponentially---to break the speed of light would require an infinite amount of energy so you would cease to exist. Maybee, i described that wrong--but the bottom line is, you cannot achieve faster than light travel by simply putting a bigger engine on a ship--hence the reason why there are all sorts of alternate theories about how to travel great distances in space without actually achieving the speed of light. A "jump" or "fold" involves folding space around the ship---the paper example described above. In star trek, the ships create a "warp bubble" of subspace that actually expands and contracts and "pushes" the ship through real space. Then there are slipstream theories, or theories about creating your own mini wormhole----much like the "jump" theory. The nice thing about the "jump" or "fold" theory is that you avoid the physics problem and avoid having all your characters on the ship stay the same age while the people back home age 50 years
---Peace is the result of superior firepower.

---Civilization is the process of freeing man from man.

#20 escapecar

escapecar

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:08 AM

Time is an illusion.

Lunchtime, doubly so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users