• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Nicolai

Daniel Nicolai

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:05 PM

I have found quite a few of the BSG layouts from the internet. The biggest help was a scene from the Mini-Series when Tyrol was going over the damage control computer and it had all of the levels plainly marked with most of the corridors marked as well. Another big help was (I think) the episode Valley of Darkness when the Toasters got in and they had to go back to that loverly damage control screen to make their plans.

From all of these sources I have bits and pieces of the BSG, but I'm wondering if anyone has done some real work to getting an accurate blueprint of the ship. This is what I have so far as for where things are located (I guessed on the observation deck)

http://www.danielnic.../bsg-layout.gif
(I used an image from an original BSG fansite for this)

I'm trying to get a multi-level deckplan together also. The whole plan for it is that I'm trying to make a Text MUD (That's a MMORPG prior to 1998). The layouts aren't too tough, but it's just getting it all together. I figure that it works on about four main levels as follows.

3rd Floor
  • Missile Launcers
  • Automatic Turret Guns
  • Fuel Tank Access
  • Engine Access

2nd Floor
  • Bridge
  • Officer Quarters
  • Main Engine Access

1st Floor
  • Observation Lounge
  • Main Sensor Array
  • Crew Quarters (Baracks)
  • Heavy Weaponry Storrage
  • Combat Ready Room
  • Access to Landing Bays
  • Launch Tubes
  • Main Energizer (Engine Room)

Landing Bay Pods
  • Huge Room for ships to come in and dock. Two Stories Tall.
  • Launch Tubes Hatch (20-40 each side)

This is all guesswork on the most part. I did see the CIC in a window when the BSG was doing one of it's heavy attacks against a baseship though. So that part I know. There was also the scene when Billy (God I miss him..) and D were in the Obs Lounge, it looked to be in the nose due to the flyby.

Of course.. if anyone has an actual layout that would be much better. Heh.

#2 wlbblw

wlbblw

Sleestak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:13 PM

The thing is, I don't think the producers/directors/writers will be pinned down to any one set of plans. The show is somewhat fluid in that respect, since they don't release a lot of technical aspects in any sort of print material. They have said before they would hate to commit to having something one way and then later in the series, have to contradict it.

#3 SanDiegoJohnny

SanDiegoJohnny

Sleestak

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:35 PM

Good work man! I hope that some sort of technical manuals or maybe a DK book will come out someday so we can see more about the colonies and the old bird.

#4 DennisLX

DennisLX

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:57 PM

QUOTE (wlbblw @ Nov 18 2006, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thing is, I don't think the producers/directors/writers will be pinned down to any one set of plans. The show is somewhat fluid in that respect, since they don't release a lot of technical aspects in any sort of print material. They have said before they would hate to commit to having something one way and then later in the series, have to contradict it.

*sigh*

i agree

this is not star trek
Posted Image
Let the fraggles play!!

#5 Ki Ryn

Ki Ryn

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:09 AM

Galactica is over 4500ft long and tall enough to have 50+ decks. I would think that there would be quite a stretch of space between say, the bridge, pilot's quarters, and flight deck but we never see any sort of people mover (or even an elevator!). Is there ever a hint given as to how folks get around, especially when time is critical?

And looking at the 'arms' that hold the flight pods, that must be some funky sort of lift that can take people from the horizontal part of the arm, down the angle and then UNDER the landing area to the hangar bays. Assuming the pilots live somewhere in the main body of the ship, it must be quite a circus when battlestations are called and they all need to get to their vipers in a hurry.

I'm working on a set of deckplans as well, so I have to make a guess as to where things are (whether the TV folks have or not).

#6 bathtbgin

bathtbgin

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:37 AM

Just from looking at that picture you can tell its the old school galactica. Which means it has nothing to do with with the current model. Perhaps when the series is over they will release a series of technical manuals.

Ghaaa,

You made me post in a dead thread.
SG-1 Is Teh Suck

Posted Image

#7 markviidriver

markviidriver

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (DennisLX @ Nov 18 2006, 11:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*sigh*

i agree

this is not star trek

I'm getting tired of folks ragging on Star Trek. Star Trek proved that a science fiction program with continuing characters, written by actual science fiction authors for more mature sensabilities was financially viable on network television. Shows like Babylon 5, and later Battlestar Galactica certainly have progressed the evolution of the medium, but don't kid yourselves into thinking that they would even exist without classic Star Trek's example.

Oh, and keep in mind that the "Starfleet Technical Manual" was created after Star Trek went off the air, because the producers of Star Trek also felt that they didn't want to set the ship layout in stone and contradict it later. (Although I don't see why, 40 years later, one can't lay down the layout of a fiction vessel and stay consistant with that blueprint for the duration of a program's run. Babylon 5 did.)
Kill Cylons

Kill Cylons

KILL MORE FRAKKING CYLONS!

#8 Ki Ryn

Ki Ryn

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (bathtbgin @ Apr 19 2007, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just from looking at that picture you can tell its the old school galactica. Which means it has nothing to do with with the current model. Perhaps when the series is over they will release a series of technical manuals.
Ghaaa,

You made me post in a dead thread.

The thread's not dead. It's also not about Star Trek smile.gif. And the 'current model' has the exact same sort of arms holding the flight pods as the original - only now they move! That's got to make it even more exciting to get from your bunk to your viper while nukes are bouncing off the hull.

I know that there is no actual blueprint that the TV guys are using but I need to get SOMETHING down on paper and I'd like to match up with what little (if anything) there is, be it sketches, screen caps, script dialog, or just random comments from the creators.

Attached Thumbnails

• BSGAW_20_49__1_.jpg

#9 stopfrakingwithme

stopfrakingwithme

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 497 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 03:21 PM

http://stores.ebay.c...8QQftidZ2QQtZkm

ask these guys.

Posted Image

#10 bathtbgin

bathtbgin

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 09:54 AM

QUOTE (Ki Ryn @ Apr 19 2007, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The thread's not dead. It's also not about Star Trek smile.gif. And the 'current model' has the exact same sort of arms holding the flight pods as the original - only now they move! That's got to make it even more exciting to get from your bunk to your viper while nukes are bouncing off the hull.

I know that there is no actual blueprint that the TV guys are using but I need to get SOMETHING down on paper and I'd like to match up with what little (if anything) there is, be it sketches, screen caps, script dialog, or just random comments from the creators.

The last post before you brought it back was Nov 18 2006, 11:57 it was very dead n00b. But if you need it, i'm in the the proc of getting HD screens of a few episodes that will show a ship layout.
SG-1 Is Teh Suck

Posted Image

#11 Ki Ryn

Ki Ryn

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:03 AM

About the ebay blueprints. It's strange but those guys selling the copyrighted material without a license seem to have taken down their website and contact info. Those were just external renders anyway (though nice looking ones no doubt).

Heh n00b. Yea, I got no idea how these fancy internetz work and this is the first forum to which I have ever posted. But anyway, HD screens would be much appreciated, especially things like these but with legible text:

Attached Thumbnails

• galactica1_1_.jpg
  • galactica2_1_.jpg

#12 bathtbgin

bathtbgin

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (Ki Ryn @ Apr 20 2007, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
About the ebay blueprints. It's strange but those guys selling the copyrighted material without a license seem to have taken down their website and contact info. Those were just external renders anyway (though nice looking ones no doubt).
Heh n00b. Yea, I got no idea how these fancy internetz work and this is the first forum to which I have ever posted. But anyway, HD screens would be much appreciated, especially things like these but with legible text:

I'm only on the mini series now and unfortunately the connection to the site is slow and its taking me like an hour to download an episode each.

here's the site so if you know the episodes you want you can grab em yourself, and if i see any layouts in the eps i get i'll post em as well.

http://ariane.crysta...f...ms/cms&id=7
SG-1 Is Teh Suck

Posted Image

#13 ecohen

ecohen

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:21 AM

The observation deck is where you have the bridge. Remember the episode with Billy and Dee up there? Its the place on the front of the ship with the window.

Similarly, the CIC is usually nestled deep within aircraft carriers, and the galactica would be no different. Also, people go up a stairway to reach the airlock into the aircraft pods.
"Please don't disillusion me. I haven't had breakfast yet." - Ender

"Its OK. I'm a leaf on the wind."
"What does that MEAN!?!?"

#14 Ki Ryn

Ki Ryn

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:37 AM

Excellent! Thanks for the link and layout info. I recall the Billy & Dee episode (though not the title). I'll try to dig it up.

#15 RonMaverick804

RonMaverick804

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 324 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (bathtbgin @ Apr 20 2007, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm only on the mini series now and unfortunately the connection to the site is slow and its taking me like an hour to download an episode each.

here's the site so if you know the episodes you want you can grab em yourself, and if i see any layouts in the eps i get i'll post em as well.

http://ariane.crysta...f...ms/cms&id=7

holy frak
You should go. Remember what I said Gaius, you don't want to be here when it happens.

#16 bathtbgin

bathtbgin

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (RonMaverick804 @ Apr 20 2007, 10:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
holy frak

beats galactiacabbs dont it?
SG-1 Is Teh Suck

Posted Image

#17 WhosisKid

WhosisKid

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (Daniel Nicolai @ Nov 18 2006, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have found quite a few of the BSG layouts from the internet. The biggest help was a scene from the Mini-Series when Tyrol was going over the damage control computer and it had all of the levels plainly marked with most of the corridors marked as well. Another big help was (I think) the episode Valley of Darkness when the Toasters got in and they had to go back to that loverly damage control screen to make their plans.

From all of these sources I have bits and pieces of the BSG, but I'm wondering if anyone has done some real work to getting an accurate blueprint of the ship. This is what I have so far as for where things are located (I guessed on the observation deck)
http://www.danielnic.../bsg-layout.gif
(I used an image from an original BSG fansite for this)

I'm trying to get a multi-level deckplan together also. The whole plan for it is that I'm trying to make a Text MUD (That's a MMORPG prior to 1998). The layouts aren't too tough, but it's just getting it all together. I figure that it works on about four main levels as follows.

3rd Floor
  • Missile Launcers
  • Automatic Turret Guns
  • Fuel Tank Access
  • Engine Access
2nd Floor
  • Bridge
  • Officer Quarters
  • Main Engine Access
1st Floor
  • Observation Lounge
  • Main Sensor Array
  • Crew Quarters (Baracks)
  • Heavy Weaponry Storrage
  • Combat Ready Room
  • Access to Landing Bays
  • Launch Tubes
  • Main Energizer (Engine Room)
Landing Bay Pods
  • Huge Room for ships to come in and dock. Two Stories Tall.
  • Launch Tubes Hatch (20-40 each side)
This is all guesswork on the most part. I did see the CIC in a window when the BSG was doing one of it's heavy attacks against a baseship though. So that part I know. There was also the scene when Billy (God I miss him..) and D were in the Obs Lounge, it looked to be in the nose due to the flyby.

Of course.. if anyone has an actual layout that would be much better. Heh.

Just a general comment more about the set than the blueprints. One thing I really miss from the mini series as opposed to the series was the original set. The series is filmed on a different set than the miniseries and my understanding is that "Galactica" is cut into a couple of hunks instead of the longer, contiguous set in the mini series. We lose a lot of potential because of that. Contrast it with FIREFLY, where you had Serenity existing in two big hunks. With a wipe you could easily get a long shot where someone walked from the pilot deck all the way back into the engine room and then down into the cargo bay and the medic bay. Never, ever has any Sci-fi series had such a viscerally real ship as Serenity. We most likely never will again. Galactica is, of course, far too huge to get a set large enough to do the kinds of shots they did on FIREFLY, but nonetheless, had they managed to keep the original set they would have been able to do far more than they have.
Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others. - Groucho Marx

#18 adorablerocket

adorablerocket

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:28 PM

QUOTE (Ki Ryn @ Apr 19 2007, 03:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow that is a beautiful image! Anybody know where to get more of those?!

Also... just a dorky thought... maybe they can retract the pods when they have to move large items from one pod to the other through the center of the hull - does that make sense? Maybe they did that when they moved the Mark II's from the Museum to the port pod in the Mini-series but just didn't show it on screen?

As for getting to your Viper from your bunk, I'm sure the answer involves slides! happy.gif
My Battlestar ramblings...

When I was a child I thought as a child and loved the Ewoks. When I grew older I hated their fuzzy little wuzzess. Now that I am older and wiser I must confess I think they totally rock. I mean come on! They're a bunch of kick-butt alien teddy bears that totally PWN the Evil Space Nazix! How awesome is that?!

#19 markviidriver

markviidriver

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 283 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (adorablerocket @ Apr 20 2007, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also... just a dorky thought... maybe they can retract the pods when they have to move large items from one pod to the other through the center of the hull - does that make sense? Maybe they did that when they moved the Mark II's from the Museum to the port pod in the Mini-series but just didn't show it on screen?

As for getting to your Viper from your bunk, I'm sure the answer involves slides! happy.gif

In the 1978 show, they had some sort of tram, like a mining cart that ran the viper pilots about a dozen to a cart at high speed from their bunks to the hangar. They only show it in the premier, and perhaps one other episode, but it makes sense to have such a thing, considering that the ship is 4/5 of a mile long. I'm kind of surprised they don't have such a thing on the new ship.
Kill Cylons

Kill Cylons

KILL MORE FRAKKING CYLONS!

#20 Ki Ryn

Ki Ryn

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 April 2007 - 12:41 PM

QUOTE (adorablerocket @ Apr 20 2007, 01:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I finally found where I got that picture:

http://www.galactica...ork/gallery.htm

An excellent reference site overall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users