• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 scroder

scroder

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:00 AM

Hey, does anyone know if any of the main characters leaving was a scripted event, or if those were all the actors descions?

#2 swinebread

swinebread

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:33 PM

I now know that Claudia Christian (Susan Ivanova) left because the show wasnít popular enough.

Andrea Thompson (Talia Winters) left because she didnít want to be a recurring character rather than a cast regular which was the fate of Talia.

Jason Brian Carter (Marcus Cole) was destinded to die at the end of the 4th season, a decsion Straczynski would regret since Claudia Christian left the show.

Michael O'Hare (Jeffrey Sinclair) left for scripting purposes

Julie Caitlin Brown (Na'Toth) left because of problems with the makeup

Mary Kay Adams (Na'Toth) was written out of the series because producers did not like her version of the character.

IIRC, that is biggrin.gif

#3 DebraDownSth

DebraDownSth
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:21 PM

QUOTE (swinebread @ Dec 13 2006, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I now know that Claudia Christian (Susan Ivanova) left because the show wasnít popular enough.

Andrea Thompson (Talia Winters) left because she didnít want to be a recurring character rather than a cast regular which was the fate of Talia.

Jason Brian Carter (Marcus Cole) was destinded to die at the end of the 4th season, a decsion Straczynski would regret since Claudia Christian left the show.

Michael O'Hare (Jeffrey Sinclair) left for scripting purposes

Okay I thought Andrea left over stress working with her exhusband... Doyle.

The Michael O'Hare issue has been reported to be because he ASKED to leave to do plays... but also said they wanted a better actor.

Why did Michael O'Hare leave the series after season one? Most assume, surprisingly, that he quit. Michael did NOT quit. I want that to be 100% part of the record. The short of it is, the powers that be at PTEN (B5's home for the first 4 years) wanted a stronger leading man, so he was quietly forced out. Michael O'Hare is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. He lives in the east coast and ever since leaving the series he has always had glowing things to say about B5. He always wanted the project to succeed, which is what makes his departure from the series so sad.... From JMS and production, it was said that Sinclair's part was to grow smaller in season two, and because of this JMS and O'Hare mutually decided that he should go. However, it is not that simple. A character just can't exit from the B5 universe. JMS had everything planned and now his lead character was taken out of the mixture. This was an event that would change B5 forever. Some aspects of the original story arc were preserved, but it is apparent that a lot was warped.
It is my personal opinion that JMS was faced with a decision at the end of season one, forced on him by PTEN (or possible Warner Bros): Get rid of O'Hare or B5 would be canceled. Not a choice I would like to make.

Yeah, Marcus was killed but it sounds like it was always scripted... it wasn't.
So, why did Straczynski choose to kill off Marcus when he had an obvious opportunity to save the character? Carter doesn't know for sure, but he does suspect that Straczynski's decision had a lot to do with Babylon 5's move from syndication to the TNT cable channel.

"I don't know the details, but when the show went to TNT, there was certainly some trimming, let's say...

#4 swinebread

swinebread

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (DebraDownSth @ Jan 4 2007, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay I thought Andrea left over stress working with her exhusband... Doyle.

The Michael O'Hare issue has been reported to be because he ASKED to leave to do plays... but also said they wanted a better actor.
Yeah, Marcus was killed but it sounds like it was always scripted... it wasn't.

Yeah sounds like there were deeper issues with OíHare and Carter, and Straczynski helped cover these up with some great plotting. But I remember reading someplace (I wish I could remember where) that she didn't want a recurring character role.

#5 swinebread

swinebread

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:22 PM

QUOTE (swinebread @ Jan 17 2007, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah sounds like there were deeper issues with OíHare and Carter, and Straczynski helped cover these up with some great plotting. But I remember reading someplace (I wish I could remember where) that she didn't want a recurring character role.

I found this About Michael O'Hare's Departure
http://www.midwinter...lair-leave.html

#6 Cyclon

Cyclon

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:33 PM

Actually Claudia Christian never intended to leave. She was signed on for S5 but she wanted the condition that they let her sit out for a couple of episodes to do some movies. JMS was perfectly fine with accomodating this but TNT wanted her only under the condition that she was a full time actor. They couldn't come to terms so she split.

#7 swinebread

swinebread

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (Cyclon @ Jan 29 2007, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually Claudia Christian never intended to leave. She was signed on for S5 but she wanted the condition that they let her sit out for a couple of episodes to do some movies. JMS was perfectly fine with accomodating this but TNT wanted her only under the condition that she was a full time actor. They couldn't come to terms so she split.

Interesting, got a link for that? wink.gif

#8 lurker452

lurker452

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 458 posts

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:17 PM

Either way I read that JMS always had "trap doors" for every character so that an actor could move on or be replaced so that he didn't have to deviate far from his original story plan.

edit: which is mentioned in the link concerning Michael O' Hare's departure above
Same Dren, different planet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users