Photo
* * - - - 6 votes

Kevin Sorbo said nasty things about Lucy Lawless (ex-D'Anna)!

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 IsntDaveOne

IsntDaveOne

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,711 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:19 PM

http://www.filmstew....ContentID=15501

Kevin Sorbo is not one to hold a grudge. Still, he admits heís a little bitter about the fact that he has received not one single work call from executive producer Sam Raimi since the end of their very successful TV series collaboration Hercules. Especially since right around the end of Xena: Princess Warrior, the companion series also produced by Raimi, star Lucy Lawless was given a small part in Spider-Man. “I think Lucy got a small part in it because sheís married to Sam Raimiís partner, Rob Tapert,” Sorbo tells FilmStew. “She started having an affair with him down in New Zealand. She left her husband and he left his wife of 15 years. So thatís how that whole thing got together.”

“I busted my a$$ on Hercules and during Season Five, I almost died doing it,” he continues. “I had an aneurism that exploded in my body that almost killed me. I think Iím a good enough actor that he can put me in a secondary part in one of his feature films. It would be nice if he did that.”

“I think heís holding a grudge over me. He wanted me to do a movie back in í96 when I decided to do Kull the Conqueror. He wanted me to do his movie and quite frankly, the movie was horrible. If the movie was so great, let me ask you this, how come he never made it with somebody else?”
The last time Sorbo actually saw Raimi was on the set of the 1999 drama For the Love of the Game, because Sorbo is friends with that filmís star, Kevin Costner. But even then, things were not quite right.

“I was having lunch in Kevinís camper,” Sorbo recalls. “Sam showed up and of course acted all nice and sweet to me. I think he held something back on me and itís just weird. It is very infantile from a guy whoís as powerful as he is and as wealthy as he is to. Throw me a bone. Why not let me do something? Iíd love to play a bad man in one of the Spider-Man things.”

“I think Iíd be great at it, but what are you going to do?” he ponders. “It is what it is and itís unfortunate, but people harbor a lot of resentment and whatever in this business. Jealousy and envy and everything else.” The aforementioned Tapert offered Sorbo a part in the first of Raimiís Grudge remakes, but that too moved quickly from a matter of schedule arranging to what Sorbo sees as another slap in the face. “I said, ĎLetís work out a schedule and see if I can come over and do it,í” Sorbo remembers. “Then I find out that they want me to come in and audition for it. It wasnít that big a part, so I thought, ĎIím not interested.í

“Again, I shed blood, sweat, and tears for Hercules,” says Sorbo. “I gave him a successful spin-off in Xena and Young Hercules, and he says, ĎYouíve got to come in and read for a part thatís really like the seventh lead.í I decided thatís just basically saying F-you.”

“I think he was mad because I didnít do three more years of Hercules. I was completely burnt out. They got seven years out of me, so let me move on to something else. Still to this day Iím grateful for the series. I have friends that Iíve held over from that show forever and I have nothing but great memories of working in New Zealand.”

On the day of his interview with FilmStew, Sorbo was also heading off to a pair of readings for NBC TV pilots. The actor has been offered a series on the CW, but because it shoots in yet another distant corner of the Southern Hemisphere (South Africa), heís for the moment hedging his bets. “I loved New Zealand, but Iím married now,” he explains. “Iíve got three small kids and to go all the way to South Africa to shoot a series is like, ĎUgh!í Weíll see. Iím not opposed to television. I wanted to do more theatrical movies and see what that world brings me right now. I love to the work, so Iím never going to say no to anything that looks good to me.”

Part of the reason Walking Tall 2: The Payback and Walking Tall 3 looked good to Sorbo is because they offered him the opportunity to star in something contemporary. But there was also a light bulb that went off in the businessman part of Sorboís brain.

“The other part was to develop a relationship with Sony as well,” Sorbo reveals. “I looked at it as a positive thing in terms of the business of Hollywood. Iím also a fan of the original movie with Joe Don Baker, so I got to reprise that role and obviously contemporize it with a different name since I really donít look like a Buford.”

“We had a screening at Sony for the sequel and we had a great response,” he adds. “I was pleasantly surprised. I didnít know what to expect considering the budget they gave us and the time element that they restrained us with. I thought it turned out pretty good.” Sorboís sequel does indeed hew closer to the original Joe Don Baker installment rather than the more recent remake starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson. And that, confirms Sorbo, was the intention. “I had talked to Sony before they got The Rock to possibly do that feature film,” he recalls. “The script that I read was closer to this one than [what] The Rock did. Once The Rock signed on, Iím sure they just went into a higher action one for the sake of action.”

“There was a rumor that Walking Tall 2 was going to get released theatrically,” Sorbo continues. “We knew that probably wouldnít happen with the low budget they put on it, but that doesnít necessarily mean they wouldnít have. I always knew it was going to be a straight to DVD release, but I just thought going back more to the original roots and with a little more character development, a little more heart and soul to it, would make it a lot more interesting to do. I carry a stick and a couple times I got to carry a sawed off shotgun as well.”

Sony shot Walking Tall 3 at the same time as 2, and Sorbo says he has heard rumors that they might want to turn the franchise into a TV series. As it stands, Walking Tall 2 is the first time the Mound, Minnesota native has been part of an R-rated flick. “Kull the Conqueror was supposed to be a really dark X-rated film almost with the violence and sex,” Sorbo interjects. “But they rewrote the film so drastically, to my disappointment, and made it a PG because they didnít want to alienate the Hercules audience at the time. But I was like, ĎWho cares? Theyíll come.í”

With Sony leading a charge on straight-to-DVD name brand films, Sorbo is all for the revitalization of this age-old trend. Even though, in the case of the Walking Tall movies, it meant budgets of $2 million and miniscule, 17-day shoots. “I thought they should have had four to five million and a month, but we didnít come close to that,” Sorbo bemoans. “My hat is off our director, Tripp Reed, who just busted his butt. We joined him on some of our days off just to shoot some second unit things. For what they gave us, I think he did an amazing job.”

“They didnít pay me anything, trust me,” he continues. “I made more money on one episode of Hercules than I made on both of these movies back to back. For me it was really something contemporary and fun to do. Considering everything thatís going on in the world right now, I think all of us wish we could just walk down the streets of Baghdad and make every bad guy in the world out there just disappear. Thatís what this guy does.” Sorbo says he is open to the idea of a Walking Tall 4, as long as there is a decent script and director Reed is brought back to guide it. In other words, heís looking for a slightly higher level of commitment on what he saw on one of his most recent TV gigs. “I went in to do two episodes of The O.C. and I ended up doing seven,” Sorbo says. “The first day I was there, Peter Gallagher said to me, ĎBy the way, weíre going to get cancelled. Weíre done.í But Peter said, ĎJust donít say anything.í”

“But you could tell they were done from the lack of care on the set by everybody,” he adds. “It just seemed like everyone was going through the motions. But I still had a good time.” And for all those would-be action stars out there, what advice does Sorbo have for them about Hollywood?

“I tell them to run for the hills,” he insists. “I tell them donít get involved in this business. Itís insane. Once Hercules hit the airwaves, I had everything from a seventh cousin to people who just knew someone in my family asking for advice on being an actor.”

“Iím like, ĎGeez, nobody really showed me the ropes,í” Sorbo continues. “I just went out there and got myself beat up and you learn that way. I think youíve got to really want it and stick with it, because chances are youíre not going to make it.”

What a bitter, bitter man. He's just mad he's a has-been.
Posted Image

#2 franciscus

franciscus

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:26 PM

Two questions:

1. Who is Kevin Sorbo?
2. Who cares about what he says?

Well I think I can answer the first, but I know I can't answer the second. smile.gif
Posted Image

#3 IsntDaveOne

IsntDaveOne

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,711 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (franciscus @ Feb 14 2007, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2. Who cares about what he says?

OhNoTheyDidnt!
Posted Image

#4 moobg

moobg

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:29 PM

My question...Lucy Lawless was in Spiderman? tongue.gif

Also, I agree. Who cares what he says? Since when has he been a good actor?
Posted Image

#5 phantomwhahaa

phantomwhahaa
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:32 PM

the rift between raimi and sorbo really is a shame given that i'm a fan of both of them.
raimi's got a great talent and i'm glad things went so well for him since his well-known
humble beginnings with bruce campbell... but sorbo, like campbell, has his own unique
brand of underrated screen charisma and it's a shame he's never really gotten the
chance to prove that he's got what it takes.

sorbo: when i, phantomwhahaa, become a highly successful screenwriter i will be sure
to write you a come-back leading role in one of my blockbusters.

#6 clivex

clivex

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:32 PM

So where does he call Lucy a whore?

It says she had an affair, what's so unusual about that?
Posted Image

#7 GoonSquad

GoonSquad

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:33 PM

Holy ***** that's long. huh.gif

Could you please highlight the part where Hercules calls xena a dirty, dirty whore? 'Cuz that sounds hot. wub.gif
1500 base drum luggin' bug-eyed monkeys!
Posted Image

Things Badmin1 has taught me:
don't make posts about the correlation between latent homosexuality and wrestling on the
ECW board.
Say NO to PC censorship!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."

#8 moobg

moobg

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:34 PM

QUOTE (clivex @ Feb 14 2007, 03:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So where does he call Lucy a whore?

It says she had an affair, what's so unusual about that?

It was a back-handed insult.

He's saying she only got the part because she was sleeping with Raimi's friend.
Posted Image

#9 OneEyeTy

OneEyeTy

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:36 PM

Wow, that's unfortunate. I always thought he was a good guy and I enjoyed Hercules quite a bit (especially the final season.) As for Raimi and Tapert, it's not Lucy's fault that there is some animosity between these guys. Whoever is in charge of PR for Sorbo needs to be slapped or needs to get a tighter leash on this kind of publicity. Bad news all around.

As for Lucy's "part" in Spiderman, she played a bus driver or some such and her role was less than 12 seconds long. She probably didn't get paid diddly for it. Her stint on BSG has been a great one, but she never got a whole lot of air time (compared to other cylons such as 6 or Boomer/Athena.) He headlined a series (Andromeda.) She hasn't been headlined in any show since Xena and seems content to take on smaller roles as long as they are GOOD and fun.

Bad move on his part, imho.
Posted Image

#10 cenobitetx

cenobitetx

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:40 PM

I never understood this kind of bitterness. He had a job, he did it, it ended. I doubt that the show caused his health problems, anguerisms come spontaneously in many, many people. Just because you work for someone, even if you are effing fantastic, does not obligate them to hire you again, unless they are contracted to do so. I'd suggest he forget about Raimi, move on and work on auditioning for other directors and get another project.
Fleet Wheat: It Makes Life Suck Less!!

#11 sighphi

sighphi

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:45 PM

wasnt Xena in Spider-man for all of.... 10 seconds?
didnt he jump from Herc to Andromeda right quick?
and seriously in the movie industry there are few actors that people work around their schedule........few. and he isnt one.
he should know this.

#12 phantomwhahaa

phantomwhahaa
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:43 PM

kevin does know what he's talking about in terms of lucy lawless tho. she's a strumpet.

#13 aquamonkey

aquamonkey

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 196 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:51 PM

I decided to do Kull the Conqueror. He wanted me to do his movie and quite frankly, the movie was horrible.

Yeah and Kull the Conqueror was clearly the new Citizen Kane!

Sorbo's done alright for himself he had a guest role on the OC laugh.gif

#14 AddictedtoBSG

AddictedtoBSG

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 551 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:51 PM

Kevin Sorbo and Dirk Benedict should hook up and do a series called....

"Bitter Old Has Beens"

The story of 2 really terrible actors hanging on to past glory on some really horrible TV shows.

***spoiler***

this is from season 1 episode 1.

Dirk: hey i'm going to smoke a cigar
Kevin: i don't like smoking
Dirk: I don't give a frak..I'M DIRK BENEDICT.
Kevin: who???
Dirk: I was the original Apollo on Battlestar Galactica/
Kevin: Oh ya...the Han Solo rip off right??
Dirk: ya
Kevin: My agents friends sisters brother says I might get a small part on the new show.
Dirk: WTF???
Kevin: why is your face all red and your veins popping out on your forehead?
Dirk: they never asked me to take part in that show and I'M DIRK BENEDICT!!!
Kevin: who??
Dirk: I was on the A-Team m****r f****r.
Kevin: you were?? were you the guy with the mohawk?
Dirk: no I played a different character but it was pretty much the exact same character I played in Battlestar Galactica.
Kevin: Isn't that one dimensional??
Dirk: ya.
"He was cremated, and I couldn't resist grinding him up with a little bit of blow. My dad wouldn't have cared," he said. "... It went down pretty well, and I'm still alive." - Keith Richards

#15 HarryParatestes

HarryParatestes

Slan du jour

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,204 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:55 PM

What an odd insult.

Oh!

Strumpet.....
Posted Image
The game speaks through all of us differently. Changes us in ways that we can't expect. Stick around long enough, it'll happen to you.

#16 Juice214

Juice214

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:01 PM

and what part of this has to do with BSG?
Karl C. Agathon: Defending the Cylons from humanity with one selfish act at a time.

Agathon!
He is nothing but a low down double dealing back stabbing larcenist perverted worm!
Hanging is to good for him!, Burning is too good for him!
He should be torn into itty bitty pieces and buried alive!

#17 phantomwhahaa

phantomwhahaa
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (aquamonkey @ Feb 14 2007, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah and Kull the Conqueror was clearly the new Citizen Kane! (sarcasm i presume)

he went on to say in the interview that when he signed on for kull it was supposed to be a bloody, sexy, violent good time in the R or X (tho i assume he meant NC-17) ratings. in the end the script got revised down to PG-13 cuz the moneybags were worried about losing the box office revenue from the hercules fanbase, which i guess they assumed were all younger than 17.

#18 phantomwhahaa

phantomwhahaa
  • Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (Juice214 @ Feb 14 2007, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and what part of this has to do with BSG?

lucy lawless played a cylon, model #3, in bsg.

#19 Juice214

Juice214

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 446 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (phantomwhahaa @ Feb 14 2007, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lucy lawless played a cylon, model #3, in bsg.

So some has been actor whines about a actor on BSG and that makes it thread worthy?
Karl C. Agathon: Defending the Cylons from humanity with one selfish act at a time.

Agathon!
He is nothing but a low down double dealing back stabbing larcenist perverted worm!
Hanging is to good for him!, Burning is too good for him!
He should be torn into itty bitty pieces and buried alive!

#20 Sauron18

Sauron18

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,327 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:16 PM

Yeah, she was only on for less than 10 seconds, I doubt she really had to do much to get that part.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users