• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ovaltine

Ovaltine

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 03:34 AM

How would you guys compare these two shows? In an intellectual point of view, The Wire is noticeably deeper. But Battlestar Galactica fits for the audience better. I like to compare these two show because both stress politics and problems of society. The Wire shows urban decay and problems of America today, while BSG is more metaphorical. I do think BSG have many flaws, to be honest, I wouldn't think a military ship on the run will allow democracy in it's fleet. sleep now add more analysis later

#2 maxbell

maxbell

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,782 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 04:00 AM

Never seen "The Wire", but after reading the IMDB synopsis, that may be a good thing. Suddenly, it sounds like a show about narcs. Is it kind of like a reimagined Mod Squad?

I'll stick with basic and BSG. I hate narcs.

C A P R I C A N

#3 Sloane

Sloane

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 566 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:03 AM

Comparing these two shows is rather pointless. The Wire is the best series on television - possibly of all time. The show is in a class of its own and is even far ahead of such exceptional series as The Sopranos, Deadwood or Rome.

#4 Muzribi

Muzribi

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:05 AM

QUOTE (Sloane @ Mar 28 2007, 07:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Comparing these two shows is rather pointless.

Agree 100%

The Wire is the best series on television - possibly of all time. The show is in a class of its own and is even far ahead of such exceptional series as The Sopranos, Deadwood or Rome.

Dont agree. I know people in the area where they film that *** show. Seeing the program is not only depressing and pointless but, hopeless and uninspiring.
Posted Image

#5 Mjolnir2000

Mjolnir2000

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:08 AM

I don't want to pay for HBO, so I'm going with BSG.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.
-Robert A. Heinlein-

#6 Muzribi

Muzribi

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:09 AM

QUOTE (Mjolnir2000 @ Mar 28 2007, 07:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't want to pay for HBO, so I'm going with BSG.

Ya, agree. I just bought the series ROME. Kick arse show and worth seeing if you havent biggrin.gif But, in all reality BSG and ROME are two COMPLETELY different shows, but both are classics in my opinion smile.gif
Posted Image

#7 Space Odyssey

Space Odyssey

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:12 AM

Comparing these two shows is rather pointless. The Wire is the best series on television - possibly of all time. The show is in a class of its own and is even far ahead of such exceptional series as The Sopranos, Deadwood or Rome.

I think Firefly had potential, too bad it got axed

#8 Sloane

Sloane

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 566 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:12 AM

QUOTE (Muzribi @ Mar 28 2007, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dont agree. I know people in the area where they film that *** show. Seeing the program is not only depressing and pointless but, hopeless and uninspiring.

How is it depressing? It might be disillusioning, but depressing is something like the film "Requiem for a Dream".

#9 Muzribi

Muzribi

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (Space Odyssey @ Mar 28 2007, 07:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think Firefly had potential, too bad it got axed

oh man I friggin love that show!!

"Ill be in my bunk"
Posted Image

#10 Muzribi

Muzribi

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 151 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (Sloane @ Mar 28 2007, 07:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How is it depressing? It might be disillusioning, but depressing is something like the film "Requiem for a Dream".

I respect your opinions, seriously. It could just be a matter of preference? Perhaps its because I hated Requiem for a Dream too? LOL. But in all seriousness, my family works in that area, I used to live about 5 miles from there. The series is depressing, uninspiring and worse of all forgets about some people who live there which in my opinion, deserve more credit than a show that portrays everyone in that region as either a coward, a druggie, criminal or "victim." BAH
Posted Image

#11 oophoi8

oophoi8

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 237 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 07:51 AM

QUOTE (Muzribi @ Mar 28 2007, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I respect your opinions, seriously. It could just be a matter of preference? Perhaps its because I hated Requiem for a Dream too? LOL. But in all seriousness, my family works in that area, I used to live about 5 miles from there. The series is depressing, uninspiring and worse of all forgets about some people who live there which in my opinion, deserve more credit than a show that portrays everyone in that region as either a coward, a druggie, criminal or "victim." BAH

Lived 5 miles from where? Where the Wire was filmed?
The clouds are lovely today. As they are everyday. Here's to everything looking up today.

#12 GINOfan

GINOfan

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:00 AM

I love the new BSG (just look at my user name) but The Wire is the greatest television series of our generation. BSG is more fun to watch sometimes, but there's nothing that can compare to what The Wire has accomplished.

#13 GINOfan

GINOfan

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 382 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:01 AM

QUOTE (oophoi8 @ Mar 28 2007, 08:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lived 5 miles from where? Where the Wire was filmed?

The Wire is filmed on the East side of Baltimore (even though most of it takes place in West Baltimore)

#14 DarthRazorback

DarthRazorback

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (Ovaltine @ Mar 28 2007, 03:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How would you guys compare these two shows? In an intellectual point of view, The Wire is noticeably deeper. But Battlestar Galactica fits for the audience better. I like to compare these two show because both stress politics and problems of society. The Wire shows urban decay and problems of America today, while BSG is more metaphorical. I do think BSG have many flaws, to be honest, I wouldn't think a military ship on the run will allow democracy in it's fleet. sleep now add more analysis later

Well, you have just mentioned two of my favorite shows.

As much as I love BSG, it doesn't touch the writing, acting, characters, and story of The Wire. The Wire is just THAT good. It is probably the best show ever written for TV. I know that his high praise and some will automatically dislike it without watching it because it seems like I am putting down BSG, but I am not. I hold The Wire in such high regard that nothing can touch the greatness that I hold in my heart for it.

The Wire is way ahead of its time, which is probably why it doesn't win any awards. People just don't get it, watch it, or understand why it is such an amazing show (sound familiar BSG fans?). First of all, most of the cast is black. Now, this is not some WB all black cast kind of show where black actors are picked up from the street to emote terribly in a show written by people who flunked out of the third grade. No, this is a cast of black actors who are not just the best black actors in the business but the BEST ACTORS IN THE BUSINESS, period. A show with so many great actors that hasn't won an acting award? Hmmmm.... (sound familiar BSG fans?). It also has a rolling story from episode to episode, there are NO STAND ALONE EPISODES. So, if you miss one episode you are probably lost (sound familiar BSG fans?).

The big difference, other than the setting, between BSG and The Wire is that BSG moves a bit faster than The Wire. Though The Wire has a shorter season than BSG, it follows a series of stories over a shorter period of time, and focuses as closely as one can imagine focusing on those stories. You pretty much get the most concentrated view on these elements that you will ever find in a television show. It is documentary-like detail at times. So, the show moves slooooooow and you have to be able to appreciate that or bail out.

Oh, I should stop here... or I will go on and on... I love both shows, but if I had to choose I would go with The Wire.

#15 DarthRazorback

DarthRazorback

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:32 AM

QUOTE (Muzribi @ Mar 28 2007, 07:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The series is depressing, uninspiring and worse of all forgets about some people who live there which in my opinion, deserve more credit than a show that portrays everyone in that region as either a coward, a druggie, criminal or "victim." BAH

I am not buying that you have really watched more than a couple of episodes. The show does NOT portray everyone as a coward, druggie, criminal, or victim.

#16 DarthRazorback

DarthRazorback

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 28 March 2007 - 08:34 AM

I understand you are a big fan of BSG (as am I) but it is not the best show of all time. BSG had Black Market. That in itself means it can never qualify as the greatest series ever. wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users