648 replies to this topic

#641 docblock

docblock

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 268 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 09:21 PM

if i could ask ron moore a question it would be "if you could go back in time and start over would you alienate the fans of the original series before the new show aired?"

#642 RollingPaper

RollingPaper

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:01 PM

Absolutely.
Looking for love in all the wrong places.

#643 RollingPaper

RollingPaper

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:02 PM

With Lemon and Lime Twists.

You owe me.

#644 yongjin02

yongjin02

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 03:07 PM

Mr. Moore, I loved the expressionistic quality of the finale, especially the flashback stuff that had so much wonderful texture missing this season. However, I really have a major problem with the show's final political message of warning about creating artificial intelligence rather than the show's far more insightful notions about the cycle of human violence. One need look no further than the man who popularized the fear of machines turning against us than James Cameron who recently spoke to Sci Fi Wire:
http://scifiwire.com...meron-remin.php

The piece's most interesting parts: Cameron said, "I've been fascinated ever since by our human propensity for dancing on the edge of the apocalypse," Cameron writes. "So when I wrote the first Terminator outline around 1982, I was just working out my childhood stuff. It was also born out of the science fiction movies and literature I grew up with. For the most part, they were warnings—about technology, about science, about the military and the government. You couldn't escape those themes or the fear of nuclear holocaust."...

Cameron adds that he doesn't really believe that there will come a war by machines to wipe out humanity in the next generation. 'The stories function more on a symbolic level, and that's why people key into them,' he says. 'They're about us fighting our own tendency toward dehumanization.'"

Irony of ironies, Mr. Moore. You're show was able to avoid the clunky symbolism of most sci fi, and actually subtly delve into the dehumanization and homogenization of "the other", which is a far more vital message humans must learn since we've rarely broken that cycle, rather than worrying about AI, don't you think? What a wasted opportunity!

IMO, RDM's "fear" of AI is in how violent humans may use it for their agenda's-what happens after/ when/if that occurs then who knows.
Ironically, much has happened since this ep and your posting regarding AI and "remote" warfare--
the increased use of drone warfare in Pakistan
these drones are being upgraded tp be "smarter" - not quite AI but...
those clever Japanese continue to make rapind improvements with their AI "tools"- AI caregivers, elder companions etc...
the British have developed and will be fielding a pilotless long range bomber, largely capable of autonomous operation with a human uploaded mission-the "Tiranus" richardwillisuk.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/new-british-un

there are other examples, the point being I think RDM and J cameron and others- all have very intuitive minds able to blend human tendencies, history ("all of this has happened before...." = "Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat its mistakes") and current and probable tech to craft great stories. Let's hope Blood and Chrome is just as cleverly crafted, written and produced; lets hope it continues to tie up things and follow the stories that have already been established. Personally, I really want to know who the man in the "goo tub"/ the hybrid is in RAZOR? Is it Daniel Graystone or was he just some mere "plot device" (now that would be quite disappointing and very boring)

#645 RollingPaper

RollingPaper

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:57 PM

My beard is bigger than your beard. Prove me wrong.

#646 RollingPaper

RollingPaper

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

My beard trimmer is better than your beard trimmer.

#647 ArwenOfTrek

ArwenOfTrek

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

QUOTE (spinny @ Jun 5 2007, 06:26 PM) I would say my somewhat natural reserve and introversion were the dominant traits that allowed me to develop as a writer, in that I spend a great deal of time in my head and therefore tend to mull over story structure and language for extended periods of time. Often when in conversation with others, I'm actually thinking about my script.

I thought I was the only one who did that!

#648 BlackMetalKommando

BlackMetalKommando

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 07:27 PM

Well this might sound gay, since many hairy nerd guys who watched this series together had one major dispute last night after the final episode ended.
Who did Kara Thrace really love? Did she really love Lee, or Anders the most? Why did she chose Anders, was it because of the amount of love or something else? I am personally pretty sure that Lee wanted to have something more with her. And finally why did you choose not to give them a "happy ending" like all the other couples (i think this ending was the best but just asking)?

Thank you for your time.

#649 nitro77

nitro77

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

Let me start off by saying I love this show, but I have got to ask what happened in final year of production . I guess I understand you kind of painted yourself into A corner for some of the plots but I have heard you say on a couple of question and answer arenas that you were so worried how to tie the story lines together then you had

aphifanny that you could write it anyway you wanted you could go outside the norm it was scifi. Hey watch the whole series then

watch the last year I don't know what you were thinking I understand writers block but you had hundreds of thousands of fans

that could of helped you end this wonderful soga with a true fitting end.

If i was you I would make A two hour finally that starts off with Bob Newhart watching the last episode but he wakes up to find it was all a bad dream and that he dozed off right before the real finally was about to air, then make a fitting end to this Iconic series .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users