Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Col. Sam Carter vs. Dr.weir

• Please log in to reply
379 replies to this topic

Poll: Col. Sam Carter vs. Dr.weir (177 member(s) have cast votes)

who would you want to see more of on atlantis

1. Dr. weir (98 votes [53.26%])

Percentage of vote: 53.26%

2. Col. Sam Cater (86 votes [46.74%])

Percentage of vote: 46.74%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#81 Battleready1

Battleready1

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 07:52 AM

I think the choice of Col. Carter is the best choice.

Weir might not be the same actress you had in the beginning but it's the same character, someone in politics. Weir couldn't run the SGC and she knew the job had issues and it's the same for Atlantis. She made alot of allies at Atlantis but it's going to take a military approach to run it and that's Col. Carter. I hate Sam was skipped over for command twice. She was skipped over big time by the new guy and I think the writers are thinking bring her in to save Atlantis. There's talk of a third Stargate if Atlantis fails. Col. Carter is the logical choice, they can't bring in Teal'c because he's an alien, they can't bring in Daniel he's another Civvy and Jack is a General with ties to Washington. Then you got General Hammond a retired General. Who you got left, A successful SG-1 Colonel. Weir made some bad choices all through Season 3.
Posted Image

Be kind in Dualla Land. So say we all.

Posted Image

Always show your love for Kandyse at this site...

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0565973/

#82 Falcon Horus

Falcon Horus

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 460 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:05 PM

There's only one true leader for Atlantis and that's Dr. Elizabeth Weir.

Posted Image Pro Heightmeyer in season 5 Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image || Me, myself and I (LJ) || "Kate/Teyla"-signature by ME || "smileys" by Zuz || Posted Image

Posted Image

#83 squall28

squall28

Forum Moderator

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,458 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:37 PM

QUOTE (Falcon Horus @ Aug 7 2007, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's only one true leader for Atlantis and that's Dr. Elizabeth Weir.

I agree. Hopefully the story will be that the miltary approach fails, and control goes back to Weir. Well we need to get a 5th season pickup for this story to even be thought of taking place. tongue.gif
Posted Image

#84 ascended_ali

ascended_ali

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 15 August 2007 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (Mar9645 @ Jun 24 2007, 03:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ten years of Captain/Major/Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter was already more than enough. By the last episode of SG-1 the 'acting' was just being phoned in, far too predictable, bland, superficial and out and out boring.

Based on your description, Carter will obviously be running the whole show all by herself with no need for Sheppard, McKay, Teyla, Ronon, et al.

As for what's going on in the Pegasus Galaxy, until the paranoid stupidity of the IOA and the SGC military, what still had to be resolved regarding the Wraith and the Asurans would have been handled quite adequately by the joint civilian/military leadership already in existence in Atlantis. The Wraith are the true threat to Earth, not the Asurans who only wanted to get back at the Ancients and the occupants of Atlantis. Now the Earth idiots have both to worry about.

First Strike was, bottom line, a contrived plot device to escalate the PG situation to a crisis point and give an excuse to fully militarize Atlantis and bring in the Pegasus Galaxy savior named Colonel Samantha Carter.

For me, Stargate Atlantis is now going to be as dead as SG-1 became in Season 8. Bad storytelling is bad storytelling no matter which show is peddling it as acceptable sci fi.

Eaxctly, First Strike was only an excuse. Weir could have been in another part of the control room. They just found a way to make it more 'interesting'. Why did they even bother to develop her in season 3, if they will just take her out?

QUOTE (SMBBOOKS @ Jun 24 2007, 03:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My vote - Dr. Weir.

She led the expedition to the Pegasus Galaxy after handpicking her team. She is a woman in a tough leadership position. She’s a civilian leader heading up a contingent of military, scientific and medical personnel. For much of the first season, the Atlantis expedition was completely cut off from Earth, forcing Weir and her team to rely on each other and their unique skills to survive. And, since re-establishing contact with Earth, she’s had to fight to retain her team members and justify decisions that were made under extreme circumstances. On many occasions, she is the sole voice lobbying for diplomacy when many wish to jump to the military solution. She's an intelligent diplomat with strong negotiation skills. She's a skilled linguist who can use this ability with new races/languages found in the Pegasus Galaxy.

Who better to reside in and lead the city of the Ancients than someone who is well versed in their history, lore and customs?

She's shown discipline and courage in near hopeless situations and has always backed her team and supported them when it counted the most. She is not perfect. Guess what? No leader is. She has perservered (along with her team) through unimaginable circumstances and she's kept the group together and moving forward. She is not afraid to speak her mind and challenge decisions made above her. She's also the first to ask her team for their input and relies on their expertise before moving forward. A leader's job is to surround themselves with the best and then help train, motivate and move them forward to get the job done. Elizabeth has done that. And, in the process she's earned the respect and trust of her team.

Cheers!
SMB_BOOKS

I completely agree to what you say.

First of all I think that if we are discussing Col. Carter vs. Dr Weir we don't need spoiler tags. I may be wrong, so, by all means, beware of spoilers.

I would add, that, maybe some people don't see her strong because she's not the type that would impose her decisions, with force if necessary. She convinces people in a more subtle way, by a look and wise words. And she always listens to what they have to say, and only after that she speaks. Not because she's not capable of forming an opinion, but because that's what a leader does, listen first and speak later.

And the fact that she isn't military and yet acted the way she did is a green poit for her too, IMO. She didn't hide behind her desk, like another diplomat would have done, Woolsey for example.

She risked her life going to the Genii to ask for nuclear weapons. Do you think it wasn't wise to go alone? I think it was the best thing to do in order to avoid any actions that would lead to people getting hurt, because they could have started a small war, IMO, if she were to go there with a team of marines just to protect her. And another thing, the 'all powerful' Cawen, wouldn't feel threathened by a lone woman, blinded and incapable of defending herself; I'm sure she knew that and it made his deicision easier.

In Sg-1's 'New Order', she is the one that turns the situation in Earth's favour. She doesn't have much experience, and admits that she needs help, but with Daniel's help she can handle the situation, however tensed she is.

In 'Common Ground' she decided to let Laden go, against Rodney's and Ronon's strong objection. And it was the best thing to do, trust him to help them. If the Wraith hadn't given life back to John, yes they would have been to late, but Kolia wouldn't have released him anyway, she knew that after 'The Eye, she wa smart enough not to trust him; so it was better to risk something that was already presumed lost. I think she was right to act this way, even if it could have ended bad. She remained focused and didn't give in to the despair written all over her face.

In 'Alies' she had no choice but to accept the 'alliance', and it was her that hearing about the 'gift' from the Wraith said first "download it to a non-network, firewall computer!". The mistake was made by the scientists team, not by her.

In 'Progeny' she talked to Oberoth and thus revealed that their outpost was of Lantean design, but think about it, the first one who mentioned ZPMs was actually Rodney, imediatly after they arrived to Asuris and they all didn't have a problem with it because they all thought that the Asurans were Ancients; the fact that Niam didn't tell Oberoth about their request was mere luck. The Asurans themselves admited that "we are the last of what you refer to as Ancients". So, if you think you meet Ancients, however arrogant and condescending, and they just cut you off and say that they will act when they so please, wouldn't you decline to leave without a last effort to save all those people that the Wraith might cull until they make up their mind. She hesitated when Oberoth asked her about Atlantis, but she decided to tell him the truth in order to make him see that they similar and they should help each other. It turned out bad, yes, but it wasn't really her fault. Any of them would have done the same.

I guess that's just hard to see these thing sometimes, it requires maturity and depth.

I could speak about how I see her decisions a lot.... but you may get bored so I'll just stop for now. smile.gif

I voted for Weir, and I wouldn't change my mind in 10 000 years!
She's a complex character.

Sam was my favourite character, along with Daniel, in SG-1. But after 10 years of her, I've had enough, and frankly, I have grown up, now I like someone more complex, a leader that doesn't need military rules to follow, that has her own moral code and sticks to it.

I don't remember seeing Sam doing negociations or talking too much when it comes to other that science or simple things. So, I guess, after 10 years, I don't expect much from her. She's sweet, nice and cares about her, SG-1, team. She's a scientist and a good one. But I never saw her as a leader. And considering SG-1 seasons 9 and 10 aparently the producers/writers didn't see her as a leader either, when they gave the team command to someone who didn't have any experience off-world, Mitchell! I didn't like that when in happened, but I was not much upset because I have olways seen Sam as the scientist, more than the military person. She was, IMO, more proud of being able to save the galaxy through science than she would have been to lead a team.
I am a scientist myself, not very much experienced, but nevertheless, I understand how she feels about science. And I liked her because of it. She dedicated her life to science, she admits it in 'Line in the Sand'. This doesn't make her incapable to lead, but after what I have seen her going through in 10 years (!) I don't think she would be briliant. She would take the correct military decision, by the book.

Sam is very nice, but I will stick to 'nice' when it comes to her. She's not complex, IMO, and a leader should be.

She is military, therefore, from the point of view of an ongoing war, the military would want to have a pawn in Atlantis to make sure that everything goes fast and according to their decisions. Sam would only be the one to follow what her superiors say.
She may be a good choice, because she has to follow the orders, but there's no point in completely removing a person that already has the experience in Atlantis and did a good job until then; and it's not like the military didn't intervene when it was necessary, like in 'The Siege'. They just came and take over so now they want to saty full time!

I see the whole change only as a mean to make some interesting plot, which shouldn't necessarily involve the disappearance of the leader (Jack has been through dozens of dangerous situations and he managed to live for 10 years), and to copy SG-1's military background and export it to another galaxy.

And I hate it, couldn't they just make something original, instead of a copy?
I've just had enough of military for 10 years. We are better then just 'boys with guns' and we should see better than that.

Yes, there is only one true leader for Atlantis, Elizabeth Weir.
If we didn't know Sam already maybe I would have not been that convinced, and I would have thought that I should wait before making such a statement. But I do know Sam, fo so long.

I am sorry if anyone felt offended by my opinion. It is my opinion and I stick to it.

#85 Wooze

Wooze

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 09:15 PM

I'm not really going to take sides, I like them both.

All I have to say is there are some major exaggerations on this board in regarding to Carter. Everyone keeps referring to her like she is some military, yes man warmonger or something. She was often standing up to the military, telling them there was another way to do things than "smash stuff". Sure when it came time to smash stuff, she could put her science to that to...................

I really do understand fearing change, especially a big one like this, but you have go to be kidding me if you think Samantha Carter, the ultimate science geek is going to appear at Atlantis, militarize everyone, stop all scientific research and turn the premise of the show upside down.

My Only problem with Weir was the writers I guess. She seemed to go off the deep end and throw a temper tantrum every time the military said anything to her. The first time or two, I was cool with it, they are trying to keep this about science and discovery. After while though, it just made her look really insecure and sometimes petty about things.

I admit I don't read all the press about what is going on. I thought Amanda Tapping was just doing the show for a season, not replacing anyone. Is Torri leaving due to sci-fi exec decisions or was already leaving for family, life or other projects, by her own choice?

Either way I am happy to see SGA continue and Amanda be part of it. Those characters from SG1 are like old friends, no reason our new friends can't get along with the old ones:) I'm not understanding all the hate here:)

#86 Falcon Horus

Falcon Horus

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 460 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 06:48 AM

QUOTE (Wooze @ Aug 18 2007, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I admit I don't read all the press about what is going on. I thought Amanda Tapping was just doing the show for a season, not replacing anyone. Is Torri leaving due to sci-fi exec decisions or was already leaving for family, life or other projects, by her own choice?

In the interview in the Stargate Magazine with Teal'c and Elizabeth on the cover (I think) Torri said she had been given a choice between "leaving or becoming recurring".

IMHO not much of a choice.

Posted Image Pro Heightmeyer in season 5 Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image || Me, myself and I (LJ) || "Kate/Teyla"-signature by ME || "smileys" by Zuz || Posted Image

Posted Image

#87 JediTank

JediTank

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:10 PM

Either way I am happy to see SGA continue and Amanda be part of it. Those characters from SG1 are like old friends, no reason our new friends can't get along with the old ones:) I'm not understanding all the hate here:)

I dont dig all the hate either..after all the SGA expedition is under the direct command of SGC. Carter is a good fit. As stated many times before..Atlantis is in hostile territory and at war with the re-awakened wraith and the Asurans..the direction of the show makes sense in terms of command changes regardless of who is or isnt being reduced in role or booted off the show.
Posted Image

#88 DylanHunt1

DylanHunt1

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 05:02 PM

I like carter but this is weir's show, Carter can be there but under Shepperd

#89 cylonjoebob

cylonjoebob

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 06:19 PM

Carter. Sorry guys, Torri Higgins is a good actress and while all the traits of leadership you ascribe to her are there the frellin writers never gave her anything to do! She spent a lot of time walking around talking to a head set. Not solving or even advising on military problems, science problems, medical problems. She was a crack negotiator but with war in Pegasus Galaxy not much negotiating going on. They had Sheppard do military, McKay do Science (with Zelinka a hoot), Beckett for biology, Teyla for local population communication, and Ronan (well who cares what he does as long as he's there!), just kidding, Ronan is our true warrior.

Carter will be able to interact with all these folks because she has done all these things and learned from the best, "Sir," I believe was a great teacher/leader. So things will get mixed up more, relationships change, roles be reversed, all sorts of mayhem could break loose! Hooray!

There did not seem to be anywhere for the Character of Weir to go, no great journey of introspection or change. She would become.... Carter.

Just MHO. I like things to change, it's exciting!
.....................Posted Image
............................................................................... Inconceivable!

#90 JediTank

JediTank

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,109 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 07:09 PM

Nice!!!
Posted Image

#91 FleetCommanderXIII

FleetCommanderXIII

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 09:08 PM

FRAK all of you Dr. Carter supporters!!! mad.gif
Posted Image

#92 FreelancerXO02

FreelancerXO02

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:32 AM

I liked Carter in the early seasons of SG-1, then she got a bit too righteous and annoying for me. I'm kinda bummed that Dr. Weir had to bite the dust to make way for Carter. Not sure if there's politics involved or if torri wanted to leave or cut back on her shooting time, but if they chopped her for Carter, that was a mistake...there may have been room for both of them.

Posted Image

#93 squall28

squall28

Forum Moderator

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,458 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (FreelancerXO02 @ Sep 17 2007, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I liked Carter in the early seasons of SG-1, then she got a bit too righteous and annoying for me. I'm kinda bummed that Dr. Weir had to bite the dust to make way for Carter. Not sure if there's politics incolved or if torri wanted to leave or cut back on her shooting time, but if they chopped her for Carter, that was a mistake...there may have been room for both of them.

Hey Freelancer, welcome to the SGA forum. tongue.gif I like Carter and Weir and I wish we could get both of them full time. Oh well can't get everything. Should be interesting how the eps play out that Weir is recurring in this season.
Posted Image

#94 FreelancerXO02

FreelancerXO02

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE (squall78 @ Sep 17 2007, 02:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Freelancer, welcome to the SGA forum. tongue.gif I like Carter and Weir and I wish we could get both of them full time. Oh well can't get everything. Should be interesting how the eps play out that Weir is recurring in this season.

Howdy Squall, loving the sig laugh.gif

Posted Image

#95 squall28

squall28

Forum Moderator

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,458 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 09:01 AM

QUOTE (FreelancerXO02 @ Sep 17 2007, 09:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Howdy Squall, loving the sig laugh.gif

LOL, thanks. Sadly he will only be guest starring in a few eps. tongue.gif wink.gif
Posted Image

#96 Demne

Demne

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:00 PM

I'm all for Carter joining the team. Weir always whined about how the military kept taking over the missions because she is just a civilian. Well boo hoo. Military is the only thing saving Atlantis from every single enemy. Weir does very little for the show.

The only thing I would like to see is Teyla kicked off the show asap. She has no real purpose besides "sensing" wraith. She is a wannabe Jackson but has no character. She has Jacksons sense of thinking, but without any smarts what so ever. Jonas would be a better character to bring in to replace her.

Mckay and Sheppard are great, and Ronon are awesome, but Teyla brings the Atlantis Team down and just stands there bobbling her eyes around and turning her head in different directions. Is supposed to entertain me?

Teyla, the station is falling apart, we need to leave! " No, i must sing celtic music while we are being attacked"

Horrible!

As for Beckett, hes a doctor.. they all have the same.. we must save everyone mentality just like Fraiser had in SG-1. But otherwise.. no real character development. I wanna find a doctor who says, "Screw that, shoot it!"

#97 squall28

squall28

Forum Moderator

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,458 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:48 AM

Bump!
Posted Image

#98 Wingbones

Wingbones

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 05:30 PM

I dont quite get why people want characters to act out of character. Wier is supposed to be ticked off at non-negotiable military actions. "Non negotiable" goes against her very nature and job description. Situations, in large part, deal with how the enemy itself is handled. Wier excells at this. Carter excells at replacing spark plugs and inventing a new spark plug when the situation calls for it. Mckay and Zelenka do the spark plug replacing/inventing on Atlantis. I'll wait to see what happens, though.

In the breif previews I've seen, Carter isnt leading...she's..well...replacing spark plugs.(figure of speach)
Posted ImagePosted Image
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand." -Albert Einstein

#99 hotvoltage

hotvoltage

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:25 PM

I hope that Mckay doesn't take a back seat to Carter. In my opinion Mckay is the better scientist. Unortunately Carter has been around longer and is more popular.

With a great leader like Weir taking a back seat and Mckay following Carter instead of leading the scientific epedition. SGA isn't going to be as appealing as before.

#100 Rach84

Rach84

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:12 AM

QUOTE (hotvoltage @ Oct 3 2007, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hope that Mckay doesn't take a back seat to Carter. In my opinion Mckay is the better scientist. Unortunately Carter has been around longer and is more popular.

With a great leader like Weir taking a back seat and Mckay following Carter instead of leading the scientific epedition. SGA isn't going to be as appealing as before.

Yes that's mostly what I'm worried about. McKay and Sheppard are my favorite characters so I'm mostly worried about what the change in leadership will mean for them. Don't really have a favorite seeing as how I was never that big a fan of Weir and Carter has yet to prove anything to me in the Atlantis dynamic. As long as she's not always doing McKay's job I think I will be ok with her being there.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users