• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 xdevilsownx

xdevilsownx

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:01 PM

Um, did anyone watch this? It was like Dog The Bounty Hunter, you watch *because* they're so pathetic.

Point blank, I'll be d*mned if I'd let myself look that dumb, unprepared, and scared on camera. At least Grant and Jason sell it.

x

#2 TerishD

TerishD

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:10 PM

I am getting tired of programs where they are supposed to be showing me (the audience) something, but 99% of the film has the cameras pointed at each other. I get tired of seeing heads go "What was that?" when the cameras should have been looking at WHATEVER IT WAS. I am also tired of them using night-vision camera, but walking around with flashlights. Finally, I am tired of being presented with possible evidence, then those doing the production RUNNING AWAY instead of verifying the claim.

Yep, I watched. It was unprofessional. It was glory hogging. It was staged (yes, SciFi, give me a production made by FILM STUDENTS, and I suspect camera tricks - gee, I wonder why).

I believe that I got a few laughs.

#3 myeyes121

myeyes121

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (TerishD @ Jul 25 2007, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am getting tired of programs where they are supposed to be showing me (the audience) something, but 99% of the film has the cameras pointed at each other. I get tired of seeing heads go "What was that?" when the cameras should have been looking at WHATEVER IT WAS. I am also tired of them using night-vision camera, but walking around with flashlights. Finally, I am tired of being presented with possible evidence, then those doing the production RUNNING AWAY instead of verifying the claim.

Yep, I watched. It was unprofessional. It was glory hogging. It was staged (yes, SciFi, give me a production made by FILM STUDENTS, and I suspect camera tricks - gee, I wonder why).

I believe that I got a few laughs.

Was it me, or did anyone else hear the little whispering voice before they went to the hanes commercial? Nice touch sci-fi lol.

#4 maidenindigo

maidenindigo

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:27 PM

I signed up for an account just to announce how sleazy this show/movie/whatever seemed. The main dude was hot, though. Too bad he came across like a pretentious f***. There was the overweight comic relief, the silent dude behind the camera, and the cute dude with the biceps who couldn't shut up. Oh well, I guess TAPS will make me feel better about the paranormal next Wednesday. smile.gif

#5 myeyes121

myeyes121

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:30 PM

Was it me, or did anyone else hear the little whispering voice before they went to the hanes commercial? Nice touch sci-fi lol. There. Got This post right this time lol.

#6 Psyberwolf

Psyberwolf

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 10:32 PM

I'm a fan of ghost stories and documentaries of hauntings and haunted locations. Ghost hunters is quite entertaining to watch and dissect. Tonights Ghost Adventures was quite entertaining. I enjoy the stories behind the place they are investigating. The show was quite enjoyable up until the brick scene. I don't know about anyone else, but that just threw it out the window as staged and propped. And interesting just before they get to the good stuff one of the guys couldn't go on any further. Can anyone say, 'Behind the scene' action guy.

Sure they threw in the 'professionals' to add the flair of realism, but the brick flying across the room just seemed so 'first year film student' production material. Not only that, but as soon as they freaked out and bolted, I couldn't help but have Blair Witch Project run through my head. I expected to see his buddy come running into the room and find his friend standing in the corner. I just seriously hope this wasn't a one or three month ahead tie-in to some lame movie. I don't know, it just smells like it.

#7 irisheyz

irisheyz

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:31 AM

I was seriously disappointed in this so called "documentary film". What a joke, they had no real evidence and these guys are supposed to be ghost hunters, sure. Wow, it must have been hard to take pictures with a digital camera and freak yourself out in a cemetary, his shoulder never moved and that evp from the miners shack was an absolute farse, you couldn't make anything out on it but static that they had recorded and was turned all the way up, sorry never heard any mention of the devil or anything else. Come on gives us more than "orbs" that are probably flashlight reflections and a few bumps in the night. There is two hours of my life i'll never get back. What a waste of airtime. The locations were cool but unfortunately these guys just did a disservice to any credibility they have.

#8 xdevilsownx

xdevilsownx

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 07:57 AM

Blair Witch - EXACTLY!! I was sitting there with a mild buzz, laughing, nudging my wife and my buddy saying, "Is this mutha CRYING on camera?!?!?!?".

I appreciate their attempt, I'm getting into indy media production myself, but - ****.

CG

#9 kab00m

kab00m

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 08:32 AM

Everyone is taking this way to seriously. Its just a film made by film students. Sure it was editted; it was filmed over 3 years. Yes, it had a cheesey "Blaire Witch" feel to it but so what. It was entertaining and it did a good job scarying the hell out of me. I don't recall these guys ever claiming to be proffesional ghost hunters so why is everyone trying to make them out to be, then riding on it because they werent professional enough.
All those...moments will be lost, like tears... in the rain

(A.k.A: Wickwire)

#10 NikoKun

NikoKun

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:20 PM

Geeze, everyone is being way too hard on this shows, I think they did a good job... and the hosts are right, I don't really like seeing big crews and lots of equipment, it takes away from the shows and it ruins their chances of catching things. If they're alone with only 2 or 4 people (only 2 in a room at any time)... I think they have a better chance to catch something.

Anyway, this show was interesting, I like the apparition they caught walking across the room in that one scene... and then the voices and flying brick... that flying brick was simply amazing. You can't say those weren't evidence, it was all very compelling.

#11 TerishD

TerishD

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 03:57 PM

Geeze, everyone is being way too hard on this shows, I think they did a good job... and the hosts are right, I don't really like seeing big crews and lots of equipment, it takes away from the shows and it ruins their chances of catching things. If they're alone with only 2 or 4 people (only 2 in a room at any time)... I think they have a better chance to catch something.

Anyway, this show was interesting, I like the apparition they caught walking across the room in that one scene... and then the voices and flying brick... that flying brick was simply amazing. You can't say those weren't evidence, it was all very compelling.
They did not do a good job. I agree however with not seeing people or equipment - so why do you like a show where 90% of the time the camera was focused ON THE PEOPLE? I laughed very hard when they supposedly woke up at night to some sounds, and the camera was focused ON THE PERSON. What did they expect to catch? The man snoring? They might have caught something if they had the camera focused on something else besides each other.

The apparition was possibly good, but what we saw was edited. If they had a good continous view of what was before the apparition, then what was after (it seemed that the other two came in soon after), what I saw might have been taken seriously. As it was, I suspected digital editing (what the 'professional' checked for was old image style work, but computers can do better than that).

The voices were VERY bad (I really could not make them out). Either the team had poor sound equipment, or a really bad idea of what a good EVP is.

The flying brick MIGHT have been taken seriously IF the people taking the picture had not made fools of themselves. The 'professional' saying that a wire moving a heavy would be visible is right, but who said the brick was heavy? It might have been styrofoam. We don't know. I am sorry, but the way the light hit the scene made it VERY suspicious that something was being hidden.

I am sorry, but this show was poor in quality and substance.

#12 TerroristX

TerroristX

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 12:43 AM

QUOTE (xdevilsownx @ Jul 25 2007, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Um, did anyone watch this? It was like Dog The Bounty Hunter, you watch *because* they're so pathetic.

Point blank, I'll be d*mned if I'd let myself look that dumb, unprepared, and scared on camera. At least Grant and Jason sell it.
x

Sheesh, I'm sure you'd be scared if you were in their shoes. It's not like these guys were expecting to see a brick get hurled across the room. That can shatter anyone, I don't care how brave you are. It defies physics, and even if you are a believer of ghosts, seeing something like that is NOT normal. I saw more impressive footage in this movie than almost all Ghost Hunter episodes combined. When you watch a documentary like this, look at the footage they've ended up with, not the people shooting it. Also, if you're watching something you dislike, please don't follow through with the entire program. It's just not logical.

#13 Gunner235

Gunner235

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 04:06 AM

I've lived in the Reno (Nevada) area since 1989 and have visted Virginia City several times. Due to the history of the area, there are MANY places that are thought to be haunted and in my opinion Virginia City is at the top of the list. Twice I've seen the cemetry lights and once thought I caught a glimse of a cowboy sitting and smoking at a corner table in the "Bucket of Blood" saloon.(craziest part was you could smell cigar smoke but no one was smoking!!!) With all the gambling, gunfights, grudges that existed back in the mid to late 1800's, the town has a strong residual feeling that you notice especially at certain locations.

Never been to the Goldfield Hotel but if your in to the paranormal, you've definitely have heard the stories.
As far as the show went, yeah it wasn't the most professional investigation, which is what I expected with students, but thats that doesn't mean their not credible. Does everyone really expect there to be good HD, FLIR, &/or IR cameras on every paranormal investigation? Besides, they seemed to have decent equipment for only a student budget to me.

The best part for me wasn't the compelling footage,(at least what they did capture) that will rightly go under the microscope for the next few months or years, but how those of us who are just looking for personal answers can, with a digital camera, politeness, and alittle understanding of history can still make contributions to a field dominated by "spy gadgets". In the end, I think these guys were looking for answers to questions that their minds weren't ready to handle. I think reality handed them a big slice of cake and the icing was to sweet. I've been coming to or living in the Sierra's most of my life and I know there are things the mind can't handle. I don't care who you are, when you see things that defy reality or get into certain situation, your brain goes into "fight or flight". How many times have you heard about someone being killed by a bear because they ran even though everyone knows thats the worst thing you could do! Don't assume anything based off the fact that they ran, their only human. I really hope this footage gets a chance to be analyzed by the best before its just tossed aside because everyone thinks the production sucked and the footage was to good to be true.

By the way, did any one notice the brick go to the right and the pieces of wood go to the left with clouds of dust in the middle?

#14 nateu2

nateu2

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 254 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 03:53 PM

If it looks unbelievable, it usually is fake. I'm frustrated with not knowing if the apparition was real or fabricated. Same with the brick incident. I wish I knew if it was real, but I think it's probably not. I have to admit that even though I am a paranormal investigator, the show did a decent job of being scary. However, they presented what I'd call an "orgy" of evidence. This usually means things were staged. I guess only they know for sure.

Mixed feelings on this one.

Nate

#15 Beccapooh0301

Beccapooh0301

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 05:23 PM

Okay, so I just watched the brick part again, because even the first time through, I noticed some OBVIOUS lines running through the room. I have it Tivoed so I could actually move it a frame at a time. Am I the only person who saw those **** lines running all across the room? I mean, the part that cracked me up the most (or ****** me off the most, I don't know) was that even during the "experts" analyzation of the video, you can TOTALLY see the lines. I thought that maybe they could be spider webs, but 1) they're way too long and straight and with no other 'webby' look to them and 2) how come there were only 'spider webs' in this one room? (Convenient no?)

Anyway, I love ghost stories, I love TAPS and I totally love the IDEA of the hunt for truth, and, at first, I feel for this, but, now I just feel duped!!!

What do y'all think???

Bec

#16 plainbob13

plainbob13

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:57 PM

WOW! A thread on this crappy show has spread to here too.
Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.
Steven Wright

And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

#17 HelltownHorsemen

HelltownHorsemen

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:33 PM

I found it curious that the third friend from the first half of the show without explanation could not attend the Goldfield ghost hunt and all of a sudden brick-like objects are flying around the room. The fact that Nick said "is this the room" right before he turned the corner and filmed the brick is suspicious. The other suspicious thing is that they broke a window to jump out onto the fire escape because they claim didn't want to stay locked in any longer. The broken window also means they could have broken the window to let the third friend in and have him fake the flying brick and then they could have all left together. This way there are no witnesses when there are three people leaving in the morning instead of two. This completely invalidates the pad lock on the door.

With all of my suspicion and conspiracy theories I admit I am always intrigued by documentary style ghost hunt shows and enjoy them even if I have my doubts about most of them (I still have a lot of faith in TAPS). I hope they keep making more of these shows to analyze and dissect and hopefully one day we'll get the holy grail of a full body apparition on tape.

I think critical analysis of this paranormal evidence is necessary to weed out the fakes and charlatans from the genuine ghost hunters who are serious and passionate about proving or disproving the existence of ghost. I say this so all of the real ghost hunters out there will keep doing what they are doing and trying to capture so good evidence.
I don't believe... But I want to!

#18 elusivecow

elusivecow

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 09:59 PM

Glad to see that it's more than just me who thinks it was completely staged. What I found entirely too convenient about the brick scene is that the light and camera were focused directly on the brick right before it was miraculously flung. Wires/strings visible or not, that sold me on how fake it was. Sorry, no one gets that "lucky" on a random shot. I had the same idea as another poster about how it's ASSUMED that the brick is heavy. In addition, sorta reminded me of that mouse trap game -- they showed the beam falling around the same time. That could have been rigged thru all that debris to do some sort of catapult effect with the brick. I could have believed the things from the rest of the show if they just left the brick out of it.

#19 Beccapooh0301

Beccapooh0301

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:42 PM

I feel the same way. The rest of it was believable enough but the brick just pushed it too far. I also agree with the idea of the 'light weight' brick. I also though that it was very suspicious that the light 'JUST HAPPENED' to be on the brick as they walked into the room and remained there until the 'shot' was captured. Again, I went through it fram by frame (Yes, I know, I'm lame, but, what can I say, I'm thorough!) and that one flash light was on that exact spot THE ENTIRE TIME.....****** me off really.

Hey, for some reason my Tivo didn't record the whole episode. Did anyone else Tivo this? If so, can you go the end when the credit play because BY LAW they have to tell you, the audience, if anything was 'staged' or 'edited' into or out of context. I would just be curious what it says.

Bec

#20 TerroristX

TerroristX

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 10:55 PM

Well, they surely had a video analyst review the evidence. And according to him, there wasnt any tampering with the footage. With the special software provided, these analysts can tell whether or not a video has footage edited in. So regarding the apparition, he'd know if the footage were seeing is authentic or not. But then again, not much information exists on the guy viewing the footage, so who knows how reliable that is. If were to ever truly know for sure, we'd have to wait for more professional opinions. The one clip, which can easily be identified as authentic or not, is the apparition. So in my humble opinion, I'd wait and see instead of drawing conclusions based on a huntch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users