• Please log in to reply
509 replies to this topic

#1 Raidzero

Raidzero

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:37 AM

Hello all... I am new to these forums but would like to get a good and serious discussion going about last nights show. I am somewhat of a skeptic, I dont trust anything I don't experience for myself. Here is my take on Ghost Adventures....

1: It's a TV Show! - Always remember, this is entertainment 1st. To claim any of this is 100% fact would be silly to say the least. None of us know these people. If it had you scared at the end, then they did their job.

2: Orbs - This deserves no comments really. Orbs have been debunked since video became a tool. Anyone with even a basic knowledge of photography knows that a video camera or still camera tries to make sense out of chaos, IE: if its dark, the Camera will try to make something out of nothing, happens all the time. 99.9% of all orbs are dust particles, bugs or mist caught in this chaos or reflecting at the perfect time.

3: The Figure - This follows in the Camera trying to make sense of a dark shot... The Camera is pointed down the hall.... When its not zoomed in, you see a shadow in the corner... As the camera Zooms in the shadow seems to move and go around the corner. This is the Camera correcting the lighting situation as it zooms in and gets the correct images. This stuff is really 101.

4: The Lady - Heh... Please.

5: The great brick! - This was their claim to fame and it was fun to watch. Lets be honest though.... Ask yourself these questions...
A: Was it really a brick? How do we know for sure?
B: Why didn't they go back and investigate the seen? If I was a real Paranormal investigator, that would be the 1st thing I would do!! This would be absolute proof.
C: Notice how they got the perfect shot? It just happens the light of the Camera picks up the brick at exactly the right time to see it. He also just hangs around long enough to see the wood fall. In a court of law this wouldn't even make it into the court room as evidence.

I don't like to be such a negative nelly but lets all be real with ourselves. Its a TV Show. I want to believe just as much as you all but we cant let our wish to believe make us ignorant. This is why since the invention of the camera there is still no proof that ghosts are real. Especially today with everyone owning a video camera of some kind, we still cant get 100% proof?

#2 plainbob13

plainbob13

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (Raidzero @ Jul 26 2007, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello all... I am new to these forums but would like to get a good and serious discussion going about last nights show. I am somewhat of a skeptic, I dont trust anything I don't experience for myself. Here is my take on Ghost Adventures....

1: It's a TV Show! - Always remember, this is entertainment 1st. To claim any of this is 100% fact would be silly to say the least. None of us know these people. If it had you scared at the end, then they did their job.

2: Orbs - This deserves no comments really. Orbs have been debunked since video became a tool. Anyone with even a basic knowledge of photography knows that a video camera or still camera tries to make sense out of chaos, IE: if its dark, the Camera will try to make something out of nothing, happens all the time. 99.9% of all orbs are dust particles, bugs or mist caught in this chaos or reflecting at the perfect time.

3: The Figure - This follows in the Camera trying to make sense of a dark shot... The Camera is pointed down the hall.... When its not zoomed in, you see a shadow in the corner... As the camera Zooms in the shadow seems to move and go around the corner. This is the Camera correcting the lighting situation as it zooms in and gets the correct images. This stuff is really 101.

5: The great brick! - This was their claim to fame and it was fun to watch. Lets be honest though.... Ask yourself these questions...
B: Why didn't they go back and investigate the seen? If I was a real Paranormal investigator, that would be the 1st thing I would do!! This would be absolute proof.
C: Notice how they got the perfect shot? It just happens the light of the Camera picks up the brick at exactly the right time to see it. He also just hangs around long enough to see the wood fall. In a court of law this wouldn't even make it into the court room as evidence.

I don't like to be such a negative nelly but lets all be real with ourselves. Its a TV Show. I want to believe just as much as you all but we cant let our wish to believe make us ignorant. This is why since the invention of the camera there is still no proof that ghosts are real. Especially today with everyone owning a video camera of some kind, we still cant get 100% proof?

THANK YOU. great post.
Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect.
Steven Wright

And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
Friedrich Nietzsche
Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 moonlady37

moonlady37

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 219 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:07 AM

I'm not questioning whether any of it was real or not...it was just a fun show to watch. smile.gif Reminded me of GH season 1 somewhat (without attitude or drama). I wish scifi was showing it again but I don't find it on the schedule. I'd like to see more shows like it with different people each time.

#4 oldwitch

oldwitch

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:02 AM

[/font]
QUOTE (plainbob13 @ Jul 26 2007, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THANK YOU. great post.

[font="Comic Sans MS"]

At least it was entertaining! Scientific? NO! I don't put a lot of belief in the "orbs",, that's from the flash of a camera. And the tiny white like orbs that float and fly in and out of the camera's view,that's bugs flying around! Oh! and there is the whispy mist? Smoke! But, as I said,,at least it was entertaining,I guess.

#5 Laurumz

Laurumz

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:07 AM

The thing that puzzled me was as they were approaching the room with the brick, one of the guys said "This is the room". What room? During the tour, I don't recall them stopping in that room and discussing any recurring paranormal activity. It was almost seemed like a "get ready" type comment.

#6 skepticalone

skepticalone

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (plainbob13 @ Jul 26 2007, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
THANK YOU. great post.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

#7 cable1975

cable1975

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:27 PM

I am new to the forums but not to Ghost Hunters. I am very skeptical of Ghost Adventures. If everything was real then yes it's amazing but when the show opens up stating that these are young filmmakers and not Paranormal investigators I immediately dismissed everything as unlikely and fake. If these young kids would have taken a scientific approach as opposed to trying to create drama it might have been something noteworthy.

I would like to hear Jason and Grant's opinion about the show but it would be a conflict of interest I am sure. To be honest, I haven't enjoyed watching anything about paranormal investigation until Ghost Hunters came along. They seem to be interested in more debunking and investigation. They do not jump to conclusions unless they experience something and it can be validated. The only thing that seemed to be a bit out of place was the Manson murder investigation. I don't care for guest investigators except for the one in the UK. I really felt like their instruments could have been manipulated by man made devices.

I guess what I am saying is that these kids may have put a footnote in the history of paranormal investigation but my guess is that it will be that of a hoax and not treated seriously.

#8 Deck_Officer

Deck_Officer

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,589 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:33 PM

The guys should be guests on Jay and Grant's radio show.
"Have you been spying on me, on my own ship?" - Commander Adama

#9 Raidzero

Raidzero

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 01:58 PM

Just remember... They won "best independent horror movie" with this documentary (I am paraphrasing really, I don't know the exact title they won). You know what they didn't win? Any science awards. This is because its entertainment only. There was no proof offered what-so-ever. Trust me, the first time someone offers proof of ghosts, you will hear about it, especially in this day of 24-hour news.

#10 ZedisDead

ZedisDead

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:12 PM

QUOTE (Raidzero @ Jul 26 2007, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just remember... They won "best independent horror movie" with this documentary (I am paraphrasing really, I don't know the exact title they won). You know what they didn't win? Any science awards. This is because its entertainment only. There was no proof offered what-so-ever. Trust me, the first time someone offers proof of ghosts, you will hear about it, especially in this day of 24-hour news.

When they showed the tape to the video expert - i know exactly what the guy was talking about, the technicalities that will come into play when trying to doctor a video. I was doing a similar job once. Based on my experience, i believe they got something.

In reality, you don't need proof to show ghosts are real, i think everyone has had a paranormal experience in their lifetime, whether they have a scientific explanation or not...

#11 CougarWare

CougarWare

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:30 PM

It was an interesting show. I also wondered what Jason and Grant would think of the piece. I'd like to see T.A.P.s investigate that hotel.

The "brick" looked weird to me. It was not the color of the surrounding bricks, and it took off like it had no mass or weight. It looked like a projection.

The sight of them running and screaming down the halls cracked me up after hearing them challenge the ghosts. "We're not scared of you!" Then a "brick" goes flying and the boys are running blindly down the halls. Like a scene out of Casper. laugh.gif

CougarBob

.Posted Image

Instead of building newer and larger weapons of mass destruction,

I think mankind should try to get more use out of the ones we have"

-Jack Handey

.Posted Image

#12 lillyjay

lillyjay

Mostly Harmless

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,611 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:20 PM

QUOTE (CougarBob @ Jul 26 2007, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was an interesting show. I also wondered what Jason and Grant would think of the piece. I'd like to see T.A.P.s investigate that hotel.

The "brick" looked weird to me. It was not the color of the surrounding bricks, and it took off like it had no mass or weight. It looked like a projection.

The sight of them running and screaming down the halls cracked me up after hearing them challenge the ghosts. "We're not scared of you!" Then a "brick" goes flying and the boys are running blindly down the halls. Like a scene out of Casper. laugh.gif
That was the best part of the show! We're not scared of no Goast! and then they ran down the hall screaming like a couple of girls! Tee,Hee..

Posted Image

#13 iheartself

iheartself

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

I do believe in the paranormal, but am very skeptical of shows like this and Ghost Hunters. To be honest, this whole show felt like a copy of Blair Witch Project. Now, I am very open to the fact that they may have caught actual paranormal evidence because the sites that they went to are legendary for how haunted they are. But like I said, the show reminded me so much of Blair Witch, and I absolutely could not stand the main guy Zack. He seemed way too intense and angry.

#14 St_Bernard

St_Bernard

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:37 PM

Setup or by accident they were walking around in rubble, he steps on a board that catapults a box the size of a brick in to the air. If they went back and investigated they would have seen that. They were worst then Shaggy and Scooby doo

Between the world we see, and the things we fear. There are doors. When they are opened, nightmares become reality.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Jake has been saved, thanks Ron, and MrsRon. Thanks all for signing the petition ! Click here to see.

#15 scribey

scribey

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 10:22 PM

I fell asleep about half way through. That tells you something right there. Add it to the evidence.

#16 St_Bernard

St_Bernard

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (scribey @ Jul 26 2007, 10:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I fell asleep about half way through. That tells you something right there. Add it to the evidence.

lmbo I did too but taped it.
Between the world we see, and the things we fear. There are doors. When they are opened, nightmares become reality.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Jake has been saved, thanks Ron, and MrsRon. Thanks all for signing the petition ! Click here to see.

#17 HelltownHorsemen

HelltownHorsemen

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 11:03 PM

I agree with you on every point Raidzero. I just finished watching a Ghost Adventure on DVR and I drew my own conclusions. I came to this forum to see what other people thought and your message and the replies it garnered were the first opinions of the show I had seen. I'm glad there are a lot of other people out there who feel the same as I do about the show.

I found it suspicious that Zak and Nick had their friend along for the first hour of the show and then all of a sudden he couldn't make it to the Goldfield where there were so many noises and flying objects. Perhaps he was there (wink wink nudge nudge).

I would also like to know if the walking translucent "apparition" they filmed was recorded on tape that had been previously used. It looked to me like it like a person had been filmed walking and then the tape rewound and recorded over again with faint images of the walking person remaining. This may have even been done inadvertently. The expert claimed the tape hadn't been tampered with but he didn't address any possible explanations.

#18 radink

radink

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 117 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 07:54 AM

I agree with the OP. I think this is completely fake. All the people, like the video guy and the physics guy could be and probably are in on it. Entertaining, but fake.
Posted Image

AIM: radink360
MSN: rad_ink@hotmail.com
Y!: radink2k2

#19 Blkops

Blkops

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:03 PM

My intital feelings were more like...how convenient that the guy stood in front of the light
coming thru the window so that they could use that for comparison! Also, having a guy
sit and try to testify that the tape was not tampered with didn't impress me at all. Too
set up.

Also, the fact that they added the bizzare negative images shock clips of the Indian
masks, or whatever they were for dramatic effect didn't impress me much either.

#20 jketcham

jketcham

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

Did I miss something, because I could have sworn I as on SciFi's Ghost Hunter's forum. I'm left wondering what Ghost Adventure's has to do with Ghost Hunters. I'm sure there is a forum for Ghost Adventures.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users