166 replies to this topic

#1 javadude

javadude

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

There are plenty of newbies coming in that don't know how to use many of the BB features. I am creating this thread so I, and others, can offer tips on how to do things here. I also welcome any question on how to do something here so anyone who has one, or more, please ask it.

Here's my tip for the day. How to make a hyperlink. A hyperlink can be either text or an image. First, how to make a text hyperlink.

I am making a hyperlink to the Trinidad State Beach website in California. First, type the text you want. Then select the text using your mouse and click the INSERT LINK icon right under the text sizes box. If you're not sure, just place your mouse cursor over any icon to see its description. A box will open where you can paste the URL to the website. In this case it will be http://www.parks.ca....asp?page_id=418

Then click OK or hit the enter button. My result is

Trinidad State Beach

You can do the same thing using an image. Any image that will show in your post can be used as a hyperlink. First, insert an image by either using the INSERT IMAGE icon or pasting the already coded url (some sites, like photobucket.com will supply the img codes) into your post. Then hi-lite the image text and click the INSERT LINK icon and paste the URL to the website just like you did with the text. The result will be an image that will open the website when it is clicked.

It's probably easier than I'm making it look. The first time you do it you'll see how simple it is.

#2 MysticalKnight

MysticalKnight

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,069 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:14 PM

Cool Ghost Pics

Hey, I didn't know you could type the text first and then link it! Thanks JD!

#3 javadude

javadude

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (MysticalKnight @ Aug 18 2007, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Cool Ghost Pics

Hey, I didn't know you could type the text first and then link it! Thanks JD!

You're welcome. It's not the ONLY way to do it, but It's the easiest way and the method that I use. That method can also be used for all the other codes, too. First hi lite the text then click the code icon you want. Bold, text size, color, italics, etc.

#4 MysticalKnight

MysticalKnight

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,069 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (javadude @ Aug 18 2007, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're welcome. It's not the ONLY way to do it, but It's the easiest way and the method that I use. That method can also be used for all the other codes, too. First hi lite the text then click the code icon you want. Bold, text size, color, italics, etc.

Yes, I'd been doing it the other way, which took just a little bit longer.

#5 m2327

m2327

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:24 PM

I think this is a great idea, and very helpful to those of us who might not be familiar with the bulletin board format. Thanks Javadude
Life Behind the Irony Curtain

Posted Image

#6 brooklynb

brooklynb

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,452 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:29 PM

hmmm, learn something new every day.
i still feel you and the taste of cigarettes
what could i ever run to.

#7 javadude

javadude

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (m2327 @ Aug 18 2007, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think this is a great idea, and very helpful to those of us who might not be familiar with the bulletin board format. Thanks Javadude

You're welcome. I hope it will prove useful to some. We all have to start somewhere and some of the board functions are not clearly explained in the help files.

#8 feederfish75

feederfish75

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:25 AM

This is a cool idea. It should help us computer illiterate dinosaurs. I can cook just can't run a computer. Too many buttons I guess. unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif
Question everything, only sheep follow blindly.

#9 MidniteRed

MidniteRed

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,593 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:04 AM

QUOTE (feederfish75 @ Aug 20 2007, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a cool idea. It should help us computer illiterate dinosaurs. I can cook just can't run a computer. Too many buttons I guess. unsure.gif unsure.gif unsure.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

See? I can't cook but I do ok on the computer. Oh wait...I just don't like to cook. With the computer everything is right here! Convenient!!

Javadude this is a wonderful idea and very nice of you. I told you I liked you!
Posted Image

#10 feederfish75

feederfish75

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:12 AM

In my world a BB is a bottom bracket( on a bike) or a 4.5 (.177) cal. steel ball. I don't ever know what it is here.HEHEHE. I need help, and not just a pshink either. unsure.gif unsure.gif.
Question everything, only sheep follow blindly.

#11 MidniteRed

MidniteRed

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,593 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE (feederfish75 @ Aug 20 2007, 03:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In my world a BB is a bottom bracket( on a bike) or a 4.5 (.177) cal. steel ball. I don't ever know what it is here.HEHEHE. I need help, and not just a pshink either. unsure.gif unsure.gif.

BB stands for Bulletin Board. I personally prefer the name "message board" but bboard is easier to type. Scifi calls this a forum, some of us call it a bulletin board, message board, our reason for living....wink.gif

In my world BB is one letter short for BBW. As in a tag for finding exactly what you want in a video. Heheheh, I just got approved for xtube so I'm a little giddy.
Posted Image

#12 scribey

scribey

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:52 AM

BBW. laugh.gif

#13 emeraldwitch

emeraldwitch

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:15 AM

Well javadude you showed me how to get my pic. on here.... but now I have a little different problem-- they're too big is there a simple way to down size them so they are not taking up the entire page???l
The bigger the village--- the more idiots you have to keep an eye on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
all things typed here on the bb are just my opinion.

#14 scribey

scribey

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:53 AM

Best to reduce the size of your picture at the host source. ie photobucket, homepage, etc. EZboard had a tool for resizing images that went something like this ...

[img width=600]http//yourimage.com/yourimage.jpeg[/img]

I don't think this board has an option.

#15 emeraldwitch

emeraldwitch

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:12 AM

QUOTE (scribey @ Aug 20 2007, 07:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Best to reduce the size of your picture at the host source. ie photobucket, homepage, etc. EZboard had a tool for resizing images that went something like this ...

[img width=600]http//yourimage.com/yourimage.jpeg[/img]

I don't think this board has an option.

thanks I hate being the only r t **ard at the ball!!! wink.gif
The bigger the village--- the more idiots you have to keep an eye on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
all things typed here on the bb are just my opinion.

#16 javadude

javadude

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:25 PM

QUOTE (emeraldwitch @ Aug 20 2007, 05:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well javadude you showed me how to get my pic. on here.... but now I have a little different problem-- they're too big is there a simple way to down size them so they are not taking up the entire page???l

scribey is right. Sites like photobucket.com and imageshack.com have an edit feature where you can do various common edit functions, including resizing. Another option is to resize an image on your computer and upload that. Something I sometimes do is to take one of my webshots images, which are pretty big, and make a smaller version of it. Then I upload that to photobucket and use the smaller image as a link to the full size image. Click the small one to see the big one.

#17 javadude

javadude

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:14 PM

Computer keyboards (all the ones I've used, anyway) have a PrtScn key at the top above the cursor keys. Pressing that key will copy anything you can see on your monitor into an image file in the computer's clipboard. The clipboard is where windows stores in RAM anything that is copied or cut. This can then be pasted into an image editing program like Microsoft Paint. The resulting image can be resized/cropped and saved as one of several formats like .bmp, .jpg, .gif, etc.

Below is an PrtScn image I have resized to about 20% of the original size. Any questions?

#18 Sequoyah

Sequoyah

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:25 PM

Is this also sometimes referred to as a 'Screen Shot', or is that something different?

#19 javadude

javadude

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,956 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (mariahdrury @ Aug 22 2007, 01:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is this also sometimes referred to as a 'Screen Shot', or is that something different?

Same thing. Also referred to as a screencap (screen capture) and screen dump. I use a free program called ScreenPrint32 that automatically generates a jpg image of my screen every time I press the PrtScn key. It's pretty handy and allows me to take a large amount of screencaps in a very short time.

#20 mst3kster

mst3kster

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 03:30 PM

Good job javadude. smile.gif

Plus, this "How to bb stuff" thread is a lot better than a "How to stuff a bb" thread. wink.gif

Be yourself. Nobody else wants to be you.

Another day--another dollar's worth of work.

Being persnickety is just plain stinko.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users