• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:11 AM

Nice thread.

Some things kinda stand out, though:

QUOTE (crystalseth @ Aug 21 2007, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2. GREEN LEGEND RAN
5. STREET FIGHTER II(THE MOVIE)
18. FIST OF FURY(KING OF FIGHTERS MOVIE)

Are you guys sure Green Legend Ran and Street Fighter 2 aired on Sci-Fi back in the day? I watched Sci-Fi anime since they first premiered Venus Wars during one of their week-long Japanimation Festivals, so I figured I would've seen just about everything (plus all of the reruns).

I remember Green Legend Ran airing on some other network, not Sci-Fi. I can't remember the name of the channel...all I know is that the channel number was in the 60s, they usually aired their stuff at midnight, and it showed other anime like Wicked City, Zillions, Lupin, and The Professional. Again, I never remembered seeing it on Sci-Fi. Can I get a confirmation?

Same thing with Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie. I know it aired on HBO a lot during those times, but I don't remember seeing it on Sci-Fi.

Lastly, by "Fist of Fury" I think you meant Fatal Fury. I think someone else already mentioned that. To my memory, they only aired the 3rd one, "The Motion Picture." I don't remember seeing the first or second.

Great list, guys. I miss all of this stuff.

#22 DeadMorgoth

DeadMorgoth

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:44 AM

I still have a bunch of these on dusty old videocassettes so skiffy must have played also:

The Venus Wars
Orion(I don't even remember what this is but it must have come from scifi)
Cashaan: Robot Hunter
Tenchi Muyo in Love (think this is what meant by movie #1)
Adieu Galaxy Express 999
Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer (as I recall I loved this one back then, kind of like a soap opera on INSANE drugs)

there was a fatal fury movie but not sure exactly which one and i'm not gonna watch it now to get the exact title.
cool to be reminded of zeiram, those were great but i don't think i saw the second movie either.

I thought Ran was on skiffy too, but I don't have proof. I saw it but don't recognize those other animes... the other channel i used to get anime on i think was techtv but they mostly ran series - things like betterman and [all hail]Lain

scratch that, I do have proof as in a tape with Green Legend Ran on it labeled 'Anime from SciFi'

Edit: don't press tab then enter while posting
Legion of the Unlight, Bane of the Cleansed

#23 WINBACK

WINBACK

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (DeadMorgoth @ Jan 26 2008, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you mean Odin? I remember that on Sci-Fi. People call it Star Blazers. I don't know if they're the same thing or not.

#24 DeadMorgoth

DeadMorgoth

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:04 AM

what i have is listed as Orion, i don't remember-have to queue it up, but i have to skip through two tank hunter movies(my friends who didn't like anime seemed to love those). The only thing I know of as star blazers (which i saw as a teeny tot) was space battleship yamato and was a series, I'd have remembered if they played that I think...

It is Odin, there was a host who just said, 'now back to odin' I'm starting to remember this now... it was about a deep space... err... sailing ship

#25 arjay2813

arjay2813

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 553 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (DeadMorgoth @ Jan 26 2008, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still have a bunch of these on dusty old videocassettes so skiffy must have played also:

The Venus Wars
Cashaan: Robot Hunter
Tenchi Muyo in Love (think this is what meant by movie #1)
Adieu Galaxy Express 999
Urusei Yatsura: Beautiful Dreamer (as I recall I loved this one back then, kind of like a soap opera on INSANE drugs)
there was a fatal fury movie but not sure exactly which one and i'm not gonna watch it now to get the exact title.
cool to be reminded of zeiram, those were great but i don't think i saw the second movie either.

I thought Ran was on skiffy too, but I don't have proof

Edit: don't press tab then enter while posting

2 things: 1 (i may have missed this) who is skiffy?
2 why shouldnt people press tab then enter (out of curiosity)

...God i wish i could have seen these older anime on scifi T.T
For Shinigami-sama call:

The poster formerly

42 - 42 - 564

known as

shini-shini-koroshi

Rob the Otaku

#26 DeadMorgoth

DeadMorgoth

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 01:24 PM

Sorry to confuse, i seem to have taken to calling scifi skiffy lately

hitting tab while in the message entry window changes the cursor to 'add reply.' I'm not sure why but i kept hitting it.

some of those old movies were awesome, i'm glad i thought to record them

#27 DresdensGirl

DresdensGirl

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 07:33 PM

There was an anime that was aired on SciFi a long time ago when they did a summer of anime.
The movie was about a girl trying to find her brother who had been taken by this huge black blob thing that was swallowing a whole planet. There was a guy who rode on a lil helicopter bike that helped her out and I think they were both mercenaries.
That's pretty much all I can really remember. If anyone knows what anime this is I would greatly appreciate it.

"Life is a varitable cornicopia of suprises." -Bob (The Dresden Files)

#28 Nightroad

Nightroad

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (DresdensGirl @ Jan 26 2008, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was an anime that was aired on SciFi a long time ago when they did a summer of anime.
The movie was about a girl trying to find her brother who had been taken by this huge black blob thing that was swallowing a whole planet. There was a guy who rode on a lil helicopter bike that helped her out and I think they were both mercenaries.
That's pretty much all I can really remember. If anyone knows what anime this is I would greatly appreciate it.

It was one of my favorites.

Iria: Zeiram the Animation is its name if we are thinking of the same thing.

I wish they would show that again.
Posted Image

#29 SocialSecurity

SocialSecurity

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (DeadMorgoth @ Jan 26 2008, 11:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what i have is listed as Orion, i don't remember-have to queue it up, but i have to skip through two tank hunter movies(my friends who didn't like anime seemed to love those). The only thing I know of as star blazers (which i saw as a teeny tot) was space battleship yamato and was a series, I'd have remembered if they played that I think...

It is Odin, there was a host who just said, 'now back to odin' I'm starting to remember this now... it was about a deep space... err... sailing ship

Hmm tank hunter movies? If you are talking dominion Tank Police, I had friends who did not like Anime who loved those shows. I totally remember recording shows off SciFi, and HBO when I had it, hell any station that played anime. It was not like you could find shows everywhere like you can now. These tapes are running dangerously into the dusty side.

Ever had one of those moments you recorded things twice? Or, Recorded the wrong show, the tape hit the end, so your show had no end, the tracking was completley f-ed up due to a hungry VCR, Labled something wrong, or recorded OVER something you liked, um what else, oh, taped over someone else's show making enemies quickly, recorded a show where the channel got switched during taping, broke off the front cover of a tape (exposing it to the elements) Let's see, I know I am missing something here.

Speaking of labeling, I had a bad habit of NOT labeling (leaving dozens of black VHS tapes you had to sift through to find a show)

Anyhow, funky and bulky, nothing like a Tape back in the 80-90's
Killer times, work well.

#30 DresdensGirl

DresdensGirl

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Nightroad @ Jan 26 2008, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It was one of my favorites.

Iria: Zeiram the Animation is its name if we are thinking of the same thing.

I wish they would show that again.

Awesome!! Thank you so much. You have no idea how long I've been searching for that anime, but had basically nothing to go on.

"Life is a varitable cornicopia of suprises." -Bob (The Dresden Files)

#31 fugdabug

fugdabug

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE (crystalseth @ Aug 21 2007, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
here are a few anime titles that used to be on or shown on scifi, plz put down other titles that i didnt put down (SORRY IF I SPELT ANYTHING WRONG)
1. AKIRA
2. GREEN LEGEND RAN
3. VENUS WARS
4. GHOST IN THE SHELL(THE MOVIE)
5. STREET FIGHTER II(THE MOVIE)
6. LILLY C.A.T.
7. ARMITAGE THE THIRD
8. MACROSS PLUS THE MOVIE
9. VAMPIRE HUNTER D
10. DEMON CITY
11. IRIA THE ZERMAN ANIMATION(ANIME VERSION AND LIVE ACTION VERSION)
12. PATLABOR 1&2
13. AKO(ALL MOVIES)
14. TENCHI MUYO THE MOVIE(#1)
15. EYES OR MARS(I DON'T REMEMBER SOMETHING SIMILAR TO ONE OF THOSE NAMES)
16. APPLESEED(ORIGNAL MOVIE)
17. MACROSS 2
18. FIST OF FURY(KING OF FIGHTERS MOVIE)
19. Dominion Tank Police
20.Battle Angel
21.Battle Arena Toshiden
22.Roujin Z
23.Gall Force: 1

(im trying to find two movies one is with a young man who has a power in this mettalic glove and its like kinda futuristic and stuff and he likes this girl and such)

There are quite a few names I don't recognize as EVER being on SCI-Fi channel... Some were on premium movie channels By the way, do you mean Sc-rye-d (misspelled the hyphenation?)
that was on a different channel... CTN.
But how about KARAS the prophecy...

#32 arjay2813

arjay2813

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 553 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:35 PM

those anime crystalseth listed were played on scifi in the 90's. what are you mentioning sc-rye-d (dont think hyphens matter), but yeah it was on CN a year or two ago and not (yet) on scifi.

so far they only showed Karas: The Revelation on scifi (i think they don't have the rights to Karas: the Prophecy, but they might)
For Shinigami-sama call:

The poster formerly

42 - 42 - 564

known as

shini-shini-koroshi

Rob the Otaku

#33 DeadMorgoth

DeadMorgoth

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE (Funkgun @ Jan 26 2008, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm tank hunter movies? If you are talking dominion Tank Police

Indeed i was, must have mis-spoke.

#34 SocialSecurity

SocialSecurity

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (DeadMorgoth @ Jan 27 2008, 02:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Indeed i was, must have mis-spoke.

Dominion was hilarious back in the day. Especially the old ones.

And yeah Fugdabug, I think I saw a most of those on Sci-fi in the 90's too. I would have to say I never saw Green Legend Ran however, and maybe Battle Arena Toshinden. But, I probably just missed them. sad.gif .
Killer times, work well.

#35 Hisami

Hisami

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 512 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (WINBACK @ Jan 26 2008, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice thread.

Some things kinda stand out, though:
Are you guys sure Green Legend Ran and Street Fighter 2 aired on Sci-Fi back in the day? I watched Sci-Fi anime since they first premiered Venus Wars during one of their week-long Japanimation Festivals, so I figured I would've seen just about everything (plus all of the reruns).

I remember Green Legend Ran airing on some other network, not Sci-Fi. I can't remember the name of the channel...all I know is that the channel number was in the 60s, they usually aired their stuff at midnight, and it showed other anime like Wicked City, Zillions, Lupin, and The Professional. Again, I never remembered seeing it on Sci-Fi. Can I get a confirmation?

Same thing with Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie. I know it aired on HBO a lot during those times, but I don't remember seeing it on Sci-Fi.

Lastly, by "Fist of Fury" I think you meant Fatal Fury. I think someone else already mentioned that. To my memory, they only aired the 3rd one, "The Motion Picture." I don't remember seeing the first or second.
Great list, guys. I miss all of this stuff.

yeah i think some body got confused with Streetfighter2 i remeber watching it on HBO
actually if i can remeber right,they were showing Fatal Fury on sci-fi and Streetfighter2 on HBO at the same time
cause i remeber i was checking to see what els was on during fatal fury and i saw SF2 and i was kinda switching back and forth

also same thing about Green Legend Ran i dont remeber that anime on scifi
i do remeber watching Wicked City on some other channel o.o;;;; that movie pulled a 180 on me

and sci-fi didnt show APPLESEED it was showtime if im not mistaken i actually have an old vhs record of it some where

theres one anime i dont see on the list and thats "Robot Carnival"
i remeber them showing it more then once
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion........It's just that yours is stupid

#36 SocialSecurity

SocialSecurity

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:09 PM

Oh yeah, ROBOT CARNIVAL! I did see that on Sci-Fi
Killer times, work well.

#37 DeadMorgoth

DeadMorgoth

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 465 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 11:28 PM

I think somebody mentioned Robotcarnival. That was the flagship movie that kicked off the anime movies they played for a while. I watched it like a dozen times lol.

#38 Hisami

Hisami

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 512 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 12:05 AM

xD yeah i remeber they showed Akira then RC then uhm some anime Series (Record of Lodoss War i think)
then back to RC XD then next week one new movie and RC again!

i really miss Patlabor, i think they showed the OVA series of it not the TV Series they showed that on Showtime i think..or one of those channels

they should so show "Tetsuo:ironMan" or "TetsuoII: Body Hammer" omg my friend showed me those two movies and it freaks me out the fist one looks like it was done in the 50s and its pretty freaky
those two movies are sooooooo sci-fi channel!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion........It's just that yours is stupid

#39 SocialSecurity

SocialSecurity

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:07 AM

be cool to see, but! How on earth would they edit some tof the violence from Tetsuo Iron man? (drill that head)
Killer times, work well.

#40 arjay2813

arjay2813

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 553 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:41 AM

it seems to me that editing for tv has gone down. just a few years ago u wouldnt hear much swearing on tv, then south park came...a few years later came the epi w/sh!t said 100+ times. few days ago Harold and Kumar go to white castle was on, and it showed Kumars @ss, around 10am!...twice so yeah, i think it would only have a little editing
For Shinigami-sama call:

The poster formerly

42 - 42 - 564

known as

shini-shini-koroshi

Rob the Otaku

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users