10 replies to this topic

#1 PissedofVulcan

PissedofVulcan

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 08:20 PM

FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD. DID I SAY FRAUD. WERE IS THE AMAZING RANDI WHEN YOU NEED HIM.

104,000 Tons of Diplomacy

Posted Image

4.5 Acres of Sovereign American Territory any where in the world you want to put it.

#2 SylvreWolfe

SylvreWolfe

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18,715 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 08:49 AM

All Hail Prince of the Obvious.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For God and Farscape---Steve Palmer
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See, falling for Farscape was easy, because Farscape was me.
---Ross Ruediger Quote site
Regardless of the snark I spew, Ben Browder is one hell of
a man.

Stupid and hydrogen, the two most common elements in the
universe.

Posted Image

#3 stardestroyer

stardestroyer

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 01:52 PM

QUOTE (PissedoffVulcan @ Sep 4 2007, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD. DID I SAY FRAUD. WERE IS THE AMAZING RANDI WHEN YOU NEED HIM.

What a bunch of BS! Randi would have this guy for dinner. No way this guy would ever consider taking Randi's challenge. Too much money to be had fooling the fools.

#4 Myrealana

Myrealana

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:05 PM

He's an illusionist. He would be no more inclined to take Randi's challenge than David Copperfield. In fact, Brown himself is quite the skeptic of so-called paranormal phenomena.

Is Lance Burton a "Fraud" because he doesn't do real magic?
"You don't fix faith. Faith fixes you." - Shepherd Book
Posted Image

#5 SylvreWolfe

SylvreWolfe

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18,715 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (Myrealana @ Sep 5 2007, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's an illusionist. He would be no more inclined to take Randi's challenge than David Copperfield. In fact, Brown himself is quite the skeptic of so-called paranormal phenomena.

Is Lance Burton a "Fraud" because he doesn't do real magic?

One slight caveat for this.
Copperfield does not claim to be a magician, he claims to be an illusionist. He draws the distinction. I have seen a few of this shows.
And they are frauds if they claim to do *real* magic and don't.

For God and Farscape---Steve Palmer
See, falling for Farscape was easy, because Farscape was me.
---Ross Ruediger Quote site
Regardless of the snark I spew, Ben Browder is one hell of
a man.

Stupid and hydrogen, the two most common elements in the
universe.

Posted Image

#6 Myrealana

Myrealana

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:02 PM

I'm no expert on Derren Brown. I've only seen one episode of Mind Control. But in it, he made no claim of supernatural powers. In fact, in some cases, he explained how he did things. He would make a few observations, explain how he did them and then have the *wow* moment at the end of the trick. It was pretty obvious psychology in hindsight. He actually gives himself an advantage by explaining the first small feats by getting the audience looking for clues to that technique. When he switches for the finale, no one is looking in the right place.

It's nothing more than what any other illusionist does, and as far as I can see, he makes no claim that it is. He claims to use "a mixture of magic (i.e. illusion), suggestion, psychology, misdirection and showmanship." He has even written books debunking actual frauds like cold readers and con artists.

QUOTE (SylvreWolfe @ Sep 5 2007, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Copperfield does not claim to be a magician, he claims to be an illusionist. He draws the distinction. I have seen a few of this shows.

"Welcome to the Magic of David Copperfield" -- http://www.davidcopperfield.com/
"Lance Burton: Master Magician" -- http://www.lanceburton.com/
"Steve Wyrick - Mind-blowing Magic" -- http://www.stevewyrick.com/ (Whose Vegas show is called "Real Magic")

I don't think anyone goes to these shows expecting to see Harry Potter.

Well, to be fair, I suppose some people do - but those people are stupid.
"You don't fix faith. Faith fixes you." - Shepherd Book
Posted Image

#7 OwnerM

OwnerM

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:09 PM

One slight caveat for this.
And they are frauds if they claim to do *real* magic and don't.

What a bunch of BS! Randi would have this guy for dinner. No way this guy would ever consider taking Randi's challenge. Too much money to be had fooling the fools.

Fraud?

Where?

For the record I belong to randi.org forum. And also, for the record, Derren won't take Randi's challenge because by Derren's own admission what he does is tricks. Derren is NOT doing what John Edwards (a real fake and the biggest *** in the universe) is claiming.

Derren is a magician. An illusionist. Same thing. Like Copperfield. Like Randi. (For the record, Randi claims to be a magician too. So does Penn & Teller. Magician = illusionist. Sheesh!)

He's never claimed to ANY supernatural powers. In fact, if you saw his last show, you'd see he's on Randi's side and DEBUNKING such things as that. His book blasts NLP, Hypnosis, and other "psychic" bull things. Also, at least twice he says he uses "showmanship and misdirection" for his show.

Lighten up. It's all an illusion. You've been fooled.

And you really fell for it and took his tricks as for real, huh?

(And for the record, I think you both are trolling. Nobody's that stupid).

#8 Motorhead151

Motorhead151

Peacekeeper

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 571 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:42 AM

Haha, what dumb posters we have. Fraud? At.....doing very earthly things that anyone can learn?

#9 CAPTAINnnnnnn

CAPTAINnnnnnn

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:48 PM

Ah, is he is an illusionist, who doesn't usually say he is?
" If it's messed up, don't worry, they'll just keep remaking it anyway "

#10 chaugnurfaugn

chaugnurfaugn

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:58 PM

Fraud? Whu?
Um... aaaanyway, I agree with the previous poster about John Edwards. Tongue in cheek 'magic' is one thing, John Edwards is some kind of sick exploitation. Yes, he gives people what he thinks they need and his 'readings' are always positive, but ultimately he's a predator feeding on other peoples' desperation in grief, when they're at their most vulnerable. A bit like undertakers, the bastards. Oh, wait.

#11 dk999

dk999

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:14 AM

QUOTE (PissedoffVulcan @ Sep 4 2007, 08:20 PM) FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD. DID I SAY FRAUD. WERE IS THE AMAZING RANDI WHEN YOU NEED HIM.

Isn't he just a psychologist delivering subliminal messages over time to influence his subjects??
He always explains his methodology for every 'illusion' I've seen?
Just a clever guy I think!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users