• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dazzler69

Dazzler69

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 06:47 AM

I was searching for a site that he responds to. Can anybody direct?

I would like to know if he can help give people a photographic memory. It would be great to relive past memories which seems to be in his power.

#2 pkellmey

pkellmey

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 07:11 AM

QUOTE (Dazzler69 @ Sep 6 2007, 06:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to know if he can help give people a photographic memory. It would be great to relive past memories which seems to be in his power.

There is no real thing such as photographic memory. However, there are people with brain injuries who come very close but they definitely do not enjoy the ability. Also, there are many memory techniques that work really well with most of them being based on the same methods. What you may be talking about is different - it would be more like emotional memory. We usually remember things initially without the emotion and then when we recall the memory, we add the emotion that we currently have about that period of time back into the memory. However, because we have nothing to compare our memory emotion to, we never realize it. So you should be able to do this with nearly any type of memory that you have - and researchers have actually done this in experiments by taking bad experiences and placing happy emotions on them during recall. So, just remember with happy thoughts.

#3 oakenbanshee

oakenbanshee

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 203 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 01:03 PM

I'm sorry I have to disagree with the poster above who discounted the existence of photographic memory. It does exist. Most often it is found among those who (over) utilize those portions of the brain which deal with memorization as opposed to logic. Illiterates are the group most often seen as an example. Also, according to studies which I won't cite here but which are readily available if you seek them, photographic memory is a talent that is more often demonstrated with the remembrance of a positioning of objects, rather than in the case of a quantity of printed words. For example, one graduate student pursuing material for her thesis at the University of Wisconsin, in 1989, recorded a gentleman who was able to correctly relate the position of 1,039 random, common objects (pictures of a chicken, a rubber ball, a tornado, a sewing needle, etc.) shown him on a large poster which he was allowed to see for ten seconds' time. Her conclusion was that this was only attributable to the ability to recall an image or images as if the participant was seeing them on a photograph stored inside the brain. Makes for interesting reading.

#4 pkellmey

pkellmey

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 09:37 AM

Most memory experts agree with that it's just focus point memory. If you ask them to paint a building from memory or ask them where certain things are, they are very good at it and can go in extreme detail. However, if you ask them about things in visual range that you did not ask them to remember, things begin to get dicey because it is a detail that they did not bother picturing. Though impressive, it's just a nice memory trick.

#5 OwnerM

OwnerM

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 02:29 PM

I know I keep bringing this up, but he tackles this issue on memory as well.

Get his book "Tricks of the Mind". There's a whole section that he gives to not only explains why photographic memory does not exist, but how to improv your own to make it seem like you do.

And it works.

#6 Luxavius

Luxavius
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

[Edited by moderator]

#7 pkellmey

pkellmey

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (Luxavius @ Jan 4 2008, 05:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Eidetic memory does exist and has been proven numerous times throughout history in savants, autistics, and even a few regular guys. I'm not sure how someone can say it doesn't exist when there are videos proofing it. illustrates my argument. His memory isn't flawless,

You've answered your own question. Photographic memory assumes flawless memory, hence another term "total recall". It is never completely photographic or total when they are actually tested on it. However, as you've pointed out, it is not uncommon for people to have really good memory that some people would be led to believe seems complete.

#8 Luxavius

Luxavius
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

What you don't seem to understand is the definition:

Eidetic memory, photographic memory, or total recall is the ability to recall images, sounds, or objects in memory with extreme accuracy and in abundant volume.

Not even a camera can take truly photographic pictures by your definition, since information will always be lost on some smaller level.

#9 fusion376

fusion376

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:31 AM

phonographic memory i don't think so it exits ,yeah, but someone can improve his/her memory. Moreover i think Sharp memory power is God gifted.

#10 limotek

limotek

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:13 AM

I'm not sure about photographic memory but there are hundreds of tricks to help improve your memory.

One method I thought was great was the story method where lets say you have a hundred objects to memorise, you make up a story in your mind and build in the objects into your story (the more abstract you make the object in the story, the easier it is to extract when you replay the story in your mind). It's hugely effective and I'm able to remember a hundred objects quite easily.

#11 Luxavius

Luxavius
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:11 PM

I'm not sure about photographic memory but there are hundreds of tricks to help improve your memory.

One method I thought was great was the story method where lets say you have a hundred objects to memorise, you make up a story in your mind and build in the objects into your story (the more abstract you make the object in the story, the easier it is to extract when you replay the story in your mind). It's hugely effective and I'm able to remember a hundred objects quite easily.I'm not sure about photographic memory but there are hundreds of tricks to help improve your memory.

One method I thought was great was the story method where lets say you have a hundred objects to memorise, you make up a story in your mind and build in the objects into your story (the more abstract you make the object in the story, the easier it is to extract when you replay the story in your mind). It's hugely effective and I'm able to remember a hundred objects quite easily.I'm not sure about photographic memory but there are hundreds of tricks to help improve your memory.

One method I thought was great was the story method where lets say you have a hundred objects to memorise, you make up a story in your mind and build in the objects into your story (the more abstract you make the object in the story, the easier it is to extract when you replay the story in your mind). It's hugely effective and I'm able to remember a hundred objects quite easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users