#1 anwy

anwy

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 06 October 2007 - 07:36 PM

Hi everyone

I was just wondering if you think B5 will ever be on HD-DVD or Blu-ray DVDs. HD certainly being the technology of the future, that will be a shame to lose the show (as if it would have never been released on DVDs). I'm not sure it would really look that better though. By the way, do you know if B5 was made for future HD releases ?

#2 StarPowerWarrior

StarPowerWarrior

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:54 PM

If I am not mistaken (someone please correct me if I am) B-5 was one of the first, if not the first, TV series shot in wide-screen format. The format does lend itself to HD by nature, but I am not sure if JMS shot it in wide-screen with a future HD release in mind.

As to it coming out in HD on some medium, I do not know, so cannot say. wink.gif However, if it does, I'll buy it and sell my DVDs.

Would it look better? Well, that will depend on the rendering. I know someone who bought the DVDs, and played them on a DVD player and HD-TV combination. He said the DVDs did not look that good upscaled to the native resolution of his TV. Personally, I have to wonder whether that result was because of the DVDs, or because of the scaler. If the scaler is no good, the result certainly won't be any good either. Not everyone uses what is considered the industry leader in scalers - Faroudja.
All the best,
Matthew

Posted Image

#3 Kosh2257

Kosh2257

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:06 PM

I would say that if it does, the master copy's will have to be digital remastered, as they are now I would say that they wouldn't even make the HD format. you can see it the picture sometimes even on the DVDs, the picture quality is somewhat below par.

#4 suicideeddie

suicideeddie

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:48 AM

QUOTE (kosh2257 @ Oct 11 2007, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would say that if it does, the master copy's will have to be digital remastered, as they are now I would say that they wouldn't even make the HD format. you can see it the picture sometimes even on the DVDs, the picture quality is somewhat below par.

heres a little reading on the b5 video, http://www.modeemi.f...VDTransfer.html

#5 Xeromem1

Xeromem1

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 08:51 PM

That was very interesting reading, thanks for posting the link.
Posted Image
"But I can dream, can't I. Even if it's only for a little while."
Custom banner created by Almathea

#6 anwy

anwy

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:00 AM

QUOTE (kosh2257 @ Oct 11 2007, 03:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The DVD do not indeed always good but they're still better than my old tapes. But if DVDs are bound to disappear someday better have B5 on HD to immortalize the show!
I'll buy them (when I have the player)

#7 Raycheetah

Raycheetah

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:43 AM

QUOTE (anwy @ Nov 5 2007, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The DVD do not indeed always good but they're still better than my old tapes. But if DVDs are bound to disappear someday better have B5 on HD to immortalize the show!

I think that, even if the recording medium changes to something more advanced than HD DVDs, Babylon 5 will be available in whatever new format appears. B5 is not just a great show, it is a sci-fi classic, and, as long as Warner Bros. recognizes the ongoing demand for ready-made, quality sci-fi, it will have a place in the inventory.

-Raycheetah =^[.]^=
The enjoyment of any good thing is only enhanced by sharing it with others.

http://fans4writers.com/ support the WGA writers strike

Posted Image

http://forums.scifi....owtopic=2285065

#8 lurker452

lurker452

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 November 2007 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (anwy @ Nov 5 2007, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While high definition may be the future I wouldn't be too concerned about it right now. Sure it's all the hype and the emphasis on hype. However DVDs are going to be around for quite some time and you can rest assured that until you can buy a the complete Babylon 5 series on the next generation there's absolutely no worries. In the near future any HD releases will turn out to be series released from a last few years and then the most popular. While I have no doubt by Babylon five and will appear in HD it is many years off.

There is absolutely no guarantee that the "next generation" will turn out to be HD DVD/Blueray especially since there are both competing formats at this time. At this precise time you would be foolish to back either format instead waiting until one format becomes the mainstream, which will be at the very least five years away. DVD simply doesn't have any competition at this exact time. Any high-definition format for the foreseeable future will remain a niche market, regardless of any promotional bull**it.
Same Dren, different planet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users