12 replies to this topic

#1 knightmuzic

knightmuzic

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 09:31 AM

This post is for everybody, not just the newbies, as a reminder. This board has always had higher standards of conduct than the rest of the SciFi network. New folks may not be aware of this, and us older ones may lapse from time to time. But here it is spelled out.
  • Don't feed the trolls. Trolling is a method of posting specifically designed to anger or upset members of the board. Disagreement is one thing, egging someone on is another. Best thing to do when somebody posts flame-bait is to ignore it or, if it's really bad, contact the SciFi board admin.
  • No bashing. Again, not liking something or someone is one thing. Just say "I'm not liking this" and leave it at that. Going on a paragraphs-long rant about how much something "sucks" for no apparent reason is immature and could also be considered trolling. And constantly arguing with someone you don't get along with detracts from the quality of the discussion. This type of behaviour is generally frowned upon here and will usually get a verbal smackdown from us "Elders".
  • Be polite. Don't be rude, abrasive and sweary here. There's no place for that. Instead, remember the manners your mother taught you. A "please", "thank you", or "may I" never hurts. If you have an opinion, phrase it politely so it isn't misconstrued as you promoting it like it's a fact. You'll get people's dander up if you act like you have the last word on the subject.
  • Know what you're talking about. If you don't really understand something, it's ok to say "I don't know." And it's perfectly ok to ask for an explanation if you don't "get it". But don't act like you know about something, when a lengthy conversation with you will prove you don't really know the subject as well as you'd like to appear. In other words, don't be quick to assume things.
  • Don't be intimidated. Especially if you're a newbie. Us "Elders" love the "new blood" who ask questions out of a genuine desire to understand the concepts behind FK. We love to impart wisdom where needed and share some insights from a new pair of eyes. Don't be afraid to start a discussion if you spot something interesting in an episode that you want to highlight. Conversation is always good, and no question is a dumb question.
I think that's a pretty good start for a list of guidelines for this board. Any other folks can feel free to add to the list. We're not trying to be uptight here, honest. We're just trying to make the experience of posting here as pleasant as possible for all involved. And that generally works best when all posters know what conduct is expected of them.

#2 StillPeridotEyes

StillPeridotEyes

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,155 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for reminding me of my manners. I am chastened.

*goes off to clean up her messes*

#3 StillPeridotEyes

StillPeridotEyes

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,155 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:52 AM

There, isn't that nicer? Thanks again for reminding me to rise above.

You're a good'un, you are. *smooch!* I feel better now.
'It's the same rain...'

#4 knightmuzic

knightmuzic

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 01:26 PM

I was going to do this for a long while now. It's better to have it all spelled out, eh? Besides, I've lapsed occasionally myself. We're all just being human.

Do you know how to pin this topic, so it's up at the top of the board where everybody can see it?

EDIT (4:50PM EST): Thank you to whomever pinned the topic. That was good of you. biggrin.gif

Edited by knightmuzic, 20 October 2007 - 03:50 PM.

#5 StillPeridotEyes

StillPeridotEyes

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,155 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:39 PM

Admin does it.

One of them happens to be a fan. How about that? I kept forgetting to mention that, silly me...
'It's the same rain...'

#6 knightmuzic

knightmuzic

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 06:00 PM

...One of 'em is a fan? Awesome! biggrin.gif

#7 StillPeridotEyes

StillPeridotEyes

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,155 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 01:55 PM

QUOTE (knightmuzic @ Oct 21 2007, 06:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...One of 'em is a fan? Awesome! biggrin.gif

How else do ya think ya got pinned so quick, sweetie? laugh.gif And darn moi for forgetting to mention it for so long. Oopsie.

But I did nag and beg and b!tch and holler about us getting flushed down the loo last year without any advance warning...that's howcome the vote, and thus the restoration. *bows* I'm such a nudge! b!itch b!tch b!tch, moan moan moan, that was moi!

No applause, please, just throw money and jewels! ;-)
'It's the same rain...'

#8 knightmuzic

knightmuzic

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 11:14 AM

QUOTE (PeridotEyes @ Oct 22 2007, 02:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But I did nag and beg and b!tch and holler about us getting flushed down the loo last year without any advance warning...

I pretty much left in a huff. LOL!

#9 StillPeridotEyes

StillPeridotEyes

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,155 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 01:09 PM

QUOTE (knightmuzic @ Oct 23 2007, 11:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I pretty much left in a huff. LOL!

I had way too many years invested to give up without some kind of fight...besides, I had nowhere else to go. I lost all my bookmarks at the same time and without this board I had no way to recover them efficiently.

I couldn't find the fanfic. I was truly lost.

There was some hope if SciFi gave the board back and people came back I could recover some of those places I knew and loved. And look what came to pass! smile.gif I just had faith.

Plus I pointed out how unfair it was that we had no advance warning that we were to be dumped. I think the unfairness of this really persuaded Admin to bring back the board. My years of managing a Customer Service department really hold me in good stead sometimes. cool.gif Plus there is the admin fan...

biggrin.gif
'It's the same rain...'

#10 LusciniaMegarhynchos

LusciniaMegarhynchos

Viper Pilot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 November 2007 - 11:51 PM

Let us add:

If you wish to conduct a flame war with an individual who may have strong opinions that are being expressed in a manner you (and possibly others) find offensive, take it off the forum. There is the private message option and if they block you for your private response, take a hint and ignore them and their posts. We do not need to provide an audience for cat calling.
Slings, Arrows (NO WOODEN SHAFTS, please!)

....Outrageous Fortune?

Knightingale

#11 StillPeridotEyes

StillPeridotEyes

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,155 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 01:59 PM

Hear, Hear!

#12 gupeter3

gupeter3

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 05:19 PM

I thought Forever Knight was a great show..... I mean great. The standard formula with the reluctant hero.

But when you start speaking of "elders" that smacks of that wannabe vampire document. What do they call it? The Veil or whatnot? The one for those that actually think they are actually vampires.

#13 knightmuzic

knightmuzic

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:06 PM

We've been using the them "Elders" for a long while, now. But only in gentle teasing of those of us who've been fans and on this board for a very long time (I'm talking at least the better part of a decade). Hence, the scare quotes.

It's meant as a light-hearted zinger towards our compunctions and any sense of entitlement we may or may not feel as the "old guard" of the FK fandom.

And, at any rate, what's a vampire fandom without sufficiently "vampy" terminology? (None of us think we're vampires -- we just happen to like 'em.)

smile.gif

Angel's Online Memorial
In fond memory of the gentlest soul I ever knew. (2/15/08)

(Please do not send me PMs. I won't be able to read them 'cos Skiffy screwed up.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users