Dark Kingdom The Dragon King

4 replies to this topic

#1 beangasmic

beangasmic

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:30 PM

Hello everyone - I am a "newbie" to this forum.

I was lucky to be channel surfing late at night on December 29th and saw the movie just by accident, but only about half way through. I love ancient Norse mythology and have loved the tale of the Ring since childhood. I saw Wagners opera "The Ring" and I instantly recognized the movie story within a minute of watching the film, but I had no idea the title of the movie - big bummer the ending credits were cut and no way to identify the film. I'm really determined, so I checked Netflix and did a search based on the names of the actors in the film.

Sounds like the American Region 1 version is all chopped up and the European Region 2 version is clearly a superior version. This is really common, and I am a British and European film buff and noticed that European Region 2 DVD's always seem to have much better "Special Features" and the longer version of the film is on the Euro DVD - while the American release always is cut, spliced and diced to bits.

I tried visiting UK Amazon.com to see if I could buy a European version of the movie, but it was really odd and they only had Region 1 which is American version for sale. I spent about 30 minutes online searching for the UNCUT version and can't find it anywhere.

Even though I missed the first half of the film and only saw about one hour, I loved it. Usually Sci Fi made for TV movies are sort of cheesy, but I was impressed with this film - despite all the cuts and edits. I thought Julian Sands was wonderful and gave a deliciously evil performance as the villian without being over the top - it is a problem that many screen villians wind up just doing a charicacture of a villian, whereas Julian Sands deftly managed to create a dark, sinister character without being hammy. Many of the actors I never heard of - except for Alicia Witt and Samuel West, the cast was all new to me. Now my brand new crush is on that yummy German actor who plays Siegrfried - not only is he a Yummy Kitten Mansicle but that guy can reall act so skillfully.

If anyone has the uncut European version I would gladly pay you to burn a DVD for me. I am now a big fan of this film - I am addicted to Lord of the Rings and just wish that Sci Fi channel would turn Dark Kingdom into a weekly series - or at least show the UNCUT version for us die-hard fans.

The ending was so heartbreaking - like a Shakespearean tragedy when everyone dies and the living left behind are thwarted for life - like King Lear or Hamlet ending which ends so tragically. The film is like a morality tale - and a treatiste on the evils of human nature which allows greed to blind our race. I thought Alicia Witt was very good and her love for her sweetheart was so touching. I liked the scene where she forgives Brunhilde - despite the rival for her husbands love was so nasty, rotten and so mean and jealous. But despite her being so wicked, I felt sympathy for Brunhilde, she is blinded by her passion, erotic longings and love for Siegfried - her love blinds her and she loses all reason. When she dies and commits suicide at the end of the film by putting herself on the funeral pyre boat - dying with her lover, that just ICED IT for me! I guess Brunhilde felt she had nothing more to live for. But I wondered, what happened to her kingdom - and who was going to rule?

It was interesting to see the struggle between the Christians and the pagans - the clash of cultures and ideology. Sort of evocative of that Avalon movie that Sci Fi channel made, which also focuses on culture class between "The Old Religion" and budding Christianity in Europe. But I thought that version of the Arthur tale was sort of cheesy and tinkered too much with the myth. In contrast, the Sci Fi Channel did a much better job with Dark Kingdom. It reminded me of a theatrical feature film, not just a TV movie - the production vaules were very good, the costumes, cinematography and direction was first class!

If anyone can help me out with advice where to find the longer, uncut European Region 2 DVD I will be eternally grateful!

#2 Champetrnl

Champetrnl

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2008 - 08:34 AM

I just discovered this movie last week. Actually I haven't even seen it, just a trailer of it online. It look amazing! I quickly found it on Bestbuy.com. Unfortunately, I didn't realize it was missing a whole hour of content until after I got it, thank you Wikipedia. Amazon UK does sell the "uncut version" under the name "The Sword of Xanten". I ordered my new copy last night. It is a region 2 DVD. 190 minutes on 2 DVDs. I hope this helps.

#3 kr20000

kr20000

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:18 AM

cool
Check Mark Dacascos, famous Action Movie star, in All New episodes of KRDK every Saturday morning, as Eubulon!
Posted Image
New Show: Kamen Rider premieres on The CW Network Saturday mornings at 11:30am (ET).

#4 ryan89

ryan89

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:14 AM

yes, really very nice movie

#5 theKingoftheNorth

theKingoftheNorth

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

I wish Syfy would show this movie again sometime it's really great!!!!!!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users