• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jane Knight Underworld Woman

Jane Knight Underworld Woman

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:19 AM

As Underworld Woman, I would love to hear horror stories about some of the world's oldest, decrepit and scariest elevators, since I often use them and love being trapped in them.  I have submitted a proposal to Discovery Networks' Travel Channel about doing a television series devoted to this topic while playing acoustic guitar and wearing my UW uni.  Here are some scary elevators I recently came across:  

+  PHOENIX THEATRE, 749 Park Avenue, Indianapolis--The elevator in this building does not function well, as I pressed the floor buttons and the lift did not budge.  I was even locked inside with the lights off and could not push the door open, since it was locked from the outside!  The only chance you have of getting out is to press the red bell button and get an attendant to open the door; otherwise, you will be trapped in here forever!

+  HOLIDAY INN NORTHWEST, Michigan Road and DePauw Boulevard, Indianapolis--The front lobby elevator, which is glass-enclosed, does not even have a light inside, since the illumination comes from the lighting outside.  It is like being in a game show's isolation booth; and the outer door sometimes get locked, even when the elevator arrives at the floor landing.   The only way to get the lift to run is to have your finger pressed continuously on the white button; otherwise, you will be trapped between floors.  

+  BACK ELEVATOR, CIRCLE TOWER, Monument Circle, Downtown Indianapolis--I have been trapped in this cage when it arrives at the floor landing, only to have the scissor gate and outer swing door remain locked.  It is an exhilirating ride, however, when the light is turned off and the cage is whizzing by all 15 floors at a surprisingly fast speed, with a breeze of air going up into my shorts, making for a truly airborne experience!  I love this elevator!

+  BACK ELEVATOR, PITTENGER CENTER, Ball State University, Muncie, IN--This loading dock elevator is truly a cage, with entry gates at both sides of the car as well as sliding vertical landing doors which open and close automatically.  Another of my all-time personal favorites.  

+  WEST QUAD, Ball State University, Muncie, IN--I love this slow-moving elevator, which makes a loud noise letting you know you are airborne when the elevator moves upward through five floors.  The "U" button is stuck, causing the elevator to go up automatically when it arrives at the ground floor landing.  

+  NORTH QUAD, Ball State University, Muncie, IN--There was an old elevator in which the door stayed open for only one whole second; you had to get in or out quickly; if you got trapped, the elevator took you where it wanted, sometimes going non-stop in both directions!  This lift has been replaced by a new one in which there is now a "Door Time" button which allows the passenger to keep the elevator door on hold before it closes.  

+  SHIRCLIFFE CENTER, Vincennes University, Vincennes, IN--When riding in this elevator, the passenger is unsure if the lift is ever moving, since it travels ever so slowly between three floors.  

+  HILL'S DEPARTMENT STORE, Vincennes, IN--This former department store, now supposedly a church according to research I've done on the Net, had an elevator that made a loud noise consisting of a blast of air when traveling through four floors, sometimes taking me non-stop without the door ever opening.  

+  KNOX COUNTY COURTHOUSE, Vincennes, IN--This elevator's motors actually sounded like the turbo lift from STAR TREK when I rode in this contraption in 1985.  

+  EIFFEL TOWER REPICA, Kings Island, Kings Mills, Ohio--This lift goes swiftly airborne to about 500 feet above sea level; you can see the amusement park below you through several windows inside the lift, though when the elevator attendant's transmitter radio is heard, you sometimes wonder if the lift is encountering turbulence.  

+  FREIGHT ELEVATOR, City-County Building, Indianapolis--You have to get on two separate elevators to get to the 28th floor observation deck--one, the big lift with the 4-ply doors which I christened the Hillary Clinton, which swiftly travels through the first 26 with help from an attendant; then you may get stuck in the platform room while waiting for the other smaller lift to show up and take you the rest of the way.  The same problem is encountered when trying to get back down to street level.  

+  OLD FIRST BANK BUILDING, Downtown South Bend, IN--There are two elevator women who operate the lifts in this building as well as a self-service elevator.  When riding the attendant-operated lifts, you can never be sure if you will ever get out at the floor requested.

#2 Tazer

Tazer

Psychohistorian

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,243 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:45 PM

well University hall at BGSU where I go to school the elevator is supposedly haunted by 2 small children, a boy and a girl, Ive never seen them but the elevator just plain out stinks.... it stops at random floors and the door takes a lifetime to close
Im Not Touching You!!!!!
Im Not Touching You!!!!!!
Im Not Touching You!!!

#3 Jane Knight Underworld Woman

Jane Knight Underworld Woman

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (Gheist @ Jan 13 2008, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well University hall at BGSU where I go to school the elevator is supposedly haunted by 2 small children, a boy and a girl, Ive never seen them but the elevator just plain out stinks.... it stops at random floors and the door takes a lifetime to close

I know where BGSU is--directly south of Toledo. I am familiar with the schools of the Mid-Am Conference since I graduated from Ball State. I also distinctly remember passing through Toledo to get to Canada, since Windsor is the nearest point in that country from Indianapolis--at 300 miles. Thanks for responding. --UW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users