• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LeadGuitar

LeadGuitar

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:05 PM

This is a fantastic show that lets kids get involved with ghost hunting. It is SCARY and FUN!! I have wanted this program to return to air for the past eight years. It is a wonderful program that NEEDS to be be pushed more in the SciFi promo schedule. This program will take off it just needs more promotion time on your network. "Scary...But True" was originally titled "REAL Scary Stories" and it aired on FOX Family Channel a few years back. I wrote the following on a blog about this program.

Real Ghosts/ Real Kids/ Fantastic! BRING IT BACK!!
January 2, 2007
1 of 3 found this review helpful.

By theleadguitarman See all theleadguitarman's reviews (1)

Back in 2000, I was working at a FOX TV station when I caught a promotional advertisement (promo) for the new FOX Family Channel program called, "REAL Scary Stories" when we were running FOX KIDS cartoons during the afternoon. I was stunned that such a cool looking show was going to be run on FOX Family instead of the normal FOX network. I'm glad I caught that promo because when I saw the show it blew me away and I became an instant fan!!

The show was a mix of "folk and fact" about real kids who were investigating real places in their area that were really haunted!
The program was basically made/shot in a "Blair Witch Project" movie style.
This is basically how the show went:
Kids wrote their letters/stories about haunted places in their area and then sent them to FOX Family. The kids who's letters are picked get to be on the show. The staff of "REAL Scary Stories" either sends out a video crew and/or hires a local production staff to video tape the event. The kids are given video cameras to document their experiences while they investigate. Sometimes local ghost hunter groups are contacted to help out and maybe loan out some of their ghost hunting equipment and hopefully they'll get some free "on air" time.

T.A.P.S. on Scifi's "GhostHunters" helped out on a ghost investigation for the kids during one of the episodes of REAL Scary Stories.
The show is wonderful! I wish it would come back. Real kids in real life situations dealing with ghosts. It reminded me of when I was a kid and how scared I got when I went looking for ghosts at the age of 12. I'm almost in my 40's now and when I watched this show it made me feel like a kid again! That is a feeling which I miss. For this reason I think the program would have survived if it had been picked up by a network with some viewers!!! I think that young kids and adults, who are kids at heart, would have liked this show if it had been on a better network such as FOX or Scifi.
The Scifi Channel needs to pick up this program and brush it's dust off and air it. It is still a great show with a terrific concept!
My only dislike about the show is that it should have been an hour long instead of 30 minutes and my other dislike is it being dropped when The Family Channel switched from "FOX" and went with "ABC".

I strongly suggest to anyone reading this review to please write to the FOX Network or "Scifi" Channel and ask them to please put this wonderful show back on the air!!

Thank You.
Sincerely,
Scott Morgan

#2 notTjillslave

notTjillslave

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 02:52 AM

OMG!! I love this show!! I will never forget watching this show in the afternoons and a bunch of us wanting to go GHOST BUSTING!! This show was always one of our favorites, we would sit around and all of us telling each other ghost stories!!! That is one show I miss a lot. A few years ago I told my niece about this show and how it frightened me and my friends while watching this show. TAPS is ok , but I think it's not very interesting to watch (for me) because it usually deals with personal issues between the team members (BLAAA!) The LAST thing I want to watch is a life drama (ugh). KNow what I mean? 80% of Ghost hunters is dealing with Bryan (I think thats his name) and less than 2% was a ghost. Know what I mean?
Side by side Ghost hunters is not really as scary compared to this one. Scary but true, is actually fun too because we can imagine ourselves being RIGHT THERE!!! I am so happy this is now on SciFi!!!!! YEAH!!! biggrin.gif

#3 LeadGuitar

LeadGuitar

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

YEAH! I know I love this show too!! I wish, wish, wish this show was airing EVERY Tuesday night!! I would tune in religiously if SciFi put it on as a regular show.

Scott

#4 KarinaKay

KarinaKay

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:44 AM

QUOTE (LeadGuitar @ Mar 21 2008, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a fantastic show that lets kids get involved with ghost hunting. It is SCARY and FUN!! I have wanted this program to return to air for the past eight years. It is a wonderful program that NEEDS to be be pushed more in the SciFi promo schedule. This program will take off it just needs more promotion time on your network. "Scary...But True" was originally titled "REAL Scary Stories" and it aired on FOX Family Channel a few years back. I wrote the following on a blog about this program.
Real Ghosts/ Real Kids/ Fantastic! BRING IT BACK!!
January 2, 2007
1 of 3 found this review helpful.

By theleadguitarman See all theleadguitarman's reviews (1)

Back in 2000, I was working at a FOX TV station when I caught a promotional advertisement (promo) for the new FOX Family Channel program called, "REAL Scary Stories" when we were running FOX KIDS cartoons during the afternoon. I was stunned that such a cool looking show was going to be run on FOX Family instead of the normal FOX network. I'm glad I caught that promo because when I saw the show it blew me away and I became an instant fan!!

The show was a mix of "folk and fact" about real kids who were investigating real places in their area that were really haunted!
The program was basically made/shot in a "Blair Witch Project" movie style.
This is basically how the show went:
Kids wrote their letters/stories about haunted places in their area and then sent them to FOX Family. The kids who's letters are picked get to be on the show. The staff of "REAL Scary Stories" either sends out a video crew and/or hires a local production staff to video tape the event. The kids are given video cameras to document their experiences while they investigate. Sometimes local ghost hunter groups are contacted to help out and maybe loan out some of their ghost hunting equipment and hopefully they'll get some free "on air" time.

T.A.P.S. on Scifi's "GhostHunters" helped out on a ghost investigation for the kids during one of the episodes of REAL Scary Stories.
The show is wonderful! I wish it would come back. Real kids in real life situations dealing with ghosts. It reminded me of when I was a kid and how scared I got when I went looking for ghosts at the age of 12. I'm almost in my 40's now and when I watched this show it made me feel like a kid again! That is a feeling which I miss. For this reason I think the program would have survived if it had been picked up by a network with some viewers!!! I think that young kids and adults, who are kids at heart, would have liked this show if it had been on a better network such as FOX or Scifi.
The Scifi Channel needs to pick up this program and brush it's dust off and air it. It is still a great show with a terrific concept!
My only dislike about the show is that it should have been an hour long instead of 30 minutes and my other dislike is it being dropped when The Family Channel switched from "FOX" and went with "ABC".

I strongly suggest to anyone reading this review to please write to the FOX Network or "Scifi" Channel and ask them to please put this wonderful show back on the air!!

Thank You.
Sincerely,
Scott Morgan

Where did you find this article? I'd like to learn more about TAPS and their involvement with the show.

#5 LeadGuitar

LeadGuitar

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:54 PM

I think SciFi needs to contact Kathryn Tucker Windham to do a show about southern ghosts!!! It's now April 8, 2008 there is plenty of time to do a Halloween show between now and Oct 31! smile.gif Ever since the SciFi Channel came on air I thought it would be cool idea to have a "live" version of 13 Alabama Ghosts and Jeffrey as well as the other books Ms. Windham has written smile.gif

#6 LeadGuitar

LeadGuitar

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 05:25 AM

Wouldn't that be great! A SciFi Halloween Special hosted by Kathryn Tucker Windham!

#7 LeadGuitar

LeadGuitar

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:40 PM

I hope this show comes back for Halloween!!!

#8 LeadGuitar

LeadGuitar

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:43 AM

I see this show is still listed but I never see it on the scheduled calendar. Are they just going to marathon it until they run their contract out?

#9 ladybrisen

ladybrisen

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (notTjillslave @ Mar 21 2008, 03:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG!! I love this show!! I will never forget watching this show in the afternoons and a bunch of us wanting to go GHOST BUSTING!! This show was always one of our favorites, we would sit around and all of us telling each other ghost stories!!! That is one show I miss a lot. A few years ago I told my niece about this show and how it frightened me and my friends while watching this show. TAPS is ok , but I think it's not very interesting to watch (for me) because it usually deals with personal issues between the team members (BLAAA!) The LAST thing I want to watch is a life drama (ugh). KNow what I mean? 80% of Ghost hunters is dealing with Bryan (I think thats his name) and less than 2% was a ghost. Know what I mean?
Side by side Ghost hunters is not really as scary compared to this one. Scary but true, is actually fun too because we can imagine ourselves being RIGHT THERE!!! I am so happy this is now on SciFi!!!!! YEAH!!! biggrin.gif

I'm right there too, I absolutely love the show. I watched every single one with great anticipation. I feel and felt the same way about it being only 30 minutes long. With all the information that was available to the kids and staff I know they definatly could have made it an hour long show, dedicating each 20min portion to one story. I am also 35 years old, and LOVE all things paranormal. I am constantly looking through the guids for anything with ghost, paranormal, evil, scary haunted and any other words that may be in the title of a"scary" show. I ALSO think the show should be redone with fresh stories. You KNOW there are all sorts of places out there here in the U.S. alone to be investigated..right nowI have AT &T Uverse and I have the Chiller channel and they have it on, thank goodness, along with Scariest Places on Earth ANOTHER show that could have some fresh air brought back intio it. Again we have a lot of places that families could be sent to to investigate, but between you and me If they do do this, I hope they pickfamilies that will stick it out..I hate when they get sooo scared that they refuse to go on. I am sitting there yelling at them,HY DID U GO TO BEGIN WITH, your with family , you are going to be fine, unless you get locked in the dungeon by yourself with some mad author threatning you to do a clearing spell with candles, mirrors and chicken blood... LOL if you have seen the shows you will know exactly on which I am refering =))

#10 MuseTorchwood

MuseTorchwood

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:20 AM

man......i remember this show!
its awesome and i always watch the re-runs.....they should make some new episodes
*SceneQueen*

#11 MuseTorchwood

MuseTorchwood

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 10:20 AM

man......i remember this show!
its awesome and i always watch the re-runs.....they should make some new episodes
*SceneQueen*

#12 RogueKnite

RogueKnite

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:16 PM

Hello Everyone! I'm glad to see this show has (somewhat of) a fan base. I have 4 episodes of this show taped from 2002. After discovering this forum & a facebook group devoted to the show, I was inspired to rip & upload from what I have. I hope you all enjoy!
Spread the word!

http://bit.ly/nU0IUk
http://bit.ly/njgCgu
http://bit.ly/nXFLxR
http://bit.ly/mRmFuW
http://bit.ly/q6CSa1

#13 AngelShards

AngelShards

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:18 AM

Definitely miss this show. Brings me back to my childhood :) It totally scared that bageezes out of me! I want to watch it now that its getting closer to Hallowe'en.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users