Photo

It's Destination Truth NOT Destination BS!!!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Danelle

Danelle

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:30 PM

Okay I'll admit it I am a HUGE SciFi nerd and I am an avid reader of the SciFi forums pertaining to Ghost Hunters and Destination Truth, here's my input on the subject on the Ghost Hunters forums you b*tch about their evidence being fake (which I will agree some of their evidence is questionable). The problem I have is that many of the people who complain about that then come on Destination Truth forums and b*tch about Josh Gates never finding anything and when he does it's nothing much, well thats the risk you run when you don't want fake ****!! So I am forced to believe that wheather SciFi gives you what you want or not people are always going to b*tch. I realize that your allowed to think and say what you want but for the people who continually say they hate the show and come back week after week and say the latest episoode was stupid are dumb, if you don't like a show why on gods green earth do you tune in to watch it!! We know you don't like it so don't like it so dont post a million comments about how stupid it is!! Well there you go my two cents worth on the subject b*tch away!! Another thing sorry but for the people you say Josh is a wuss (I am not a huge fan or even a fan of the guy but he's alright) just because he says "What was that?" alot, I would really like to see some of the people on these forums go to the places he does where even if the Cryptiods don't exist there are still plenty of other things in the serverly isolated jungles that are incredibly dangerous and plus if one of the people in his team were to get hurt the countries they usually are in are not that well advanced and are miles away from decent ones!!!Lets put some of you people out there and see what you do!!

#2 MurderGirl

MurderGirl

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:16 PM

Lol..Amen to that. People here always complain about the show and even though no one cares on what they say lol. i only watch ghost hunters and Destination truth on SciFi. thats about it. the other shows..eh..not that interested in them. but anywho, on what Ghost Hunters do, i think its real, the fact that TOO many people in this world have experienced the "Paranormal"..(and it says theres Spirits in the Bible..so..how can i say no to that?)
and for Destination Truth, there's many things on earth we have yet to find out. new creatures are always being found out every week or every month. so who knows right?
Posted Image

Yes Im a Girl Dammit!

#3 crymsyn

crymsyn

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:03 PM

I always enjoy watching this show whether or not the find anything its just fun!
FOUR OUT OF FIVE OF THE VOICES IN MY HEAD SAY " GO FOR IT!"

Posted Image
Photo copyright livescifi.tv

#4 Solarstorm1972

Solarstorm1972

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:21 PM

I have a tendency to factor in the length of time given to each investigation. I'm guessing there's maybe a couple of days of research (interviews, etc.), maybe three dayd, four tops for actual field investigations (and I think I'm being generous), then, depending on what tests are done, a week to three weeks of tests (which are done while the next investigation is beginning).

Given that about of time, I would think that 99% of investigations will produce nothing significant. That last 1% will be a footprint that can't be explained.

Still, as I've said in other posts, there is almost no chance of me going to the locations Josh goes to, so it is fun to see another part of thr world.
"It's magic, we don't need to explain it."

"MONKEY WANTS MY BURGER!!!!"

"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam Savage, Mythbuster

City of Heroes Altoholics Anonymous member #12637763
"Stop me before I alt again!!!"

Myspace

MSN Spaces

#5 andronicus_11

andronicus_11

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:18 AM

I love Destination Truth and I think it is a really good show. Josh and his team are great and I look forward to a new adventure every week. I get one day off a week from working two jobs and the only thing I watch is Ghost Hunters and then Destination Truth, conveniently back to back thank you SciFi. To be able to watch a group of people set off into the far reaches of the globe, explore foreign cultures and customs, and try to rationalize the many myths and folklore out there is incredible. I would give anything to say I went searching for a Yeti at the base of Mount Everest. Or searching for a lost dinosaur in the middle of Africa. I wouldn't even care if I didn't find anything, its just the fact that I tried to do it. Even though I will probably never get to go on an adventure like that, at least I can enjoy watching Josh and his team cover the globe one destination at a time. I eagerly anticipate each episode and I am even already looking forward to season three.

I would also like to comment on the many posts complaining about the episodes not "finding anything". We are going to have face that from here on out all the problems that need to solved and mysteries answered are going to be hard. There are no more easy answers. No more cute formulas like E=MC2. The solutions and answers of our future are going to be 200 page equations, and require 25 years of felid research. To quote a famous person "We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." The true destination of truth is the journey.

#6 MurderGirl

MurderGirl

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 01:13 AM

yea, you guys are right. its just fun to watch the show. Josh is halarious sometimes and his crew members. when they start to get into these werid arguments and stuff, they always give you a chuckle. And your right Andronicus, it's awsome to have my 2 favorite shows back to back..Ghost Hunters and Destination Truth. it makes my Wensdays less-boring days. and it actually makes me look forward to Wensdays. Cant wait till next Wensday biggrin.gif
Posted Image

Yes Im a Girl Dammit!

#7 Pinkberry

Pinkberry

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:27 AM

QUOTE (Andronicus @ Mar 27 2008, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are no more easy answers. No more cute formulas like E=MC2. The solutions and answers of our future are going to be 200 page equations, and require 25 years of felid research.

Haha on what planet is E=MC^2 easy? Have you ever taken a physics/astronomy/calculus class? Einstein and Newton didnt just pull these answers randomly out of their a**es..just sayin they deserve more credit than a flippant comment like that.
Our days were numbered by nights on too many rooftops..they said were wasting our lives but at least we know that if we die, we lived with passion
When it all comes down to a sunrise on the East side, will you be there to carry home the remains of my wasted youth, this wasted time on you has left me shaking and waiting for something more

#8 andronicus_11

andronicus_11

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE (Pinkberry @ Mar 27 2008, 02:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha on what planet is E=MC^2 easy? Have you ever taken a physics/astronomy/calculus class? Einstein and Newton didnt just pull these answers randomly out of their a**es..just sayin they deserve more credit than a flippant comment like that.

Yes you are completely correct. The work that Einstein and Newton put into solving some of the most difficult problems is probably unmeasurable. These people dedicated their entire lives to this and we would not be were we are without them. I did not mean to disrespect Einstein's work.
What I was trying to say was what has happened since all the hard work went into these solutions. For example, it is not hard to find someone somewhere either in a mall, coffee shop, or just walking down the street with a shirt on with some famous equation like E=MC^2 on it. It would be very likely that the person wearing the shirt could not even tell you what the letters of the equation stand for more or less explain why it was important. This disturbs me a lot. If I am going to wear a formula across my chest I am going to be darn sure I can explain it and why I think it is important enough to turn myself into a human billboard for it. I have talked to a couple of these people and when I ask them to explain the E=MC^2 the answer usually goes something like this: "A long time ago some really super smart guy named Einstein came up with this formula and it helped solve a lot of stuff."

The equation that Einstein worked so hard on and put all this complex abstract thought and meaning into came out to be a very elegant solution. This is testament to his genius. Today it is also considered very marketable. E=MC^2 is only a couple of symbols long, those symbols are easy to read letters and only one number. Because so many people fail to realize how much hard work went into this equation and all they see is the solution this has lead to a large amount of people thinking that complex hard problems end in cute four or five symbols that you can print on a shirt. You could put one of those ugly calculus problems on a shirt, it would probably take both front and back, but you might risk liquifying some peoples brains on contact. Personally I think calculus problems look pretty, but that is just me.

In summary, it seems that a large growing number of people no longer value hard work. Because previous hard work has been degraded into cheap marketing antics these same people also believe that hard problems will have simple and easy-to-come-by answers. In the case of Destination Truth, I wonder if these people complaining about the team not finding anything really expect anybody to just walk into a forest with their roommates camcorder and capture definitive proof of bigfoot. If these creatures do exist and have not yet been found, it is going to take a lot of really hard work to capture evidence about them. So one of the things I love most about Destination Truth is that they are at least trying to find something. That they are willing to put in the hard work to begin the attempt to understand the myths and folklore of so many different cultures that have gone unanswered for so long.

Sorry for the long drawn out reply, but hopefully this made a little more sense.

#9 Pinkberry

Pinkberry

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (Andronicus @ Mar 28 2008, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes you are completely correct. ....
Sorry for the long drawn out reply, but hopefully this made a little more sense.

Phew i shortened to save some space..

Ahh I misunderstood you. I get sensitive about those subjects since Im currently taking physics and have taken the above classes and they werent/arent exactly easy..it gets on my nerves when people spout off how people go "Ohh Einstein he just figured stuff out..if he didnt someone else would of..blah blah"..Which is what I thought you meant. Obviously, I was wrong so my mistake smile.gif
Our days were numbered by nights on too many rooftops..they said were wasting our lives but at least we know that if we die, we lived with passion
When it all comes down to a sunrise on the East side, will you be there to carry home the remains of my wasted youth, this wasted time on you has left me shaking and waiting for something more

#10 lillyjay2008

lillyjay2008

Time Lord

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6,420 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (Andronicus @ Mar 28 2008, 02:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes you are completely correct. The work that Einstein and Newton put into solving some of the most difficult problems is probably unmeasurable. These people dedicated their entire lives to this and we would not be were we are without them. I did not mean to disrespect Einstein's work.
What I was trying to say was what has happened since all the hard work went into these solutions. For example, it is not hard to find someone somewhere either in a mall, coffee shop, or just walking down the street with a shirt on with some famous equation like E=MC^2 on it. It would be very likely that the person wearing the shirt could not even tell you what the letters of the equation stand for more or less explain why it was important. This disturbs me a lot. If I am going to wear a formula across my chest I am going to be darn sure I can explain it and why I think it is important enough to turn myself into a human billboard for it. I have talked to a couple of these people and when I ask them to explain the E=MC^2 the answer usually goes something like this: "A long time ago some really super smart guy named Einstein came up with this formula and it helped solve a lot of stuff."

The equation that Einstein worked so hard on and put all this complex abstract thought and meaning into came out to be a very elegant solution. This is testament to his genius. Today it is also considered very marketable. E=MC^2 is only a couple of symbols long, those symbols are easy to read letters and only one number. Because so many people fail to realize how much hard work went into this equation and all they see is the solution this has lead to a large amount of people thinking that complex hard problems end in cute four or five symbols that you can print on a shirt. You could put one of those ugly calculus problems on a shirt, it would probably take both front and back, but you might risk liquifying some peoples brains on contact. Personally I think calculus problems look pretty, but that is just me.

In summary, it seems that a large growing number of people no longer value hard work. Because previous hard work has been degraded into cheap marketing antics these same people also believe that hard problems will have simple and easy-to-come-by answers. In the case of Destination Truth, I wonder if these people complaining about the team not finding anything really expect anybody to just walk into a forest with their roommates camcorder and capture definitive proof of bigfoot. If these creatures do exist and have not yet been found, it is going to take a lot of really hard work to capture evidence about them. So one of the things I love most about Destination Truth is that they are at least trying to find something. That they are willing to put in the hard work to begin the attempt to understand the myths and folklore of so many different cultures that have gone unanswered for so long.

You Smart people scare Me! LOL!
Great post thanks!!

Posted Image

JOSH GATES

'Stranded'
wednesday 10pm /9pm central

Lets See, Lock a bunch of Newbie Ghost Hunters in a Dark Haunted Building for five days and nights, miles from anybody,! No Crew , Give them the cameras and tools to investigate, Just leave them,

'STRANDED'

Oh Hell Yeah, I can SOOOO do that. lol

Posted Image

#11 HeidiSaily

HeidiSaily

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 02:44 PM

I wish people would understand the concept that if you want a reality show based around the paranormal that you don't want stuff to be fake... am I correct? When it comes to Destination Truth (I adore and love the show and think Josh is freaking crazy) I feel the show is awesome and I don't expect an abundance of evidence to prove the existence of all these creatures Josh and his gang are hunting because it would be quite questionable if evidence is found every darn time. The same thing for Ghost Hunters... thank God they don't find something all the time because it's obvious that the paranormal doesn't perform on cue and many places are haunted only by the figment of someone's imagination. I enjoy the fact that Josh, even Jay and Grant, go out there to 'see' if something is really there and they themselves don't expect a capture every time. Heck I'm watching Destination Truth right now and still enjoy it though I know they don't find any ample evidence that the creature they are hunting actually exists. I respect what these people do and wish I could go out there with them. It takes big 'nads' to go out there all the time knowing they may never find anything but they are never disappointed because they have the excitement of the hunt. And, these are television shows, they are there for our entertainment. Just quit complaining and just enjoy these wonderful shows. I am currently patiently waiting Destination's return tomorrow night and the show never disappoints!!!

#12 davexnet

davexnet

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:40 PM

I wish people would understand the concept that if you want a reality show based around the paranormal that you don't want stuff to be fake... am I correct? When it comes to Destination Truth (I adore and love the show and think Josh is freaking crazy) I feel the show is awesome and I don't expect an abundance of evidence to prove the existence of all these creatures Josh and his gang are hunting because it would be quite questionable if evidence is found every darn time. The same thing for Ghost Hunters... thank God they don't find something all the time because it's obvious that the paranormal doesn't perform on cue and many places are haunted only by the figment of someone's imagination. I enjoy the fact that Josh, even Jay and Grant, go out there to 'see' if something is really there and they themselves don't expect a capture every time. Heck I'm watching Destination Truth right now and still enjoy it though I know they don't find any ample evidence that the creature they are hunting actually exists. I respect what these people do and wish I could go out there with them. It takes big 'nads' to go out there all the time knowing they may never find anything but they are never disappointed because they have the excitement of the hunt. And, these are television shows, they are there for our entertainment. Just quit complaining and just enjoy these wonderful shows. I am currently patiently waiting Destination's return tomorrow night and the show never disappoints!!!

This is just cheap, cynical programming by SyFy - same as Ghost Hunters.
These shows are presented as pseudo-documentaries as if they're actually doing real investigative stuff.
Are you kidding me? They're just crappy actors going through the motions, giving them a vehicle to play
their advertising - that's all.
If you really think either of these shows are doing any real investigation into the paranormal,
the joke is on you.

#13 HotBrown

HotBrown

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 314 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

These shows are presented as pseudo-documentaries as if they're actually doing real investigative stuff.
Are you kidding me? They're just crappy actors going through the motions, giving them a vehicle to play
If you really think either of these shows are doing any real investigation into the paranormal,
the joke is on you.

How anyone falls for this scam is beyond me.

#14 Johnmclaine

Johnmclaine

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

You Smart people scare Me! Posted Image LOL!
Great post thanks!!

I have tired head.

#15 HotBrown

HotBrown

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 314 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:02 AM

I find MonsterQuest on the History Channel to be much better show. The best part of the show is the lack of idiot host.

#16 Dantos

Dantos

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:08 PM

the joke is on you.

I agree 100%..
This stuff is sometimes kinda fun to watch, but it's just scripted acting.
I NEVER watch Ghost Hunters because I'm completely convinced it's fake, and the presence of Jason and Grant on almost every episode of Destination Truth destroys any credibility the show has, if it's meant to be taken as factual.

I really can't believe I just spent 20-30 minutes watching Josh and the "team" searching for a mermaid..LOL!
Although I do believe the paranormal exists through personal experiences, I don't believe ANY of the flimsy evidence captured by either Josh's team, or Jason and Grant is authentic by any means.

It's cheap entertainment (barely), but that's all it is.
Maybe if I were five years old I would believe, but even then I think I would question it.

It's not a terrible show, (like GH), but given the subject content and the format, I think it would be better suited for saturday mornings, airing for kids along with cartoons.
Why do ghosts shiver and moan?
It's drafty under that sheet.

#17 Dantos

Dantos

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:12 AM

How anyone falls for this scam is beyond me.

I agree, people are beyond gullible.
Why do ghosts shiver and moan?
It's drafty under that sheet.

#18 seakist

seakist

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:00 PM

[quote name='Dantos' date='Mar 24 2010, 11:08 PM' post='6738878']
I agree 100%..
This stuff is sometimes kinda fun to watch, but it's just scripted acting.

I really can't believe I just spent 20-30 minutes watching Josh and the "team" searching for a mermaid..LOL!
Although I do believe the paranormal exists through personal experiences, I don't believe ANY of the flimsy evidence captured by either Josh's team, or Jason and Grant is authentic by any means.

Okay Dante, are you telling us that you didn't suspend disbelief, not even for ten seconds, and marvel at the possibility of a mermaid in the harbor? not even for a second??? Did you not at least enjoy seeing the ruins of Cesaria, the beautiful sunset, the gorgeous jellyfish moving underwater, the gorgeous sea caves (which remind me of the blue caves of Zakynthos Greece, one of my favorite places) and all the humor on the mermaid show?

Either Josh has a Tell (noticed last fall, when something unscripted happens which shakes his confidence, Josh reaches up and rubs the top of his head to comfort himself, almost always with his left hand - watch for it) or as an actor with dramatic training Josh decided to add a Tell ito his character in the episodes to give the sequences more an air of authenticity. Who can tell with an actor? You will see him rubbing his head twice during the time when something is fooling with his backpack while he's standing and then again after Ryder tells him the POV has been turned off.

#19 DecayingAngel

DecayingAngel

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 08:35 AM

I think the early seasons of DT were more raw and real. Just watch some from Season 1 and you'll see what I mean.

IMO SyFy stepped in and reworked the show, integrating some of it with GH. I believe they were trying to boost audience numbers. The good: it did. The bad: DT has lost that "edge" and having known hoaxers looking over the evidence instead of real experts in the fields of video and audio (and who have nothing to do with the paranormal) makes me very uneasy. I watched DT BECAUSE it wasn't GH. I still watch it but now feel that the appearance of anyone from GH, or even a "guest star" from another show, really detracts and brings into question any evidence. Once SyFy got people watching DT, then they should have dropped this crossover thing.

To call Jason, Grant, Steve and Tango experts of anything is laughable. Did anyone see the show where actual scientists (we're talking PhD researchers) took on Eastern State and did what amounted to a debunking of the entire building? They also produced a new theory as to what causes paranormal experiences that bears further investigation, but not by anyone like TAPS.

Also, watching GH and DT back to back--the only thing that does is show how much more exciting and riveting DT is compared to the absolute boredom of TAPS and crew. I wish another channel had picked up DT, like NatGeo or the Travel Channel. But then the latter has Ghost Adventures, so there would be a chance of them appearing on the show.

Keep DT pure, simple and honest. It is the only show of the genre right now where you really feel you're being taken along for the ride-as opposed to being taken for a ride, if you know what I mean.

#20 Eddieking123

Eddieking123

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:02 PM

I just watched the episode about the mermaid in Israel.
The show have managed to do what 4000 years couldn't - Change the capitol is Israel from Jerusalem to Tel Aviv!

When the show narrator says that they landed in Tel Aviv, THE CAPITOL OF ISRAEL, maybe it's time for him to stop looking for fairy tales and try to locate his own intellect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users