130 replies to this topic

#41 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:55 PM

Ghost Hunters is so boring now. They have no energy or enthusiasm. It seems they can only afford 4 cameras. From what I understand the camera men accompanying them must keep the cameras on them at all times. I seldom see the Ghost Hunters themselves carrying cameras any more. No wonder they hardly ever get anything.

Enthusiasm is lacking for sure, or something...anyone else notice in Roller Ghoster how, for a while, Adam was just walking around with his hands in his jacket pockets, not a piece of equipment in sight for him.

Having an open mind is a two-way street

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary...and those who do not.

#42 HarmonysHouse

HarmonysHouse

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

I find myself disagreeing with a lot of what is said and here's why.

Ghost Hunters...I like them because they are authentic. very professional and have a code of ethics... When in doubt, throw it out. They always look to debunk everything and in many cases they debunk just about everything. They are not quick to call any place haunted. Fact is, I actually like the fact that they have shows where they don't find anything. I think that lends to their legitimacy.
As for the fact that they have such a large crew... I like it. When they do small places like a private home, there is usually only 4 people and I think that's fine. It lets them split in groups of 2 and when 1 team is in the house, the other is usually not. Helps to avoid contamination.
Some of the places they do are huge and way too much to investigate properly with only 3 or 4 people. It doesn't bother me at all they have a film crew. I think their film crew is just a couple of camera guys anyways.

Ghost Adventures - I find the show pretty entertaining to watch but I have doubts on how legitimate they really are. Every show i've ever seen, they find something and doesn't seem that they throw anything out. 90% of what they call evp's, I can't even begin to make out a voice much less what is being said. That and they constantly say they are in cold spots, being touched, hearing stuff..... did you hear that? yea... did you hear that? yea.... I swear to God something just touched me... something touched me too!... And every place they investigate "Is Haunted" Entertaining for sure but is it "all" real... don't think so. That and they come up with some crazy equipment that speaks the evp? Don't buy it.

Do I believe in ghosts? Absolutely! Do i believe that ghosts make themselves known every time i walk in a building with a microphone, evp machine or other equipment, absolutely not.

I like both shows and watch them all the time but I find Ghost Hunters more credible, more authentic. I can't speak to Paranormal State because i don't watch that show.

Just my opinion of course :)

I watch television to be entertained. When I want to be informed, I'll go to National Geographic, The BBC, CNN, some docs on the History Channel.

But if there's the argument over "who's more authentic hunting ghosts" - I don't really care. Because in the wash, they all come out about the same. When I watch a program, I want to be drawn in, be with the main characters, in the moment. Jump when they jump, "ooh and "aah" over inexplicable findings - and that's Ghost Adventures.

I'm a latecomer to all of these types of shows. I'd heard of Ghost Hunters, and recently saw a few episodes, then remembered, I'd seen quite a few episodes 3 years ago. The fact that it made no impression, speaks for itself. Frankly, I don't know how they're still on the air with competition such as the GAC.

In each episode of GH, whatever the investigators hear, we don't. There's nothing more frustrating to the watcher then "ssshhh! DID YOU HEAR THAT?" Um, no, I didn't. But perhaps I'll find out...at the end of the show, and by that time, I forgot.

Another irritating quality about the show, is, they seem to forget, we as the audience have been with them, while they are having the experience - because they stop, and recount it to the camera, minutes later.

Example: GH investigator on location to a possible ghost: "OK, if you're there knock on the count of 3..1, 2, 2 1/2...3!" (knock happens) lots of surprise, gasps.

Then, a minute later, to camera: "so we were investigating in the blah-blah room, and I said, 'if you're there, knock on the count of 3, 1...2... 2 1/2'... "....Are you kidding me? We SAW it already. Are you not aware there's a camera following you around? Not only that, but why do I want to be taken out of the moment for the investigator to be interviewed as they recount every little experience that happens, before we can move on?

I don't care whose better equipment "debunks" who, and who's "really serious". It's entertainment. And GAC entertains me immensely. It's engaging, it moves, it's in no way passive, like GH is. You get to know Zak, Nick and Aaron..their quirks, their history..I find myself jonesing for episodes to the point where I've watched them 4 and 5 times. With GH, it's like watching paint dry.

But for those who want to be "serious" about their ghosts, I guess that's where GH has its place. FYI, I wasn't even interested in this subject UNTIL Ghost Adventures came along. And I think the GAC are as serious about their ghost hunting as any television show can be.

#43 eagle020

eagle020

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:23 AM

Another irritating quality about the show, is, they seem to forget, we as the audience have been with them, while they are having the experience - because they stop, and recount it to the camera, minutes later.

This used to be a big irritation to me. Along with GAC insisting on replaying every EVP or video they think may mean something 3 or 4 times in a row.

But after years of watching these shows, it's clear to me that it's deliberate. And done to fill time with something other than staring at the backs of people peering into dark places. In any given investigation, they're lucky if they get 10 minutes of footage that might be marginally interesting to an audience. So recounting in camera interviews and replaying things repeatedly are just ways to break the monotony and kill some air time.
Modern life is a race between engineers striving to build a bigger and better idiot-proof
world, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#44 LadySciFi

LadySciFi

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,434 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:05 AM

I have watched all of these shows and find that it is extremely hard to catch anything on short notice. Usually "events" don't happen on a daily basis. So I can't always believe these shows get their evidence so freely as they say they do. Especially the ones like Ghost Hunters that refuse to proboke the entities.

Remember when Ghost Hunters would bring out all of this equipment. Cameras, recorders, all kinds of ghosty toys. Now it is all about how little they can get by to make an episode. That show should have been cancelled years ago, or revamp by people who really give a dammn.

I would like to see a real study, taken years to make and have a show or a special made of their findings. Because as it stands now, people aren't as gullible about ghost hunting as they are today.

Posted Image Posted Image

#45 justme777

justme777

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:44 PM

my problem with all the shows is that they are NOT HELPING the
poor lost Souls. They have ample evidence (esp. Ghost Hunters) and then just
leave without helping. They even ask "Do you want help?" and the spirit says
"Yes" and that's it ! They don't help them! i'm guessing they have to be politically
correct and have to be all scientific so they won't do anything spiritual and
help the poor people. Paranormal kind of helps sometimes. The guys on Ghost
Adventurers yell too much, i'm tired of the yelling, the people are dead, not
deaf.
Posted Image

#46 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:07 PM

They don't help them! i'm guessing they have to be politically
help the poor people.

Maybe if they were a bit more scientific they could truly ascertain whether or not there was anything there rather than just jumping to conclusions over a sound or fabricating a flashlight conversation.

Having an open mind is a two-way street

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary...and those who do not.

#47 rbredmond

rbredmond

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:31 PM

my problem with all the shows is that they are NOT HELPING the
poor lost Souls. They have ample evidence (esp. Ghost Hunters) and then just
leave without helping. They even ask "Do you want help?" and the spirit says
"Yes" and that's it ! They don't help them! i'm guessing they have to be politically
help the poor people. Paranormal kind of helps sometimes. The guys on Ghost
Adventurers yell too much, i'm tired of the yelling, the people are dead, not
deaf. Posted Image

You're assuming all they're doing is aired. IF...they help, it's after the cameras are turned off, otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to guarantee, every charlatan out there would be saying they could help rid areas of paranormal activity by doing thus and such that they saw GH or whomever do on tv.

You're also assuming all spirits CAN be helped. Some can NOT because they're in an area or have made choices where they have to figure their own way out.

#48 rbredmond

rbredmond

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

Maybe if they were a bit more scientific they could truly ascertain whether or not there was anything there rather than just jumping to conclusions over a sound or fabricating a flashlight conversation.

Scientific!?! About the paranormal when the huge bulk of scientists deny it exists? How would YOU suggest any paranormal investigator could be scientific enough to please even you?

There are NO proven scientific means by which this investigating can be done. It's ALL guesses on what equipment and means work, and even then, skeptics shoot down everything they find.

Joe Nickells was on the Paranormal Investigation show where Zak pits two teams against one another. Something happened that couldn't be explained. Zak asked Joe to explain it. Joe said he couldn't, but he wouldn't admit there was the slightest way it could be paranormal. To him, there had to be a logical explanation, but when the ball was in his court, he was lacking in that logical explanation. pfffttt

Blind skeptics are as worthless as blind believers are.

#49 rbredmond

rbredmond

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

I have watched all of these shows and find that it is extremely hard to catch anything on short notice. Usually "events" don't happen on a daily basis. So I can't always believe these shows get their evidence so freely as they say they do. Especially the ones like Ghost Hunters that refuse to proboke the entities.

Remember when Ghost Hunters would bring out all of this equipment. Cameras, recorders, all kinds of ghosty toys. Now it is all about how little they can get by to make an episode. That show should have been cancelled years ago, or revamp by people who really give a dammn.

I would like to see a real study, taken years to make and have a show or a special made of their findings. Because as it stands now, people aren't as gullible about ghost hunting as they are today.

Ghost Hunters refuses to provoke spirits? Since when?

And they're not bringing out all the equipment, cameras, recorders, ghosty toys? Guess you're missing the beginning where they show where everything is set up.

And as for "new" ghosty toys, guess you've missed them using the new EMF pumps.

Just like paranormal activity can't be found every day, new "ghosty toys" aren't invented every day either.

#50 rbredmond

rbredmond

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:41 PM

I watch television to be entertained. When I want to be informed, I'll go to National Geographic, The BBC, CNN, some docs on the History Channel.

But if there's the argument over "who's more authentic hunting ghosts" - I don't really care. Because in the wash, they all come out about the same. When I watch a program, I want to be drawn in, be with the main characters, in the moment. Jump when they jump, "ooh and "aah" over inexplicable findings - and that's Ghost Adventures.

I'm a latecomer to all of these types of shows. I'd heard of Ghost Hunters, and recently saw a few episodes, then remembered, I'd seen quite a few episodes 3 years ago. The fact that it made no impression, speaks for itself. Frankly, I don't know how they're still on the air with competition such as the GAC.

In each episode of GH, whatever the investigators hear, we don't. There's nothing more frustrating to the watcher then "ssshhh! DID YOU HEAR THAT?" Um, no, I didn't. But perhaps I'll find out...at the end of the show, and by that time, I forgot.

Example: GH investigator on location to a possible ghost: "OK, if you're there knock on the count of 3..1, 2, 2 1/2...3!" (knock happens) lots of surprise, gasps.

Then, a minute later, to camera: "so we were investigating in the blah-blah room, and I said, 'if you're there, knock on the count of 3, 1...2... 2 1/2'... "....Are you kidding me? We SAW it already. Are you not aware there's a camera following you around? Not only that, but why do I want to be taken out of the moment for the investigator to be interviewed as they recount every little experience that happens, before we can move on?

I don't care whose better equipment "debunks" who, and who's "really serious". It's entertainment. And GAC entertains me immensely. It's engaging, it moves, it's in no way passive, like GH is. You get to know Zak, Nick and Aaron..their quirks, their history..I find myself jonesing for episodes to the point where I've watched them 4 and 5 times. With GH, it's like watching paint dry.

But for those who want to be "serious" about their ghosts, I guess that's where GH has its place. FYI, I wasn't even interested in this subject UNTIL Ghost Adventures came along. And I think the GAC are as serious about their ghost hunting as any television show can be.

Sounds like you need to do a bit of paranormal investigating yourself, because much of what you're complaining about is a HUGE part of paranormal investigating.

As for GAC, they spend so much time talking to towns people, usually about things not involved in the show, talking and joking over a meal, and then there was the time Zak ran around Salem asking if everyone was a witch, including a dog on a leash. They're ludicrous, and it wastes time that I'd rather see in an actual investigation.

#51 rbredmond

rbredmond

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

Many of the complaints I'm seeing here have little to nothing to do with the show or even with paranormal investigating in general. The complaints have to do with spoiled young people expecting instant results when they want them, the way they want them.

You've gotten so use to instant foods and instant results, you expect them in the paranormal field and whine when you don't get them.

The paranormal doesn't work on your schedule or in your fashion folks. Grow up and get use to it!

#52 blackcatbone

blackcatbone

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 11:45 PM

Many of the complaints I'm seeing here have little to nothing to do with the show or even with paranormal investigating in general. The complaints have to do with spoiled young people expecting instant results when they want them, the way they want them.

You've gotten so use to instant foods and instant results, you expect them in the paranormal field and whine when you don't get them.

The paranormal doesn't work on your schedule or in your fashion folks. Grow up and get use to it!

I want to see a full bodied apparition and I want to see it NOW.

#53 LadySciFi

LadySciFi

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,434 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:05 AM

Ghost Hunters refuses to provoke spirits? Since when?

And they're not bringing out all the equipment, cameras, recorders, ghosty toys? Guess you're missing the beginning where they show where everything is set up.

And as for "new" ghosty toys, guess you've missed them using the new EMF pumps.

Just like paranormal activity can't be found every day, new "ghosty toys" aren't invented every day either.

I was comparing the set up of GH from then and now. They have scaled down their equipment considerably.

Why thank you. :lol:

Normally when one watches a ghost hunting show, one wants to see ghosts. Call me spoiled, but what can I say. I guess I am asking for too much :lol: ;)

Posted Image Posted Image

#54 eagle020

eagle020

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

Normally when one watches a ghost hunting show, one wants to see ghosts. Call me spoiled, but what can I say. I guess I am asking for too much :lol: ;)

Ghosts?

On a ghost hunting show?

Be ye daft, woman?
Modern life is a race between engineers striving to build a bigger and better idiot-proof
world, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#55 rbredmond

rbredmond

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 493 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

I was comparing the set up of GH from then and now. They have scaled down their equipment considerably.

As has been said dozens of times on other threads here, Ghost Hunters is about paranormal investigating. It chronicles the ways and means one can do it. If it were about finding ghosts, it might be named Ghost Finding, but its not.

Now I'm unsubscribing from this forum altogether because it's become nothing more than a whine-fest for the inexperienced and impatient.

#56 Grimulkin

Grimulkin

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:21 PM

I think that all of these shows are interesting and entertaining.
But, let's analyze the pros and cons of each production.
What do they do well? What needs improvement?
My take on each:
Ghosthunters: Pros - Very strong investigation skills, very thorough, very composed. Very professional, very knowledgeable. I love the fact they really do try to debunk the claims at times. I really like the enthusiasm that they always seem to carry. And they have seemed to put their skills to the test time and time again, and have truly uncovered some remarkable evidence over the years. More than any group I have ever seen. I think they need to stick with Jason, Grant, and Tango as the investigators...and leave steve to the analysis.
Ghosthunters: Cons - Too many people on the investigative team is really starting to hurt them in my opinion. Every episode there is someone new, and then they're gone, and then they may show up 5 episodes later, and then back again....does this annoy anyone else? Also, they need to scale back on some of the production aspects in order to make it better. Less background music, smaller team, less production...because it creates confusion, and I can't even see or hear what they do because of all the racket. Sometimes less is more...anybody else agree?
Paranormal State: Pros - Strong sense of helping people, ...they go WAY out of their way to make people feel better even if it at times it seems fabricated. Episodes can be very creepy at times. I like that fact that they do ALOT of historical research and connect the dots for us that way.
Paranormal State: Cons - EVIDENCE. They rely alot on mediums and psychics, and the the stuff they throw out at times is just NOT credible, and at times it's downright unbelievable. Rarely do they get any hard evidence of anything.
Ghost Adventures: Pros - Production! These guys are very stealthy....no high-tech gadgets, just camcorder and a mic. I love the fact that they don't have this giant production crew hanging around all the time, and they also, don't precede to know everything...they then let the experts look at the evidence to prove or disprove....pretty nice concept there. Also, they are not AFRAID to let their guard down, and let us know if they are frickin' scared or not! Looking very forward to the Travel Channel in the fall to see the new show.
Ghost Adventures: Cons - They seem inexpererienced and have yet to be tested on what kind of evidence they can actually provide over an extended period of time, so I guess well see what happens in the long run...but lots of promise.

Any thoughts?

I loved GH when it began and hated GA; how it's the other way around. GA is not as annoying as it used to be, and I love their approach to new gadgets and ways of investigating. GH is stuck is 2006 with the same dialogue and same equipment. GHI is a snore. I watched GH investigate the Hales Dam last night and I couldn't believe what I saw. Everybody wandering around saying: did you hear that, did you see that...well, no, the music was too loud and you don't carry a camera. Funny how the camera crew never catches anything. I love it when GA stops and listens to the EVPs in real time. If it's fake, at least it's a more interesting fake.

#57 Unicorn0

Unicorn0

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

Had to chime in today. At the start of the show it really bother me how excited they were to go to Hale. I thought, "Didn't GAC go there first?". And if I remembered right, I believe GAC was called in by a local investigative group. GH following where ever GAC goes is getting annoying.

Best Ghost Movie: The Haunting (1963)

#58 Deepvoid

Deepvoid

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:30 PM

How many locations did GAC attended AFTER GH investigated? Quite a few.

There are bound to investigate the same locations at one point or another. No big fuss.

#59 trustuff

trustuff

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:26 PM

I was excited that they were going to do an investigation at Hales Bar Dam, but very disappointed in the show. They dropped the ball on this one and missed what could have been the best show they ever did.

Spend 45.00 and do your own overnight investigation there, or just go on the ghost tour and you will understand.
Fear is much like ignorance, both are based upon the unknown.

#60 Briock

Briock

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 03:51 AM

I think that all of these shows are interesting and entertaining.
But, let's analyze the pros and cons of each production.
What do they do well? What needs improvement?
My take on each:
Ghosthunters: Pros - Very strong investigation skills, very thorough, very composed. Very professional, very knowledgeable. I love the fact they really do try to debunk the claims at times. I really like the enthusiasm that they always seem to carry. And they have seemed to put their skills to the test time and time again, and have truly uncovered some remarkable evidence over the years. More than any group I have ever seen. I think they need to stick with Jason, Grant, and Tango as the investigators...and leave steve to the analysis.
Ghosthunters: Cons - Too many people on the investigative team is really starting to hurt them in my opinion. Every episode there is someone new, and then they're gone, and then they may show up 5 episodes later, and then back again....does this annoy anyone else? Also, they need to scale back on some of the production aspects in order to make it better. Less background music, smaller team, less production...because it creates confusion, and I can't even see or hear what they do because of all the racket. Sometimes less is more...anybody else agree?
Paranormal State: Pros - Strong sense of helping people, ...they go WAY out of their way to make people feel better even if it at times it seems fabricated. Episodes can be very creepy at times. I like that fact that they do ALOT of historical research and connect the dots for us that way.
Paranormal State: Cons - EVIDENCE. They rely alot on mediums and psychics, and the the stuff they throw out at times is just NOT credible, and at times it's downright unbelievable. Rarely do they get any hard evidence of anything.
Ghost Adventures: Pros - Production! These guys are very stealthy....no high-tech gadgets, just camcorder and a mic. I love the fact that they don't have this giant production crew hanging around all the time, and they also, don't precede to know everything...they then let the experts look at the evidence to prove or disprove....pretty nice concept there. Also, they are not AFRAID to let their guard down, and let us know if they are frickin' scared or not! Looking very forward to the Travel Channel in the fall to see the new show.
Ghost Adventures: Cons - They seem inexpererienced and have yet to be tested on what kind of evidence they can actually provide over an extended period of time, so I guess well see what happens in the long run...but lots of promise.

Any thoughts?

You do know that Paranormal State was exposed as a complete fraud. A woman called them in because she and her family feel their house is haunted. She recorded everything they did. The producer calling repeatedly to get all the specific information. The advance crew coming out to scope it out. The producer calling to give Chip Coffey all the needed information (on the shop they always claimed he knew nothing in advance). She said the team had nothing at all to do with the University of Pennsylvania. The team was claiming to see things that weren't there, and making sounds themselves. They would claim to hear and see the exact things the woman told the producer though she says they never really did. Guess Ryan was disliked by everyone as well, including the client who said he was so into himself and in no way sincere. This woman was so angry she put it all online. Shortly thereafter it was announced that Ryan was exhausted from doing the show and it was suddenly cancelled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users