Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

Online Viewers Must Wait

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Online Episodes (48 member(s) have cast votes)

Should episodes be made available online the day after they are played on TV?

1. YES (45 votes [93.75%])

Percentage of vote: 93.75%

2. NO (3 votes [6.25%])

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 onlineView

onlineView

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 03:55 PM

In the past, folks who wanted to watch BSG online could view it at SciFi.com, with episodes appearing online the day after they aired on t.v. I Loved It!! Now, they are making online viewers wait (according to hulu.com, it will be an 8 day wait after each episode). WTF? Anyone got a clue about why they changed?

#2 RubyWinters

RubyWinters

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (onlineView @ May 19 2008, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the past, folks who wanted to watch BSG online could view it at SciFi.com, with episodes appearing online the day after they aired on t.v. I Loved It!! Now, they are making online viewers wait (according to hulu.com, it will be an 8 day wait after each episode). WTF? Anyone got a clue about why they changed?

i miss it because my ability to get some good screen caps depended upon its being up

Posted Image

One pill makes you stronger. --------------- One pill makes you tall
And the ones that hubby gives you don't do anything at all
And if you go chasing Cylons And you know you're going to fall
Tell 'em a chain-smoking Doctor Has given you the call

#3 VonPenguin

VonPenguin

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:07 PM

My guess would be that they want to “encourage” fans to watch it when it’s on to bump ratings.

#4 AceRimmer2007

AceRimmer2007

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:18 PM

QUOTE (VonPenguin @ May 19 2008, 03:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My guess would be that they want to "encourage" fans to watch it when it's on to bump ratings.

You're probably right but that's rather silly of them. It's like the music industry years ago, pulling the covers up over its eyes and trying to wish the internet away.

It's 2008. Who watches anything in its broadcast timeslot any more? Even if I'm home I still don't watch it live because I'd rather wait an hour and zip through the commercials.
Before there was frack, there was smeg.

#5 graill

graill

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:19 PM

ya, burn the **** that made the 8 day decision. comcast went out just as the show aired so now i am frakked until they post it. ignorant slobs.

#6 VonPenguin

VonPenguin

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (AceRimmer2007 @ May 19 2008, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're probably right but that's rather silly of them. It's like the music industry years ago, pulling the covers up over its eyes and trying to wish the internet away.

It's 2008. Who watches anything in its broadcast timeslot any more? Even if I'm home I still don't watch it live because I'd rather wait an hour and zip through the commercials.

I do the same thing. If they were smart they'd give up on ads as their primary source of profit and just focus on DVD sales and cable subscriptions or something.

#7 genxer_4

genxer_4

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE (VonPenguin @ May 19 2008, 05:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I do the same thing. If they were smart they'd give up on ads as their primary source of profit and just focus on DVD sales and cable subscriptions or something.

My guess is the Scotch ain't all gone yet. We are just all Pavlov's dogs. They get us used to something, we come to the bowl when the bell rings and now nothing is there. It is called interval training. So we are all suckers coming to the site, checking out the TV channel, trying to download it from amazon or apple, posting on the forum. They get the cash and the laughs. Loddy frickn' da.
Posted Image

COS: Forgive those who have sinned against you (It might have been me).

#8 AceRimmer2007

AceRimmer2007

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (VonPenguin @ May 19 2008, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know if that will happen anytime soon. Honestly I don't know anything about running a TV network but I do know that this move might as well be an ad for torrent clients.

For every one of us there are probably five who still think of TV as a thing that's "on when it's on". Maybe even more. But I'm also willing to bet that our one adds up to a fairly large number in the end, and that's a number they're not reaching. They seem to know that, which prompted the poll they posted a while back which basically asked, "How can we get you to stay home at 10 on Friday and tune in?"

Well, you can't. Some percent of the viewing population is going to watch TV on their own terms and that's just the way it is. What you can do is come up with some kind of mutually beneficial relationship which takes that fact into account.

I don't know how much the iTunes sales brought in but I've got a shiny nickel here who says it was a bigger number than zero, whereas zero is all they get from a torrent. Anyone who doesn't pony up the cash to install the technology and infrastructure to sell their own content at a couple bucks a pop is missing the boat. iTunes proved that if you offer people what they want at a reasonable price, a lot of people will buy it even if they can scour the net and maybe find it for free. People gladly pay a few bucks for convenience. I take a toll road in the morning because it shaves 10 minutes off my commute. Same thing applies here. I'll give you two bucks if in exchange I can (nearly) instantly get what I want when I want it.

Get with the times, Skiffy.

#9 frakkedinmi

frakkedinmi

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:31 PM

Don't you get it. It's their "upgraded" plan. It' just done to make things "better" for us.

#10 nebariscaper

nebariscaper

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:48 PM

While I am among those who wish Sci Fi did not decide on an 8 day wait, I suppose they would want more people watching the channel. On-line is OK but most of their budget comes from advertisers who are paying for eyeballs on television.

http://www.buzzymult....com/smart.html

#11 nebariscaper

nebariscaper

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 296 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (AceRimmer2007 @ May 19 2008, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So our you reccomending that they charge for the online viewing?

#12 jbrave

jbrave

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

This is so frustrating - In past years I bought all my episodes from iTunes. You could never count on them to show up the day after the show aired - very frustrating if you have waited an ENTIRE WEEK to see a show. Now the shows appear on hulu.com the day after the show, with pleasant short commercial breaks. That is until this week - no BSG on Hulu Saturday night. Nor sunday. I emailed hulu support (and a few other hulu email addresses) and they told me the same thing - show licensing changed and now they have to wait 8 days before they can post the show.

So, who is it who hates the fans so much that they would do this to them? Is it SciFi.com who hates its viewing audience so much? Is it the writers of BSG who have decided they don't want any revenue from their show from the commercials on Hulu and that they hate their fans?

Honestly, why would anyone want to force the viewers to find the content online illegally? I AM WILLING TO PAY TO SEE THIS SHOW. Why isn't it on iTunes? Why isn't it on SciFi.com? Go ahead, charge me! I'll pay to watch it! Hello, is anyone listening up there? Why can't I just buy the episode on iTunes or Scifi, or somewhere else? I'm certain If I was to visit Beijing I could buy it on the street in a beautiful box which beats the ***** out of anything you'll find here in the USA, that includes DVD's of all past shows at a very low price. (How do I know that? Might be past experience... )

mad.gif

#13 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:00 PM

There's no such thing as "I'm not able to watch the episode" if you have an internet connection. You either A. Choose not to download it out of some false sense of morality or B. You don't know where to watch it or download it from. While I find it hard to believe that anyone is dumb enough to use excuse B, there are plenty of people who use excuse A and I don't feel sorry for them at all. blink.gif
Posted Image
"I don't care what I do when I grow up as long as I don't have to wear a suit and fly." Clark Kent-"Smallville"

#14 AceRimmer2007

AceRimmer2007

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (nebariscaper @ May 19 2008, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So our you reccomending that they charge for the online viewing?

If my job was to make money off of television programs? Yes, I would. Why, how would you do it?

#15 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (AceRimmer2007 @ May 19 2008, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If my job was to make money off of television programs? Yes, I would. Why, how would you do it?

I know this question was not directed at me but I'd like to answer anyway. When they were showing the early viewing of the episode on scifi.com the thing had commercials for intel chips at the beginning and perhaps in the middle too if I remember correctly, I'm sure Scifi got some money for that and there was no way to *skip* the ads, you could mute them if they bothered you that bad.
Posted Image
"I don't care what I do when I grow up as long as I don't have to wear a suit and fly." Clark Kent-"Smallville"

#16 AceRimmer2007

AceRimmer2007

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (ShiningPathofLight @ May 19 2008, 06:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know this question was not directed at me but I'd like to answer anyway. When they were showing the early viewing of the episode on scifi.com the thing had commercials for intel chips at the beginning and perhaps in the middle too if I remember correctly, I'm sure Scifi got some money for that

I'm sure they did, too. Question is, did they get two bucks per view from those ads?

#17 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (AceRimmer2007 @ May 19 2008, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure they did, too. Question is, did they get two bucks per view from those ads?

Air it on your website for a day with commercials and then release it on itunes or whatever pay-service the next day. That way you get both forms of revenue, I'm surprised these humps haven't thought of this yet. Well they did think of it, then they stopped doing it unsure.gif
Posted Image

#18 AceRimmer2007

AceRimmer2007

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (ShiningPathofLight @ May 19 2008, 06:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Air it on your website for a day with commercials and then release it on itunes or whatever pay-service the next day. That way you get both forms of revenue, I'm surprised these humps haven't thought of this yet. Well they did think of it, then they stopped doing it unsure.gif

Boggles the mind.

By the way, since there were only 6 Trek movies I'm gonna' have to go with IV: The Hippy Greenpeace Commercial. Yes, I would rather watch V: The Search for the Big Giant Head over that one and that's sayin' a lot.

#19 Comingdarkly

Comingdarkly

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 08:38 PM

8 days? Man, I'm never going away for a weekend again blink.gif

#20 Eisenhower

Eisenhower

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 09:41 PM

(according to hulu.com, it will be an 8 day wait after each episode). WTF? Anyone got a clue about why they changed?

My guess, because Sciffy hates you.
Sciffy hates us, and they want us to suffer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users