Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:02 AM

Posted Image

#2 TJYoung80234

TJYoung80234

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:11 AM

Or it's a boat... or it's a hunk of rock... or it's a meteor (maybe with a space peanut)! No one knows for sure, and there's no reason trying to guess anything.

“Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren’t able to practice their love with women all across this country.”
- George Bush

#3 helmling

helmling

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:12 AM

Can we say definitively that's New York? I'm from Texas and have only been to NY twice, so I don't pretend to be able to recognize or dispute the charred skyline. Native NY'ers?

#4 Motorhead151

Motorhead151

Peacekeeper

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 571 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:20 AM

There's nothing in it that suggests it's New York. The only thing people are going on is the Brooklyn Bridge, and even that is sketchy at best. If it was meant to be NYC I think it would have been made obvious.

#5 TJYoung80234

TJYoung80234

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:20 AM

QUOTE (ur-helmling @ Jun 14 2008, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can we say definitively that's New York? I'm from Texas and have only been to NY twice, so I don't pretend to be able to recognize or dispute the charred skyline. Native NY'ers?

Native New Yorker... and no. Nothing ANYWHERE suggests that it's New York. Unless someone can find the script for this episode that says:

PAN OVER DESTROYED NEW YORK CITY

Then there's no way to know (that is until the next episode).

“Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren’t able to practice their love with women all across this country.”
- George Bush

#6 CAPTAINJAMES1959

CAPTAINJAMES1959

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:27 AM

QUOTE (TJYoung80234 @ Jun 14 2008, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Native New Yorker... and no. Nothing ANYWHERE suggests that it's New York. Unless someone can find the script for this episode that says:

Yes we will all to wait until the next season. But thats not until 2009. sad.gif

#7 Anastashia

Anastashia

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,592 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:28 AM

QUOTE (TJYoung80234 @ Jun 14 2008, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Native New Yorker here and totally disagree. I was hit imediately with the view of the southern tip of Manhattan.

This is a good catch though Rictorious and would certainly put Brooklyn back in contention. I'm still not convinced that the shoreline in the distance extends far enough to the right to be the view of Manhattan from the Brooklyn shore though (looking at the other end of it in the scene from where you are). The view and skyline work much better for me as being from Ellis Island if you look at how it cuts off to the right so the SoL would be behind you.

My thread went to DragonCon and all I got was an empty chocolate box.

Posted Image

Posted ImageOLB Covert Missions R Us

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
GIF Avis: Nude Lean by LiteraryLemming (LJ), Two Sepia Tones by NewbieUK, Brig Kiss by Alexandral (LJ), the rest by me.
Crab Nebula: small by Theonides (LJ), large by Solstation (LJ)

#8 JoelTDahl

JoelTDahl

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (Rictorious @ Jun 14 2008, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's Vancouver, with a CGI overlay to make it look nuked. I was just there a few weeks ago, and the city skyline is just about identical, as is the shape of the bay.

I don't think it's necessarily supposed to be Vancouver in the story, though.

It's definitely lacking Charleton Heston, going, "God(s) **** them! God(s) **** them all to hell. They did it!"

Joel

#9 AddictedtoBSG

AddictedtoBSG

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 551 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:35 AM

I'm thinking it was San Francisco. The one thing someone should do is capture a screenshot of that map Lee was looking at of Pithia or whatever the name was. That was supposedly of Earth and when I first saw that before even seeing the ending I immediately thought it was San Francisco. The bridge at the end just poured more fuel on that fire as well as the view of where they were and where the camera panned to....it looked like they were standing in Sausalito on the northern side of the bridge panning over to San Francisco on the other side(which looked like a large scale city). maybe someone can get a screen shot of that as well.
"He was cremated, and I couldn't resist grinding him up with a little bit of blow. My dad wouldn't have cared," he said. "... It went down pretty well, and I'm still alive." - Keith Richards

#10 Anastashia

Anastashia

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,592 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:36 AM

NYC from Ellis

Posted Image

GIF Avis: Nude Lean by LiteraryLemming (LJ), Two Sepia Tones by NewbieUK, Brig Kiss by Alexandral (LJ), the rest by me.

#11 Anastashia

Anastashia

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,592 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (AddictedtoBSG @ Jun 14 2008, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm thinking it was San Francisco. The one thing someone should do is capture a screenshot of that map Lee was looking at of Pithia or whatever the name was. That was supposedly of Earth and when I first saw that before even seeing the ending I immediately thought it was San Francisco. The bridge at the end just poured more fuel on that fire as well as the view of where they were and where the camera panned to....it looked like they were standing in Sausalito on the northern side of the bridge panning over to San Francisco on the other side(which looked like a large scale city). maybe someone can get a screen shot of that as well.

The map was the opera house on Kobol, he turned the page to look at Aurora's temple on Earth. Relevant screen caps are in the Lee/Kara shipper thread between pages 3805 and 3808.

If that is a bridge it would reinforce the Brooklyn call and the potential Liberty Island would be in the right place from that venue. I still don't like the shoreline though.

Posted Image

#12 Cannikin2

Cannikin2

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (Rictorious @ Jun 14 2008, 11:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really dont think the Statue of Liberty will be there after a nuclear attack of any magnitude. Its thin copper over a light skeleton. In the shots we saw, if that was in fact NYC, even the strongest of structures were shattered. The pedestal might survive, but I dont think the statue would in any recognizable form.

#13 RScottus

RScottus

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (JoelTDahl @ Jun 14 2008, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's Vancouver, with a CGI overlay to make it look nuked. I was just there a few weeks ago, and the city skyline is just about identical, as is the shape of the bay.

I don't think it's necessarily supposed to be Vancouver in the story, though.

It's definitely lacking Charleton Heston, going, "God(s) **** them! God(s) **** them all to hell. They did it!"

Joel

LOL D*** dirty apes! I am curious, the one building as they panned over lookes like the remanants ovet the building Lee saw in the book of Pythia at the begining.

Now comes the real question, posed by Lee, where do we go from here?, Back to Kobol my guess. Only real habitable planet we know otherwise. Maybe only "five" make it there. And the cycle will start again.
I thought that D'anas reaction was the most poignant. She seemed the only one ttruly shocked. Emotion coming out? She was the most cool-headed throughout the episode, now she is devastated?

#14 trekncc

trekncc

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 291 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:08 PM

I'm a firm believer that they are standing at the ruins of The Temple of Aurora. They showed the artistic rendition in the first scene of the episode, and the wreckage looks very similar. Note the girders of the domed roof in the foreground. Lee and Starbuck talked about walking the halls of the temple, and in the end they got their wish.

I don't think it's supposed to be any Earth city in particular. Trying to figure that one out is a waste of time. What we should be asking is how does The Temple of Aurora fit into our timeline. As much as I want this to be future Earth, I'm leaning towards the idea that the writers are going with a fictionalized Earth.

#15 Rictorious

Rictorious

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (Anastashia @ Jun 14 2008, 08:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is a good catch though Rictorious and would certainly put Brooklyn back in contention.

Thanks. :-) I think it is safe to bet that for the storyline's purpose, it is New York.

Granted they filmed it in Vancouver, like they did for a great deal of their surface shots. JoelTDahl, of course it's not supposed to be Vancouver. Why would it be? it's not recognizable to the world. You can argue that Caprica town square is REALLY the college in Vancouver. Or you can suspend disbelief and say it's a whole new planet. Come on people, have some fun, lighten up. The show is filmed on Earth, period. Therefore it's up to the art department to try and change things up a bit to make things different. I know you're sad that it's really, TRULY filmed on Earth. But be glad that it's not real, otherwise you are charcoal about now.
Posted Image

#16 Anastashia

Anastashia

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,592 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

QUOTE (trekncc @ Jun 14 2008, 01:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a firm believer that they are standing at the ruins of The Temple of Aurora. They showed the artistic rendition in the first scene of the episode, and the wreckage looks very similar. Note the girders of the domed roof in the foreground. Lee and Starbuck talked about walking the halls of the temple, and in the end they got their wish.

I don't think it's supposed to be any Earth city in particular. Trying to figure that one out is a waste of time. What we should be asking is how does The Temple of Aurora fit into our timeline. As much as I want this to be future Earth, I'm leaning towards the idea that the writers are going with a fictionalized Earth.

Are you talking about the Kobol Opera House that Lee was initially looking at or did you get that he turned the page when Kara was walking over to him and they were looking at a very different picture that we only get a very brief glimpse of? It still matches the wreckage, as a matter of fact it's a much better match. The roof of the opera house was way to big for that wreckage. What's there also matches the arrival hall on Ellis Island though.

Posted Image

#17 Motorhead151

Motorhead151

Peacekeeper

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 571 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:17 PM

Here's from Red Hook in Brooklyn, nothing similar here

Here's from the bridge:

This really shows how that little pile of rubble couldn't really be it

#18 Mavis

Mavis

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 12:58 PM

Listen up you "damned dirty apes" it's Sydney Australia and that's the dome of the Opera House in the foreground. tongue.gif

#19 withershins

withershins

Superhero

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:02 PM

i'm telling you it's binghamton, ny.

Posted Image

#20 CaptTightpants

CaptTightpants

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,519 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:18 PM

OKay, full disclaimer that I know it doesn;t matter where it is, but it's still kind fun to wonder....
QUOTE (AddictedtoBSG @ Jun 14 2008, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not feeling San francisco, San Francisco does not have a tall skyline from the Fort Baker side (I ride my bike across to marin a few times a week;)) except at the far east side, and there's a huge hill full of buildings in the middle and a giant park to the west.

If it was from Oakland looking over the Bay Bridge, they would be farther away.

Though if they landed in East Oakland, that could just be the normal landscape, not a post apocalyptic one, heh. smile.gif

QUOTE (Cannikin2 @ Jun 14 2008, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really dont think the Statue of Liberty will be there after a nuclear attack of any magnitude. Its thin copper over a light skeleton. In the shots we saw, if that was in fact NYC, even the strongest of structures were shattered. The pedestal might survive, but I dont think the statue would in any recognizable form.

Especially not since the Cloverfield monster already popped it's head off.
Posted Image

"Heaven, such as it is, is here on Earth. Behold: My revelation: I stand at the door in the morning, and lo, there is a newspaper, as sight as unto an emerald. And holy, holy, holy is the coffee, which was, and is, and is to come. And lo, after this, I beheld a great multitude, which no man could number, of shoes. And after these things I will hasten unto a taxicab and to a theatre, where a ticket will be given unto me, and lo, it will be a matinee, and a film that doeth great wonders..." - Sarah Vowell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users