• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:14 AM

"Temba, his arms wide!"

"The Beast at Tanagra!"

"Darmok, and Jalad... on the ocean."
Posted Image
"I don't care what I do when I grow up as long as I don't have to wear a suit and fly." Clark Kent-"Smallville"

#2 JavaArchon

JavaArchon

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:11 AM

"Mirab, his sails unfurled."

#3 Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (Captain Dathon @ Stardate 45047.2) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rai and Jiri at Lungha. Rai of Lowani. Lowani under two moons. Jiri of Ubaya. Ubaya of crossed roads.
At Lungha. Lungha, her sky Grey.
Kadir beneath Mo Moteh.
The river Temarc in winter.
Shaka, when the walls fell.
Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra.
Zima, at Anso! Zima and Bakor!
Mirab, his sails unfurled!
Kiteo, his eyes closed. Chenza at court. The court of silence. Chenza...
Temba, his arms wide.
Uzani, his army at Lashmir. Uzani, his army, with fists open. His army with fists closed.
Sokath, his eyes uncovered!
Kailash! When it rises.
Kiazi's children, their faces wet.
Zinda! His face black, his eyes red! Callimas, at Bahar.
Kira at Bashi. Temba, his arms wide.

#4 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 03:05 AM

This website has "Darmok" as the best episode of all Star Treks of all time. http://www.trekmania...isodes02-01.htm
I always thought that the episode was rather strange and cheap and I've always considered it a *filler* episode. To say that it's the best episode of *any* Star Trek series ever is saying something, something I don't agree with, but after reading what they say about it I kinda get where their coming from. Having said that, "Darmok" will always stand out in my mind simply because of how strange it was and I can never forget all the made up dialog.
Posted Image
"I don't care what I do when I grow up as long as I don't have to wear a suit and fly." Clark Kent-"Smallville"

#5 Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE (ShiningPathofLight @ Jul 16 2008, 04:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always thought that the episode was rather strange and cheap and I've always considered it a *filler* episode.
To say that it's the best episode of *any* Star Trek series ever is saying something, something I don't agree with ...

Ditto.
Even though it starred the late Paul Winfield, who we remember as Captain Terrell in Wrath of Khan, it was still a turkey.

#6 IvaWrightTajuanaPinyan

IvaWrightTajuanaPinyan

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:16 PM

I've always thought that the fx were pretty much done on the fly, but the interaction between Jean-Luc and the alien captain, and the bigger message/theme, was what Trek was always about at its best.
Blessed be,

~ Iva

#7 withershins

withershins

Superhero

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:42 PM

and that was also the first episode picard wore the open jacket uniform with the gray shirt underneath. i thought that was so cool when i first saw it, even though the jacket in this particular episode had slightly different, more rubbery-looking shoulder pads than the jacket he wears subsequently.

Posted Image

#8 SAL9000

SAL9000

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 17 July 2008 - 10:53 PM

I thought it was a brilliant episode, and one of my top five.

#9 JavaArchon

JavaArchon

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 18 July 2008 - 07:41 AM

QUOTE (ShiningPathofLight @ Jul 16 2008, 04:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This website has "Darmok" as the best episode of all Star Treks of all time. http://www.trekmania...isodes02-01.htm
I always thought that the episode was rather strange and cheap and I've always considered it a *filler* episode. To say that it's the best episode of *any* Star Trek series ever is saying something, something I don't agree with, but after reading what they say about it I kinda get where their coming from. Having said that, "Darmok" will always stand out in my mind simply because of how strange it was and I can never forget all the made up dialog.

I thought it was a pretty good episode. the article says, it represents what Star Trek is really all about. And I'd agree with that.

Plus I liked the fact that the universal translator didn't work for once.

And of course, Ashley Judd makes an appearance!

#10 bheadher

bheadher

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (JavaArchon @ Jul 18 2008, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought it was a pretty good episode. the article says, it represents what Star Trek is really all about. And I'd agree with that.

Plus I liked the fact that the universal translator didn't work for once.

And of course, Ashley Judd makes an appearance!

I always considered this one as being in my favorites list. It strikes me as a hard look into the difference between understanding and misunderstanding, and though somewhat lacking in the action category, it does make you think on the subconscious level. I doubt if they had any other motive in producing it other than showing how wars and conflicts start, or can be avoided. I just like this one... smile.gif
Posted Image
-----------------------------------------------------------
Don't you wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence?
There's one marked 'Brightness,' but it doesn't work - Gallagher

You are traveling through another dimension..
a dimension of sight and sound...reality and rational thinking are forbidden.
Rod Serling had the Twighlight Zone, SkiffyGirl has her SkiffyZone...

Welcome to my world of fun and enlightenment...you are entering-

THE SILLY ZONE!

#11 KarinaKay

KarinaKay

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 06:00 PM

This is one of my least faves of all. I get the point, but found the episode boring. The only one I like less is that annoying theme which keeps popping up on sci fi shows - the time loop, when the day keeps happening over and over again.

#12 JavaArchon

JavaArchon

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:38 AM

QUOTE (KarinaKay @ Jul 26 2008, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is one of my least faves of all. I get the point, but found the episode boring. The only one I like less is that annoying theme which keeps popping up on sci fi shows - the time loop, when the day keeps happening over and over again.

I think you mean "cause and effect" That episode was brilliant.

I agree that a lot of sci-fi shows deal with time travel now. but this was back in the late 80's. There wasn't a lot of sci-fi on tv back then (from what I remember - I was quite young then). And they did handled time travel very well. TNG usually did.

#13 stargatekate

stargatekate

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 03:37 PM

Darmok was awesome!!! Definitely one of my favorites. Patrick Stuart is amazing I usually love the Picard centered episodes....The Inner Light, Best of both Worlds....

Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today - but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.
Isaac Asimov

#14 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE (JavaArchon @ Jul 15 2008, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Posted Image

#15 RileyJ24

RileyJ24

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:33 PM

Not really one of my favorites, but it did send a good message. That if you take the time to learn to communicate with someone, that it is possible to achieve a common goal. Or at least develop a new friendship and learn something about one another.

Posted Image

#16 Fellstar

Fellstar

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 10:17 PM

Star Trek TNG was a ritual for me going through high school. This episode is by far one of my favorites.. OK I may have had no idea about the cheesy special affects and low budget/residuals, yet I found that the story and acting was quite enjoyable.. the language barriers and the effort to defeat an invisible beast was endearing to me and the sad loss of the other captain. I was looking to request this episode therefore registering up with Scifi.. yet to no avail do I see a viewer request section. Plus Lost has taken the slot.. unsure.gif sad.gif I mean lost isn't bad.. but yeah.. I don't really care for it.. a bunch of savages.. so a bunch of savages like watching it.. give me some intellectuality and sophistication. Yes, Lost can incite emotion.. but only very simple aspects of the id. Ah, I see no arguing this point.. it's all about ratings.. not rantings.. lol. I hope that the true geeky/intelligent/starry-eyed sci-fi employee will some how find a way to get those TNG recordings back on the screen. Nonetheless, it has been nice to dine and watch TNG with friends and family.

#17 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (Fellstar @ Sep 20 2008, 11:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
( I mean lost isn't bad.. but yeah.. I don't really care for it.. a bunch of savages.. so a bunch of savages like watching it.. give me some intellectuality and sophistication. Yes, Lost can incite emotion.. but only very simple aspects of the id.

You really should try to watch more episodes of "Lost", I think you have the wrong impression of the show.

Posted Image

#18 eber322

eber322

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 01:00 AM

Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God.
Posted Image

#19 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:52 PM

QUOTE (eber322 @ Sep 21 2008, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's AWESOME!!!
Posted Image

#20 Fellstar

Fellstar

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 11:09 PM

QUOTE (eber322 @ Sep 21 2008, 01:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Haha yes, very nice! And to SPL, you have a point and I've seen the climatic and suspense thriller and thoughtfulness to the show's storyline and cast. However, I guess I should have said IMO instead of savages and barbarians.. I guess what it really dematerializes down to is the outer space factor and star ship elements.. not the beach and plotting of survival tactics and scenarios. What makes lost interesting to me is that it shows true human nature and what we would or could do if we were put in a situation less than desirable. Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra! sorry for the mispelling!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users