• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PintSze

PintSze

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 July 2008 - 03:25 PM

What's happening to the SCI-FI Channel? Their wasting air time chasing ghosts and now the want to show us where these ghosts are supposed to be? Gimme a break! It's time to get back to science fiction or chnage the name to the "Ghost Channel".

#2 Celt1114

Celt1114

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 232 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:58 PM

Ghosts ARE science fiction.
Do you want science fact? Or science fiction?

If you believe ghosts to be real then your post makes sense.
They're not real.
They're fiction.
The problem with those who call themselves skeptics is not that they are skeptical. We must all be skeptical. The problem is that they are skeptical in only one direction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A callot
Of boundless tongue, who late hath beat her husband,
And now baits me!
William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, 2. 3

#3 Gary101

Gary101

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 12:51 PM

QUOTE (PintSze @ Jul 23 2008, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What's happening to the SCI-FI Channel? Their wasting air time chasing ghosts and now the want to show us where these ghosts are supposed to be? Gimme a break! It's time to get back to science fiction or chnage the name to the "Ghost Channel".

While Id love to see new original programming like a New Outer Limits and other dark and serious Sci Fi, Im not sure where people get the idea that this channel used to be great or had lots of great Sci Fi on it. When it was less successful like most cable channels it was the recycle bin for all the crud , super old reruns they could get for dirt cheap -- really bad old movies and series with the few decent things, constant reruns of X Files, New Outer Limits etc. Then they would try to pad the schedule with really bad new low budget movies they picked up like Bermuda Triangle and Mansquito and endless reruns of the most poorly done documentary shows on Big Foot, UFOs.

In fact a new story on this channel which is owned by NBC I think, had the execs speculating about changing the name of the channel to the Imagination channel or something like that, because they said it was about far more than Sci Fi.

And theyve always had some horror and other stuff on here. Its not like they are changing now. The only real difference is that some of their biggest hits are the reality channel, horror oriented stuff. So if they did take it off their ratings would plummet. Ironically the good stuff theyve tried like Lost Room didnt do that well in the ratings. However, I agree --- why dont they move all that to the Chiller channel since NBC owns that too? It doesnt make sense.

#4 MeddlesomeMant

MeddlesomeMant

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE (Celt1114 @ Aug 8 2008, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They're not real.
They're fiction.

Literary classifications are quite clear on what themes are of what classification. Ghosts are not science fiction, ghost stories are supernatural fiction. A movie like Ghostbusters is both supernatural fiction and science fiction because it deals with fantastic technologies as well as supernatural beings. Ghost Hunters, Destination Truth, Scariest Places on Earth, and all of these similar shows are not even supernatural fiction, they are, specifically, documentary-style reality television. I'd personally consider Scariest Places on Earth and Scary But True to be hoax reality television (Scare Tactics) though, since I'm pretty convinced that everything that these poor saps experience is staged.

Unfortunately, the people who run this network have the same perception of what science fiction is that you do, which is why it's plagued with reality television. The network seriously needs to change its name considering that actual science fiction is a minority when it comes to what they put on the air.

#5 birdloverjt

birdloverjt

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

Why would it be so important for them to change the name of the channel? There are many things I watch on Sci Fi and it doesn't matter to me in the least what it's called. Also, how are you so sure that it's a "hoax"? Have you been on the show? I know a lot of people that HAVE been on Scariest Places On Earth and trust me - it was quite real to them.

QUOTE (MeddlesomeMant @ Oct 15 2008, 01:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Literary classifications are quite clear on what themes are of what classification. Ghosts are not science fiction, ghost stories are supernatural fiction. A movie like Ghostbusters is both supernatural fiction and science fiction because it deals with fantastic technologies as well as supernatural beings. Ghost Hunters, Destination Truth, Scariest Places on Earth, and all of these similar shows are not even supernatural fiction, they are, specifically, documentary-style reality television. I'd personally consider Scariest Places on Earth and Scary But True to be hoax reality television (Scare Tactics) though, since I'm pretty convinced that everything that these poor saps experience is staged.

Unfortunately, the people who run this network have the same perception of what science fiction is that you do, which is why it's plagued with reality television. The network seriously needs to change its name considering that actual science fiction is a minority when it comes to what they put on the air.

#6 MeddlesomeMant

MeddlesomeMant

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:52 AM

QUOTE (birdloverjt @ Oct 21 2008, 03:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why would it be so important for them to change the name of the channel? There are many things I watch on Sci Fi and it doesn't matter to me in the least what it's called. Also, how are you so sure that it's a "hoax"? Have you been on the show? I know a lot of people that HAVE been on Scariest Places On Earth and trust me - it was quite real to them.

Oh come on, they pretty much lead everyone around on a leash... "go here, wait while we rattle some chains. now go over here, we'll knock on the wall from the other room". Of course it was real to the people on it, you don't let the people in on the con. This show reeks of being staged, in my opinion it's nothing more than Scare Tactics without the obligatory accomplice, hug, and bottle of water.

The reason I think they should change the name of the network is because it is so far removed from what it was, it's a disgrace to call it by the same name. Seriously, giant snake movies, reality television, wrestling?

#7 birdloverjt

birdloverjt

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:07 AM

But it's very easy to just change the channel! There's a lot of things on TV that I don't like and some of it I even consider offensive but I don't go to their forums and complain - I just watch something else! If the shows/movies weren't pulling in any ratings then I doubt they'd be airing them, at least they've got a big enough variety to please different tastes. I don't happen to be a big fan of science fiction but I'd certainly watch a "giant snake movie" or a reality show. I definitely don't like wrestling but I know a lot of people do so I simply change the channel while it's on....easy enough!

BTW - that's not even close to the way this show is produced.

QUOTE (MeddlesomeMant @ Oct 22 2008, 03:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh come on, they pretty much lead everyone around on a leash... "go here, wait while we rattle some chains. now go over here, we'll knock on the wall from the other room". Of course it was real to the people on it, you don't let the people in on the con. This show reeks of being staged, in my opinion it's nothing more than Scare Tactics without the obligatory accomplice, hug, and bottle of water.

The reason I think they should change the name of the network is because it is so far removed from what it was, it's a disgrace to call it by the same name. Seriously, giant snake movies, reality television, wrestling?

#8 Selea1957

Selea1957

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:25 AM

I agree. We used to watch SyFy all the time, but now whenever we turn to it in hopes of something science fiction to watch, we are sadly disapointed and we have to look else where. Where we used to watch this channel almost exclusively, we now just watch a lot of bought scifi movies or series or find something on another channel as the SyFy channel is no longer science fiction, or even fantasy. It's practically everything but.

#9 pagan

pagan

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:38 AM

They're not real.
They're fiction.

Hate to disagree but ghosts are REAL!! I've been chasing them too long to believe they exist no where but in my mind. They are FACT, not FICTION.I have no idea why "ghosts" might be here except with the GH and GHI for sheer enjoyment of the viewers.So far both shows have been woefully poor in proving that "ghosts" are real and "haunt" various locations.
Everybody lies.

If you talk to God you're religious. If God talks to you, you're psychotic.

The notion of picking 1 times of the year to be decent to others is obscene because it's actually validating the notion of being miserable SOB finaly.

Your biggest problem...hell I don't know what it is!!! Ask somebody else.

#10 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,575 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:42 AM

They're not real.
They're fiction.

Science Fiction.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Let's declare 2014 as the Year of Love.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users