Here are a few attempts I made

#2 HauntedByBob

HauntedByBob

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:50 PM

You're in luck. One of our regulars is making replicas of Harry's shield bracelet as we speak. Have a look at this.

http://thebluewhalep...f...1&start=225

Scroll down a little and you'll see the finished product.

#3 plasko

plasko

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 583 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

Have you been able to get into the Bluewhalepub hbB?

#4 HauntedByBob

HauntedByBob

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (plasko @ Aug 2 2008, 02:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you been able to get into the Bluewhalepub hbB?

I am there as Darkling.

#5 shiraziel

shiraziel

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 218 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:54 PM

*chuckle* Nice to see I'm not the only fan obsessed with re-creating props from the show!

The actual shield design on the TV series version of the shield bracelet is an amulet from the Key of Solomon for protection against "mental troubles and bad habits" for some odd reason. This amulet IS available online at a number of arcane/wiccan supply websites, but are pretty pricey. (Google search 'amulet against mental troubles' and it'll pop up with the online stores that carry 'em) They range from $15 to $21 EACH... and considering there are supposedly seven of them on his bracelet, it's too rich for my blood to buy them. The cheapest I found them was from a couple of sites from Great Britain but by time you convert the monetary exchange and add the shipping, it comes out to be only a buck or two difference.

That being said, I came up with an alternate, much more economical idea. I have been attempting to paint the design on some copper disk blanks I found on eBay and attach them to some pre-made 8 inch long brown leather bands I was able to pick up cheap from a bead supply catalog I received. The painting is a bit tricky… it's half stenciled and half hand-painted individually, but it works. Attached is a photo of the progression I have to go through in order to fabricate the shields.

Starting from top left and proceeding to the right: Original, plain copper blank, copper blank covered in low-tack masking tape, label with printed design stuck onto masking tape, cut out basic spoke design to create a stencil. Second row, left to right: three coats of gold spray paint applied, sticky-label stencil removed to reveal copper areas, final sigils painted in by hand with gold enamel paint.

The digital photo isn't the greatest, (it’s tough to get nice clear close-ups of small, highly reflective objects with a digital camera!) but at least you can see the different steps it takes to create the finished shields. The finished ones do look pretty nice...

I originally just stuck the adhesive labels with the printed design (which I drew in my computer and printed multiple times on a page of adhesive label material) directly on the copper blanks, but the adhesive was so sticky that when I went to peel off the stencil, it left the glue behind. If I tried to wipe off the adhesive, it destroyed the gold painted design. Using the masking tape (which is a much lower tack) as a base to affix the label to ensures the stencil peels of much easier, leaving a clean copper background.

The finished shields have been given a triple coat of clear spray lacquer followed by a thicker coat of acrylic sealant to help protect them against wear.

Unfortunately, while this is not THE most accurate way of recreating the bracelet, it is the only most economical way I can think of to produce the piece, not having access to any die-striking machine to make custom embossed dies from nor the funds to buy the commercially available versions. I have epoxy-glued a small metal tube bead to the back of each shield so that I can actually sew them onto the leather band with no visible fastening apparent when worn. The tube will keep the shields from shifting too much by giving it a wider, more secure means of fastening to the bracelet.

And now....here is the final photos of my replication of Harry's Shield Bracelet! It's not quite TOTALLY spot-on accurate as I think his band is a bit wider and has some sort of thong-loop and knot closure, but it's the best I could come up with....

To see other Dresden Files props I've re-created, see the thread entitled "Fan Made Replica of Bob's Skull"

#6 Zarina

Zarina

Screaming Brain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,433 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 05:46 PM

Cool rookwhitemane - that's a pretty cool recreation of book-Harry's shield bracelet! Book-Harry's is more of charm-type set of shields than TV-Harry's as folks can see from your recreations. Neat!

Edited by Zarina, 02 August 2008 - 05:47 PM.

#7 HauntedByBob

HauntedByBob

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 02 August 2008 - 11:14 PM

shiraziel here has even made a VERY accurate replica of Bob's skull and Doom Box.

#8 HauntedByBob

HauntedByBob

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 09:45 PM

The show is extremely well researched for real supernatural beliefs and symbolic meanings. It's an impressive collection of real beliefs in magick and their proper portrayals done with respect in such an intelligent way that no show dealing with magick has bothered with before.

According to Dragonmiss (whose replicating the bracelet for her own amusement) 'The actual shield design on the TV series version of the shield bracelet is an amulet from the Key of Solomon for protection against "mental troubles and bad habits"'

You don't get detail like that with shows like Charmed or Buffy The Vampire Slayer. And a charm against bad habits suits Harry considering his struggle against his darker desires to use black magick. His mother probably had a similar inner struggle to have made such a bracelet for herself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users