29 replies to this topic

#1 Bearz

Bearz

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:15 AM

On the ani-monday block for october 20th Sci-fi is going to be showing Strait Jacket. Its a little OVA based on a light novel series from the same guy who wrote Scrapped Princess. Manga really snuck this one in there. I didnt even know it had been licensed.

Heres a trailer.

http://straitjacket.jp/

#2 diblack2

diblack2

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 02:47 AM

yeah, it looks pretty cool... thanks for the head up... i'm glad they're going to be showing it so soon!!! biggrin.gif

they added a bunch of new titles... we were talking about that in this thread for a while (there's some other new ones listed in there, too...)...

i'm always excited to see new stuff... tongue.gif
Posted Image

#3 Funkgunn

Funkgunn

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 09:19 PM

Aces. It looks like one of those killer looking action anime that I could get a friend not into anime with. Much like Samurai Champloo

This gets a Funk Thumbs up.

The Good, the Bad, and the Funk
Posted Image

#4 LostPhrackv2

LostPhrackv2

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:31 AM

It's coming out on DVD around then too. A single disk no less! Can't wait to check it out, looks like it has plenty of the ultra violence.
~Ken

#5 BluMeino

BluMeino

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 348 posts

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:57 AM

Well, it's only 3 episodes, so if it weren't on a single disc, it wouldn't be worth buying.

I've already seen it, saw the first two episodes in springtime, and finally episode 3 got subbed a few weeks ago. Perfect for Sci-Fi, with a bunch of techno-magic babble and mindless blood spilling.

#6 Funkgunn

Funkgunn

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 01:19 AM

QUOTE (BluMeino @ Sep 7 2008, 06:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Perfect for Sci-Fi, with a bunch of techno-magic babble and mindless blood spilling.

Target Demographic huh?
Posted Image

#7 Bearz

Bearz

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 120 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:33 PM

English Trailer.

Steven Blum was a great choice for the main character.

#8 Hisami

Hisami

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 512 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (BluMeino @ Sep 7 2008, 07:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, it's only 3 episodes, so if it weren't on a single disc, it wouldn't be worth buying.

I've already seen it, saw the first two episodes in springtime, and finally episode 3 got subbed a few weeks ago. Perfect for Sci-Fi, with a bunch of techno-magic babble and mindless blood spilling.

i wonder how the collectors edition would be? " in a all new 12 volume set packed with 3 soild hours!,loaded with bouns features such as Fastward,Rewind,Skip and pause! all new with Dual audio!,never before has a colletion like this has been on DVD with 2 posters and intervews with half of the cast "

lol this would be pretty cool to be on sci-fi
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion........It's just that yours is stupid

#9 Funkgunn

Funkgunn

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (Hisami @ Sep 18 2008, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i wonder how the collectors edition would be? " in a all new 12 volume set packed with 3 soild hours!,loaded with bouns features such as Fastward,Rewind,Skip and pause! all new with Dual audio!,never before has a colletion like this has been on DVD with 2 posters and intervews with half of the cast "

lol this would be pretty cool to be on sci-fi

Maybe a bonus will be you get to be one of the characters in the show.

Well, I guess we get our chance to see what it is like soon. oct 20th not too far away.
Posted Image

#10 RobTheOtaku

RobTheOtaku

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 552 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:22 AM

looks exciting, i cant wait. you say that its gonna be on on the 20th, is that gonna be like half of it or do you think animonday might be extending in length to show the whole thing. hope if they do its permanent
Marc Antony:

Marce! Ede stercem meum et morere!

To this, Marc Antony replied:

Cicero! Noli dicere!!! Malus vir es et crassus!

Marc Antony, clearly, had been pwnt.

great quote:

"Extasy: a drug that makes you love everyone? Sounds like hell to me."

-John Waters

#11 diblack2

diblack2

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (Hisami @ Sep 19 2008, 12:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

sami strikes again... tongue.gif
Posted Image

#12 Ledipus

Ledipus

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (Bearz @ Sep 5 2008, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On the ani-monday block for october 20th Sci-fi is going to be showing Strait Jacket. It

http://straitjacket.jp/

I am so excited to see this! I've been haphazard about purchasing anime lately (I've really gotta start working on my backlog). It'll be nice to see the show before having to purchase it. Kudos to Sci-Fi for picking this up so fast!

#13 Hisami

Hisami

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 512 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 10:32 PM

i cant wait!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion........It's just that yours is stupid

#14 LostPhrackv2

LostPhrackv2

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 02:22 AM

Really looking forward to checking this out. Nice timing for it too, right around Halloween.
~Ken

#15 supun

supun

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:12 PM

This is looking interesting smile.gif

#16 coyotech

coyotech

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 501 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:51 PM

Bloody bloody
Posted Image

#17 Funkgunn

Funkgunn

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:06 AM

QUOTE (coyotech @ Oct 20 2008, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bloody bloody

What blood? Oh wait, you meant every 5 minutes. wink.gif

Yeah, I liked this one, but it really felt like I was watching FMA mixed with Elfin Lied (for the gore factor) and a sprinkling of Tetsuo-human glob monsters.
(Kaaaa-Nadaaaa!!!!!!)
In fact it really felt like a rushed sort of show. sadly our little heroine with the glasses was almost lost in the story after a while. She could have been used more, I was hoping more for her to be a ROD type character. I did like the Jin-roh style armor + hand held cannon.
It really felt like it was a pilot episode, to something bigger. Doubtful that it will happen however. On a scale of 1- 10 i would give a worth 6. maybe 7 for production value.

Had a very well known voice cast. They did a Decent job. The 4 eye voice actor sure likes roles with girls in cloaks. I think she was LuLu from blood+

I do thank Sci-Fi for finding a good Oct style anime.

Posted Image

#18 LostPhrackv2

LostPhrackv2

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 300 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 03:07 AM

No matter what the lil' box said, that was not TV-PG! ohmy.gif

It was, on the other hand, really really enjoyable! I dug it a lot, definitely putting the DVD on my "to buy" list.

"Oh look, a flower."

Heh.
~Ken

#19 Ledipus

Ledipus

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 04:05 PM

Pretty good little show. I did throughly enjoy episodes 1 and 2 however the final episode was really rushed. Awesome artwork and style though!

7/10

#20 Articman

Articman

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:46 PM

I waited to see Strait Jacket before commenting upon it. After seeing it once, I need to see it again before making any indepth comments. But, here are some quick thoughts.

Strait Jacket borrows heavily from Full Metal Alchemist. The mystic symbols that appear when performing Sorcery are reminiscent of the Alchemic Symbols used in FMA.

Malediction, the price of Sorcery. Using Sorcery can lead to your body being corrupted and turning into a 'Demon'. A grotesque bloodthirsty killing machine that can only be stopped by high level Sorcery. Using Molds, protects those using Sorcery from Malediction. But if the mold fails, Malediction can set in.

Tactical Sorcerers, AKA Strait Jackets. The men and women who battle demons in full body molds. They use extremely high level Sorcery to battle demons, exterminating them. However, it is at a high price, if their mold fails, they become the very thing they have been battling, the thing they fear. Then there is the emotional toll on the Jackets and their families.

Their weapons are impressive, lots of mystic fireworks. The full body molds, suits of mystic armor, are visually impressive and you can believe that they can take anything the demons dish out.

The Demons splatter blood and body parts everywhere. Twisted by Sorcery in both mind and body to grotesque extremes. I felt pangs of sympathy for those, who's molds were tampered with, turning them into demons. These monsters kill without thought, without hesitation, without remorse.

This is a bleak show. Both visually and emotionally. Perhaps, if it was longer, a full 26 episode series, we might get something more. But not with 3 episodes packed together into a two hour block.

I would like to see this as a full lenght series. It has potential.

What do you think?
It is said that whomsoever the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad. In fact, whomsoever the gods wish to destroy, they first hand the equivalent of a stick with a fizzing fuse and Acme Dynamite Company written on the side. It's more interesting, and doesn't take so long. (Soul Music, by Terry Pratchett)

Posted Image

When you are short of everything, except the Enemy. You are in Combat. (Murphy's Laws of Warfare.)
Within each of us, ofttimes, There dwells a mighty and raging fury. (Title Card, Pilot, The Incredible Hulk)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users