• Please log in to reply
1893 replies to this topic

#1 Omegastein

Omegastein

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 12:11 PM

FBI agents Olivia Dunham and Peter Bishop are faced with a rapidly spreading unexplained phenomenon of the threatening kind. In an attempt to stop the spread, they enlist the assistance of Bishop's estranged father, the institutionalized scientist Dr. Walter Bishop.

Dawson's Creek's Joshua Jackson will play the lead role of Peter Bishop, a smart guy with many gambling debts. The Secret Life of Us's Anna Torv will play Olivia Dunham, a young, tough FBI agent who has to confront an unexplained phenomena. Also cast in the series are The Black Donnelly's Kirk Acevedo and Boston Legal's Mark Valley. They will play FBI agents. The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King's John Noble and The Wire's Lance Reddick soon were added to the credits. Noble as Dr. Walter Bishop and Reddick as Phillip Broyles, a special agent for Homeland Security head of the Fringe division, that investigates terrorist and paranormal events. Alongside them are veteran actress Blair Brown and Take the Lead actress Jasika Nicole. Brown will play Nina Sharp, a 16-year veteran of Prometheus Corp., a cutting-edge research facility, while Nicole got the recurring role of Astrid, a federal assistant.

This highly anticipated sci-fi drama is created by Transformers /Star Trek/ Mission: Impossible III's J.J. Abrams, Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. Fringe is directed by Emmy Award-winning Alex Graves ("The West Wing") and produced by Warner Bros. Television, Bad Robot Productions and Fringe Element Films.

For those wanting to take a sneak peek at the previews, there are a ton of videos up on YouTube and for those who are Facebook inclined. Judging how the buildup of Lost has been going and its leaning to Science Fiction ways with each passing season, I would imagine there will be a tight following for Fringe.

Thoughts?
Posted Image

#2 kylenin51

kylenin51

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

I'll definitely be watching. This is the one series that I'm looking forward to the most for the fall, and not just out of the new shows, but including returning shows too.
Posted Image
July 19th -- TOS-R "Spectre of the Gun"

#3 DarkThoughts

DarkThoughts

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (kylenin51 @ Jun 4 2008, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'll definitely be watching. This is the one series that I'm looking forward to the most for the fall, and not just out of the new shows, but including returning shows too.

Same here. Really looking forward to it and hope its worth the wait. smile.gif

#4 plasko

plasko

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 584 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:13 PM

From what I've seen it looks like something I will get obsessed about. My only worry is that it's on Fox who is a little quick with the ax. If it could have a run like Lost that would be great.

#5 slmille1

slmille1

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:21 PM

I don't know... i'm still on the edge here. I'll give it one episode to win me over. However, i didn't start watching Lost until they re-ran the first season.
The Greatest Thing You'll Ever Learn Is Just to Love and Be Loved In Return.

Posted Image

thanks to NikkiFM for my sig

Formerly helosgrl (hopefully that name will be returning soon... please admin!!!!) and helosgrlreturns

#6 Aenigmatique

Aenigmatique

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:35 PM

Who caught the pilot? It had a nice aura to it and I hope it goes far. John Noble's voice sounded like Vincent Price's at times although that whole insane scientist routine got a bit unsettling at times. I guess I wasn't expecting the double-cross twist at the end but the corporate bad guy thing wasn't unexpected. The snowy scenery is a sorry reminder of things to come around here.

It was nice that the commercial breaks ran only 60-90 seconds at a pop.

#7 DarkThoughts

DarkThoughts

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 10:11 PM

It was a very solid start out of the gates and I'm hoping to get hooked on it.

#8 delphia2008

delphia2008

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 12:52 AM

DH and I both watched and enjoyed. I didn't care for the "ick!" factor but the story line was nicely convoluted. I also thought the sound was very uneven and had trouble hearing some of the people speak. I kind of liked the 'mad scientist' character even tho I know it's a cliche. Really liked the short commercials too.

The BBoard Member Formerly Known as delphia2000
Original join date May 6, 2003 with over 4,375 posts

Still too sexy for our trolls!
"There are certain people whose business it is to make mischief, and mischief making
is a calling in which it does not require much wit to be successful." I. Bird

#9 deadeyeduck

deadeyeduck

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:06 AM

Hmm, yeah Fringe was pretty interesting, a decent pilot at least. Though when comparing Pilots, I like The X-Files alot more. The story was fairly well crafted though a little slow in the beginning. I really disliked the title cards they used to display the current location of the scene. It seemed so silly to do it that way.

There were also some editing problems that annoyed me, most notably the foot chase(when Olivia is chasing the suspect and Peter tackles him) and the car chase. The foot chase is alright enough up until the end after both Olivia and Steig jump from the fire escape. Peter just appears out of no where and when we cut to him and Steig, Peter is already in mid tackle and putting Steig onto the ground. It just seemed poorly handled. I can't really specify what I didn't like about the car chase, maybe it's because of the millisecond long shots and constant zooming in. Though that's not an entirely fair argument because they do that on Battlestar Galactica and I thought that enhanced the space battles. So I don't know, it's strange.

But all in in all, pretty interesting pilot. The promo at the end of the episode was pretty intriguing. I'll definitely at least watch a few more episodes.
Posted Image

#10 eber322

eber322

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:53 AM

QUOTE (deadeyeduck @ Sep 10 2008, 01:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm, yeah Fringe was pretty interesting, a decent pilot at least. Though when comparing Pilots, I like The X-Files alot more.

Interesting that you bring up the X-files, because that's what this really seems like. I kept expecting Mulder and Scully to show any minute. But despite that it was an enjoyable show. Looking forward to seeing more.

Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God.
Posted Image

#11 St_Bernard

St_Bernard

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (eber322 @ Sep 10 2008, 02:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting that you bring up the X-files, because that's what this really seems like. I kept expecting Mulder and Scully to show any minute. But despite that it was an enjoyable show. Looking forward to seeing more.

But not like X-Files because it all Science not paranormal.
All the new cases are like a scientist is conducting experiments on the public.
Between the world we see, and the things we fear. There are doors. When they are opened, nightmares become reality.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Jake has been saved, thanks Ron, and MrsRon. Thanks all for signing the petition ! Click here to see.

#12 SmartAlec

SmartAlec

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:39 PM

"Yeah cause in 6 hours you're really dead" laugh.gif

I liked it... caught my eye... I shall keep watching to see.

Posted Image
Fifty years from now, when you look back at your life...
don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?

Girls like to be called beautiful more than they like to be called hot

#13 eber322

eber322

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE (St_Bernard @ Sep 10 2008, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not all the X-files cases were paranormal, some were scientific in basis. Plus, several (in fact most) of the things talked about so far in the pilot of Fringe are paranormal. They claim that they are science based but in reality there is no such scientific based proof of them let alone ability to cause them. Telekinesis, mind reading, mind reading of the dead, etc. They are simply using paranormal things framed from the view point that one wacky "scientist" has figured all these things out scientifically.

Posted Image

#14 DarkThoughts

DarkThoughts

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:19 PM

QUOTE (delphia2008 @ Sep 10 2008, 01:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
DH and I both watched and enjoyed. I didn't care for the "ick!" factor but the story line was nicely convoluted. I also thought the sound was very uneven and had trouble hearing some of the people speak. I kind of liked the 'mad scientist' character even tho I know it's a cliche. Really liked the short commercials too.

I really liked the "ick" factor and I thought that the mad scientist added just enough humor to the story to make him an interesting character without becoming stupid and annoying.

I'm still on the fence with the title cards used to display the current location. I didn't like them when I watched it last night, but when I watched it again today with my wife, they were more easily acceptable.

#15 TabbyJack

TabbyJack

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:20 PM

I was wondering when this thread would appear. I liked it alot and hope that it stays around a bit longer. It reminded me more of 4400 detectives and lost with the directing that whole blank out the screne bit. Like the idea of science based rather than paranormal and unexplained. Real people using current technology to destroy humanity great plot line But I wonder how many seasons it will go.

#16 SmartAlec

SmartAlec

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (TabbyJack @ Sep 10 2008, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was wondering when this thread would appear. I liked it alot and hope that it stays around a bit longer. It reminded me more of 4400 detectives and lost with the directing that whole blank out the screne bit. Like the idea of science based rather than paranormal and unexplained. Real people using current technology to destroy humanity great plot line But I wonder how many seasons it will go.

I'm pretty sure if they wanted to they could resolve it in 22 eps... but it best be resolved then, me needs to know what The Pattern really is.

Posted Image
Fifty years from now, when you look back at your life...
don't you want to be able to say you had the guts to get in the car?

Girls like to be called beautiful more than they like to be called hot

#17 deadeyeduck

deadeyeduck

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (St_Bernard @ Sep 10 2008, 12:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fair enough, even though The X-Files did have it's share of 'scientific' episodes (Soft Light is a good example), you have to admit that on a basic level, it's a very similar premise. FBI investigates strange cases outside of the Bureau's norm. Certainly there is enough there to distinguish itself from the X-Files.

There's an interview floating around somewhere with JJ Abrams where he's asked what the difference is between The X-Files and Fringe. He jokingly says there's no difference.

Posted Image

#18 eber322

eber322

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,073 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE (deadeyeduck @ Sep 10 2008, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He jokingly says there's no difference.

What makes you think he was joking? This is pretty much a straight copy.
Posted Image

#19 EPG20

EPG20

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 661 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:23 AM

well, for the most part, i liked it, but there were many things that i didn't like,

1. yes i hated the title cards, it just seemed a little stupid to me.

2. the relationship with the black guy who offered her the job, just an un necessary diversion, when it came to those situations, i just zipped over them just not worth it, it would have ben better later on.

3.at more than one time. it looked like they were shooting an art film, the chase through the warehouses, the office at the corperation just so un-necessarly grandios, when i saw it, i almost turned it then and there, that is why i stopped watching charlie jade.

but ,yes all in all it seemed like an x files episode, and uh.... well, i think it is worth another view, not hating it, i give it a 5.5-6out of 10.

#20 deadeyeduck

deadeyeduck

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 02:29 PM

QUOTE (eber322 @ Sep 11 2008, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What makes you think he was joking? This is pretty much a straight copy.

Just his phrasing. The interviewer asks "So what is the difference between Fringe and The X-Files?" and then JJ says "Well X-Files wasn't on Fox...oh wait yeah it was...****. No, there's no difference."

Seemed like a joke to me. I think he openly admits though it's the X-Files for a new generation.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users