• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 Niko2012

Niko2012

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 06:59 PM

I want to know if what I'm watching on Ghost Hunters is real, authentic, no special effects or anything, ghosts/paranormal things. Or is everything staged (staged very well) and its just entertainment?

I'm looking for a straight forward answer, not some wall of text saying it 'might' be fake or true.

Edit: I've been watching Ghost Hunters for a few months now, I'm not just some person who found out about this show and is going to watch it whether its real or fake. Whichever it is, its not stopping me from watching it every Wednesday.

#2 angela1977

angela1977

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:09 PM

I now have the Paula Abdul song Straight Up Now Tell me song in my head.
Posted ImagePosted Image
[size=5]~Angela

#3 Niko2012

Niko2012

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:10 PM

Lol is that a bad thing or good thing? happy.gif

#4 angela1977

angela1977

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (Niko2012 @ Oct 9 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol is that a bad thing or good thing? happy.gif

BAD--very VERY bad ;-)
Posted ImagePosted Image
[size=5]~Angela

#5 Niko2012

Niko2012

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (angela1977 @ Oct 9 2008, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BAD--very VERY bad ;-)

Uh-Oh! tongue.gif

Anyways, on topic. What's your input on the REAL topic? (Not Paula's song)

#6 angela1977

angela1977

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (Niko2012 @ Oct 9 2008, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Uh-Oh! tongue.gif

Anyways, on topic. What's your input on the REAL topic? (Not Paula's song)

I prefer to stay on the topic of Paula's song, if it's all the same ;-) The REAL topic has been discussed on just about every thread in one way or another. The long and short of it is some people believe it's real, others believe it's staged. I believe it's both. I think they have some real experiences (or used to anyways) but the further we get into the seasons, the more and more staged I think it becomes. I hope that answers your question. How about you, what are your thoughts?
Posted ImagePosted Image
[size=5]~Angela

#7 angela1977

angela1977

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:24 PM

Hi Sith!
Posted ImagePosted Image
[size=5]~Angela

#8 sith13

sith13

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (Niko2012 @ Oct 9 2008, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I want to know if what I'm watching on Ghost Hunters is real, authentic, no special effects or anything, ghosts/paranormal things. Or is everything staged (staged very well) and its just entertainment?

I'm looking for a straight forward answer, not some wall of text saying it 'might' be fake or true.

Edit: I've been watching Ghost Hunters for a few months now, I'm not just some person who found out about this show and is going to watch it whether its real or fake. Whichever it is, its not stopping me from watching it every Wednesday.

It's real, IMO. But that's just me. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (angela1977 @ Oct 9 2008, 07:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Sith!

Hi Angela. Long time, no see. happy.gif
Posted Image
Every Thursday from 9-11 pm Eastern/6-8 pm Pacific on http://ztalkradio.com/

Posted Image

#9 Dreamsinger

Dreamsinger

Muppet of Science

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,099 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (Niko2012 @ Oct 9 2008, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd say staged for entertainment (See links in my siggy). If it wasn't then why haven't they made any advancement in paranormal research? After all, they've been doing it for long enough that they shouldn't have to say "The theory is....", they should be able to say "We've found.... and here's the evidence", which could then be put out there for peer review.

#10 LiteraryOne

LiteraryOne

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (Niko2012 @ Oct 9 2008, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Straight up I totally think it is all fake!!

It is a Television program meant strictly only for entertainment purposes only!!

Boy I think I have typed that about 20 or 30 times.....Maybe I should just put in my siggy????

Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 CplUseless

CplUseless

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 04:22 AM

first off, this is my first post but i have been checking out this forum since the begining of last year. i've been watching the show for about 3 years now also. i enjoy all the opinions and views of the show from all you peeps.

that said,

i believe it is a show made for entertainment and to make revenue for a cable channel. it is not live, and it is edited by another party who is not TAPS (Pilgrim). that is where my questions with the show come in. i do not know who is in on the final editing and how that editing is done, but what i do know is that it is done for entertainment and to keep you watching.

i also believe TAPS originally started with the intention of putting a real investigative effort out there. but recently, have started down a slippery slope. IMO, the investigations have started leaning towards gimicky and flashy techniques that aren't just attributed to the editing anymore. now maybe its not as bad as the show Most Haunted (which i can not stand), but this is the slippery slope i am refering to. i think they need to clean up their invesitgative techniques or i will really start to question the evidence they are coming up with.

i really do enjoy the team and the places they visit, and that is my main reason for watching. as for real or fake, i think it is a little of both. i believe there are some real pieces of evidence found by TAPS. but due to some editing after the investigation, review, and reveal there is some fake entertainment added in the editing.
Posted Image

#12 wendypan

wendypan

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:27 AM

It is unfortunate that any real evidence they might uncover is dismissed because of all the glitzey fake stuff that is put out there as real.

When I first started watching the show and learned about their website I was all excited thinking I could see links to what they found on the website. I couldn't find any. It is possible that in the year since I stopped looking at the TAPS site that they have added evidence [have they?] but I don't think they have. Every other paranormal investigation team has every EVP, video and photo of what they even remotely think is evidence, posted on their sites, why not TAPS?

The recent flashlight adventure is evidence that they fake it. You never see the flashlight turn on OR off on camera. The camera is always focused on something else at both critical times. Now, I am going to make an assumption here. I have no evidence to support my assumption but I am going to put it out anyway.
Assumption 1: TAPS really is trying to gather REAL evidence
Assumption 2: They want said evidence on camera

Conclusions based on assumptions and what I watched:
IF, as a valid investigator, you had just witnessed a paranormal phenonomem of the level of an entity turning on AND off a mechanical device at your request and at your demand would you not ream out the cameraman who just happened to NOT catch BOTH events? Would you let that lapse slip by without even a comment? Jay and Grant both seemed to not be bothered. Kinda like they expected it.
We love Ghost Hunters. Where else could we use our critical thinking skills while in the comfort of our comfy chairs? Where else could we spot fraud without leaving the safety of our living rooms? Where else could we practice our debunking abilities [like J and G claim to do]? Late night infomercials perhaps. But I don't stay up that late.

EVERY VALID PARANORMAL GROUP POSTS EVERY BIT OF EVIDENCE THEY COLLECT. WHY NOT TAPS?

Here's a bit of advice that recent episodes make me think TAPS needs to learn: TELL THE TRUTH, IT'S EASIER TO REMEMBER.

#13 rubber65soul

rubber65soul

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (Niko2012 @ Oct 9 2008, 07:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The show is as real as Pamela Anderson's boobs..

#14 orbes

orbes

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 09:02 AM

it is 100% really fake. That's JMO. I still like to watch it B/C Joe Chin is the man and Steve is HOT
What?

#15 LiteraryOne

LiteraryOne

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

QUOTE (rubber65soul @ Oct 10 2008, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ROFLMAO!!!!

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 rubber65soul

rubber65soul

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

QUOTE (LiteraryOne @ Oct 10 2008, 01:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ROFLMAO!!!!
What ? I was being serious... * takes out bicycle air pump*

#17 Gary101

Gary101

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 12:36 PM

QUOTE (wendypan @ Oct 10 2008, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is unfortunate that any real evidence they might uncover is dismissed because of all the glitzey fake stuff that is put out there as real.

When I first started watching the show and learned about their website I was all excited thinking I could see links to what they found on the website. I couldn't find any. It is possible that in the year since I stopped looking at the TAPS site that they have added evidence [have they?] but I don't think they have. Every other paranormal investigation team has every EVP, video and photo of what they even remotely think is evidence, posted on their sites, why not TAPS?

The recent flashlight adventure is evidence that they fake it. You never see the flashlight turn on OR off on camera. The camera is always focused on something else at both critical times. Now, I am going to make an assumption here. I have no evidence to support my assumption but I am going to put it out anyway.
Assumption 1: TAPS really is trying to gather REAL evidence
Assumption 2: They want said evidence on camera

Conclusions based on assumptions and what I watched:
IF, as a valid investigator, you had just witnessed a paranormal phenonomem of the level of an entity turning on AND off a mechanical device at your request and at your demand would you not ream out the cameraman who just happened to NOT catch BOTH events? Would you let that lapse slip by without even a comment? Jay and Grant both seemed to not be bothered. Kinda like they expected it.

Maybe they are as cynical as people make them out to be. I dont know. Wish I could get a behind the scenes glimpse once to see if it is blatantly staged and manipulated. Its clear that they havent found any real evidence because if they did as weve posted a million times, it would be super hot news, they would want to try to duplicate the incident and call in other parties to back them up. It would be like me saying," I talked to a green martian last night, but Im not sure if itll be there tonight (yawn). However seeing it was fairly interesting and I might go back and talk to it again. Oh well. On to the next case!"

No way would I act like that. I would be jumping up and down with excitement and contacting everyone I know to witness the phenomena too to back me up. Im a skeptic so I obviously wouldnt believe any of the stuff they claim without really extraodinary proof.

There are sites where critics have analyzed their work and they seem to point to a few cases that suggest collusion, possibly outright faking. I want to believe that its the producers forcing them to do that. Most of the other things which critics point to , I tend to believe its just extreme sloppiness, I give them the benefit of the doubt, that they arent blatantly faking everything. I think they are just believers. A lot of believers tend to not know where reality leaves off and fantasy begins. They have preconceived notions, beliefs in the paranormal and their investigations are mainly for social reasons, to meet with other believers, and to try to justify their beliefs which they do by not rigorously elminating all the obvious normal explanations, but by quickly jumping to a supernatural one after quickly dismissing the obvious explanations.

Theres that strange blurring of fantasy and reality.

#18 UlsterBaz

UlsterBaz

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (rubber65soul @ Oct 10 2008, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But i've never wanted to fondle ( or even make videos with ) Jason or Grant to see if they're genuine. I have with Pam. biggrin.gif

#19 LiteraryOne

LiteraryOne

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,890 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (UlsterBaz @ Oct 10 2008, 12:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But i've never wanted to fondle ( or even make videos with ) Jason or Grant to see if they're genuine. I have with Pam. biggrin.gif

ROFLMAO!!!

Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 wendypan

wendypan

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 05:13 PM

They do have time constraints and maybe they do follow up stuff we don't know about. I want to believe. I would like to believe that the stuff they put out there as paranormal is truely paranormal and then they go and pull the stunt with the flashlight. They really slipped up with that and that only indicates that other times they have managed to pull one over without it being so darn obvious.
We love Ghost Hunters. Where else could we use our critical thinking skills while in the comfort of our comfy chairs? Where else could we spot fraud without leaving the safety of our living rooms? Where else could we practice our debunking abilities [like J and G claim to do]? Late night infomercials perhaps. But I don't stay up that late.

EVERY VALID PARANORMAL GROUP POSTS EVERY BIT OF EVIDENCE THEY COLLECT. WHY NOT TAPS?

Here's a bit of advice that recent episodes make me think TAPS needs to learn: TELL THE TRUTH, IT'S EASIER TO REMEMBER.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users