Photo
- - - - -

TAPS isn't fake. At least, not completely.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 ilalaloveit

ilalaloveit

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:19 PM

I first started reading about all of this 'fake' stuff right after the live show on Halloween, and yeah I was pretty disappointed. I was even ready to stop watching Ghost Hunters cause I just didn't trust them anymore.

I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read, though. Today I was talking to my piano teacher, and as it turns out, she's a hardcore ghost hunter. She showed us a picture of her with Jason, and she's even been on a ghost hunt with them. Granted, I don't know how long ago it was, but the picture looked pretty recent. I may have just found out she's a serious ghost hunter, but if she knows Jay and Grant and says they're legit, I'll believe her, especially if she's been on a ghost hunt with them.

The collar thing may have been fake, and that EVP sounded a little suspicious to me. But if I blame anyone, it's the SciFi channel, or whoever ran the live show.

#2 Blkops

Blkops

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (ilalaloveit @ Nov 13 2008, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I first started reading about all of this 'fake' stuff right after the live show on Halloween, and yeah I was pretty disappointed. I was even ready to stop watching Ghost Hunters cause I just didn't trust them anymore.

I guess I shouldn't believe everything I read, though. Today I was talking to my piano teacher, and as it turns out, she's a hardcore ghost hunter. She showed us a picture of her with Jason, and she's even been on a ghost hunt with them. Granted, I don't know how long ago it was, but the picture looked pretty recent. I may have just found out she's a serious ghost hunter, but if she knows Jay and Grant and says they're legit, I'll believe her, especially if she's been on a ghost hunt with them.

The collar thing may have been fake, and that EVP sounded a little suspicious to me. But if I blame anyone, it's the SciFi channel, or whoever ran the live show.

I don't believe that anyone is disputing that they're Ghost Hunters...it's their recent methods that are in question. I think that
they keep stuff to a mininum depending on who they have around.

Also, welcome to the forum.

#3 sympathyforthedevil

sympathyforthedevil

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (ilalaloveit @ Nov 13 2008, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Welcome to the forum.

Enjoy the show!

#4 MysticalKnight

MysticalKnight

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,069 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (ilalaloveit @ Nov 13 2008, 03:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A ghost hunting piano teacher ... sweet!

Welcome.

#5 Editor30fps

Editor30fps

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 340 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 07:36 PM

You can't really blame SciFi. They just buy the show from Pilgrim and sell the advertising for breaks. The show is too popular for them to stick their fingers where they don't belong. I think it's Pilgrim or at least they're in on it because some of their camera angles are just too conveniently placed to catch certain things. Especially the "flying hanger". The 2nd time the hanger flew, it fell right in center frame - just as if the shot had been blocked out.

Welcome to the forum - a lot of people joining today. smile.gif

I am therefore I edit.
Posted Image

#6 CynicalCat

CynicalCat

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:07 PM

The problem is that if even ONE piece of evidence is fake -- then everything they do is suspect. Everything. You can't have it both ways and expect to be taken seriously by anyone.

I also don't think it's accurate to blame Sci-Fi or even to blame Pilgrim solely... many of the suspicious incidents seem directly related to the members of TAPS -- meaning the evidence looked to be faked BY a TAPS member. That's not Pilgrim coercing someone and it's not them adding it with special effects in the editing room -- that's actual people doing something to fake evidence. Let's put the blame where it belongs. :-)
Don't pull the wool over your own eyes.

#7 cjmouser

cjmouser

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (CynicalCat @ Nov 13 2008, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem is that if even ONE piece of evidence is fake -- then everything they do is suspect. Everything. You can't have it both ways and expect to be taken seriously by anyone.

I also don't think it's accurate to blame Sci-Fi or even to blame Pilgrim solely... many of the suspicious incidents seem directly related to the members of TAPS -- meaning the evidence looked to be faked BY a TAPS member. That's not Pilgrim coercing someone and it's not them adding it with special effects in the editing room -- that's actual people doing something to fake evidence. Let's put the blame where it belongs. :-)

Yeah but , I think that there are extenuating circumstances. That Halloween show was a circus. How can any type of serious investigation be performed with people all over the place? There's no telling why they did what they did. Could be pressure, who knows. I think they're good guys and saying all evidence before and forever after is suspect, is like throwing the baby out with the bath water. I'm still not ready to abandon them. I remember some really good shows in the past and if anybody else has been watching since day one and seen repeat after repeat, watching re-runs of GH over new shows of anything else, you'd know why I feel the way I do. There has been some evidence in the past that I believe could not be faked. Tomorrow after I've slept, I'll come up with a few.

#8 aFaceOnMars

aFaceOnMars

Minbari

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 320 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (cjmouser @ Nov 13 2008, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah but , I think that there are extenuating circumstances. That Halloween show was a circus. How can any type of serious investigation be performed with people all over the place? There's no telling why they did what they did. Could be pressure, who knows. I think they're good guys and saying all evidence before and forever after is suspect, is like throwing the baby out with the bath water. I'm still not ready to abandon them. I remember some really good shows in the past and if anybody else has been watching since day one and seen repeat after repeat, watching re-runs of GH over new shows of anything else, you'd know why I feel the way I do. There has been some evidence in the past that I believe could not be faked. Tomorrow after I've slept, I'll come up with a few.

CJ, I stole this link from Dreamsinger but it is a very telling look behind the scenes of a typical GH shoot. Things did not go well....

http://theouijaboard...a-roux/#more-41
You Want Some Salsa With That Cowbell?

Being an honest man in a den of thieves is not an enviable position.

#9 Dreamsinger

Dreamsinger

Muppet of Science

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 12,099 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (Editor30fps @ Nov 13 2008, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can't really blame SciFi. They just buy the show from Pilgrim and sell the advertising for breaks. The show is too popular for them to stick their fingers where they don't belong. I think it's Pilgrim or at least they're in on it because some of their camera angles are just too conveniently placed to catch certain things. Especially the "flying hanger". The 2nd time the hanger flew, it fell right in center frame - just as if the shot had been blocked out.

Welcome to the forum - a lot of people joining today. smile.gif

I agree about SciFi, except for the Halloween episodes with the cross promotion. Those ones seem to have a lot of influence from SciFi. According to J&G, who say they had nothing to do with tampering the thermal footage in the Manson Murders episode, Pilgrim is definitely a lot of the shenanigans.

#10 CynicalCat

CynicalCat

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE (cjmouser @ Nov 13 2008, 10:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been watching GH since the first episode. I have seen every episode. I actually LOVE the show -- it's very entertaining to me. However, I believe that TAPS has no integrity and have actively and blatantly faked "evidence."

Now, you say there's no telling why they did what they did -- it could be pressure etc from outside sources (Pilgrim, etc). Well, I say -- if you are an honest person, a person with integrity, a person honestly eager to advance the field of paranormal investigation then you don't give in to pressure. You just do not give in. Period. If they are people of integrity and Pilgrim (or whoever) came to them and asked them to fake evidence -- then people of integrity would have told them to take their money and take a long walk off a short plank.

I'll play Devil's Advocate for a moment here... even if TAPS was 100% free of any wrong-doing I think it would be impossible for Pilgrim (or whoever) to fake the kind of evidence we see on the show without TAPS' knowledge. Absolutely impossible. So even if that is the case, they have the responsibility to say NO THANKS to the money and the fame and step aside and be honest.

But they're not. They're taking the money, capitalizing on their fame and pulling the wool over their fans' eyes. That's bad enough... let's not pull the wool over our own eyes.

Don't pull the wool over your own eyes.

#11 DPD11

DPD11

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 02:18 AM

QUOTE (CynicalCat @ Nov 13 2008, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The channels will often say they'll keep out of it, and that can be the way an agreement is written. But most companies will bow to pressure on some level. Not only because of the show at hand, but more because of what might happen down the road in terms of other shows. Most shows don't last long. Production now days is much more diverse than it use to be. Independent companies are working on tons of different things, where as in the old days, you might have one group of producers do a single show in their whole career. Shows also had a much bigger audience back then, which gave the creators more power. Nowadays, shows can get the boot no matter who is behind it. So if somebody from the channel calls up the company... They aren't going to bother with details in most cases, but they might hint at what they would like to see happen in general. Then it's up to the company as to how that will be handled. Based on the star power of the people on the show, you might have them flat out tell them exactly what they're going to do if they're a nobody, and they'll just have to do it... Or in the case of people who have built up more star power like Jason and Grant, they would 'suggest' they do something. But in their case, they have enough power that they could absolutely control what they are involved in themselves at this point. If they asked one of the lower members to do something and they refused, yes, they could get the boot. But if Grant and Jason refused, they would not. So really the responsibility or decision to fake things ultimately landed at their feet.

I think it comes down to two average guys looking to turn a hobby into a career, and they were fairly honest to start. Most people who are into this stuff aren't going to be social butterflies to begin with... You aren't going to see Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton ghost hunting. So two guys go from doing everyday stuff and a hobby, to being TV stars. Now ghost hunting maybe doesn't seem so exciting anymore, but being a TV personality sure is... So that becomes the priority. But ironically, it's the hobby that got them there. Which is a mistake that's been made in Hollywood ever since it began... People forgetting where they came from. It's happened to a lot bigger people than these guys.

#12 wendypan

wendypan

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 08:13 AM

You say she has been on a hunt with them but you do not say what her opinion of them is. I bet a lot of people's opinions would be different if they actually went on a hunt with TAPS without signing a non disclosure document. Who knows, maybe the ones they don't film they don't pull the fakes.
We love Ghost Hunters. Where else could we use our critical thinking skills while in the comfort of our comfy chairs? Where else could we spot fraud without leaving the safety of our living rooms? Where else could we practice our debunking abilities [like J and G claim to do]? Late night infomercials perhaps. But I don't stay up that late.

EVERY VALID PARANORMAL GROUP POSTS EVERY BIT OF EVIDENCE THEY COLLECT. WHY NOT TAPS?

Here's a bit of advice that recent episodes make me think TAPS needs to learn: TELL THE TRUTH, IT'S EASIER TO REMEMBER.

#13 GettysburgGhostHunter

GettysburgGhostHunter

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (wendypan @ Nov 14 2008, 09:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You say she has been on a hunt with them but you do not say what her opinion of them is. I bet a lot of people's opinions would be different if they actually went on a hunt with TAPS without signing a non disclosure document. Who knows, maybe the ones they don't film they don't pull the fakes.

I'd also like to know how much her piano teacher had to pay to go on this ghost hunt with them. Their schedual is written out on the TAPS website and they have a lot of booked ghost hunts. How much did that picture with Jason cost her? Is it autographed? They do nothing for free anymore.
Remember the only paranormal evidence that you can believe is that which you find yourself.

#14 rubber65soul

rubber65soul

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (GettysburgGhostHunter @ Nov 14 2008, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd also like to know how much her piano teacher had to pay to go on this ghost hunt with them. Their schedual is written out on the TAPS website and they have a lot of booked ghost hunts. How much did that picture with Jason cost her? Is it autographed? They do nothing for free anymore.
True.... Imagine paying these guys to go look for Ghosts ? They'd have trouble finding water in a boat..

#15 anabolic

anabolic

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:46 AM

QUOTE (DPD11 @ Nov 14 2008, 02:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The channels will often say they'll keep out of it, and that can be the way an agreement is written. But most companies will bow to pressure on some level. Not only because of the show at hand, but more because of what might happen down the road in terms of other shows. Most shows don't last long. Production now days is much more diverse than it use to be. Independent companies are working on tons of different things, where as in the old days, you might have one group of producers do a single show in their whole career. Shows also had a much bigger audience back then, which gave the creators more power. Nowadays, shows can get the boot no matter who is behind it. So if somebody from the channel calls up the company... They aren't going to bother with details in most cases, but they might hint at what they would like to see happen in general. Then it's up to the company as to how that will be handled. Based on the star power of the people on the show, you might have them flat out tell them exactly what they're going to do if they're a nobody, and they'll just have to do it... Or in the case of people who have built up more star power like Jason and Grant, they would 'suggest' they do something. But in their case, they have enough power that they could absolutely control what they are involved in themselves at this point. If they asked one of the lower members to do something and they refused, yes, they could get the boot. But if Grant and Jason refused, they would not. So really the responsibility or decision to fake things ultimately landed at their feet.

I think it comes down to two average guys looking to turn a hobby into a career, and they were fairly honest to start. Most people who are into this stuff aren't going to be social butterflies to begin with... You aren't going to see Lindsay Lohan or Paris Hilton ghost hunting. So two guys go from doing everyday stuff and a hobby, to being TV stars. Now ghost hunting maybe doesn't seem so exciting anymore, but being a TV personality sure is... So that becomes the priority. But ironically, it's the hobby that got them there. Which is a mistake that's been made in Hollywood ever since it began... People forgetting where they came from. It's happened to a lot bigger people than these guys.

very, very well said dpd11.

Kris is hot, and she ghost hunts...sort of. but then I find out that she is an actress and a model, and now i know why she is on the show.

Same thing with Grant and Jason. As much as I love these "normal" guys, they are both writers of fantasy and Sci-Fi, with a show asking for credibility and be taken seriously on THE SCI-FI CHANNEL!

And Jason and Grants "reveal" into being "approached" to put this series on TV just stunk it up for me. (Or was that the bean burrito?)

#16 GettysburgGhostHunter

GettysburgGhostHunter

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE (anabolic @ Nov 14 2008, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
very, very well said dpd11.

Kris is hot, and she ghost hunts...sort of. but then I find out that she is an actress and a model, and now i know why she is on the show.

Same thing with Grant and Jason. As much as I love these "normal" guys, they are both writers of fantasy and Sci-Fi, with a show asking for credibility and be taken seriously on THE SCI-FI CHANNEL!

And Jason and Grants "reveal" into being "approached" to put this series on TV just stunk it up for me. (Or was that the bean burrito?)

Not only was Kris there for sex appeal but they even stated that Steve and Tango are the comic relief for the show. "Laurel and Hardy" to be exact. I know there seems to be a rise in the "bring Brian back" camp, but lets face it Brian was there for only one reason too. Stress, he was constantly being yelled at by Jason and defended by Grant, good cop, bad cop situation. They all play their parts and I'll give them credit they do play them well.
Remember the only paranormal evidence that you can believe is that which you find yourself.

#17 Unicorn0

Unicorn0

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 09:57 AM

This is the same complaint about Most Haunted. The places they go to is really haunted. I guess they create things to keep the viewership up. All these shows do it. Ghosts don't pop up when you want them to. I think someone should just start a show with just camera's & other equipment setup all over a place being investigated for a week or two. See what they get. And, there's your show.

Best Ghost Movie: The Haunting (1963)

#18 anabolic

anabolic

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (GettysburgGhostHunter @ Nov 14 2008, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not only was Kris there for sex appeal but they even stated that Steve and Tango are the comic relief for the show. "Laurel and Hardy" to be exact. I know there seems to be a rise in the "bring Brian back" camp, but lets face it Brian was there for only one reason too. Stress, he was constantly being yelled at by Jason and defended by Grant, good cop, bad cop situation. They all play their parts and I'll give them credit they do play them well.

yes, yes...and what is the deal with Steve? He is afraid of everything known to man, was supposedly a police officer, but yet somehow has no fear of the boogeyman? What is the background on him? he seems young, so he must not have been a cop for very long.

And whatever happened to Tango's original partner in his NJ ghost hunting outfit?

I always wonder how these guys can manage to commit to driving all around the country for days on end, but how do they hold a job?

after the "reveal" and posts on this site, it must be from the $$$ earned being on the show that they don't have to work.

#19 GettysburgGhostHunter

GettysburgGhostHunter

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE (Unicorn0 @ Nov 14 2008, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the same complaint about Most Haunted. The places they go to is really haunted. I guess they create things to keep the viewership up. All these shows do it. Ghosts don't pop up when you want them to. I think someone should just start a show with just camera's & other equipment setup all over a place being investigated for a week or two. See what they get. And, there's your show.

Actually a friend of mine commented at the begining of this season that Ghost Hunters has started to mimic Most Haunted in a few respects. Knocking on things for one example.

I like that show idea and I'll take you up on it. Now we just need a production company who is willing to be 100% honest. I'm headed to ghost hunt in Gettysburg this weekend hopefully I find proof so I become famous and can get that show off the ground. But I won't hold my breath. rolleyes.gif

#20 anabolic

anabolic

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (Unicorn0 @ Nov 14 2008, 09:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...and you bring up another interesting point that has always bothered me. Yes, one night is not going to duplicate the phenomena.. a week would be much better, come back, review and edit the film/EVP/etc, and present it.

In fact, why not have several sites being shot simultaeneously (sp?), and then discuss with the property owners.

But, I guess that would be too true and not dramatic enough.

"Provoke" spirits. give me a break...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users