2 replies to this topic

#1 GuardStar

GuardStar

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

Does anyone know if there is a Land of the Giants movie in discussion or in the making? With todays CGI tech, such a movie would look infinitely more realistic even then the "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" effects. I'm not so sure I'd like to see a new TV series about it but a movie about them landing, experiencing the world of the giants and then fixing the ship and returning to Earth would be pretty good...even if they had to do a sequel movie to make it back home, I'd still go see it. I loved the original series... the ladies were gorgeous, the concepts behind their plight were revolutionary and it looked like Irwin Allen took the special effects tech and the given budgets of the day to the limits in making the show.

I was a kid when the show first came out and like every kid who seen the series, we use to pretend that WE were the giants chasing the little people. My word I'm showing my age!...LOL laugh.gif

Best regards,
GuardStar
Warriors of Light

#2 LaJaDiSc

LaJaDiSc

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE (GuardStar @ Nov 19 2008, 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does anyone know if there is a Land of the Giants movie in discussion or in the making? With todays CGI tech, such a movie would look infinitely more realistic even then the "Honey I Shrunk The Kids" effects. I'm not so sure I'd like to see a new TV series about it but a movie about them landing, experiencing the world of the giants and then fixing the ship and returning to Earth would be pretty good...even if they had to do a sequel movie to make it back home, I'd still go see it. I loved the original series... the ladies were gorgeous, the concepts behind their plight were revolutionary and it looked like Irwin Allen took the special effects tech and the given budgets of the day to the limits in making the show.

I was a kid when the show first came out and like every kid who seen the series, we use to pretend that WE were the giants chasing the little people. My word I'm showing my age!...LOL :lol:

Best regards,

I loved this show as a kid. Reading your post made me curious if anything was in the works and I came up with nothing. I did find pretty good LOTG fan site: http://www.iann.net/giants/ with convention info and cool pics. The IMDb entry also has many entries in its' forum, some even discussing a desire by fans for a remake: http://www.imdb.com/...tt0062578/board Personally, I would like to see more original productions made. Too often, remakes tend to taint the memory of the classic. If one were to be made, would they address the science properly? Weaker gravity might explain how giant humanoids could exist in a world while appearing so similar to our own. This would give the humans (our people) an ability to jump proportionately higher and further, maybe even kick some giant @$$! That's off the top of my head. What do you think?

#3 GuardStar

GuardStar

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 139 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:26 PM

QUOTE (LaJaDiSc @ Nov 19 2008, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I loved this show as a kid. Reading your post made me curious if anything was in the works and I came up with nothing. I did find pretty good LOTG fan site: http://www.iann.net/giants/ with convention info and cool pics. The IMDb entry also has many entries in its' forum, some even discussing a desire by fans for a remake: http://www.imdb.com/...tt0062578/board Personally, I would like to see more original productions made. Too often, remakes tend to taint the memory of the classic. If one were to be made, would they address the science properly? Weaker gravity might explain how giant humanoids could exist in a world while appearing so similar to our own. This would give the humans (our people) an ability to jump proportionately higher and further, maybe even kick some giant @$$! That's off the top of my head. What do you think?

Sounds great! I think the special effects they used for the sort of formless energy mass the ship passed into, they used in the original series lent itself to the likelyhood it was some sort of alternate dimension where the physical properties of matter were completely different than ours which would, however present itself with similar problems the shrunken scientists in Fantast Voyage had if they stepped out of their ship to try to breath our air...the molecules wouldn't fit in our avioli and we'd basicly sufficate...not to mention eventually starve to death since the food wouldn't work either.

However, for the sake of a good movie, they may not quibble over certain physical properties though I do offer a solution to the molecule problem...simply hypothesize that the atoms and molecules are the same size as ours but other "unknown" physical factors, possibly lower gravity values, exist allowing the super-sized planet and giants to exist at the same time allowing the travelers a habitable place to live until they can leave.

I do like the concept you mentioned that the little people could potentially have all the strength equal to the giants proportionally, giving them a slight advantage in a scrape. The original Land of The Giants is definitely a first class classic science fiction show of the first magnitude but it would be nice to see some POSITIVE artistic license taken if a movie was ever made.

Best regards,
GuardStar
Warriors of Light

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users