11 replies to this topic

#1 DarkThoughts

DarkThoughts

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:28 AM

I've just finished watching HBO's "Carnivale" on DVD and I have to wonder what happened to get that show cancelled. I put it on my Blockbuster list after seeing that it had a 4 1/2 star rating and lots of positive reviews from fans, and I went into it not really knowing what to expect. I was skeptical to begin with never really caring for stories centered around the 30's era, but by the end of the first disc, I was hooked on the show and agreed that a 4 star rating was accurate.

The series was cancelled after the 2nd season and the ending created more questions than it answered.

Did any of you guys watch this show? Do you know of any future plans or have any theories on the storyline?

#2 moobg

moobg

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:54 PM

I think it's low ratings that did it in. It was also a fairly expensive show to produce.

And it's one of my all-time favorite shows. O_o

If I remember correctly, the show was meant to run for 6 seasons, with the 6 seasons being split into 3 different segments (think 3 books in a trilogy). The first two seasons were basically the first book, which is why it has such an open-ended...er...ending. There had been rumours of HBO greenlighting a movie or mini-series to give it some sort of satisfactory conclusion, but since so much time has passed since the show was cancelled, it doesn't look likely.

Then again, Dead Like Me got a movie, so who knows?

Carnivāle really was a fantastic show, but like many of the other fantastic shows of recent years, viewers don't seem to want to watch anything with intelligent writing or top notch acting.

I mean, has there ever been another show/movie with a better, classic tale of Good vs. Evil?
Posted Image

#3 DarkThoughts

DarkThoughts

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (moobg @ Nov 29 2008, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Carnivāle really was a fantastic show, but like many of the other fantastic shows of recent years, viewers don't seem to want to watch anything with intelligent writing or top notch acting.

I mean, has there ever been another show/movie with a better, classic tale of Good vs. Evil?

I wish you were wrong, but I fear intelligent writing has given way to much simpler programming, mostly through Reality TV and all of the "drama" usually associated with such shows.

I can't think of a better "classic" tale of Good vs. Evil, but I do like the current take that the CW's Supernatural is running with. I also enjoyed The Prophecy Trilogy. wink.gif

#4 Podi2

Podi2

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

QUOTE (moobg @ Nov 29 2008, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's low ratings that did it in. It was also a fairly expensive show to produce.

And it's one of my all-time favorite shows. O_o

If I remember correctly, the show was meant to run for 6 seasons, with the 6 seasons being split into 3 different segments (think 3 books in a trilogy). The first two seasons were basically the first book, which is why it has such an open-ended...er...ending. There had been rumours of HBO greenlighting a movie or mini-series to give it some sort of satisfactory conclusion, but since so much time has passed since the show was cancelled, it doesn't look likely.

Then again, Dead Like Me got a movie, so who knows?

So True! cool.gif
Age of Aquarius: 2012

Live every moment, of every day, as if it was your last day on Earth. Yesterday is gone, Tomorrow is not here, but Today is NOW!

Peace!

#5 Podi2

Podi2

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE (DarkThoughts @ Nov 27 2008, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've just finished watching HBO's "Carnivale" on DVD and I have to wonder what happened to get that show cancelled. I put it on my Blockbuster list after seeing that it had a 4 1/2 star rating and lots of positive reviews from fans, and I went into it not really knowing what to expect. I was skeptical to begin with never really caring for stories centered around the 30's era, but by the end of the first disc, I was hooked on the show and agreed that a 4 star rating was accurate.

The series was cancelled after the 2nd season and the ending created more questions than it answered.

Did any of you guys watch this show? Do you know of any future plans or have any theories on the storyline?

Yeah I watched it when it ran on HBO on Sunday nights. Very good program. But it was not for the......well....those who don't have a long attention span and not use to heavy thinking to follow the plot lines. It was definitely a "brain teaser". wink.gif
Age of Aquarius: 2012

Live every moment, of every day, as if it was your last day on Earth. Yesterday is gone, Tomorrow is not here, but Today is NOW!

Peace!

#6 St_Bernard

St_Bernard

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

Yes I loved this show and so ****** that they canceled it and left it the way they did.

I remember reading the scifi wire news, that HBO felt there was nothing else to tell. wacko.gif
Between the world we see, and the things we fear. There are doors. When they are opened, nightmares become reality.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Jake has been saved, thanks Ron, and MrsRon. Thanks all for signing the petition ! Click here to see.

#7 DarkThoughts

DarkThoughts

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:56 AM

Nothing else to tell? What the frak?!?

I've seen entire seasons of shows stick around with less to tell in the entire series than Carnivale offered in a few episodes. One of the things that made it great was the constant introduction of new questions waiting to be answered, much like LOST.

#8 DarkThoughts

DarkThoughts

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:58 AM

QUOTE (Podi2 @ Dec 2 2008, 09:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I watched it when it ran on HBO on Sunday nights. Very good program. But it was not for the......well....those who don't have a long attention span and not use to heavy thinking to follow the plot lines. It was definitely a "brain teaser". wink.gif

I hate stupid people. dry.gif

#9 budgethero

budgethero

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:58 AM

aww dont say that. i was really interested wen they showed the previews back then. but now im scared cause u said its like lost. please say its not like lost. take it back, take it back.

#10 DarkThoughts

DarkThoughts

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (budgethero @ Dec 3 2008, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
aww dont say that. i was really interested wen they showed the previews back then. but now im scared cause u said its like lost. please say its not like lost. take it back, take it back.

blink.gif huh.gif biggrin.gif tongue.gif

#11 moobg

moobg

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (budgethero @ Dec 3 2008, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL. It's not like Lost.

It is heavily serialized and it has a large cast, but it's not SciFi...nor does it leave a whole bunch of questions unanswered...uhh...for the most part. blink.gif
Posted Image

#12 DarkThoughts

DarkThoughts

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (moobg @ Dec 3 2008, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LOL. It's not like Lost.

It is heavily serialized and it has a large cast, but it's not SciFi...nor does it leave a whole bunch of questions unanswered...uhh...for the most part. blink.gif

Someone once said that the difference between Science Fiction and Fantasy is that Science Fiction requires an explanation as to why it works; with fantasy, the only explanation needed is "magic".

Sorry if I scared some people. Wouldn't be the first time though, and probably not the last. wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users