• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#41 jrsilverdragon

jrsilverdragon

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:26 AM

Some one here argued that shows like ghost hunters classify as Sci-fi due to the fact that its a show based on the science of the paranormal. True and I think there is space in the realm of Sci-Fi channel for the branching out to Paranormal Like the one and only Ghostbusters Definitly a Sci-Fi Show. The only problem is the FICTION part of Sci-Fi. Reality shows are not fiction its based on reality. So I think we can have 1 day to show Science Fact like ghost hunters or other show not really Fiction but still with in the realm of Science/Fantasy. Some shows have no business on Sci-Fi Channel like that stupid Wrestling. But Cha$e a good concept executed poorley is very much a Sci-Fi show much like a reality show TRON that sucked. Cha$e's only draw back was there was no action its just fancy Tag. Esatate of Panic though is an excellent show branching to the Fear based part of Sci-Fi. True It would be more appropriate on say Spike TV or another channel but if lined up with Ghost Hunters would make it better.

I say there is room for a few shows like ghost hunters and estate of panic but not wrestling and dont over due it at the cost of true Sci-Fi.
"Death of Sci-Fi starts with SyFY".

#42 PriestCometh

PriestCometh

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:38 AM

Its fear based sci fi

#43 PriestCometh

PriestCometh

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (lonegnat @ Dec 3 2008, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to agree! These reality shows are bad enough, but, Sci Fi channel is not the place for this cr**. "who wants to be a superhero" was stepping low, and now this?? I'm about ready to have Satellite turned off, and rent movies or watch what I want from the internet!

It is a good program. Maybe you should turn off satellite, call and talk to an actual girl,
get out of your captain kirk underoos and stop speaking Klingon.

It is a show based on the fear side of sci fi.

lol

#44 imme1234eopghtz

imme1234eopghtz

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:56 PM

oh my gosh... really? i cant believe someone has that low of a self esteem to do something so stupid but i guess thats just how low lifes are now oh well i think you should get a life because this show is awesome!!!!!!

#45 Lcolon

Lcolon

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 06:23 PM

Explain to me how the study of the paranormal isn't science fiction related? The definition of science fiction is not time traveling through the universe to stop evil aliens from taking over the world. Science fiction is something that draws on scientific speculations and the unexplained. I think Ghost Hunters fits that definition quite well, just as much as any other show.

Estate of Panic deals with the aspect of fear and how it affects our abilities to perceive and manage. While it may not fit the definition quite as well, it is still something that legitimately falls under the category of science fiction.

Old must be replaced with new. Nothing will last forever. No matter how good something is, it gets old after awhile. The definition of science fiction has expanded, and Sci-Fi is trying to appeal to different audiences.

If you have such a problem with these shows, go rent some Star Wars at blockbuster and watch that instead.

The definition of Fiction:
a. An imaginative creation or a pretense thatdoes not represent actuality but has been invented.
b. The act of inventing such a creation orpretense.
c. A lie.
d. A literary work whose content is produced by the imagination andis not necessarily based on fact.
Add science infront and…well you get it.

A couple of plumbers with TVrepair equipment hunting for ghosts do not constitute the study of the paranormal.That is done in a controlled environment to eliminated contamination that would otherwise be mistaken for activity. But, in a way you're right, it is fiction,but they are trying to pass it on as real. So by proxy, the program does not meet the criteria of science fiction. There are exceptions to the rule, but nothere.

To be fair, I don't necessarily feel that Ghost Hunters should be taken off the SyFy channel—though many of my colleagues would disagree with me—even if it's not in category to the channel, it's just that there are way too many reality shows, and way too many really bad Shark, Croc and Snake flicks on the channel that are just fiction and nothing to do with science .SyFy has lost the spirit of the definition of what Sci-Fi is.
Luis A. Colon
Connecticut Process & Special Services, LLC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users