• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 demoore1969

demoore1969

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:38 PM

This show along with ghost hunters and Chase are not sci fi programs, and they suck. Please don't destroy the sci fi channel with fake reality shows etc. other channels are doing. We want sci fi on the sci fi channel. Please remove these stupid progams from this channel.

#2 lonegnat

lonegnat

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:03 AM

I have to agree! These reality shows are bad enough, but, Sci Fi channel is not the place for this cr**. "who wants to be a superhero" was stepping low, and now this?? I'm about ready to have Satellite turned off, and rent movies or watch what I want from the internet!

#3 hylander59

hylander59

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:41 AM

QUOTE (demoore1969 @ Dec 2 2008, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This show along with ghost hunters and Chase are not sci fi programs, and they suck. Please don't destroy the sci fi channel with fake reality shows etc. other channels are doing. We want sci fi on the sci fi channel. Please remove these stupid progams from this channel.

The only thing I would add to this statement is BRING BACK THE GREAT SHOWS YOU CANCELED to make room for these inappropriate shows.
thanks 'demoore'1969.

#4 Rozan

Rozan

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:23 AM

Explain to me how the study of the paranormal isn't science fiction related? The definition of science fiction is not time traveling through the universe to stop evil aliens from taking over the world. Science fiction is something that draws on scientific speculations and the unexplained. I think Ghost Hunters fits that definition quite well, just as much as any other show.

Estate of Panic deals with the aspect of fear and how it affects our abilities to perceive and manage. While it may not fit the definition quite as well, it is still something that legitimately falls under the category of science fiction.

Old must be replaced with new. Nothing will last forever. No matter how good something is, it gets old after awhile. The definition of science fiction has expanded, and Sci-Fi is trying to appeal to different audiences.

If you have such a problem with these shows, go rent some Star Wars at blockbuster and watch that instead.
Roan: The Arbiter Of Time

#5 Eibon

Eibon

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:41 PM

Such a compelling case made by the OP. rolleyes.gif

I haven't watched chase nor will I.
Estate of Panic has very little to do with the paranormal and more with people's fears and the unknown, but lets face it this isn's Sci-FI ( I still do enjoy this show though.)
Ghost Hunters: Wait, what!? So a show where they investigate the paranormal, using scientific methods isn't sci-fi? This show deals with things beyond the realm of normal and not completely in the realm as fantasy as it still is based in the laws and rules of our universe and INVOLVES SCIENCE. That is like almost the very definition of Sci-fi!

If you don't like a show don't watch it and if enough people agree with you it will be canceled because no one will want to market for a show with low ratings.
The general response to Estate of Panic from what I have heard has been very positive. I agree it really doesn't fit with sci-fi but its a hilarious show and its not the dread "reality tv" Granted it is REAL and it is on TV, but back in the days they calleed programs like this Gameshows -- maybe that was before your times but its a decent show and its fairly clever with the traps and the secrets they leave within the rooms for people to use their wits to get extra money and hopefully win assuming they don't get overly greedy.

But yea I agree it doesn't fit but hey their channel but hey this is cable after all -- 500 channels of nothing! You get what you pay for smile.gif

#6 Zodden

Zodden

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:32 PM

Its better than wrestling at least biggrin.gif

But seriously lets face it, this network is going for a teenage demo now. I have read the posts from the peeps who say they really like this and I'll bet not one of them is over 21.

Its still called Sci Fi network but more and more in name only except for 1-2 scripted shows
Posted Image

#7 Eibon

Eibon

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:43 PM

QUOTE (Zodden @ Dec 5 2008, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But seriously lets face it, this network is going for a teenage demo now. I have read the posts from the peeps who say they really like this and I'll bet not one of them is over 21.

Its still called Sci Fi network but more and more in name only except for 1-2 scripted shows

I very much enjoy the show and am over 21. I guess your theory is flawed. I guess those "peeps" are more than teenagers.

#8 MeddlesomeMant

MeddlesomeMant

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:05 PM

QUOTE (Zodden @ Dec 5 2008, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Or they still have the mentality of a teenager and the last book they read was probably in high school.

#9 LaLas25

LaLas25

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:03 PM

I actually really hate Estate of Panic. I think that is is in poor taste and the quality is terrible. I honestly don't unterstand how they let this be put on the Sci-Fi Channel at all. I love Ghost Hunters and I've never seen Chase, but Estate of Panic is terrible. The "contestants" aren't even good reality show actors. I think that this show would be better on a different channel or canceled all together. It's not worth wasting an hour on a good channel. I can't wait for this one to go.

#10 Gary101

Gary101

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (demoore1969 @ Dec 2 2008, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, as posted in numerous threads --- the chance of that is really low. I would say it was close to zero but you never know since things can change quickly in this business. The rating for I think EOP was 1 in the first blurb I saw from Sci Fi Wire which sounds kind of low but then the recent one I think listed it as improving to 1.2 which is getting into the respectable range. When you consider its a brand new show and GH and other shows had much lower ratings than they get now that doesnt seem too bad. Nowadays they regularly hit 1.5-1.7 and recently have hit 2s. So its still too early to say with the new game shows.

The format doesnt seem to have the legs of a GH where the gossip aspect can keep it going for several years, but it may hit respectable 1.3-1.5 levels eventually for a while. GH still seems like its hot --- 1.7 and 2.2 recently. So considering that GH and GHI are the best performing shows and probably cheaper than BSG other scripted shows, I dont see any sudden changes coming in the near future since all the talk is about moving even further away from pure Sci Fi.

It would all depend on whether theres a big drop off in the coming year for GH and GHI and probably more importantly, EOP and CHASE just not catching on and staying in the 1 rating range. Then they might re-think their commitment to game style reality shows but I doubt that would affect their plan to implement more reality shows, if they are cheaper to produce and can result in a possible 1.5-1.7 rating result.

#11 MoMoMojito

MoMoMojito

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (Eibon @ Dec 4 2008, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Such a compelling case made by the OP. rolleyes.gif

I haven't watched chase nor will I.
Estate of Panic has very little to do with the paranormal and more with people's fears and the unknown, but lets face it this isn's Sci-FI ( I still do enjoy this show though.)
Ghost Hunters: Wait, what!? So a show where they investigate the paranormal, using scientific methods isn't sci-fi? This show deals with things beyond the realm of normal and not completely in the realm as fantasy as it still is based in the laws and rules of our universe and INVOLVES SCIENCE. That is like almost the very definition of Sci-fi!

If you don't like a show don't watch it and if enough people agree with you it will be canceled because no one will want to market for a show with low ratings.
The general response to Estate of Panic from what I have heard has been very positive. I agree it really doesn't fit with sci-fi but its a hilarious show and its not the dread "reality tv" Granted it is REAL and it is on TV, but back in the days they calleed programs like this Gameshows -- maybe that was before your times but its a decent show and its fairly clever with the traps and the secrets they leave within the rooms for people to use their wits to get extra money and hopefully win assuming they don't get overly greedy.

But yea I agree it doesn't fit but hey their channel but hey this is cable after all -- 500 channels of nothing! You get what you pay for smile.gif

Dude you are pretty full of yourself, studying ghosts and things like this are so sci-fi and Estate of Panic and Cha$se are sci-fi because they are based on things that don't happen in real life, thus the name of the channel science-fiction. Duh. Its ment to make you think and kind of freak you out so just chill out and leave it alone. ^^

#12 Kamchadie

Kamchadie

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:34 PM

rolleyes.gif

In response to demoore1969, I've never been into reality shows. I never watched Survivor, but Estate of Panic is becoming the only reason besides Ghost Hunters I am watching the Sci-Fi Channel. Steve Valentine's witty comebacks to his contestants (even if pre-written) have me rolling out of my seat laughing every time I watch it. I understand your want for sci-fi to stick on the sci-fi channel, but give us who love this show our time like we've given you yours. cool.gif

#13 stacylynn79

stacylynn79

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

QUOTE (Zodden @ Dec 5 2008, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Really?

QUOTE (MeddlesomeMant)
Or they still have the mentality of a teenager and the last book they read was probably in high school.

Wrong again.

I'm neither a teenager, nor younger than 21. In fact, I'm a few months shy of 30 and working on my master's degree and I LOVE THIS SHOW! When you look at it, insulting people is quite high school-ish and I'm sure you can get your point across without insulting people, assuming you have a point. Last book I read? I'm currently reading Jane Austin's Persuasion. It's required reading in some university classes, but I'm reading it leisurely.

Whether or not someone likes this show is actually a matter of taste, rather than immaturity of lack of education which the two of you seem to presume. I like reality TV, although not as much as I used to. In fact, Cha$e and EoP is what got me to watching the Sci-fi channel and checking out its other shows, other than that I wouldn't watch Sci-fi.

SCI-FI: Thank you! I'm enjoying the two new reality game shows!

#14 entertheestate

entertheestate

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:00 PM

your a dumb ***. this and cha$e are the only shows i watch on scifi. plus it isn't a reality show. it's a game show, duh! im sorry your tin man and gay ***** got canceled for shows younger people look forward like me. the sci fi channel needed show that the public could participate in. also they needed shows that you can watch any episode without having to watch from the beginning.
estate of panic + cha$e party game designer

#15 MeddlesomeMant

MeddlesomeMant

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (entertheestate @ Dec 11 2008, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
your a dumb ***. this and cha$e are the only shows i watch on scifi. plus it isn't a reality show. it's a game show, duh! im sorry your tin man and gay ***** got canceled for shows younger people look forward like me. the sci fi channel needed show that the public could participate in. also they needed shows that you can watch any episode without having to watch from the beginning.

People who don't know the difference between "your" and "you're" shouldn't attempt to insult other people's intelligence. Thank you for being a perfect example of my previous post though.

#16 bf6067

bf6067

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

I have to completely disagree with you. I know there is a lot of hubbub lately about Ghost Hunters being fake but I also know that I have learned a lot about my own personal experiences thanks to Ghost Hunters. As for Who Wants to be a Superhero, I thought the show was great and where else would you expect such a show. Not all Sci-Fi shows are my cup of tea but this is where I would expect to see them. This show, I might agree would be best on a reality channel which to my knowledge does not exist. This show would do better if it was more Science Fiction oriented. In any case, it is still fun to watch. I am still wondering whatever happened to Flash Gordon.

#17 brina3000

brina3000

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:32 AM

why?whats so bad about estate of panic??????

#18 brina3000

brina3000

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:39 AM

hey, some people actually like estate of panic.so to some people that is offensive.

#19 ghostmagnet64

ghostmagnet64

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:53 AM

QUOTE (MeddlesomeMant @ Dec 6 2008, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am 44 and I watch GH. It's entertaining, it's about ghosts and Steve has gorgeous legs!!I have an above average I.Q. and the last book I read dealt with historic American architecture&its adaptations throughout the history of America; read it 2 weeks ago.I have a Live Life mentality, a Can't we all just get along mentality; if thats juvenile then I suggest you try it, because last time I checked the SciFichannel sure isn't the place for close-minded openmouthed cynics.Maybe you should stick to local news. wink.gif

#20 1mathfun

1mathfun

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

Oh my, how to begin? I find all the "name calling" a bit unnecessary. There seems to be some strong feelings on these shows. I don't care for Ghost Hunters, Cha$e, Estate of Panic so I don't watch them. I have seen Ghost Hunters and found it just silly(IMO). The other two, I didn't like the premise of the show so I haven't watched. My only view of a show is not Science Fiction is ECW. Cable has a lot to offer, and there are other channels that show science fiction shows besides the SciFi channel.
There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and
Those who don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users