#161 midshiftbrigwatch

midshiftbrigwatch

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

Wow. I haven't been on here since 2007.

I was part of the big wave of Mansquitos that showed up on the forum after the excitement of the 'bucket drop' in S2.5. Hung out with Cafsiopeia, ViperChic, Chewbekah, WakaWaka, Wahaa! (thirty iterations of Wahaa! that is...), GoonSquad, Dickie Hertz, Viper1, Wingnut622, Sephiroth144, CobraCommander, Frackitall, LurkerKing, JungleBoot, Archimedes, PubliusClaudius, Boozy, Ambrosia Stims, Wolfpack, Zorya, elbe, Goliath, Raymond Shaw (Sean, R.I.P. brother- you inspired me to learn to wield the power of the animated GIF. Can't believe it.), eternalkerri, Malcolm XII, and tons of other good folks who had fun watching this crazy thing for a while. I also was cordial with most of the TOSsers and Moist board "trolls", who in fairness wanted something specific that just wasn't going to happen, but took a Browncoats' stand to get it anyway, and I salute that. It was a furious campaign, but it wasn't exactly ugliness- it was opposing opinion, strong and uncompromising- and no forum since Rome has been without that. Nor should it. Sure, Languatron was a nutjob, sworn by himself to destroy NBC/Universal by any quixotic means necessary, but even the other "trolls" thought he was a nightmare; he made his own board where only he was able to join, post, or read posts for crying out loud!

Most of the above mentioned went and played on Moctezuma's Frakheads! for a while after we got fed up with this board's constant banhammerization and the show's increasingly wayward direction in S3 & 3.5. We wanted canon continuity, respect for the characters, and answers, dammit, not political noodling and the reboot-of-the-week. And, we wanted to talk freely about whatever. You can't do that always on a public, commercial board.

Along the way, I got a question answered by Helo and the Chief on a podcast (although Mrs Ron screwed up my name, grrr), posted photos in the Military thread, tried to work out the possible reality behind resurrection tech, and photoshopped a ton of stuff- banners for the J-pack and various Fleet Wheat Squadrons, the HELO: Wussiness Evolved banner mentioned above (made expressly for Cafsiopeia), Colonial Marine recruitment posters, alternate Saul Tigh eyepatches in Goliath's formerly-stickied thread, and a little mini-show thing called "Down In The Dumps With Saul Tigh", which I linked in the second post below. I waded through political flamewars over the show's upside-down analogy of New Caprica as Iraq, and quit the boards when I was activated to go to the real Iraq, which was much better than New Caprica BTW.

Most importantly, and the reason I will always have a soft spot for this dumb board, is that I found love here. Yep, it's true... Cafsiopeia and I discovered each other, realized how similar we are, and have had a lasting, loving relationship in real life since 2006. I guess I have to thank NBC for that, which is totally weird.

So thanks Skiffy, and thanks to all the old-timers whose names I can't recall. Here's a couple of my favorite fanarts (feel free to steal away!), and my sincere hope that something half as interesting as the first 2.7 seasons of BSG will someday spring, Greek epic-style, from the bloody stump of Skiffy's (Syffy's?) head.

-Scott

P.S. Cafs and I did catch up with all of Season 4, and we liked it. A return to form and a respectable conclusion. Good job, Ron and everybody. Thanks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#162 midshiftbrigwatch

midshiftbrigwatch

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:21 PM

CONTINUED!!! SQUEEE!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And last but not least, a link to the complete volume of "Down In the Dumps... with Saul Tigh!" Enjoy.

http://forums.syfy.c...pic=2255259&hl=

Thanks again!

#163 ZelenyPika

ZelenyPika

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

I was SGKoneko before Scifi screwed up everyone's accounts and locked them too(Good times!). I guess they didn't like the fact I had 19k posts.

I was particularly fond of the general aspect of getting together and using the forums as a method to get to know people with similar interests. There were a lot of active members back in the ye olden times and I almost wish to return to a similar atmosphere.

Somehow though Scifi changing its name to something far more reminiscent of Syphilis deters me somewhat and lack of time once the new semester rolls around.

I hope if any of the older members are still here, they are doing well and continuing the fine tradition.
I hope the newer members are doing the same. <_<
Posted Image

#164 StarbuckingViper

StarbuckingViper

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 01:18 AM

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I wish I had found your great forum earlier! A sci fi fan since I remember myself, I can only say I'm happy to be here!

#165 NikkiFM

NikkiFM

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,530 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 07:58 PM

Omg How I miss the old days
The pants party
My Nuggets
and my personal fave the bomb thread
The days of Free FREELANCER I will never forget!!
<3
Posted Image

#166 ladyartist

ladyartist

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,609 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:38 AM

I miss this place. Everyone here was so nice to me and we had a lot of amazing awesome times. I became a member back in 2005 but didn't get the nerve to post until 2007. I landed in the Katee Sackhoff appreciation thread and posted how much I enjoyed her as Starbuck. I met the Nuggets and decided to make them my forum family. I miss them and wish we could go back to those fun times. After the horrible forum problems in 2008 I migrated with the spanks to their home and still stop in when I can. I am ladyartist aka FreakyStuffSpank and I miss you.

LA=Freaky Stuff

#167 ArwenOfTrek

ArwenOfTrek

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 01:01 AM

I guess I'm one of those for whom you guys started this thread. I watched the entire series on DVD starting in the summer of 2009 (and ending very shortly thereafter).

I was just coming off of a science fiction hiatus that lasted from the summer of 1996 through January of 2007. The hiatus was taken for 2 different reasons that happened back to back - I did not have television 1996-200?, and then my husband was trying to break me from being a Trekkie... He took up hunting/guns late 2006; I took back up Star Trek.

Started going back into Star Trek by tuning in to DS9 reruns on Spike and ended up watching the last half of season 7. Very confusing joining at that point, but I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT!!

Found a Star Trek discussion group - TrekSpace. Nothing like that had existed back when I was a Trekkie before, and I loved doing that! On it, someone recommended that if I loved DS9, I would probably enjoy BSG, and so I started Netflixing it.

Eventually, I couldn't wait the length of time between sending one DVD in and receiving the next one, so I bought the entire series - which my husband said was a complete waste of money (because he didn't believe in buying TV series).

Actually, my husband (the one who banned me from science fiction for several years) really liked it and looked forward to the next DVDs as well! He actually watched it with me and didn't surf around looking at gun stuff at the same time! Very impressive! (Although he did pretend to shoot Cylons with unloaded guns; our hobbies were joined!)

Since I had enjoyed TrekSpace so much, ever since I started watching BSG (and getting completely hooked on it!), I have been searching for a BSG discussion group! I have finally found one, and I doubt it gets much action any more as the show has been over for more than a year now... Posted Image

So, I am very, very sorry I missed out on all your wonderful discussions! It looks like you all had a really good time here, and I'm sure I would have as well. I will probably go back and look through old posts (as I am doing now), but knowing that I will not really get any real interaction... Oh well, I'm sure I'll enjoy going back and imagining myself being involved...

#168 DYoung

DYoung

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:23 PM

Hey cylonhybrid here,
This thread might take off or not but I'd thought I'd leave something here so in like 5 years in th future when no one uses the bsg board anymore, we might leave a comment about ourselves and our memories to look back on and remember the days of bsg

This will be the peak of the boards popularity before the end { the boards last golden age} so I thought I'd put this out there.

Feel free to comment about anything.... memories on the board, people you enjoyed talking to, past members etc.

Most of the members will be goin to the caprica forum as well as hanging around other forums established around this one such as

1. TeamSpank
2. The bamberbunnies
3. Moist board
4. The 13th tribe
5. Frak
6. Facebook
and others

#169 Shaphie

Shaphie

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 02:17 PM

Max Bell was one of the best. Rest in Peace.

http://socialnetwork.../03/it-aint-me/
Posted Image

PaleMoonlight : Well, if it is any consolation, you are almost as unpure as Dogger and Mrs. Ron.

#170 Roslin_is_gorgeous

Roslin_is_gorgeous

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,865 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

Wow my account still works here.

I logged in for the first time in ages after finding out another old regular Max Bell died recently. A lot of us regulars from back in BSG's original run still kept in contact over twitter and Facebook even when this place lost it's sheen. Max Bell was an awesome guy, a big fan of Romo and Baltar and I got to talk to him over twitter a fair bit. It's not going to be the same without him.

RIP Max

#171 LurkRealClose

LurkRealClose

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,746 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

Rest In Peace, Max Bell, my friend.

LRC

Posted Image

PJ: Okay is supposed to be OKAY, okay? Mrs. Ron: Believe it or not I just had to clean the butts of eight baby chicks. maxbell: Filling out insurance paperwork is like playing D&D with really boring dragons.

The Ever Elusive Moosicorn of Myth Avi by LittleSpank, Banner by utkari02

#172 djkatraine

djkatraine

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:22 PM

Looking for Col. Tigh. Gotta have a drink with the old goat.
Posted Image

#173 AthenaDelphi

AthenaDelphi

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:12 PM

I didn't think my account worked EITHER! Thanks NBC.
Well, what to say? I'm an old lady now (ha ha). I watched the show but I lived for the boards. The interactions, the ever changing alliances/friendships that sprung up then disappeared like mist with various posts. People announced marriages, deaths, asked for advice on dating, argued politics by using BSG as a metaphor for what was going on during that time. We argued about environmental policy, workers rights, the military (in general), civilian angst, heaven, hell, morality, bioethics, what makes a person a person, AI's, etc. Everyone had an opinion and this board, at that time, was the place to be, in the trenches, as the FLEET trudged onward.
Writing this now, pulls at the memories I'd rather let go. Bittersweet.

At times, when I think of the boards, all the time and effort put into this show's boards, I wish SyFy would somehow compile a book with each chapter title a thread -having the artwork, the creativity, the angst, the ingenuity, that was each of us. Then it should be digitized with one copy sent off toward the living starts in the universe - as a time capsule - in case nobody makes it off this planet, - there will be a record of all of us, at that time.

I found a few pictures that I had saved, some artwork, and so I'm going to put them in here: Before you view them I just want to say, I not only miss the show, I'm selfish enough to admit, I miss my life back then, even though I lost my mother and swore I wouldn't be writing, but it was the writing on the boards that saved me. I'm selfish enough to admit that maybe I'm not as creative as I once was, Selfish enough to admit that time has passed and I miss the past. I think these years were the best of me, when I was on fire with life. Now - 2011 - its a different world. Like having been through a war, or having PTSD, its just different and not the same. It moves too fast or I'm too slow. As I said, I think these years rank up there with the best star points of light.

Ok. Enough of the melancholy. Here's some blasts from the past. And remember FWSABS = Friends Who Stuck Around Between Seasons.

[

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

and just for MrsRon since I am still her court jester with my sceptre shaking at the multitudes of various varmints that have taken over the throne room (I can't keep them out MrsRon....I need more spaghetti sauce in the KITCHEN so they're localized) I give you her 2 icons as ruler of the Mrs Ron threads:

Posted Image - with her ruling sceptre

Posted Image - for the holidays
"My God, Its Full of Stars!" - Dave Bowman 2001 Space Odyssey

ON A LONG ENOUGH TIMELINE, THE SURVIVAL RATE FOR EVERYONE DROPS TO ZERO
- zerohedge

#174 CylonGod

CylonGod

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:31 AM

I didn't know this still worked either. Still does and even saved my old sig.
Ragnar Anchorage has beeen reactivated. To see it click my sig. Still had a lot of fun on here during the shows run.
To see an awsome BSG site click my banner!
Posted Image??

#175 StyloMercenaire

StyloMercenaire

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

I remember back to and mostly hung out at the Nugget Mental Hospital/Katee Sackhoff Appreciation thread.

I see a lot of those people on Facebook still but am still over at TeamSpank.

Come and say hey to us if you plan on going to Dragon Con. We will be the cool ones there.

If anyone is looking for TeamSpank after the hacker problem with the old board, it has moved to TeamSpank

Posted Image

#176 frakkedinmi

frakkedinmi

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,283 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:28 PM

Wait, what??? Max died?

#177 MissMeggles

MissMeggles

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,275 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:01 PM

Wait, what??? Max died?

Yes, I am sorry to say. His lungs just gave out-poor soul. I miss him- I do believe you can find some of his writings through his twitter account, which was also Max Bell.
Posted Image

The man in black fled across the desert, and the Gunslinger followed. Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Dreamers give way to and embrace the story, escapist's need the details.

#178 SciFiJackAlom

SciFiJackAlom

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:39 PM

I missed this board, missed all the cool people I interacted with, I even miss my old handle. May Raymond Shaw rest in peace, the man was absolutely awesome even if I only knew him from his posts.
"Let us not dwell upon our differences, but marvel at our similarities."

#179 bleddyn_1

bleddyn_1

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 04:59 PM

Yes, I am sorry to say. His lungs just gave out-poor soul. I miss him- I do believe you can find some of his writings through his twitter account, which was also Max Bell.

I never posted here much, just did alot or reading which inevitably meant reading alot of Max's posts. I was just looking around because my wife and I had been going through the series again last week. Sorry to hear of Max's passing.

#180 LurkRealClose

LurkRealClose

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,746 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:39 PM

I remember back to and mostly hung out at the Nugget Mental Hospital/Katee Sackhoff Appreciation thread.

I see a lot of those people on Facebook still but am still over at TeamSpank.

Come and say hey to us if you plan on going to Dragon Con. We will be the cool ones there.

If anyone is looking for TeamSpank after the hacker problem with the old board, it has moved to TeamSpank

Thanks! I was, actually, looking for that.

And I will be at Dragon Con.

LRC

Posted Image

PJ: Okay is supposed to be OKAY, okay? Mrs. Ron: Believe it or not I just had to clean the butts of eight baby chicks. maxbell: Filling out insurance paperwork is like playing D&D with really boring dragons.

The Ever Elusive Moosicorn of Myth Avi by LittleSpank, Banner by utkari02

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users