143 replies to this topic

#1 themanwithoutapast

themanwithoutapast

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 526 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:06 AM

Not in a heartbeat. And I guess among the 38,000 people I could find a couple of thousands as well, who would agree with me. We would build a city, we would teach the indigent people how to read, write, tell them about mathematics, about books, about music and art and science. We would create a civilization. Romo and the dog and the "oh, let's just live in tents for the rest of our lives" Lee could do what they want. But I and my buddies would have created a viable city with good housing, electricity, a functioning water supply and wasterwater disposal with universal health care, education and machinery in 20-30 years.

#2 ifandbut

ifandbut

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:09 AM

I kinda agree with you there. Maybe they could have made the city Atlantis and just agreed to stay away from the rest of the people and natives.

#3 allfrakkedup

allfrakkedup

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:10 AM

QUOTE (themanwithoutapast @ Mar 21 2009, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not in a heartbeat. And I guess among the 38,000 people I could find a couple of thousands as well, who would agree with me. We would build a city, we would teach the indigent people how to read, write, tell them about mathematics, about books, about music and art and science. We would create a civilization. Romo and the dog and the "oh, let's just live in tents for the rest of our lives" Lee could do what they want. But I and my buddies would have created a viable city with good housing, electricity, a functioning water supply and wasterwater disposal with universal health care, education and machinery in 20-30 years.

You do understand that this is how they were to "break the cycle" so to speak. At least that's how I understood it.
...just a simple thinking fanboy

Wicked cool...jesus didn't even get such a awesome resurrection i think he needs to lodge a complaint.

#4 Noneofyourbusiness

Noneofyourbusiness

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:11 AM

Or try. I can see why a lot of people would go for "back to nature", but I agree that not everyone would.

#5 ephone1

ephone1

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:13 AM

Agreed! To me, this was the hardest thing to swallow. If people thought they had it bad on the ships, with food, water, medical care, booze, toilet paper - wait until they go camping the rest of their lives. It was just a pathetic concept that they would give this up. Human's don't have thick fur, claws, fangs, wings, ect. We have big brains and tools/technology, without which, we live like animals.

#6 themanwithoutapast

themanwithoutapast

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 526 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (allfrakkedup @ Mar 21 2009, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You do understand that this is how they were to "break the cycle" so to speak. At least that's how I understood it.

I know they tried to "break the cycle", I am fully aware of that. That doesn't change anything. I bet every last cent that I have that of 38,000 people not many would just give up all technology they had just because Lee wants to break "the cycle". People want birth control, health care, want pleasant housing and electricity and books and good water supply and computers and education and cities and culture etc. etc. They don't want to live in tents and see their children live in tents etc.

#7 DesertWanderer81

DesertWanderer81

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (allfrakkedup @ Mar 21 2009, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really don't buy into this. Eventually we will get back to the point where we're creating artificial intelligence again, as was stated at the end.

Lee states that we need time to mature as a people before the technology, etc. We mature as a people through society. They're basically killing off all of their culture and society and going native. This is maturity. This is a return to infantism.(did I just make up a word?)

#8 destinite

destinite

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (DesertWanderer81 @ Mar 21 2009, 11:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really don't buy into this. Eventually we will get back to the point where we're creating artificial intelligence again, as was stated at the end.

Lee states that we need time to mature as a people before the technology, etc. We mature as a people through society. They're basically killing off all of their culture and society and going native. This is maturity. This is a return to infantism.(did I just make up a word?)

The average lifespan of people before modern medicine, even in ancient Greece, for example, was pathetically low. Most of the Colonials are going to catch diseases from Earth II (lol...remember that show, by the way?) and die pretty quickly....in fact, probably have less resistance to the local bacteria and viruses than the Homo Sapiens and Neatherthals already there....

Sad...ten years from the events in the finale, some of the colonists (if any are still alive) are going to be like "couldn't we have kept at lease some antibiotic cultures from sick bay???"

#9 themanwithoutapast

themanwithoutapast

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 526 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:24 AM

QUOTE (destinite @ Mar 21 2009, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The average lifespan of people before modern medicine, even in ancient Greece, for example, was pathetically low. Most of the Colonials are going to catch diseases from Earth II (lol...remember that show, by the way?) and die pretty quickly....in fact, probably have less resistance to the local bacteria and viruses than the Homo Sapiens and Neatherthals already there....

Sad...ten years from the events in the finale, some of the colonists (if any are still alive) are going to be like "couldn't we have kept at lease some antibiotic cultures from sick bay???"

It tell you, 10 days after they arrived 90% of all Colonials would ***** that there is no booze around, no toilets, no electricity, no bar, no music etc. etc. Didn't anybody see the ep 3.1 and Tyrol leading the labor union against the Baltar admin?

#10 poohbearwithme

poohbearwithme

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:24 AM

I don't know if I could give it up either. I mean I like to camp but after about 3 or 4 days of it I'm ready to come home to modern conveniences. But I like the Atlantis Theory. (very clever)

#11 ModMark

ModMark

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:25 AM

QUOTE (allfrakkedup @ Mar 21 2009, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

#12 jasko_5

jasko_5

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:26 AM

I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where they abandoned food and medicine. I thought they simply let the fleet go. Nobody ever said anything about leaving behind essentials. Seems some of you are reaching a bit there. So again we are stuck in the rut of "if it didn't happen on screen, it didn't happen."

Use some common sense.

#13 bballjunkee212

bballjunkee212

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (themanwithoutapast @ Mar 21 2009, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, but you would also have incorporated a self-evidently wrong religious mythos, and an inherently corrupt political system. So we would still find ourselves in the 21st century with a sizable portion of the population fighting each other over "God" vs. "Gods," and a political class getting rich off of everybody else.

#14 allfrakkedup

allfrakkedup

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 188 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

QUOTE (DesertWanderer81 @ Mar 21 2009, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do see your point. I however do "buy into" it, it's part of the storyline that I enjoyed.
...just a simple thinking fanboy

Wicked cool...jesus didn't even get such a awesome resurrection i think he needs to lodge a complaint.

#15 themanwithoutapast

themanwithoutapast

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 526 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (jasko_5 @ Mar 21 2009, 11:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where they abandoned food and medicine. I thought they simply let the fleet go. Nobody ever said anything about leaving behind essentials. Seems some of you are reaching a bit there. So again we are stuck in the rut of "if it didn't happen on screen, it didn't happen."

Use some common sense.

Romo was going over the plan to build a city. Lee said, no "we have to break the cycle" and consequently they abandoned all technology and didn't build any city.

#16 themanwithoutapast

themanwithoutapast

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 526 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:33 AM

QUOTE (bballjunkee212 @ Mar 21 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, but you would also have incorporated a self-evidently wrong religious mythos, and an inherently corrupt political system.

So? It's better than living without toilet paper, electricity, heating, culture, books, computers, a secure food supply, a functioning health care system etc. etc. In reality the Colonials would probably have used the indigent tribes as servants after a while and through time the Colonials culture would have spread around the world. I bet 2000 years later, there would have been a functioning society on Earth including space flight vehicles.

#17 TerrierMomTwo

TerrierMomTwo

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:34 AM

We don't know WHAT they kept that was inside the ships. We know they didn't keep the big ships. They had to have taken some stuff from the ships, because all the people walking off to theire new lives on Earth were carrying large backpacks and duffels. Just because we weren't shown the Raptors dropping off supplies at the new settlements doesn't mean it didn't happen. Besides, assuming that the BSG interpretation of early human on history is correct, then Lee didn;t get what he wanted. They didn;t give up the bad. They kept it along with the good. Or human history wouldn't be the way it was and we wouldn't be what we are now. We'd all be leaving in peace and harmony which we are not.
Why, Ron, Why?!

#18 TheWalkingDude

TheWalkingDude

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:39 AM

They would all die.

I can accept angels and the divine intervention story line far more readily than the weak idea that people would willingly and in mass return to the Stone Age. Even Lee didn't sound convinced (much less convincing) when he mouthed the words.

People assume that because we are so much "smarter" than "primative" people, that we could go back to living that way whenever we want. NOT TRUE! There are complex skills needed to be a hunter, or a subsistance farmer. Skills that even 21st century westerners have lost. Remember the book/movie "Into the Wild"? They would all starve or be killed within a couple of months.

#19 TheWalkingDude

TheWalkingDude

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:43 AM

I just wish that they had shown the scene a couple of months later when the few remaining survivors cooked and ate Lee, because they are starving and because they realized this insanity was his idea. rolleyes.gif

#20 mileslegionis146

mileslegionis146

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:45 AM

QUOTE (destinite @ Mar 21 2009, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. Disease and famine would devastate the Colonists. If they built a city and worked together, then perhaps they would have had a chance. Even when they were on New Caprica they still had ships in orbit. What didn't make New Caprica work was the arrival of the cylons. They were well on the way to breaking ground on new, more permanent buildings and starting a city. Separating the groups like that just dooms them quicker.

As for
Nobody ever said anything about leaving behind essentials. Seems some of you are reaching a bit there. So again we are stuck in the rut of "if it didn't happen on screen, it didn't happen."

Use some common sense.
common sense would make me not follow someone who says, take what you can carry b/c we are going back to basics. Forget Raptors, Vipers (where'd they go btw?) and anything above what you can carry. You saw the long line at the end, as they were walking....somewhere. You have one general surgeon on this new world, in one of the camp sites, everyone else, start praying.

I'm not going to follow a storyline for 7 years and going to accept an ending where I have to put logic on the backburner. It's what he wrote, and that's that, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. A great many things were left unanswered b/c they wrote themselves into holes and couldn't wrap everything up, so they left them unanswered.

To each his own, but I wasn't happy with the treehugger ending, but that's me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users