• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#1 ConroeChris

ConroeChris

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:35 AM

Recently i began getting into the Dresden Files, on Hulu.com-However, they only have one season. I corroborated this on sci fi.com. Therefore i am wondering if and when there is going to be a season two?

#2 HauntedByBob

HauntedByBob

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (ConroeChris @ Apr 13 2009, 01:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Recently i began getting into the Dresden Files, on Hulu.com-However, they only have one season. I corroborated this on sci fi.com. Therefore i am wondering if and when there is going to be a season two?

Unfortunately never. Scifi hates us and to further insult us they're using some of the writers and cast for Warehouse 13 and they're recycling the Bob the ghost storyline only with a younger snarky, leacharous ghost attached to a wallet...

Yeah, Scifi REALLY loves the Dresden fans. They spit on us at every turn. Sorry, I'm bitter tonight.

#3 shiraziel

shiraziel

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 218 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

Despite it's high ratings and audience that grew by leaps and bounds as the show progressed, SciFi... for reasons only known to themselves... decided not to renew the show. There are a number of theories as to why and most center around Bonnie Hammer, who was the network president at the time. Ms. Hammer was obviously NOT a science fiction/fantasy fan and her selection of programming (reality shows, wrestling, etc) proved that she was attempting to lead the network away from that direction. It is also rumored that she had a disagreement with the producers/creative team behind the Dresden Files and because she did not get her way, she threw a tantrum and vowed that the show, no matter how well it might do, would never see a second season.

When the limited run of the show was over, the fans wrote letters to SciFi inquiring about the fate of the show. We were given excuse after excuse and made to wait month after month until finally it was announced (covertly, at the tail end of some other SciFi announcement) that the show would not be renewed. It was implyied that the reason was because the actor's contracts had run out, but that was a diversionary excuse meant to lay the blame on others rather than take responsibility themselves.

The fans then began a petition (which you can still sign... see the topic at the top of the forum page...) as well as a massive email and letter-writing campaign. All we recieved from SciFi has been stony silence. Not one person has recieved any response back from the network. SciFi continues to try and convince everybody, in numerous articles and interviews that the reason the show was cancelled was due to poor ratings. This is an outright LIE. The show was consistantly rated as number THREE of their shows and on at least one, possibly two occasions, beat out Battlestar Galactica for the number ONE spot.... yet SciFi continues to claim the Dresden Files was their "worst scripted failure". I guess they forgot about the dismal performance of such bombs as 'Painkiller Jane' and 'Flash Gordon'....

We fans are not giving up. Many shows have indeed been brought back after years of cancellation, so we keep trying to rub SciFi's nose in the Dresden Files every chance we get. This forum continues to stay active and there are numerous other sites devoted to the show on the internet. One of the best known and most active is dresdencity.org, which is hosted by The Blue Whale Pub, along with many other forums devoted to other supernatural shows such as Dark Shadows. Check it out!

#4 plasko

plasko

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 584 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:17 PM

Well said. It would seem that SciFi/SyFy let demographics trump ratings in their decision making.
By the way HBB. I don't think SciFi hates us,it just thinks that we are young teenage boys living in their parents basement playing video games. Now with the economy the way that it is I'm thinking they may yet again change their target demographic.

#5 HauntedByBob

HauntedByBob

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

QUOTE (plasko @ Apr 13 2009, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well said. It would seem that SciFi/SyFy let demographics trump ratings in their decision making.
By the way HBB. I don't think SciFi hates us,it just thinks that we are young teenage boys living in their parents basement playing video games. Now with the economy the way that it is I'm thinking they may yet again change their target demographic.

Actually, that was sort of the opposite. They knew the viewers were older females (I'm twenty seven and female) and they had wanted young boys. Contradicting their boasting on how Battlestar Galactica was drawing women (and for very sexist reasons they listed)

#6 muckrattmonster

muckrattmonster

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (HauntedByBob @ Apr 13 2009, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, that was sort of the opposite. They knew the viewers were older females (I'm twenty seven and female) and they had wanted young boys. Contradicting their boasting on how Battlestar Galactica was drawing women (and for very sexist reasons they listed)

Maybe the women are the only one's who have real jobs and aren't living in the basement of their parents houses playing video games, and because of that we prefer to watch science fiction TV (not reality shows) and not live vicariously through a computer generated war-torn, guitar-hero, grand-theft-auto, etc., type of life.

Posted Image

Posted Image

ReNew The Dresden Files

Return SCIENCE FICTION to the SciFi Channel

Farscape; Andromeda; Sliders; Highlander-The Series; Forever Knight; Battlestar Galactica TOS

#7 HauntedByBob

HauntedByBob

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:13 AM

QUOTE (muckrattmonster @ Apr 14 2009, 11:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe the women are the only one's who have real jobs and aren't living in the basement of their parents houses playing video games, and because of that we prefer to watch science fiction TV (not reality shows) and not live vicariously through a computer generated war-torn, guitar-hero, grand-theft-auto, etc., type of life.

Which makes me wonder why they don't seem to care about us.

#8 TheNinthDoctor

TheNinthDoctor

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

Sci Fi hates their fans, unless of course those fans watched the overhyped BSG! They have ended so many good shows...

#9 HauntedByBob

HauntedByBob

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:35 PM

QUOTE (TheNinthDoctor @ Apr 15 2009, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sci Fi hates their fans, unless of course those fans watched the overhyped BSG! They have ended so many good shows...

Tell me about it, Doctor. It's too bad we can't use your TARDIS to go back in time and save the channel.

#10 TheNinthDoctor

TheNinthDoctor

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 06:50 PM

And many other channels for that matter! TV is going down the drian in bad programming! Nothing is safe! If only I had a TARDIS.....if only....

#11 MarsMaelstrom

MarsMaelstrom

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

QUOTE (TheNinthDoctor @ Apr 15 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You know what is 'funny' about that Doc?....It still ended after a 4 year reign, lol. I know they ended on their own terms, but, perhaps, they pulled a SciFi and got tired of pleasing the Channel? laugh.gif

I am a 37 year old male. I hold a degree, work, and function quite well in social circumstances, thus....I do not fit the demo either. Every show I liked on S-whaddeva gets cut short, and movements, er...I mean MOVIES like "Shark Attack, Megalodon" get made (though obviously w/zero budget). The best run that Shi*Fi gave me was Farscape, and they still did not allow a wrap-up......

'TIL WE YELLED LONG AND LOUD ENOUGH cool.gif

IIIIIIIIIIIII, want action tonight....Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatisfaction Alright!!!

#12 Alexandria2

Alexandria2

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (muckrattmonster @ Apr 14 2009, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Regardless of our jobs and interests, we (women) spend the money in the house. My boys, (and husband, and girls for that matter) only own things I have purchased. We are the spenders. Seems to me they should be kissing up to us, not ended the shows we watch and enjoy. It wouldn't be as horrible if they could at least replace them with shows of substance. But, alas, that is too much to ask. sad.gif

#13 HauntedByBob

HauntedByBob

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (Alexandria2 @ Apr 17 2009, 09:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regardless of our jobs and interests, we (women) spend the money in the house. My boys, (and husband, and girls for that matter) only own things I have purchased. We are the spenders. Seems to me they should be kissing up to us, not ended the shows we watch and enjoy. It wouldn't be as horrible if they could at least replace them with shows of substance. But, alas, that is too much to ask. sad.gif

There's going to be Warehouse 13 but that's just Friday the 13th the series with some Dresden Files elements.

#14 Zarina

Zarina

Screaming Brain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,433 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

QUOTE (muckrattmonster @ Apr 14 2009, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excellent point! biggrin.gif Imagine - wanting to attract an audience that actually WANTS to watch the channel, who have money to spend on sponsor's products, and yet are discounted due to gender & age....Sounds like discrimination to me.

#15 Zarina

Zarina

Screaming Brain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,433 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (shiraziel @ Apr 13 2009, 09:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Despite it's high ratings and audience that grew by leaps and bounds as the show progressed, SciFi... for reasons only known to themselves... decided not to renew the show. There are a number of theories as to why and most center around Bonnie Hammer, who was the network president at the time. Ms. Hammer was obviously NOT a science fiction/fantasy fan and her selection of programming (reality shows, wrestling, etc) proved that she was attempting to lead the network away from that direction. It is also rumored that she had a disagreement with the producers/creative team behind the Dresden Files and because she did not get her way, she threw a tantrum and vowed that the show, no matter how well it might do, would never see a second season.

When the limited run of the show was over, the fans wrote letters to SciFi inquiring about the fate of the show. We were given excuse after excuse and made to wait month after month until finally it was announced (covertly, at the tail end of some other SciFi announcement) that the show would not be renewed. It was implyied that the reason was because the actor's contracts had run out, but that was a diversionary excuse meant to lay the blame on others rather than take responsibility themselves.

The fans then began a petition (which you can still sign... see the topic at the top of the forum page...) as well as a massive email and letter-writing campaign. All we recieved from SciFi has been stony silence. Not one person has recieved any response back from the network. SciFi continues to try and convince everybody, in numerous articles and interviews that the reason the show was cancelled was due to poor ratings. This is an outright LIE. The show was consistantly rated as number THREE of their shows and on at least one, possibly two occasions, beat out Battlestar Galactica for the number ONE spot.... yet SciFi continues to claim the Dresden Files was their "worst scripted failure". I guess they forgot about the dismal performance of such bombs as 'Painkiller Jane' and 'Flash Gordon'....

We fans are not giving up. Many shows have indeed been brought back after years of cancellation, so we keep trying to rub SciFi's nose in the Dresden Files every chance we get. This forum continues to stay active and there are numerous other sites devoted to the show on the internet. One of the best known and most active is dresdencity.org, which is hosted by The Blue Whale Pub, along with many other forums devoted to other supernatural shows such as Dark Shadows. Check it out!

All true. Several of us actually received a response from the studio that produced the show for Sci-Fi, which was Lionsgate, but not one single response either by mail or e-mail has ever been received from Sci-Fi. Show's how much they value their audience/customers, huh?

#16 HauntedByBob

HauntedByBob

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 18 April 2009 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Zarina @ Apr 18 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All true. Several of us actually received a response from the studio that produced the show for Sci-Fi, which was Lionsgate, but not one single response either by mail or e-mail has ever been received from Sci-Fi. Show's how much they value their audience/customers, huh?

Definitely. Meanwhile Lionsgate just put the show on youtube. And Dresden Files and Alf are the ONLY Lionsgate shows on youtube. I think that means they know it has fans.

#17 Sorrow33

Sorrow33

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

Alright, granted, I am new to Jim Butcher's the Dresden Files, and sure, I just found out about the TV show off of a streaming site, and granted, I haven't finished it yet, so yes, I may have missed a few things.

But what the balls?

Does sci/fi not care about making tons of money? Do they not care about having their ratings sky rocket?
How can they not air another season of this show? I don't know how popular the series was when it first aired, but by now it's everywhere. The books are on bestseller's tables everywhere, there is a running graphic novel, a contract has been signed with Evil Hat or something to make a tabletop RPG, Harry is rapidly advancing through the ranks of fav fantasy chars(He might have even taken Drizzt Do'Urden for number 1 by now), Jim Butcher has been asked to write comic books for ..BatMan I believe(could be wrong on the particulars there), Jim has numerously teamed with other Urban Fantasy authors(u boys at sci/fi ever hear of Anne Rice?) to write more bestselling books, eleven books into the series and its popularity has only multiplied with the release of each book, there is a long running petition signed by thousands of fans to put the show back on, and for all this time after sci/fi (quite stupidly) took the show off the air, avid fans are still keeping this forum from activity that is perilously close to daily.

BSG, X Files, Dark Angel, Star Trek, Star-Gate, and every other hit show on sci/fi didn't even dream of having so much hype from the beginning.

What more could a producer want from a show?

But like i said, I'm new to all this, so I'm sure I'm missing something like; Who cares about earning butt loads of money? Who cares about owning what promises to be the greatest show on the planet? Who cares about satifying the endless Harry Dresden addiction its readers have developed a physical dependecy for?

You're right of course. Apparently all those questions can be answered very simply.

Sci/Fi channel.
I had given up hope of ever finding an author that could captivate me so thoroughly with a story after I read Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. At least, that was until Harry Dresden took the sword of truth and sliced the balls off Richard Rahl and fed them to Mouse.

#18 HauntedByBob

HauntedByBob

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:27 PM

Correction. Syfy channel = Polish for rubbish.

#19 shiraziel

shiraziel

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 218 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

QUOTE (Sorrow33 @ Apr 20 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright, granted, I am new to Jim Butcher's the Dresden Files, and sure, I just found out about the TV show off of a streaming site, and granted, I haven't finished it yet, so yes, I may have missed a few things.

But what the balls?

Does sci/fi not care about making tons of money? Do they not care about having their ratings sky rocket?

Unfortunately, despite the fact that whileit was on air, The Dresden Files was consistantly SciFi's third highest ratings show (and this despite NO real marketing of it AND being up against football playoff games...) and even beat out Battlestar Galactica, their vaunted 'flagship show' at least once (possibly twice) to rank as NUMBER ONE. The fan following grew exponentially from week to week and the fans looked forward avidly to season two.

Why then wasn't there a second season? Depends whom you ask and when as we have gotten a whole varietyof reasons... all pretty lame if you ask me... from SciFi at any given point. They were:

1) Actor's contracts ran out (Yeah... an excuse they gave after they dithered and delayed so long so they could blame it on the actors instaed of taking the responsibility and the fan's ire themselves!)

2) The show was attracting the wrong demographic. The show attracted female fans in DROVES.... but supposedly SciFi was hoping to attract young adolescent boys (???? Like THEY were going to buy the sponsor's products? Females of the household generally make a major portion of the buying decisions and have a lot more 'disposable income'). A few months after the show had been officially un-renewed, SciFi announced they were now trying to revamp their programming to attract more of a female audience.... but still did not decide to renew The Dresden Files... a show that had already been proven to attract this new audience.

3) SciFi claimed in an article in Variety magazine that The Dresden Files was... QUOTE... "our worst scripted failure". A LIE!!!! As pointed out above, the show consistantly ranked #3 or HIGHER. They conveniently forgot all about such genuine turkeys as Flash Gordon and Painkiller Jane.... not to mention all those terrible creature-of-the-week movies they've been spewing out.

4) Now we get into the realm of speculation of the REAL reason it was cancelled.... Bonnie Hammer, the network's former president. Ms. Hammer was NOT a sciFi or Fantasy fans and consistantly made programming decisions that steered the network away from it's original genre. Rumour also has it that Ms. Hammer visited the set while the show was filming and wanted to make some changes of her own to the show. Her requests were denied by the show's producers and supposedly she threw a tantrum... and vowed that no matter how well the show did, it would neveer see a second season. Even though Ms. Hammer has been promoted and gone on to bigger and better things, she evidently still has enough clout to see that her threat is enforced by the current execs in charge. Again... this is speculation... rumour..... but we've heard it from more than one source and many give it credence.

5) Despite the letter-writing campaign, the petition and other renweal-begging strategies by the fans, including a persuasive list of reasons why the show should be given a second chance, the SciFi channel has neither acknowledged any of our letters or pleas and has consistantly ignored the Dresden fans. The going theory at this point is that they are simply too **** proud to admit they made a mistake.... and a very costly one at that. The more money, hype and fans that The Dresden Files books and it's other perifferals garner, the more they realize they are losing out by not jumping on the bandwagon and making their share of the bucks... and the dumber they feel for not renewing the show. After bad-mouthing it for so long, they would be forced to eat a LOT of 'humble pie'.... and they don't have the stomach for it.

Hope that gives you some idea of what's been going on since the show was not renewed and the reasons for it....

#20 HauntedByBob

HauntedByBob

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 06:43 PM

Very well said. I'm surprised you didn't mention Warehouse 13 and it's attempted 'Bob 2.0'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users