142 replies to this topic

#1 adamgnome

adamgnome

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:25 AM

Not sure if anyone has pointed this out already, but I felt like posting this before I forgot about it. I noticed two pretty interesting instances of symbolism showing up in Caprica. They're quite hard to catch, so I felt like mentioning it. One only appears for a brief second in the shot of the building, and is cropped out in the shot of it later on. And the second symbol was hard to notice becuase it's in the deleted scenes of the show.

Firstly, the Pentagram on the building where they test the Cylon models:

Not only does it look like the Pentagram from the Temple of Hopes, it's even in the same shape.

The next is quite obvious, but easy to miss if you never saw the deleted scene through the DVD. It also contains a bit of coy dialogue about the nature of fate. 'Even fate is the victim of chance.' Sounds a little bit like the [BSG ending spoiler] bet going on with Head Caprica and Head Baltar. ( http://www.galactica...he-fourth-wall/ )

http://www.youtube.c...?v=k6CDQy_HSCI#

This article was written at the end of Season 3, worth a read. Has pics of the Pentagram and Mandala from other episodes that you may already know of. If I have time later I could add to the Ship of Lights symbolism since season 3 too.

http://www.galactica...-galactica.html

#2 EmperorRyu

EmperorRyu

Time Lord

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:49 AM

I hope we don't go off board in here with the Chrysler Building. dry.gif Interesting as it sounds, I'm sure we can expect in some shape and form some similarities between Caprica and Battlestar Galactica. Like the V Club set in Caprica is the actual same set for the Opera House in Battlestar Galactica. There are other settled imageries too, but I'm not sure it will give any notice, just yet.

"What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason. How infinite in faculty. In form, in moving, how express and admirable. In action how like an Angel. In apprehension, how like a GOD!"

"Understanding is a three-edged sword. Your side, their side, and the truth. Your next words will decide which way this goes."

"Loyalty can't be tested by questions and answers. True loyalty can only be demonstrated through the display of manifested actions, often defiant when confronted by insurmountable obstacles in the form of confrontational and irrational enemies."

"My name is ________. I know nothing of who I am, the answer I feel is near. The defining perhaps, the final moment is close, everyone, EVERYONE, in this life knows. When the moment is before them. To turn away, is simple. To ignore it, assures survival. But it is an insult to life, because there can be no redemption, no second chance, beyond death there is nothing, just darkness, and cold. The instant of his/her existence was confirmed, every action, every breath of my life, became horrifyingly clear. He's/She's out there tonight, sending our women, our men, to that cold, dark place. And nothing, nothing will stop him/her, until I face, the moment. (After his/her death, my victory) I know now with certainty who I am. But I'll be damned if I'll ever know the point. And now, all I can ask, is who was he?, and who was she?, and what was the point?"

#3 dsgtdave

dsgtdave
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (adamgnome @ Jun 1 2009, 02:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not sure if anyone has pointed this out already, but I felt like posting this before I forgot about it. I noticed two pretty interesting instances of symbolism showing up in Caprica. They're quite hard to catch, so I felt like mentioning it. One only appears for a brief second in the shot of the building, and is cropped out in the shot of it later on. And the second symbol was hard to notice becuase it's in the deleted scenes of the show.

Firstly, the Pentagram on the building where they test the Cylon models:

Not only does it look like the Pentagram from the Temple of Hopes, it's even in the same shape.

The next is quite obvious, but easy to miss if you never saw the deleted scene through the DVD. [Slight Spoilers] Zoey and the headmaster of the school (name escapes me right now) have a scene together talking about their plan for Zoey to leave Caprica. Zoey leaves her office after kissing the ring on the Sister's finger, that is quite large and resembles the Mandala. (I have to find a screenshot of it, hopefully it gets added to the BSGWiki entry on the site) It also contains a bit of coy dialogue about the nature of fate. 'Even fate is the victim of chance.' Sounds a little bit like the [BSG ending spoiler] bet going on with Head Caprica and Head Baltar. ( http://www.galactica...he-fourth-wall/ )

This article was written at the end of Season 3, worth a read. If I have time later I could add to the Ship of Lights symbolism since season 3 too.

Could be. Could be. I think there are going to be some for sure. How much they will give us I am curious about.

#4 EmperorRyu

EmperorRyu

Time Lord

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:37 PM

I wonder if jangoisbaddest going to show up soon. He is usually on spot with this notion.

"What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason. How infinite in faculty. In form, in moving, how express and admirable. In action how like an Angel. In apprehension, how like a GOD!"

"Understanding is a three-edged sword. Your side, their side, and the truth. Your next words will decide which way this goes."

"Loyalty can't be tested by questions and answers. True loyalty can only be demonstrated through the display of manifested actions, often defiant when confronted by insurmountable obstacles in the form of confrontational and irrational enemies."

"My name is ________. I know nothing of who I am, the answer I feel is near. The defining perhaps, the final moment is close, everyone, EVERYONE, in this life knows. When the moment is before them. To turn away, is simple. To ignore it, assures survival. But it is an insult to life, because there can be no redemption, no second chance, beyond death there is nothing, just darkness, and cold. The instant of his/her existence was confirmed, every action, every breath of my life, became horrifyingly clear. He's/She's out there tonight, sending our women, our men, to that cold, dark place. And nothing, nothing will stop him/her, until I face, the moment. (After his/her death, my victory) I know now with certainty who I am. But I'll be damned if I'll ever know the point. And now, all I can ask, is who was he?, and who was she?, and what was the point?"

#5 dsgtdave

dsgtdave
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:35 PM

In the commentary (or was it an interview) they mentioned the subtle but noticeable (to the trained eye) ties that they will pass on as time goes by...

#6 EmperorRyu

EmperorRyu

Time Lord

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:39 PM

QUOTE (dsgtdave @ Jun 1 2009, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In the commentary (or was it an interview) they mentioned the subtle but noticeable (to the trained eye) ties that they will pass on as time goes by...

I think that was in commentary. I vaguely remember that being mentioned. Looks like another reviewing of the pilot again. biggrin.gif Tehehehehe.

#7 ArronInviere

ArronInviere

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:04 PM

Some of the Raiders from BSG (the smaller ones as opposed to the "heavy" Raiders), also have a pentagram shaped symbol on them.

(I don't know where the screen shot of this can be found, but on the old BSG forum there was a discussion about symbols, and in that thread someone posted a screenshot of a Raider with the pentagram shaped symbol clearly visible on the side of it.)

I'm going to have to take a close look a "Sister Clarice's" ring now, too.
It would be kind of cool to see the symbol for "The Eye of Jupiter", which was apparently also the symbol for "The Temple of the Five Priests of the One Who's name Can Not Be Mentioned", aka "The Temple of Hopes", present on her ring.

#8 ArronInviere

ArronInviere

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:14 PM

Yet another thing I've always wondered about...

What would have happened if either D'Anna or Cavil had placed their hands against the top of one of the pentagram shaped columns within in "The Temple of Five", aka "The Temple of Hopes"?

They may have functioned as nothing more than simple lecterns or podiums, a place to put notes or a hymnal, but what if they were more than that? What if they were an ancient, and possibly more advanced version of a "datafont"?
(I.e. something a Cylon places his or her palm against in order to interface with technology associated with the Temple)
That'd be kinda cool.

#9 EmperorRyu

EmperorRyu

Time Lord

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (ArronInviere @ Jun 1 2009, 05:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some of the Raiders from BSG (the smaller ones as opposed to the "heavy" Raiders), also have a pentagram shaped symbol on them.

(I don't know where the screen shot of this can be found, but on the old BSG forum there was a discussion about symbols, and in that thread someone posted a screenshot of a Raider with the pentagram shaped symbol clearly visible on the side of it.)

I'm going to have to take a close look a "Sister Clarice's" ring now, too.
It would be kind of cool to see the symbol for "The Eye of Jupiter", which was apparently also the symbol for "The Temple of the Five Priests of the One Who's name Can Not Be Mentioned", aka "The Temple of Hopes", present on her ring.

I'm not sure about the Cylon Raiders, because I noticed on Model pictures and "some" Digital Fan Made pictures having the Pentagram symbol on them. "However", I took a look at two episodes and found that there is no "Pentagram Symbol" on them, but "possibly" another symbol??? I looked at the Heavy Raiders too and found that they have a different symbol, or rather an insignia of a sort of diamond with several circular patterns in it. Here are two screenshots, . . .

Act Of Contrition

Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down

I'm not sure if the Original Series Cylon Fighters had an insignia too. I have to check up on that later. Especially with "Razor". I have my doubts on the "Pentagram on the Cylon Wings" point of view at this time.

#10 adamgnome

adamgnome

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:42 PM

Yes the Pentagram has been used since original series. It's on the CGI renderings of the new Raiders too, link lists the appearances up to season 3.

[img]http://www.galactica...agon04.jpg/img]

And I honestly didn't realize that about the V Club. Is there any other symbolism I missed? Other than the obvious throwbacks with the Cylons and ToS. It'll be great to catch all this stuff when the show actually airs.

I'm really curious as to why the pentagram exactly is the isignia for the Cylons in anyways. The article I posted does give some thoughts that make sense. It definitively makes more sense in the Reimagined series.

And the Mandala is just the moon, earth and sun....

#11 EmperorRyu

EmperorRyu

Time Lord

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (adamgnome @ Jun 1 2009, 11:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes the Pentagram has been used since original series. It's on the CGI renderings of the new Raiders too, link lists the appearances up to season 3.

[img]http://i43.tinypic.com/2zjgydz.jpg[img]

And I honestly didn't realize that about the V Club. Is there any other symbolism I missed? Other than the obvious throwbacks with the Cylons themselves. It'll be great to catch all this stuff when the show actually airs.

I disagree. No Pentagram on the Cylon Raiders or Cylon Heavy Raiders or even the Cylon Fighters in Razor. Take a look at more screen shots, . . .

Scattered

Razor

The link you provided are hacked images. The link for the listing of episodes doesn't exist. The Pentagram on the Cylon Wings are "false".

For the Opera House, it was mentioned in the DVD commentary for the Caprica pilot episode.

#12 adamgnome

adamgnome

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:02 AM

QUOTE (EmperorRyu @ Jun 1 2009, 11:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I disagree. No Pentagram on the Cylon Raiders or Cylon Heavy Raiders or even the Cylon Fighters in Razor. Take a look at more screen shots, . . .

Scattered

Razor

The link you provided are hacked images. The link for the listing of episodes doesn't exist. The Pentagram on the Cylon Wings are "false".

For the Opera House, it was mentioned in the DVD commentary for the Caprica pilot episode.

Because it's such a minor detail they didn't really need to put it on the new spaceships. I believe the CGI rendering may have been for the miniseries, or before it aired. The oldschool Raiders are the ones from 78... They put it on the side of the toy for god's sakes. All I mean, is that the pentagram was used in the old series, and used in the new series aswell. It's not like it's as important as the Mandala.

The Pentagram is in the Temple of Hopes, and on the building. The exact same shape. It's just a recurring symbol of the Cylon. Nothing more, it's pointless arguing over it.

#13 EmperorRyu

EmperorRyu

Time Lord

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:17 AM

QUOTE (adamgnome @ Jun 2 2009, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because it's such a minor detail they didn't really need to put it on the new spaceships. I believe the CGI rendering may have been for the miniseries, or before it aired. The oldschool Raiders are the ones from 78... They put it on the side of the toy for god's sakes. All I mean, is that the pentagram was used in the old series, and used in the new series aswell. It's not like it's as important as the Mandala.

The Pentagram is in the Temple of Hopes, and on the building. The exact same shape. It's just a recurring symbol of the Cylon. Nothing more, it's pointless arguing over it.

I watched the Miniseries, and there is no sight of the Pentagram on the Cylon Wings. I went frame by frame. Nothing. I think the Original Series, is just the Original Series. Nothing more or less. Ergo. No Pentagram as an insignia for the Cylons in the Re-Imagined Series. I'm not arguing, just stating the obvious.

As for it's similarities at Daniel Graystone's building of work and the Temple of Hopes, that's symbolism on the marks, but there is no current referencing to further work with at this time.

#14 adamgnome

adamgnome

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (EmperorRyu @ Jun 2 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I watched the Miniseries, and there is no sight of the Pentagram on the Cylon Wings. I went frame by frame. Nothing. I think the Original Series, is just the Original Series. Nothing more or less. Ergo. No Pentagram as an insignia for the Cylons in the Re-Imagined Series. I'm not arguing, just stating the obvious.

As for it's similarities at Daniel Graystone's building of work and the Temple of Hopes, that's symbolism on the marks, but there is no current referencing to further work with at this time.

I'm pretty sure the reason they used it for the Temple of Hopes was because of the original series though.

Sorry if I'm a bit defensive. Battlestar withdrawals and all.....

#15 EmperorRyu

EmperorRyu

Time Lord

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE (adamgnome @ Jun 2 2009, 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure the reason they used it for the Temple of Hopes was because of the original series though.

Sorry if I'm a bit defensive. Battlestar withdrawals and all.....

Probably.

It's understandable. When the first season episode comes out in 2010, we'll have more to work with.

#16 ArronInviere

ArronInviere

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:06 PM

The pentagonal symbol is present on both the raiders from the original series, and at least some of the smaller raiders of the new series.

The heavy raiders also bare the pentagonal symbol, it's just harder to spot. The symbol is located on the starboard (right) side, just next to the starboard engine nacelles. The starboard engine pair block most views of the symbol, but it's there all right.

Just me, but I believe that the green pentagon within a pentagon is in fact the symbol for the Cylon. How that relates to the building where Cylons were first developed, or the Temple of Hopes, is up for speculation at this point, but the symbol for the Cylon has been there since the original series (if not always strictly adhered to in all shots).

#17 EmperorRyu

EmperorRyu

Time Lord

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

QUOTE (ArronInviere @ Jun 2 2009, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The pentagonal symbol is present on both the raiders from the original series, and at least some of the smaller raiders of the new series.

The heavy raiders also bare the pentagonal symbol, it's just harder to spot. The symbol is located on the starboard (right) side, just next to the starboard engine nacelles. The starboard engine pair block most views of the symbol, but it's there all right.

Just me, but I believe that the green pentagon within a pentagon is in fact the symbol for the Cylon. How that relates to the building where Cylons were first developed, or the Temple of Hopes, is up for speculation at this point, but the symbol for the Cylon has been there since the original series (if not always strictly adhered to in all shots).

Those links you provide to the battlestarwiki site of the Cylon Fighter Picture, is a toy model. The Cylon Raider Picture is a digitally fan made one. If you can provide us the link to a screenshot of this Pentagram on the wings of Cylon Raiders and the Cylon Fighters in Razor, and in the series. Then we'll know it's "true". So far in my endeavors, I have yet to come across such. If it's not shown in the series, how can one claim it's there in the first place? huh.gif

#18 theenforcer2

theenforcer2

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:25 PM

QUOTE (ArronInviere @ Jun 2 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks. This helps alot. You can only see the top of the pentagon on the heavy raider, but the pentagon is very clear on the old series raiders and the new series raiders when you click on the links you provided. I was beginning to think it was a prank but now I am convinced. I just wish someone would explain why they use the pentagon and whether it in anyway relates to the Final Five or something along those lines. I wish didymos and other BSG poster would come to this forum and give their two cents worth. I am sure it will make an interesting discussion.

The Enforcer.
Posted Image

#19 EmperorRyu

EmperorRyu

Time Lord

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,660 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:28 PM

QUOTE (theenforcer2 @ Jun 2 2009, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks. This helps alot. You can only see the top of the pentagon on the heavy raider, but the pentagon is very clear on the old series raiders and the new series raiders when you click on the links you provided. I was beginning to think it was a prank but now I am convinced. I just wish someone would explain why they use the pentagon and whether it in anyway relates to the Final Five or something along those lines. I wish didymos and other BSG poster would come to this forum and give their two cents worth. I am sure it will make an interesting discussion.

The Enforcer.

I think it's from the toy manufacturing company who put it there. I still haven't found it in the series.

He still frequents in the BSG Board still. I like his postings too. happy.gif

#20 theenforcer2

theenforcer2

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,532 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 07:44 PM

Who is the toy manufacturer?

The Enforcer.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users