• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 lizzie1892

lizzie1892

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:21 AM

I really the show but wondered why Amanda Tapping used an english accent?
She's a wonderful actress but the accent wasn't really very good.

#2 SylvreWolfe

SylvreWolfe

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18,715 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:50 AM

Because she is from England and the character she plays is from England.

Thanks for specifying English, BTW. Most posts complaining about her accent say British and that is such a wide sweeping generalization that involves quite a few nations with differing accents. But then, they also have several different accents in England.

I asked a friend of mine from England what he thought of her accent. He said it sounded like someone from England who had been living in the US for awhile, and Americanized English accent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For God and Farscape---Steve Palmer
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See, falling for Farscape was easy, because Farscape was me.
---Ross Ruediger Quote site
Regardless of the snark I spew, Ben Browder is one hell of
a man.

Stupid and hydrogen, the two most common elements in the
universe.

Posted Image

#3 AtlantisRocks42

AtlantisRocks42

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:14 PM

QUOTE (SylvreWolfe @ Jun 22 2009, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because she is from England and the character she plays is from England.

Thanks for specifying English, BTW. Most posts complaining about her accent say British and that is such a wide sweeping generalization that involves quite a few nations with differing accents. But then, they also have several different accents in England.

I asked a friend of mine from England what he thought of her accent. He said it sounded like someone from England who had been living in the US for awhile, and Americanized English accent.[/
b]

Thats the best way to put yeah, but I'm from London, an the accent in general is really bad, I personally find it quite annoying, so much so that it puts me off the actual show.
Theres no place like home

#4 Martok

Martok

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (SylvreWolfe @ Jun 22 2009, 12:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He said it sounded like someone from England who had been living in the US for awhile, and Americanized English accent.

According to Imdb, she moved to Canada at the age of 3. So she has been in Canada for awhile.

I've finally done something no one has ever done. I found the lost kitty of Atlantis.

#5 SciFi-Girl

SciFi-Girl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,991 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:32 AM

QUOTE (AtlantisRocks42 @ Jun 24 2009, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats the best way to put yeah, but I'm from London, an the accent in general is really bad, I personally find it quite annoying, so much so that it puts me off the actual show.

You do not think it is simply a washed down accent due to the fact that she has been living in the U.S. for many years?

Posted Image

I've been asked why I change my font. I really like Indigo and Comic Sans, but it also (sometimes) helps during certain board reviewing situations.

#6 AtlantisRocks42

AtlantisRocks42

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 02:53 AM

QUOTE (Skiffy-Girl @ Jun 25 2009, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You do not think it is simply a washed down accent due to the fact that she has been living in the U.S. for many years?

Yes there is an element of that, but it sounds just so false IMO, that it grates, an its also very irritating that anyone that does do a English accent ALWAYS has to go for a posh one, something very upper crust. You rarely if ever, (that I know of anyway) have a normal run of the mill accent.

According to Imdb, she moved to Canada at the age of 3. So she has been in Canada for awhile

Honestly don’t know how much of a South of England accent she would have picked up an she certainly doesnt have an Essex accent IMO, David Hewlett, Paul Mcgillion were also British born, an IMO again neither one has much of a remnant of an UK accent when they talk, expect maybe Paul Mcgillion every now an then you can hear a bit of a Scottish twang. Sorry her accent in Sanctuary for me anyways does distract from the show, it just as I said grates.

#7 SylvreWolfe

SylvreWolfe

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18,715 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:44 PM

QUOTE (Martok @ Jun 24 2009, 11:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
According to Imdb, she moved to Canada at the age of 3. So she has been in Canada for awhile.

But the character didn't. We don't know when the character moved to the US or where all she lived in the meantime, picking up different accent influences along the way

a man.

universe.

Posted Image

#8 RileyJ24

RileyJ24

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 585 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 08:03 PM

I seem to be easily turned off a character if the accent is obviously fabricated or derogatory. So I was worried that Tapping's accent on this show would end up being a turn off. Once I started watching, and her backstory came into play, her accent turned out to not be much of an issue for me.

It probably helps that I am used to American English...which her accent is a touch closer to being. Her's is more of a blended English/American English.

I do think she hesitates a little too much like she isn't comfortable speaking. Maybe she has worked on that some since Season One.

Posted Image

#9 Simnsays

Simnsays

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 03:37 PM

She seems to have to concentrate so hard on maintaining the accent, that she seems stiff. It really bugged me and distracted from the overall show. I hope she was more comfortable with it by the time she did the second season.

#10 nypdretired

nypdretired

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 05:51 PM

to me it sounds ok...then again I am not from England. I am from NY and when I hear the over the top New Yawk accents I hear actors going for I cringe. Then again I have been told I sound like I'm from Brooklyn but have only been there a handfull of time....lol

I'm not always right but I am never wrong.

The above posts are my opinions.

#11 airyie

airyie

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:16 PM

The accent does sound a bit bad.

Although, if you think about it, us fans would be complaining even if there wasn't an accent. I mean, the idea is that she is very old/immortal-old. The US has only been around for like 200 yrs. So, I guess Britain seems like a more reasonable place of origin...and now I'm ranting...

Posted Image

#12 AtlantisRocks42

AtlantisRocks42

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (airyie @ Jun 29 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The accent does sound a bit bad.

Although, if you think about it, us fans would be complaining even if there wasn't an accent. I mean, the idea is that she is very old/immortal-old. The US has only been around for like 200 yrs. So, I guess Britain seems like a more reasonable place of origin...and now I'm ranting...

Your right I guess, but why does it always have to be a posh accent, an a slightly "ever so ever" accent, that’s what kinda bugs me the most. You never hear a run of the mill accent whether it be London (doesn’t have to be cockney, not all us sound like that) or South East or North etc.. accent, its usually always is a ever so posh accent or very well spoken upper crust accent, it would just be nice once in a while to hear something else.

to me it sounds ok...then again I am not from England. I am from NY and when I hear the over the top New Yawk accents I hear actors going for I cringe. Then again I have been told I sound like I'm from Brooklyn but have only been there a handfull of time....lol

I cant say I'm a big fan of the show at all, its very much a take or leave approach for me an the whole accent thing well I guess that just doesn’t help me warm to it. But I will watch season 2 assuming there’s nothing better on at the same time an see how’s its going, I guess accents are difficult in general, I wouldn’t have a clue of the different regional accents in NY or else where come to think of it. I was on holiday in Cuba a few years back an was talking to a group of people who I thought were American and they turned out to be Canadians, I couldn’t tell the difference, as both accents sound almost the same to my ear. So in the scheme of things its always gonna be difficult for the actor or actress doing any accent.

#13 SylvreWolfe

SylvreWolfe

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 18,715 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (AtlantisRocks42 @ Jul 2 2009, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your right I guess, but why does it always have to be a posh accent, an a slightly "ever so ever" accent, that’s what kinda bugs me the most. You never hear a run of the mill accent whether it be London (doesn’t have to be cockney, not all us sound like that) or South East or North etc.. accent, its usually always is a ever so posh accent or very well spoken upper crust accent, it would just be nice once in a while to hear something else.

But she is upper crust. Her father was a very prestigious physican and researcher, she was a prestigious and respected researcher in England, being a rare female physician and researcher and she ran with the wealthy and elite types. Her upbringing in England would indicate posh and upper crust
a man.

universe.

Posted Image

#14 AtlantisRocks42

AtlantisRocks42

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (SylvreWolfe @ Jul 2 2009, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But she is upper crust. Her father was a very prestigious physican and researcher, she was a prestigious and respected researcher in England, being a rare female physician and researcher and she ran with the wealthy and elite types. Her upbringing in England would indicate posh and upper crust

yeah I do get that, guess I didnt really explain myself properly, I just find the accent false an strained it doesnt flow, an it just grates, but also I'm kinda just a bit fed up in general of always hearing that type of accent in shows if there is a brit part, it just seems that, its this type of accent that actors or actress go for or are told to go for an from my POV it gets really annoying " haha"

Though I really dont wana hear a Dic k Van Dyke cockney accent ever again either "god noooooooooooooo" tongue.gif

#15 SciFi-Girl

SciFi-Girl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,991 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 12:55 AM

Hey, don't talk bad about my uncle Dick. rolleyes.gif

Posted Image

I've been asked why I change my font. I really like Indigo and Comic Sans, but it also (sometimes) helps during certain board reviewing situations.

#16 mannymore

mannymore

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 242 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

I'm from the UK & the accent (to me) has an American or Canadian edge to it, funny really as everyone hears differently so, probably some "Atlantic English" accent ! biggrin.gif
Posted Image

#17 dont

dont

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 478 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:50 PM

i don't much care for the accent.. but i like her and watch the show anyways and ended up liking it
for anyone who reads this post please don't take it as a personal attack

#18 ode2scifi

ode2scifi

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (lizzie1892 @ Jun 22 2009, 01:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really the show but wondered why Amanda Tapping used an english accent?
She's a wonderful actress but the accent wasn't really very good.

I rather liked the English accent. It really helps separate her character from the one on Stargate, along with the long dark hair. Just found this through Netflix Instant viewing and have been watching season 1 for 2 days now. Really love the creative play and actually get chuckles out of those that bring flash backs to Star Trek & The Trouble with Tribbles, as well as the others mentioned in the forums. They do enough of a twist that it's still great fun.
We are keeping an eye out for season 2, which they are saying should be out in October.

#19 mvsimo

mvsimo

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (ode2scifi @ Jul 13 2009, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I rather liked the English accent. It really helps separate her character from the one on Stargate, along with the long dark hair. Just found this through Netflix Instant viewing and have been watching season 1 for 2 days now. Really love the creative play and actually get chuckles out of those that bring flash backs to Star Trek & The Trouble with Tribbles, as well as the others mentioned in the forums. They do enough of a twist that it's still great fun.
We are keeping an eye out for season 2, which they are saying should be out in October.

In an interview Amanda said that the accent is from the 18th century English so it is suppose to sound different then today's British accent.
Posted Image

#20 puffandruffle

puffandruffle

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:45 PM

I think the accent is wonderful. And for all of you trying to compare it to a modern day English accent, no wonder it sounds funny to your ears. Amanda has said in several interviews (and you should know this if you are familiar with Helen Magnus's character), the accent is a Victorian accent, and it's held much more differently in the mouth. Amanda also had to take in mind that Helen has been all over the world, so she internationalized it a bit.

But yeah, I think her whole portrayal of Magnus, accent and all, is just fabulous.

Posted Image
"Good doctors come and go, but the great ones have always seen beyond the boundaries of science, beyond the known. The great ones dare to believe in the unbelievable. "

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users