226 replies to this topic

#1 lyssajade

lyssajade

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:28 AM

"The Master was also offered a new cycle of regenerations by the High Council to save the Doctor from the Death Zone, which may indicate that there are methods to circumvent the 12 regeneration limit. The Master says in "The Sound of Drums" that the Time Lords "resurrected" him to fight in the Time War, which appears to support this. It was revealed in "The Brain of Morbius" that the Time Lords also use the Elixir of Life in extreme cases, where regeneration is not possible. This may be the reason for additional regeneration cycles being granted."
A quote from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Lord
------
David Tennant is the 10th Doctor, and Matt Smith is the 11th. What happens when the doctor after Matt Smith (this would be the 12th Doctor) dies?
Does his 'daughter' become the main character?
Or does he find a way to have more regenerations?
Or maybe, they stop Doctor Who.
Attached File  davidTENNANT.bmp   347.75K   54 downloads
Attached File  MattSmith.bmp   804.25K   74 downloads

It's been driving me mental trying to figure out what might happen.
Any ideas or knowledge on the matter?
The Doctor: It's you! You're my favourite! You are the best, you know why? Cause you're so thick! You're mister thick thickity thick face from thicktown thickannia. And so is your Dad!

He is like fire, burning through time. As old as forever, but fast in his prime.

Albert Einstein: I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Alice: I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!

#2 LibrarianEmie

LibrarianEmie

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:16 AM

If the show is still popular when the 13th Doctor reaches the end of his run they will find a way to keep him around. With no more Gallifrey all bets are off.
Posted Image
Posted Image
signature created by manicmonkeyinspce
Be kind to the EARTH..it has chocolate!

Posted Image

#3 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 10:42 AM

When the Master was offered that he was in a new body, so it may only apply to starting over in a new body. They did resurrect him from the dead for the Time War tho, so eventually he did get them.

Just mentioning that because I dont see the Doctor going out to steal a new body just because he's dying. He's not that sort of man.

Tho - the Valyard might be.

#4 Ivriniel

Ivriniel

Ascended

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,768 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:02 AM

Rob Shearman, author of Dalek, spoke about this recently at Who Party 13. He said the show will not end because some writer in 1976 randomly came up with a maximum number of regenerations. The Showrunners will come up with a way around it.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Inspired by ken_redtail on ihasatardis.

#5 mascan

mascan

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

Might as well jump in with my regular theory: However they get around the regenration limit, it should come as a complete surprise to the Doctor, and become part of the 14th Doctor's story arc to find out how and why he regenerated again.

#6 Scrawny71

Scrawny71

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (Ivriniel @ Jul 18 2009, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rob Shearman, author of Dalek, spoke about this recently at Who Party 13. He said the show will not end because some writer in 1976 randomly came up with a maximum number of regenerations. The Showrunners will come up with a way around it.

They could do it retroactively with a single line; eg "The limit of 12 regenerations was removed during the Time War".
You'd do it for Randolph Scott.

#7 StillPeridotEyes

StillPeridotEyes

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,188 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 12:28 PM

The writer will wave the Magic Crystal of Zogtm, and the objections will all disappear.

Welcome to the board. smile.gif

'It's the same rain...'

#8 Scrawny71

Scrawny71

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (StillPeridotEyes @ Jul 18 2009, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The writer will wave the Magic Crystal of Zogtm, and the objections will all disappear.

Welcome to the board. smile.gif

RTD always said he'd never go to planet Zog. Maybe Stephen Moffatt will.
Anyway, hasn't Doc 10 already used a regeneration? One left after Matt Smith, I think.
Ok, maybe one and a half.

You'd do it for Randolph Scott.

#9 Nineismydoctor

Nineismydoctor

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

Anyway, hasn't Doc 10 already used a regeneration? One left after Matt Smith, I think.

that's my question too! how does Human Doctor figure in....

on the other Hand ( oh geesh..did I really just say that?)...when he wants to..the Doctor has been known to break a few rules...why would this be any different?

Posted Image

#10 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 03:43 PM

In Next Doctor, the Doctor talked about only having 2 selves left - so as far as the Doctor is concerned, he's used up 10 regenerations (unless he's got some idea of the Valyard coming up and a way to eliminate the dreaded 13th incarnation .. but that seems too dark for the Doctor)

#11 TheBlueCastle

TheBlueCastle

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,350 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (Mreen @ Jul 18 2009, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In Next Doctor, the Doctor talked about only having 2 selves left - so as far as the Doctor is concerned, he's used up 10 regenerations (unless he's got some idea of the Valyard coming up and a way to eliminate the dreaded 13th incarnation .. but that seems too dark for the Doctor)

I didn't take the line "YOu must be the next me or the next one after," to mean he only had two regens left, but I guess it could be.
Not impossible, just a bit unlikely! Jenny Who

Posted Image Posted Image
Thank you manicmonkeyinspace!
I can produce magnificent quantities of lactic fluid.

#12 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:39 PM

If you didnt take the line to mean that there was only two Doctors that he didnt know by sight, what did you take the line to mean?

(just curious)

Edited by Mreen, 18 July 2009 - 07:41 PM.

#13 betawho

betawho

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (Mreen @ Jul 18 2009, 08:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you didnt take the line to mean that there was only two Doctors that he didnt know by sight, what did you take the line to mean?

(just curious)

He did add "a future Doctor anyway."

It's possible not even he is sure how many regenerations he has left.

Although I agree, when the point comes, and he survives (BBC willing) I do agree it should be a complete surprise. He isn't one to artificially extend his life, certainly not at anyone else's expense.

Besides, I'm looking forward to seeing how knowing his next death will be his final death will influence his actions in that season, and how he will handle knowing he has more life left after all.

I just really hope that whatever they do does have a limit to it. Another set of regenerations or something. I'd hate for him to just become immortal. I think knowing he only has so long to live is part of what makes him so vital, and part of the way he always throws himself into situations, because he wants to see everything, but knows he doesn't have forever.

Besides, his sacrifices, offering his life for others, wouldn't mean as much if there was no risk to them. (No offense to Jack.)

#14 StillPeridotEyes

StillPeridotEyes

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,188 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 09:48 PM

QUOTE (Scrawny71 @ Jul 18 2009, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
RTD always said he'd never go to planet Zog. Maybe Stephen Moffatt will.

RTD said in an interview on YouTube re: the regeneration limitation problem, the M. C. o Z.tm would be waved at the problem and it would be (magically) solved.

'It's the same rain...'

#15 LittleLostDalek

LittleLostDalek

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (StillPeridotEyes @ Jul 18 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

RTD said in an interview on YouTube re: the regeneration limitation problem, the M. C. o Z.tm would be waved at the problem and it would be (magically) solved.

Which interview is that?
Posted Image Posted Image

Credit where credit is due: manicmonkeyinspace made this signature and he is awesome!

#16 eronline

eronline

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:59 PM

Regarding regeneration, in "Caves of Androzani" as 5 is dying, he seems to think that the regeneration may not be possible. I think he even says something to the effect. Is it because of the spectrox toxaemia? The Doctor had suffered other life-threatening situations and regenerated, why should that situation had been different? Is poison one sure way to kill a Time Lord once and for all?
"Reality Is Just a Crutch For People Who Can't Handle Science Fiction"

#17 betawho

betawho

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE (eronline @ Jul 19 2009, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Regarding regeneration, in "Caves of Androzani" as 5 is dying, he seems to think that the regeneration may not be possible. I think he even says something to the effect. Is it because of the spectrox toxaemia? The Doctor had suffered other life-threatening situations and regenerated, why should that situation had been different? Is poison one sure way to kill a Time Lord once and for all?

Regeneration doesn't seem to be a guaranteed process (which, I think, is one of the reasons it keeps us so interested) we always hear that something could go wrong, or is going wrong. They've even mentioned using the Karn elixir in case of "regenerative crisis."

Considering how radical a physiological process it is, I can easily see something going fatally wrong with it.

#18 betawho

betawho

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:28 AM

P.S. As to poison, apparently a Time Lord can be poisoned. Remember, the Doctor refused to take the pills (supposedly asprin) that Jo tried to give him while they were locked in prison.

#19 oldskool138

oldskool138

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:19 AM

QUOTE (betawho @ Jul 19 2009, 01:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
P.S. As to poison, apparently a Time Lord can be poisoned. Remember, the Doctor refused to take the pills (supposedly asprin) that Jo tried to give him while they were locked in prison.

Or the Doctor getting poisoned in the Unicorn and the Wasp...
Taking a big space truck with a bunch of strangers across a diamond planet called Midnight...What could possibly go wrong?

Posted Image

#20 GreySquirrel

GreySquirrel

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 804 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:49 AM

QUOTE (oldskool138 @ Jul 19 2009, 12:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Or the Doctor getting poisoned in the Unicorn and the Wasp...

Or the anaesthetic administered to the Doctor during the 96 TV film, which the Doctor later claims almost destroyed the regenerative process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users