• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 fudgefase

fudgefase

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

Anyone help with the music (the Alice song) from this episode? It was really good. biggrin.gif

#2 NYCSciFiFan

NYCSciFiFan

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

It's been around a while; it's performed by Jefferson Airplane.

The actual title is "White Rabbit" but most people call it "Go Ask Alice."

http://en.wikipedia....e_Rabbit_(song)

I thought it was the PERFECT song for this episode and that scene. Kudos to the music staffers!
- NYC

#3 LadyNRA1

LadyNRA1

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:49 PM

I agree! Good choice of song for this episode.

I also loved the addition of Disturbia (Rhianna) in the Pilot and "Let it Rock" by Kevin Rudolf in Burnout.
Claudia: Would it have killed you to put a warning label on this thing?
Artie: Saying what? Only put on in case of stupid?

#4 fudgefase

fudgefase

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:44 AM

QUOTE (NYCSciFiFan @ Aug 26 2009, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's been around a while; it's performed by Jefferson Airplane.

The actual title is "White Rabbit" but most people call it "Go Ask Alice."

http://en.wikipedia....e_Rabbit_(song)

I thought it was the PERFECT song for this episode and that scene. Kudos to the music staffers!

Thanks. I'll order it on iTunes. Thought it was brilliant.

#5 LadyNRA1

LadyNRA1

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:35 AM

If anyone listens to the Hulu version of this episode (I just did a little while ago), they substitute a generic form of disco instead of "I Will Survive" and White Rabbit isn't there either. Hmmmm....I noticed this Syfy's podcast cutting out Disturbia.

#6 bluegirl

bluegirl

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:11 AM

QUOTE (LadyNRA1 @ Aug 28 2009, 11:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If anyone listens to the Hulu version of this episode (I just did a little while ago), they substitute a generic form of disco instead of "I Will Survive" and White Rabbit isn't there either. Hmmmm....I noticed this Syfy's podcast cutting out Disturbia.

Both of those songs are seriously expensive, so I understand that they might eliminate them from the Hulu version. I will be more than a little upset if they are not on the dvd, however.

The expense of purchasing song rights for dvd or repeat play (like Hulu) is significant and why so many shows have not been released on dvd - or released with different music.

#7 LadyNRA1

LadyNRA1

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (bluegirl @ Aug 29 2009, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Both of those songs are seriously expensive, so I understand that they might eliminate them from the Hulu version. I will be more than a little upset if they are not on the dvd, however.

The expense of purchasing song rights for dvd or repeat play (like Hulu) is significant and why so many shows have not been released on dvd - or released with different music.

Wow! You know I NEVER considered that aspect of it. We take it for granted because so many shows don't use original music (and there are hardly any 'jingle' writers anymore either). It just never occurred to me that obtaining the rights to use it would factor in. I'm still sorry though because the White Rabbit song was way past perfect for that scene in the warehouse. And I Will Survive wasn't a bad choice either given that Alice would do anything to survive.

#8 bluegirl

bluegirl

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

QUOTE (LadyNRA1 @ Aug 29 2009, 12:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow! You know I NEVER considered that aspect of it. We take it for granted because so many shows don't use original music (and there are hardly any 'jingle' writers anymore either). It just never occurred to me that obtaining the rights to use it would factor in. I'm still sorry though because the White Rabbit song was way past perfect for that scene in the warehouse. And I Will Survive wasn't a bad choice either given that Alice would do anything to survive.

Music rights are the main reason "Cold Case" has not been released on dvd yet, and if I am not mistaken, a big part of why "Judging Amy" has not been released. I think there is some kind of ownership squabble with that, as well, but don't quote me on that.

I could probably live without "I Will Survive," even though it works really well in the scenes, but the scenes with "White Rabbit" would be significantly less if another song replaced it.

#9 HauntedByBob

HauntedByBob

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,392 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (LadyNRA1 @ Aug 28 2009, 10:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, no. the White Rabbit bit was the best part of the episode.

#10 Mj0Skyver

Mj0Skyver

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 03:48 PM

I agree with HauntedbyBob. The segment while "White Rabbit" was playing is nothing short of great.
It was like an AMV well-squeezed into the episode. tongue.gif
"Never rule out anything." -Artie Nielsen, Warehouse 13, "Magnetism"

Do correct me if I got the quote wrong. ^_^;

#11 Eutychus

Eutychus

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

Using White Rabbit was pure genius. After the episode I had to dig out some old records(those big black cds your parents used to listen to, kids) and convert it to a .wav file. My wife is growing quite tired of the tune.

#12 SunKrux

SunKrux

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:38 PM

I beg to differ that the ending of Alice!Myka was the best thing about the eps. The whole EPS was awesome. Joanne really knocked it out of the park with this one. I LOVE the songs used and hope that SyFy and other backers can afford the music rights to both "I Will Survive" and "White Rabbit" come DVD deal time. The eps wouldn't be the same without them.

Posted Image
Joanne Kelly Live Journal comm
Got Sarcasm?
Ship who you like, respect other ships, and play nice!
avatar & sig banner by me - no snurching w/out permission!

Disclaimer: My comments are my opinion it is neither right or wrong. Nor is it meant to insult anyone who doesn't agree with it. It's just how I see things. I won't tell you, you're wrong for not agreeing with me, if you don't tell me I'm wrong for not agreeing with you. Also, I am not attacking anyone when I express my opinion. If my opinion offends you, that's your problem. Talk to me rather than reporting me & getting posts deleted. Thank you.

#13 NYCSciFiFan

NYCSciFiFan

Contactee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:47 AM

QUOTE (bluegirl @ Aug 29 2009, 02:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many Quantum Leap fans don't want to buy the DVD's because of the music-replacements that have been done.
The most jarring one is the replacement of "Georgia On My Mind" in the "A Song for Beth." It's a pivotal moment and they replaced the song on the DVD with muzaak.

That's why many shows use indie songs, and Disney/ABC started their own music venture for film/tv music.
- NYC

#14 LadyNRA1

LadyNRA1

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE (NYCSciFiFan @ Aug 31 2009, 08:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Many Quantum Leap fans don't want to buy the DVD's because of the music-replacements that have been done.
The most jarring one is the replacement of "Georgia On My Mind" in the "A Song for Beth." It's a pivotal moment and they replaced the song on the DVD with muzaak.

That's why many shows use indie songs, and Disney/ABC started their own music venture for film/tv music.

Yeah, they used generic disco for I Will Survive and nothing for the White Rabbit scene. Replacing the latter would be a huge mistake on the final DVD but I'd buy the whole season just the same.

#15 SunKrux

SunKrux

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (LadyNRA1 @ Aug 31 2009, 10:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, they used generic disco for I Will Survive and nothing for the White Rabbit scene. Replacing the latter would be a huge mistake on the final DVD but I'd buy the whole season just the same.

I'd hate to see "I Will Survive" changed as well as "White Rabbit" but if it came down to which one is a "it's gotta go period" I'd say "I Will Survive" is okay to go so long as it's a decent generic disco. wink.gif laugh.gif But "White Rabbit" MUST stay, imho. It complements Joanne's performance so well. biggrin.gif

Posted Image
Joanne Kelly Live Journal comm
Got Sarcasm?
Ship who you like, respect other ships, and play nice!
avatar & sig banner by me - no snurching w/out permission!

Disclaimer: My comments are my opinion it is neither right or wrong. Nor is it meant to insult anyone who doesn't agree with it. It's just how I see things. I won't tell you, you're wrong for not agreeing with me, if you don't tell me I'm wrong for not agreeing with you. Also, I am not attacking anyone when I express my opinion. If my opinion offends you, that's your problem. Talk to me rather than reporting me & getting posts deleted. Thank you.

#16 LadyNRA1

LadyNRA1

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:48 PM

QUOTE (SunKrux @ Aug 31 2009, 06:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd hate to see "I Will Survive" changed as well as "White Rabbit" but if it came down to which one is a "it's gotta go period" I'd say "I Will Survive" is okay to go so long as it's a decent generic disco. wink.gif laugh.gif But "White Rabbit" MUST stay, imho. It complements Joanne's performance so well. biggrin.gif

Much as I like Disco (yeah, I admit it, my clubbing days ya understand...), I have to agree that White Rabbit should stay if forced to a choice. This song totally complimented the scene and went along with the theme and the tension. After seeing Hulu without it, I can unequivocally state that putting the song in was a major part of the scene. As for the generic disco, I didn't care for what Hulu had on there. Something very bland. If they go generic, they need to bump up the beat a bit, get something more energetic than what they had.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users