• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 rlplet

rlplet

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 11:03 PM

I can not believe that my wife and I just wasted two hours watching "Megafault". Firstly, the acting was atrocious. It was remenicent of the 1950s sci-fi movies. Secondly, the science was way off, and should have at least been checked against current data. Then there are the props. Most of the vehicles were very old and outdated. The explosions were very canned and ill placed. If the military needed to make a large hole like the Grand Canyon, they certainly would not use TNT. All in all it was one of the worst films I have seen lately. I believe who ever put up the money for this disgrace should sue every one involved. If you have not seen this movie, please watch the wrestling channel for more challenging material.

#2 msmith301

msmith301

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:06 AM

QUOTE (rlplet @ Oct 10 2009, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can not believe that my wife and I just wasted two hours watching "Megafault". Firstly, the acting was atrocious. It was remenicent of the 1950s sci-fi movies. Secondly, the science was way off, and should have at least been checked against current data. Then there are the props. Most of the vehicles were very old and outdated. The explosions were very canned and ill placed. If the military needed to make a large hole like the Grand Canyon, they certainly would not use TNT. All in all it was one of the worst films I have seen lately. I believe who ever put up the money for this disgrace should sue every one involved. If you have not seen this movie, please watch the wrestling channel for more challenging material.

It's that way with all of the SyFy channel original movies. They all suck!! I just don't understand why a company that can produce such great series as Battlestar Galactica, Sanctuary, Startgate:SG1, Stargate:Atlantis, Warehouse 13, Eureka, ect. can come up with such crappy movies.
I just got thru watching "Earthstorm". What a F*&^ing joke. The space shuttle they flew in should have been made out of cardboard it was so phony. My truck has more consoles and switches in it than this mock up did. To top it off everybody on the shuttle was walking around in slacks and polo shirts. The mission control center was just as much of a joke. An american flag hanging off the back wall with thumb tacks. It was nothing more than a rented office space with some phony consoles installed and green flourescent lighting over each console.

#3 Moobreath

Moobreath

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 01:30 AM

Wow I want those 2 painful hrs back. Acting was horrid, Ive seen better acting in a highschool drama class. The "Special FX" well, sucked, just plain horribe. The science well, there was no science, all garbage.

Come on SyFy, start spending the same amount of effort on your movies as you do on your programming. all your movies suck! no more mega somethinig something fights a giant whatever, or a mega something causes a something something.

Most original series on Syfy are great, good quality and entertaining, your movies are "PAINFUL"

#4 ainitfunny

ainitfunny

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:10 AM

"Megafault"....? Where to begin? To make a sci-fi movie you have to ask the audience to embrace some presumed set of "what if" circumstances. AFTER they oblige and accept those preposterous prerequisites, you CANNOT keep injecting more and more preposterous notions into the story and still hold the audience's attention unless they are under seven or totally ignorant, credulous fools. You can suspend disbelief only to a point where if you continue you don't have a cohesive story, you have a raving hallucination. That "megafault" with this story lies squarely with the producers who must have hired ignorant, undergraduate writers and dispensed with any budget for review of the scientific plausibility of any of the nonsense portrayed in this film.

1. People CANNOT PHYSICALLY RUN FULL GALLOP DURING A MAJOR EARTHQUAKE, that is physically impossible. You would be lucky to be able to CRAWL.

2. People's HEADS do not INSTANTLY ignite if the ground they are standing on starts getting hot enough to melt the soles of their shoes.

3. You CANNOT instantly create a 25 mile wide "New Grand Canyon" with 30 truckloads of dynamite no matter where or how you place it. Hell, you cannot do it with 30 nuclear bombs.

4. The government would NEVER wring it's hands and throw the whole question of survival of the nation and it's entire population into the hands of ONE bright young mother, however smart that childlike face is supposed to be. Hell, her priorities and the moviemakers were always on her own little family's survival above anyone elses.

5. We watch as a rather obscure, ignoble and bumptious black conventional explosives worker who also happens to be a pilot moves into the NUMBER TWO most powerful position of power and authority next to MRS CONGENIALITY, the young science whiz in whom all hope is placed by the political and military authorities. Barfing yet? Yea, like that would EVER happen, politicians, FEMA and military commanders are SO anxious to abandon power and take orders from VERY young lower middle class citizens.

6. Mrs. Science whiz's husband's next stop should be LAS VEGAS, both his, his wifey's and black expert's luck being so frigging unbelievable, lucky and utterly impossible as to make winning the lottery and cleaning out Vegas a virtual certainty.

7. In this day and age people are no longer "wowed" by special effects and a big special effects budget cannot compensate or distract from an incredibly poorly written script. The "special effects" were nothing special and in many places appeared amateurish and dated.

#5 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:44 AM

Megafail=You watching Syfy Channel while some awesome college football games were on. They make these dumb, cheap and unwatchable movies to air on Saturdays when they know the majority of Americans are watching Football. Now I don't want to upset the sensitive guy again, so I'm not implying that if you don't like football there's something wrong with you, there's is a market for people who aren't into sports and tons of alternate programs for those people to watch, like The History Channel or AMC, you don't have to watch the stupid original movies on Syfy. However, I have at least one friend who loves Syfy Saturday Originals and gets upset when they sometimes play a more a mainstream movie, so there is at least one person on Earth, that I know of, that actually likes this *****. tongue.gif
Posted Image
"I don't care what I do when I grow up as long as I don't have to wear a suit and fly." Clark Kent-"Smallville"

#6 easygordon

easygordon

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,856 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:09 AM

There are plenty of other things to watch besides Sci-Fi's "original" movies, and besides football too. I've said this many times, but I'm going to say it at least once more. If people would just stop watching the lousy movies maybe they would be convinced to make them better or give us a good series on Saturday nights. If you continue to watch them they don't care whether you like them or not, they got your eyeballs on their commercials, and that is all they care about.

Posted Image
Reviews of SF, Fantasy & Horror books, movies, TV, comics at templetongate.net

#7 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,588 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:19 AM

QUOTE (rlplet @ Oct 10 2009, 11:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And yet, it never occurred to you to change channels? It took you the full two hours to decide it was lousy? laugh.gif

It reminds of that joke from Annie Hall: Two elderly women are at a Catskill mountain resort, and one of them says, "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible." The other one says, "Yeah, I know. And such small portions!"

Edited by MockingbirdGirl, 11 October 2009 - 08:20 AM.

#8 kmk44

kmk44

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:46 AM

Wow I had no idea they used Octomom as the heroine????????? That woman was all inflated lips......... plus she failed acting school (or so it seems) Its amazing what can be done with a 15K budget today, My Elementry School son could do better computer graphics. I should try selling a less than nickle and dime story plot to Scifi they would probably buy it.

#9 GoramFrakkingNerfHerder

GoramFrakkingNerfHerder

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:47 PM

QUOTE (Moobreath @ Oct 10 2009, 11:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow I want those 2 painful hrs back. Acting was horrid, Ive seen better acting in a highschool drama class. The "Special FX" well, sucked, just plain horribe. The science well, there was no science, all garbage.

Come on SyFy, start spending the same amount of effort on your movies as you do on your programming. all your movies suck! no more mega somethinig something fights a giant whatever, or a mega something causes a something something.

Most original series on Syfy are great, good quality and entertaining, your movies are "PAINFUL"

There's already a thread where this is being discussed. The reason SyFy produces such movies follows a rather simple formula.

1. Such movies cost little money to produce. For the most part, you see small-time and/or unknown actors in these movies, not much scientific research is needed to write the story, and the special effects are low budget.

2. People watch them.

3. A significant number of people buy the DVD's, which means SyFy gets a pretty profit from turning out crud movies.

You know, I've always been able to tell the quality of these things from the previews. I follow a rather simple rule. If I think it's going to be stupid, 9 times out of 10 it will be.
"In the midst of so much violence and so many shows we don't care about, Star Trek stands out as a nice, quiet, moral example in a time when we need it." -- Ray Bradbury

#10 GoramFrakkingNerfHerder

GoramFrakkingNerfHerder

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (ShiningPathofLight @ Oct 11 2009, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Megafail=You watching Syfy Channel while some awesome college football games were on. They make these dumb, cheap and unwatchable movies to air on Saturdays when they know the majority of Americans are watching Football. Now I don't want to upset the sensitive guy again, so I'm not implying that if you don't like football there's something wrong with you, there's is a market for people who aren't into sports and tons of alternate programs for those people to watch, like The History Channel or AMC, you don't have to watch the stupid original movies on Syfy. However, I have at least one friend who loves Syfy Saturday Originals and gets upset when they sometimes play a more a mainstream movie, so there is at least one person on Earth, that I know of, that actually likes this *****. tongue.gif

I think your initial argument is a little flawed. I don't know why SyFy would throw money away making movies if they thought no one would be watching them. If we followed your logic, SyFy would be showing Incredible Hulk reruns during college football.
"In the midst of so much violence and so many shows we don't care about, Star Trek stands out as a nice, quiet, moral example in a time when we need it." -- Ray Bradbury

#11 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE (GoramFrakkingNerfHerder @ Oct 11 2009, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think your initial argument is a little flawed. I don't know why SyFy would throw money away making movies if they thought no one would be watching them. If we followed your logic, SyFy would be showing Incredible Hulk reruns during college football.

Yes, I probably didn't word that very well, my intention was to point out that Syfy makes these cheap movies to cater to a small niche market, a market that although small is large enough to justify making *alternative* programing for them.
Posted Image
"I don't care what I do when I grow up as long as I don't have to wear a suit and fly." Clark Kent-"Smallville"

#12 markitect

markitect

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 371 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 07:51 AM

There was absolutely nothing else to watch on Saturday evening, so I tuned in, but ended up just going to sleep after 30 minutes, the earliest I had slept in 10 years.

My question is: what is it about SyFy original movies that makes good actors into really really REALLY bad actors?

#13 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,588 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:05 AM

QUOTE (markitect @ Oct 12 2009, 07:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My question is: what is it about SyFy original movies that makes good actors into really really REALLY bad actors?

The answer to that question is usually: the director.

#14 IvaWrightTajuanaPinyan

IvaWrightTajuanaPinyan

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:14 PM

QUOTE (MockingbirdGirl @ Oct 12 2009, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The answer to that question is usually: the director.

Either that, or the viewer. It takes a director 3-4 weeks of shooting (for a tv movie) and often that much or more time of pre-production, then months (although not every day) of post production work to create a movie, and when it airs, how mny people think a particular actor is bad? On the other hand, it takes about 10 seconds to type onto a computer screen that an actor is bad, whether they actually are or not. wink.gif
Blessed be,

~ Iva

#15 IvaWrightTajuanaPinyan

IvaWrightTajuanaPinyan

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 127 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 04:20 PM

QUOTE (ShiningPathofLight @ Oct 11 2009, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I probably didn't word that very well, my intention was to point out that Syfy makes these cheap movies to cater to a small niche market, a market that although small is large enough to justify making *alternative* programing for them.

If you look at it in comparison to the population of...oh... the world, or even of the US... then yes, a small niche market of 2 million people or more the first tuime, then perhaps anywhere from half a million to 1.5 million additional people with each rerun (depending on if it's rerun at 9 AM, 7 PM, or 3 AM.) So for each one, that ends up being 15 million people or more in the first couple of years, plus however many millions buy the dvd's, especially overseas. And since people don't usually watch the same thing in the same timeslot week after week after week, that might be 30 million total... 60 million total... possibly most of the 200 million + people who subscribe to Syfy.

But if you look at it in comparison to other cable networks, then it's a younger and more affluent "niche" that outnumbers the audiences of 90% of other cable networks, and in fact, outnumbered the audience of things like Stargate, Battlestar, Dresden, Painkiller Jane, Farscape, Flash Gordon, Dr. Who and many others.

Blessed be,

~ Iva

#16 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,588 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:04 PM

The nail in the coffin for those who claim that Syfy doesn't know their audience and no one watches the Saturday 'B' movies. From TVbytheNumbers:
On Saturday, October 10, from 9-11PM (ET/PT), Megafault, starring Brittany Murphy, Eriq LaSalle and Bruce Davison, posted the largest Syfy Original Movie audience since April 2007, drawing 2.5 million viewers and a 2.0 HH [households] rating, while delivering 1.1 million among Adults 25-54 (highest in this demo since March) and 884,000 among Adults 18-49.

Megafault, a nail-biting thriller about a powerful earthquake that triggers a potentially catastrophic crack in the Earth’s crust, was the #1 cable movie in total day among Adults 25-54, driving Syfy into #2 for Saturday prime among all cable entertainment networks.

#17 GoramFrakkingNerfHerder

GoramFrakkingNerfHerder

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:36 PM

But Dollhouse is a better show than either of those! Joss don't get no respect!

#18 ShadoCorp

ShadoCorp

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:24 PM

Sometimes I watch these movies to just 'bug' my wife! She will ask me 'What are you watching now, 'Mansquito'? I like a good 'bad' movie every once in awhile, but it would be nice if they would try a little harder. What was the movie a month or so ago 'Infestation'? At least they did'nt take themselves to serious and had a lot of humor. Kind of like 'Slither' a couple of years ago.
What I find that's hilarious is some of the actors. Most of them were big time at one point or another and all of a sudden they are in a SYFY movie of the week!

#19 GoramFrakkingNerfHerder

GoramFrakkingNerfHerder

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:31 PM

Hey, remember when Jon Bon Jovi was in Los Muertos?

#20 txlucky1

txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,095 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:55 PM

QUOTE (GoramFrakkingNerfHerder @ Oct 14 2009, 09:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey, remember when Jon Bon Jovi was in Los Muertos?

The vampire movie, right?

Syfy member since April 1999

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users