1834 replies to this topic

#1 squall28

squall28

Forum Moderator

• Forum Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,463 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:54 PM

Well the first thread turned into a mess, but I want people to have an opportunity to talk about their concerns and issues with the show. Let me just go over some ground rules with this new thread. Will get there in a second.

First, this thread is to discuss how you did not like something, thought it could be written better, did not care for a certain episode, character, or scene, posting a rewrite of how you thought it should of been, and etc.

Now for the ground rules.

1.) Be respectful to other members. If someone is here to just cause trouble, report them and ignore them. If they are acting trollish I promise you they will not be posting too much longer.

2.) Do not attack the actors, producers, and/or writers. Comments about who is fat or ugly are innappropriate and will be removed

3.) Multiple threads on opinions of SGU will be merged here.

4.) Don't talk about other members unless it is in good nature. If someone is joking around and the other party doesn't mind then it's ok with the moderation team. If someone is being made fun of and they don't like it, sorry the fun is over. This also goes for calling people trolls. Oh and don't tell people in the open you have them on ignore. Just ignore them and move on to something else.

5.) Please stay on topic. Off topic posts will be removed.

6.) Have Fun!

Thank you.

Squall28

Posted Image

#2 txlucky1

txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,095 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (squall28 @ Oct 19 2009, 07:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well the first thread turned into a mess, but I want people to have an opportunity to talk about their concerns and issues with the show. Let me just go over some ground rules with this new thread. Will get there in a second.

First, this thread is to discuss how you did not like something, thought it could be written better, did not care for a certain episode, character, or scene, posting a rewrite of how you thought it should of been, and etc.

Now for the ground rules.

1.) Be respectful to other members. If someone is here to just cause trouble, report them and ignore them. If they are acting trollish I promise you they will not be posting too much longer.

2.) Do not attack the actors, producers, and/or writers. Comments about who is fat or ugly are innappropriate and will be removed

3.) Multiple threads on opinions of SGU will be merged here.

4.) Don't talk about other members unless it is in good nature. If someone is joking around and the other party doesn't mind then it's ok with the moderation team. If someone is being made fun of and they don't like it, sorry the fun is over. This also goes for calling people trolls. Oh and don't tell people in the open you have them on ignore. Just ignore them and move on to something else.

5.) Have Fun!

Thank you.

Squall28

Is the original thread locked or deleted? I am looking for a particular group of posts in there about the ship.

Syfy member since April 1999

#3 SciFi-Girl

SciFi-Girl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,981 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

It's been removed.

Posted Image

I've been asked why I change my font. I really like Indigo and Comic Sans, but it also (sometimes) helps during certain board reviewing situations.

#4 txlucky1

txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,095 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (Skiffy-Girl @ Oct 19 2009, 08:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's been removed.

Wow! The thread must have deteriorated since I read it last.

My only issue with SGU at this time is the need for a little more action. No I'm not talking about "that" kind of action. tongue.gif I know actions scenes are coming, so I can wait.

#5 GeorgeT

GeorgeT

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,952 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:42 PM

Regarding Dr. Rush's caffeine problem, I think a more correct description isn't "caffeine withdrawls", which just gives you a monster headache, but "caffeine induced psychosis", a malady caused by drinking pot after pot of coffee. This problem used to commonly afflict personnel during things like cave rescues where they'd end up drinking nothing but black coffee for 18-hours and then start screaming at each other over who has jurisdiction, who is in charge, who is and isn't allowed where, etc. Finally people figured out that extreme amounts of caffeine cause otherwise ordinary people to whig out - badly, and sometimes violently. DSM-IV calls it "caffeine intoxication".

Caffeine withdrawl is the blinding headache you get when you come off those high-doses of coffee cold-turkey. Been there. No fun. dry.gif

#6 drewler407

drewler407

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 93 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:47 PM

Character development is a bit slow thus far.

Alse a premise of the show is 'The wrong people in the wrong place'.

Were any of these people the 'Right' people? Wouldn't there be a faction within the group that was going to be going through the gate and would be relativlely prepared?

#7 SciFi-Girl

SciFi-Girl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,981 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (txlucky1 @ Oct 19 2009, 09:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My only issue with SGU at this time is the need for a little more action. No I'm not talking about "that" kind of action. tongue.gif I know actions scenes are coming, so I can wait.

I'm sure there will be some action in future episodes. Right now they are still getting familair with the ship.

BTW, my son hasn't missed an episode yet. He hasn't given me a straight answer on whether he likes it or not.

Has anyone explained why the Stargate on the ship needs cooling?

Posted Image

I've been asked why I change my font. I really like Indigo and Comic Sans, but it also (sometimes) helps during certain board reviewing situations.

#8 battlestartrekker12345

battlestartrekker12345

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (Skiffy-Girl @ Oct 19 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm sure there will be some action in future episodes. Right now they are still getting familair with the ship.

BTW, my son hasn't missed an episode yet. He hasn't given me a straight answer on whether he likes it or not.

I thought that the issue was simply 'power'... as in not enough to operate the gate.

#9 SciFi-Girl

SciFi-Girl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,981 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:21 PM

I probably read about it and forgot. My memory as of late has been terrible. Not enough sleep!

Posted Image

#10 Suzaku455

Suzaku455

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 266 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:34 PM

Although Battlestargate Destiny attempts to imitate my favorite show Battlstar Galactica, it falls short in two areas; writing and acting. Someone needs to take Rush off his high horse, I don't care if he provides "tension" I was waiting on someone to deck Rush and or put him in the brig to cool his heels. Like what Mr Andersen said why wasn't a remote camera thingy not used to seal the room?

Why is someone like Teflod or whatever even waiting by the communication stones and undermining Col. Young's authority, aside for administrative skills what does he have to offer? Couldn't they have some type of scientist waiting, I'm willing to buy maybe they have him waiting because they didn't know someone would communicate. But after the first communication a "scientist" or hacker should have been waiting to help unlock Destiny's computer.

#11 Battleready73

Battleready73

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:25 PM

I guess my first post seemed like someone expressing an issue but it was someone just venting. I like the Gate bought all the SG-1 seasons and 2 SG-1 movies. I'm also thinking about buying all the Atlantis series. I don't care about SGU's plot, It's boring. If I want to watch Tree Hill, Laguna Beach or House Wives of Orange County I'll turn to it. The Gate is pure d action with some kind of enemy. I'm sorry I wasted my time tuning in and complaining. This post may last and may not, when it doesn't that's my que to go.

#12 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (drewler407 @ Oct 19 2009, 08:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Character development is a bit slow thus far.

Alse a premise of the show is 'The wrong people in the wrong place'.

Were any of these people the 'Right' people? Wouldn't there be a faction within the group that was going to be going through the gate and would be relativlely prepared?

The personnel present at the time were only there to witness the use of the 9th Chevron not to go on an expedition through the gate. I'm sure some of the people would have been a part of the planned expedition team, like Rush, but other than him and Telford who knows if the rest of the personnel for an expedition were even on the planet yet. We know that the Senator and his daughter weren't planning on going anywhere but back to Earth.
Posted Image
"I don't care what I do when I grow up as long as I don't have to wear a suit and fly." Clark Kent-"Smallville"

#13 txlucky1

txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,095 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Skiffy-Girl @ Oct 19 2009, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No gate explanation that I have seen. There have been theories like different power system or metal used to make the gate. Didn't you suggest the different metal?

QUOTE (ShiningPathofLight @ Oct 19 2009, 10:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The personnel present at the time were only there to witness the use of the 9th Chevron not to go on an expedition through the gate. I'm sure some of the people would have been a part of the planned expedition team, like Rush, but other than him and Telford who knows if the rest of the personnel for an expedition were even on the planet yet. We know that the Senator and his daughter weren't planning on going anywhere but back to Earth.

Remember in the pilot when Rush is explaining what will happen if the 9th chevron dials successfully? He said something about sending a MALP through first and then Telford and his team would go through. Then Young said that while Rush and Eli are working on the gate's power issue, that special team is just waiting and watching like everyone else. I am paraphrasing here, but I believe Telford and his team were probably in the gliders. Perhaps a few of the soldiers from Telford's squad made it through. I don't know. By the way, is squad the right word here? I have zippo military experience except for listening to my dad's stories and living on a navy base.

#14 SciFi-Girl

SciFi-Girl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,981 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE (txlucky1 @ Oct 20 2009, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No gate explanation that I have seen. There have been theories like different power system or metal used to make the gate. Didn't you suggest the different metal?

OMG you're right! See, my memory is playing tricks on me. laugh.gif I have absolutely nothing to do tomorrow, so I'm going to get some sleep!!! I hope the "different metal" theory turns out to be the answer. It seems strange that nobody on the ship was commenting and trying to figure out why it does that.

Posted Image

#15 txlucky1

txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,095 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:39 AM

QUOTE (Skiffy-Girl @ Oct 20 2009, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG you're right! See, my memory is playing tricks on me. laugh.gif I have absolutely nothing to do tomorrow, so I'm going to get some sleep!!! I hope the "different metal" theory turns out to be the answer. It seems strange that nobody on the ship was commenting and trying to figure out why it does that.

laugh.gif You are too funny! Go get some sleep.

#16 Afanwhocomments

Afanwhocomments

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 372 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 12:46 AM

QUOTE (Skiffy-Girl @ Oct 20 2009, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wasn't the gate on Earth made of a special ' metal ' ie naquada going back to the original SG movie ? Isn't it naquada that makes the gate darn near indestructable ?

The effect might just be there to recapture some of the nuances of earlier SG epis ?

That does bring up another question ? Where did naquada originate and how did the Goul'd wind up with it in their blood ?

#17 LemonZephyr

LemonZephyr

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:00 AM

I am having a lot of trouble with this show. I don't like the Galactica look to the show. I don't like the idea of putting the wrong people in the wrong place up against life & death odds. The characters don't fit the "best of the best" criteria that the Stargate Program would attract. The best character is 1st Lt. Scott - he is believable and his character is not doing more or less than what his character should be doing. I don't like the criminal character of the Master Sgt - once again - he would not have made it through the Stargate screening process. The communication stones do not fit into the storyline - why are they not using the stones round the clock to let experts back on Earth fix the ship and write instructions for the remaining crew? The idea of having an FTL drive is amazing technology and Earth should have scientists using the stones around the clock to study it.
This is painful for me to write because I have loved the Stargate shows up to this one. Robert Cooper & Brad Wright, what are you guys thinking? I have loved the work you have done with Atlantis and SG-1 up to this point. Now, it feels like you are trying to re-create Galactica in the Stargate reality. I just don't get it. During episode 1 when the "sex scene" came up with NO WARNING - my wife and I had to cover the kids eyes while I was frantically reaching for the remote. We are now afraid to let the kids watch the show because how do we know when another "scene" won't pop up on the screen at us again?
According to IMDB the show's popularity is down 48%. If the ratings continue to tank I'm afraid you might get a chance to air all 20 episodes.

Oh, and if this posting gets deleted also - I'll take it as my hint to leave as a viewer and not come back.

#18 -Deleted

-Deleted

Superhero

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 01:06 AM

QUOTE (txlucky1 @ Oct 20 2009, 03:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It did rolleyes.gif

yeah, the same thing bothers me a bit. In fact , not so much the action as the slow pace.

#19 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 02:00 AM

QUOTE (hellboy70 @ Oct 20 2009, 02:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeah, the same thing bothers me a bit. In fact , not so much the action as the slow pace.

I don't know if it's the director's fault, the editor's fault or the writer's fault but there were many instances in the last episode when the scenes would just drag on for no apparent reason when you, the viewer, are sitting there thinking to yourself "Cut, Next", end of the scene move on to the next one, but instead the camera would just sit there and film several moments of uncomfortable silence. It's like you wanna tell them, "move along, move along, get on with the story already".
Posted Image
"I don't care what I do when I grow up as long as I don't have to wear a suit and fly." Clark Kent-"Smallville"

#20 talos321

talos321

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:36 AM

Poor writing..poor execution.

The creators are the same as the other series. Their way of writing is the same. Writing drama has always been SG's most weak point and to attempt to write in that genre makes it stick out like a sore thumb. I have no problem with very good dramatic scene. People say it is like Battlestar (which had way too many drama scenes but, well executed). It isn't even a cheap clone. I'll give examples below of how SG writes drama.

SG1-The doctor Janet dies. They tie it up neatly in one shoot. She fell the way of the redshirt. Nobody mentions her again or grieves, everything is ok.

Atlantis-Same effect with Carson and Weir. Weir doesn't even get a standing ovation or a tear, Carson got a McKay standing on the dock. Display a very deep side to Ronan and the next week he is back to being captain caveman.

The Senator dies, his daughter does a very seemingly bizarre hissy fit that looks like something from a very bad B movie. The next show she is ok after her dad dies. Nobody cares because he is a redshirt.

Comedy and exploration are SG's strong points.

SG1-Time loop thing, Jack goes all the way for Sam because there are no consequences.
SGA-McKay and Ronan quibbling over Jennifer and
SGU-Eli staring at the naked girl is what the SG writers do best. That is their forte.

To do what they envisioned (Which they tried to do with Atlantis around season 3) isn't the separate shows but, the writers need fresh perspective and possibly bringing new people in. They want more new people but, I'm betting somewhere a lot of these new people are confused about all the back story of the Ancients etc. They never needed to spin off new shows because their ideas have become stale. I don't hate the show but, I don't care. I liked the exploration parts.

Sorry for rambling. I have insomnia and dyslexia. tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users