Photo
- - - - -

[03/04/10] DOCTOR WHO 5x01 - "The Eleventh Hour"

• Please log in to reply
288 replies to this topic

Poll: Rate & Discuss (108 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this episode?

1. Excellent (69 votes [63.89%])

Percentage of vote: 63.89%

2. Good (34 votes [31.48%])

Percentage of vote: 31.48%

3. Average (3 votes [2.78%])

Percentage of vote: 2.78%

4. Fair (1 votes [0.93%])

Percentage of vote: 0.93%

5. Poor (1 votes [0.93%])

Percentage of vote: 0.93%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Thete

Thete

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 341 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:28 AM

Loved it!

Gave it an Excellent.

Not crazy about the opening/closing credits or theme, and Eyeball spaceships a bit strange, but otherwise GREAT.

...Oh and I was joking in my "End of Time" comment about the 11th Doctor will be spitting all the time from the quick bit of MS at the end after he regenerates, but I guess not since the 1st 5 mins of this episode all he did was spit out food! HA!

P.S. I'm in love with Karen <_<
Posted Image

#22 Metaldog

Metaldog

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:29 AM

Watched it three times yesterday. Might watch it again today.

on a scale of one to ten I give it an ELEVEN.

#23 antmania

antmania

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 06:42 AM

First of all the genius of Stephen Moffat is that he shot the new series out of sequence so Matt was already comfortable in the role by the time he shot this first episode.

To the story, well it was ok but nothing overwhelming, think the main point was showing the transition from the old to the new and introducing us to all the new characters which it succeeded very well in doing.
Matt Smith was instantly believable as The Doctor and the chemistry between him and Amy was natural and real.
Even the young Amy was good, incidently she is the real life cousin of Karen Gillan for those of you who never knew.
Special effects were fine and the tardis is better with all the extra rooms and gadgets although I think this is to benefit the children more than anything.

I give the overall story 8/10 and look forward to the rest of the series.

#24 oldskool138

oldskool138

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:36 AM

I liked it at first...but then I watched it again and thought about the plot. So, these eyeball aliens are technologically advanced enough to build spaceships capable of flying lightyears away from their planet yet can't scan for alien tech properly or scan for the DNA or lifesigns (or a futuristic GPS bracelet or something) of the creature they're looking for? Worse. Jailers. Ever.

And all the "I AM the Doctor" and the "Believe in me for 20 minutes" stuff seemed a little too much like Matt (and Moff) going "See! The show hasn't changed all that much" and drawing attention to the newness. I didn't like showing all 10 Doctors since they just did that in The Next Doctor.

That's not to say I didn't like the episode as a whole. I gave it a good. The theme and opening titles didn't bug me as much as most. They'll probably grow on me. I like the new TARDIS interior.

Matt was really good as the Doctor. Better than I hoped. So by my count that's three Doctors that have stolen their outfits from hospital rooms?
Taking a big space truck with a bunch of strangers across a diamond planet called Midnight...What could possibly go wrong?

Posted Image

#25 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:18 AM

I have to watch it again (what a chore!) but I really loved it. Amelia showed from the beginning that she was the match for any Doctor, and she and Matt did well together. With 14yrs of angst and broken promises it looks like she's still willing to believe in the Doctor, so what more could he ask? (Well, besides less cricket bat. But then I could've done with a bit less spitting food <_< but I loved his rejection comments to the various offerings.)

I really enjoyed it, and the sequence showing the all the Doctors with Matt walking thru them was very fitting. Looking forward to seeing more, and the only complaint really is that the bow tie hasn't won me over yet :)

I also got the impression that the Doctor was returning to young Amelia, tho it would break more than a few rules, and it may have been a dream sequence, but I'm also thinking it may have to do with protecting her from that crack between visits. Have to rewatch.... and wait and see.

#26 Bdragond

Bdragond

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:15 AM

Basically --- RUN!

I was very excited for the new Doctor. I was impressed by the short clips we saw of Matt Smith as Doc 11. I was so looking forwarded to some good entertainment and storytelling.

I was NOT disappointed.

The interaction between D11 and Amelia was wonderful. And as far as letting an adult into her home. He's The Doctor and you trust him. Anyway I thought the two of them were wonderful together.

I loved how Amy never forgot the Doctor even though she thought he had forgetten her. They played The Doctor without knowing what he was about. I wonder how many females watching the episodes had flashbacks to their fantasys, <_<

The story was good, fast paced, It sucked you in and kept you. Some funny, funny lines. Moffat is such a good writer. My favorite moment was on the roof when he asked if the planet was protected and the showed all 10 of the previous Doctors and D11 walking through D10 and proclaiming that he IS THE DOCTOR. I got chills.

I like Amy and the Doctor. The seem like they have been mates for a long time. And talk about your runaway bride. Can't wait to see how that pans out. Seeing the crack on the screen he may have come back for her to protect her as well as fulfilling his promise.

Matt and Karen seem to be very comfortable in their roles! Bravo on casting!

Now for the negative. I do not like what they have done to the music. It has a decidedly commercial sound to it. At first you do not even recognize it as Doctor Who and then it settles into the familiar but not quite right. That is going to take alot, probably years, to get used to.

All is well with the Doctor and the cool new TARDIS. (Loved how they acknowledged the other rooms.) Can't wait for the next episode!

Hi, you know me...I won't post her often (for personal reasons) but I just had to say Emie you nailed everything right on the head. BRILLIANT portrayal of The Doctor and yes I too got chills seeing all 10 previous Doctors and didn't you just love the look on 11's face as he was showing this to the aliens....WOW!

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled posters

Posted Image

#27 misterbryn

misterbryn

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,213 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

Ok, so I'll comment as I'm watching - I gave up on dr who a while back on account of it being too "childish" so let's see how this goes...

the beginning seemed very "wrong" to me - a little girl in jammies inviting a suspicious man in the middle of the night into her house? Pedobear would be proud.

wait - he actually went into her room?? dude that's so wrong

.... (couldn't hold back)

I mean seriously - what if her "aunt" were to walk in? seriously - what were they thinking - this show will probably be viewed by actual children for petes sake

from his dialogue "a crack" - ok- he went into her bedroom discussing "splitting a crack" WTF?????

he took her hand WTF?? ""everything is gonna be fine"

<_<

Posted Image

#28 DoctorSchmoctor

DoctorSchmoctor

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:17 AM

Sorry but I thought the whole thing was a bit off. The little girl at the start asking a strange man into the house with no sign of parents around was absurd and shouldn't be brushed over. Matt is geeky and might grow into the part but I prefer the gravitas of the old years, if you want a different programme call it something else! At least he was better than David Tennant though.

Positives for me were the gorgeous Amy and the fantastic title music revamp.

#29 TempestWales

TempestWales

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 420 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:53 AM

Meh, quite frankly I gave it an average, I really hate the intro, which might as well be a cartoon that nobody has really noticed and the music, I disliked last years change to the music, but I hate this one.

I don't like Matt Smith, just don't, and I'm not going to be listening to anyone who will inevitably try to convince me, you know who you are you can just stop right now. Everything else was good, Amy, the TARDIS interior is OK, but it looks like they went for a minor desktop theme change rather than anything really structural, so the whole "rebuilt" ***** didn't fly with me, I'm sure someone wasn't imaginative to come up with an entirely completely new interior, but what are you going to do.

Amy was great, the story, OK.

DT carried DW through the ups and downs in the RTD era, I've got a feeling DW will be carrying MS through Moffat's.
Posted Image

#30 WitchyD

WitchyD

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

Oh Dear, I just watched it (sorry, I simply couldn't wait another two 'freakin weeks!) and I am simply breathless!

Matt will be really, really good and I was impressed with him, though I was SO glad when he finally changed out of Ten's clothes because that was distracting me a bit and only made me miss DT (not fair to Matt). I wish they had him do it sooner 'cos it was just too weird at times and I can't see anybody but David as Ten wearing that tie! (even though the gag was a bit funny).

Best Parts: The Doctor and young Amy. The TARDIS (you sexy thing luv!). Fish custard. Raggity Doctor.
Worst Parts: The villain was just - Meh? but that's ok 'cos it wasn't the most important thing here anyway.

Posted Image
-------------------
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I

#31 WitchyD

WitchyD

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 351 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:22 AM

Basically --- RUN!

I loved how Amy never forgot the Doctor even though she thought he had forgetten her. They played The Doctor without knowing what he was about. I wonder how many females watching the episodes had flashbacks to their fantasys, <_<

Yes Emie!!! I loved Rory's long look at Eleven... "she made me dress up as you" which was too funny, I wonder just how many kids have done that over the years? I seem to remember making a young pal of mine wear a long tattered scarf....

The three of them were fun right there, it was a very "To Kill a Mockingbird" Scout/Jem/Dill kid moment.
I just hope we don't have another repeat of the Rose/Micky thing going on.
-------------------
Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies
Tongue-tied and twisted Just an earth-bound misfit, I

#32 LordsofTime

LordsofTime

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:26 AM

Overall I thought it was great

The opening where the TARDIS is flying out of control and the Doctor hanging on by his finger tips I didn’t buy, I don’t know what it was about it but I just didn’t like it.

The opening titles – So far the less said about them the better

The interaction between the young Amy Pond and the new Doctor was just brilliant…

“You’re Scottish, fry something”

“You’re not scared are you? Box falls out of sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard and you’re just sitting there! That must be one scary crack in your bed room”

Liked the time travel aspect of fast forwarding to 12 years later to see what the short interaction between Amy and the Doctor did to her waiting all those years for him to turn up again.

The basic story plot all made sense and the resolution wasn’t resolved with a simple flick of the sonic screwdriver, but with a complicated plan using computer viruses ‘though I don’t buy it resetting all personal clocks not connected to anything’

The Doctor had plenty of chances to finish it quickly, but always came up against something, eg sonic screwdriver blowing up, alien taking on a form from Amy instead of the comatose patients. Whatever problem came up the Doctor worked his way around whatever new obstacle he encountered.

The other 10 faces of the Doctor and Matt Smith walking through the hologram to show he was the newest was great.

They showed some old monsters from the classic series in the holograms (Old Sontaran and Sea devil), any like to the classic series always gets a thumbs up from me.

Don’t know about some stuff, like in the hospital with the “look in the mirror” part over the phone, how could he possibly know if he’s never visited the hospital or know exactly where they are?

Not to spoil the story, but why did the creature wait in the girls house for 12 years? Why not try to find a way to get off?

The new TARDIS was brilliant, however I wasn’t sold on the console at first but on a second viewing of the episode I think it’s growing on me, slowly. But the thing I’m still disappointed with is the time rotor which I was expecting to be something a little more complex then a simple glass blown vase moving up and down.

The TARDIS now also looks like it has many passages leading off from it, so maybe we’re going to explore more of the TARDIS later in the series.

However, despite his Doctor-ish attitude, I want to see a bit more of Matt Smith’s Doctor beyond the post regeneration episode before I give my overall opinion on him. But so far it’s looking good. He acted a little bit like Tennant at first which I felt just tried to emphasis this is still the same man with a new body.

Overall I gave it an excellent

Bring on the next episode!

#33 MockingbirdGirl

MockingbirdGirl

• PipPipPipPip
  • 14,679 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:33 AM

Don’t know about some stuff, like in the hospital with the “look in the mirror” part over the phone, how could he possibly know if he’s never visited the hospital or know exactly where they are?

You missed the point: He was telling Amy to look in a mirror because she had forgotten she was dressed as a police officer!

Edited by MockingbirdGirl, 04 April 2010 - 11:35 AM.

#34 LordsofTime

LordsofTime

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:39 AM

Oh Dear, I just watched it (sorry, I simply couldn't wait another two 'freakin weeks!) and I am simply breathless!

Matt will be really, really good and I was impressed with him, though I was SO glad when he finally changed out of Ten's clothes because that was distracting me a bit and only made me miss DT (not fair to Matt). I wish they had him do it sooner 'cos it was just too weird at times and I can't see anybody but David as Ten wearing that tie! (even though the gag was a bit funny).

Best Parts: The Doctor and young Amy. The TARDIS (you sexy thing luv!). Fish custard. Raggity Doctor.
Worst Parts: The villain was just - Meh? but that's ok 'cos it wasn't the most important thing here anyway.

Posted Image

I liked that 11 was still wearing 10s cloths for most of the adventure.

That’s a first I think, there’s never been a whole post regeneration story where the new Doctor wore the old Doctors cloths for the whole if not most of the whole thing. I would’ve preferred it if he was also wearing the tattered suit jacket as well.

#35 LordsofTime

LordsofTime

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 11:41 AM

You missed the point: He was telling Amy to look in a mirror because she had forgotten she was dressed as a police officer!

D'oh, I thought some power of the alien’s was holding the doors shut which was why no one could get through, and the Doctor knew another way around. That was not the case then, Scratch that one.

#36 01thetas

01thetas

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

A very good little innocent romp serves as a fun introduction to a new era, new 11th Doctor and his new companion with the promise of really excellent stories to come. The first act of the Doctor meeting the younger version of Amy is a very refreshing way to introducing a new companion and could be treated as a nice, little touching separate piece all on its own. The Doctor's first encounter with the older Amy is full of great amusing scenes, and Matt Smith's Doctor gets plenty of nice comedy moments in this story. Matt Smith and Karen Gillan show great chemistry with the sign of being a great new Doctor and a great companion for new stories to come. The main plot kind of has the feel of a silly Sarah Jane Adventures story, but the main alien villain (if handled in the previous era might have been handled more camp and silly) is handled well with a effectively scary enough presence (sharp teeth in human disguise and all). The Doctor's photographic memory shown as a 360 zoom in this episode is the another great effect introduced to DW by the new series and provides one of the most astonishing effect sequences this show has ever had.

If there's a problem (but a minor for one) with this season opener and as an introduction to this new era of Doctor Who, it would be as some pointed out, the new theme music which feels to me like a mix of the RTD era new series theme and a very amateur fan rendition. Also, I hope there's less and less use of the big melodramatic, sentimental epic-style music and a lot more atmospheric, original music scores in future stories to come.

#37 Arroganceunchanged

Arroganceunchanged

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

A thoroughly enjoyable episode. Perfect? No, but certainly worth the watch and it bodes well for the rest of the season. Matt did just fine. Let's not say he's the best thing since sliced bread (since that was told to leave and never come back) but he did much better than I expected. I agree with those who have criticized the intro. Bloody awful. The music was butchered and the graphics look like something my high school's audio visual club put together. But that's a minor point.

The only real concern after this episode is Moffat. He's written some great episodes in the past, but I noticed an overwhelming repetition of ideas and phrases in this episode. The relationship between Amy and the Doctor reminded me a lot of Girl in the Fireplace. He meets her as a child, due to a quirk in time technology he returns years later when she's grown up, she thinks of him as an imaginary friend....very familiar. Also, a lot of little things. First, the reuse of phrases like 'cowboys in here' and 'wibbley wobbley timey wimey.' Next the Doctor getting handcuffed ala Forest of the Dead, the row of patients under alien influence ala the Empty Child.

Maybe I'm being nitpicky, buy for this next series to really soar Moffat's going to have to put the success of his previous 4 episodes behind him and get a little more original.

#38 MikeYates

MikeYates

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,627 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 12:46 PM

First of all the genius of Stephen Moffat is that he shot the new series out of sequence so Matt was already comfortable in the role by the time he shot this first episode.

An idea he stole from JNT, who did the same thing for Peter Davison in 1982 (who was also replacing a tremendously popular Doctor...)

Looking forward to seeing more, and the only complaint really is that the bow tie hasn't won me over yet :P

Bow ties are cool.

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled posters

I remember when you WERE a regularly scheduled poster, and I miss it!

<_<

Yeah, I didn't even think it was worth responding to. :)
Posted ImagePosted Image
"Owain Hughes. And before you ask, no I don't!"

#39 LibrarianEmie

LibrarianEmie

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15,884 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:04 PM

To the story, well it was ok but nothing overwhelming, think the main point was showing the transition from the old to the new and introducing us to all the new characters which it succeeded very well in doing.
Matt Smith was instantly believable as The Doctor and the chemistry between him and Amy was natural and real.
Even the young Amy was good, incidently she is the real life cousin of Karen Gillan for those of you who never knew.
Special effects were fine and the tardis is better with all the extra rooms and gadgets although I think this is to benefit the children more than anything.

I give the overall story 8/10 and look forward to the rest of the series.

I thought they did excellent casting someone who could have been a young Karen. Thanks for letting us know why!

I have to watch it again (what a chore!) but I really loved it. Amelia showed from the beginning that she was the match for any Doctor, and she and Matt did well together. With 14yrs of angst and broken promises it looks like she's still willing to believe in the Doctor, so what more could he ask? (Well, besides less cricket bat. But then I could've done with a bit less spitting food <_< but I loved his rejection comments to the various offerings.)

I am just glad that they didn't give him a banana to reject because both 9 & 10 liked their bananas. But then it was The Mighty Moff who gave the Doctor the banana in Empty Child/The Doctor Dances.

Sorry but I thought the whole thing was a bit off. The little girl at the start asking a strange man into the house with no sign of parents around was absurd and shouldn't be brushed over. Matt is geeky and might grow into the part but I prefer the gravitas of the old years, if you want a different programme call it something else! At least he was better than David Tennant though.

Positives for me were the gorgeous Amy and the fantastic title music revamp.

She was praying to Santa ( I won't go there but I thought it was amusing) and he answered her prayer by having a Blue Box hurtle into her garden, A blue Box that said "Police" on it. Of course she is going to have faith in him. She was also looking for someone to trust. Her parents are obvious dead. Her Aunt leaves her behind and is apparently critical of her niece. Probably hasn't had dealings with a child that age. (Oh, What you can gather from a few comments)

And your assessment of David Tennant puts you the minority.

As far as the music, sorry, not that good. Ellie Vador might like but ths music teacher did not.

Posted Image

I have to agree with you! All those and snapping his fingers to open the TARDIS door!

Yes Emie!!! I loved Rory's long look at Eleven... "she made me dress up as you" which was too funny, I wonder just how many kids have done that over the years? I seem to remember making a young pal of mine wear a long tattered scarf....

I envy those who came to the Doctor as kids and got to play out adventures in time and space. <sigh> They look at you funny as an adult when you run through the Public Library warning peole to stay out of the shadows.
Posted Image
Posted Image
signature created by manicmonkeyinspce
Be kind to the EARTH..it has chocolate!

Posted Image

#40 MikeYates

MikeYates

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,627 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 01:07 PM

"I'm the Doctor, I'm worse than everybody's aunt. And that is not how I am introducing myself."
Posted ImagePosted Image
"Owain Hughes. And before you ask, no I don't!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users