Photo

If you like Merlin you might also like..

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 brekndarulez

brekndarulez

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:01 PM

Wondering what else is out there for those of us who are .. er .. doing the wondering?
Time for some thrilling heroics.

#2 Hatterasman

Hatterasman

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:14 PM

If you like Merlin you might also like... hemorrhoids? No, seriously though... after just watching "Mega Piranha" I must say that Merlin was about 100% more entertaining this week. The problem with Merlin is that it is obviously aimed at the younger generation, and I am 54. I must say however that the jousting scene editing was awesome.

#3 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:57 PM

Wondering what else is out there for those of us who are .. er .. doing the wondering?

The series "Merlin" is modeled HEAVILY on the American TV series "Smallville"(a story about the life of Clark Kent before he became Superman) especially the early seasons, 1-4, when Clark and his friends were still in High School. "Smallville" is currently in it's 9th season and is much more of a *Superman* story now than when it started out; Clark wears a costume and saves people at night, works at the Daily Planet as a reporter and he dates Lois Lane. You may or may not like what "Smallville" has become but if you like "Merlin" then you would love to get your hands on the first 4 Seasons because the similarities between the 2 are uncanny.
Posted Image
"I don't care what I do when I grow up as long as I don't have to wear a suit and fly." Clark Kent-"Smallville"

#4 Mreen

Mreen

• PipPipPipPip
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:12 AM

I was just going to say "Smallville" <g> It's the obvious choice for "revamped for teens" mythology.

A more grown up show you might like is canceled but good, Dresden Files, for that you need to buy/rent the DVDs tho. (Or Hulu.com)

Edited by Mreen, 13 April 2010 - 10:14 AM.

#5 lucian78

lucian78

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

conan the librarian! <_<

#6 BigMcLargeHuge

BigMcLargeHuge

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

If you like Merlin you might also like... hemorrhoids? No, seriously though... after just watching "Mega Piranha" I must say that Merlin was about 100% more entertaining this week. The problem with Merlin is that it is obviously aimed at the younger generation, and I am 54. I must say however that the jousting scene editing was awesome.

Mega Piranha was highly entertaining, though probably not for the reasons the filmmakers intended.
The fact that the Sun is maize and the sky is blue is neither in our control, nor is something we fraudulently contrived. It just shows that God has excellent taste in colors.

#7 txlucky1

txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,113 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

Legend of the Seeker would be a good one.

Syfy member since April 1999

#8 ragnarok_11

ragnarok_11

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 12:00 AM

Dr.Who is pretty good.

#9 manicmonkeyinspace

manicmonkeyinspace

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,915 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:57 AM

Robin Hood
http://www.bbc.co.uk/robinhood/
He's like fire and ice and rage. He's like the night and the storm in the heart of the sun.
He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe
And.......................He is WONDERFUL
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 5thCylonKev

5thCylonKev

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:16 PM

I agree. I actually like LOTS better than Merlin.
Posted Image

Zoe Greystone shot my dog.
Dr. Rush just made me a new recliner. Can't wait to test it out.
Prisoner Zero will vacate the human residence or the human residence will be incinerated.

#11 lucian78

lucian78

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:18 AM

sam raimi sould burn alive for that tragedy he forced on us ugh <_<

#12 5thCylonKev

5thCylonKev

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 11:28 AM

sam raimi sould burn alive for that tragedy he forced on us ugh <_<

How can you say that. LOTS is a great show. Anytime a guy can run around with a sword and have two hot babes obey his every command is a win.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Although I must say something about the woman on the show. In a sense I find them disturbing.

Kahlan is the mother confessor. She is sweet and kind hearted, yet strong and focused. Has all of the attributes any man would want. With one touch, she can make you tell the truth about anything, but you will forever be her servant and lose all of your free will????? Because of that, she can't have sex with anyone she truly loves!?!??!???

Cara is a Mord Sith. She is brutal and viscous and dresses in a skin tight burgundy leather outfit (smokin' hot). She uses torture, punishment, and kinky sex to "train" men into submission. She carries around a 12" long cylindrical object called an Agiel which inflicts severe pain at the slightest touch. The Agiel is the only weapon a Mord Sith carries. Mord Sith are completely immune to any form of magic. When a Mord Sith has completely "trained" a man, she dresses in white!?!???????????????????
Posted Image

Prisoner Zero will vacate the human residence or the human residence will be incinerated.

#13 lucian78

lucian78

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 12:49 PM

How can you say that. LOTS is a great show. Anytime a guy can run around with a sword and have two hot babes obey his every command is a win.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Although I must say something about the woman on the show. In a sense I find them disturbing.

Kahlan is the mother confessor. She is sweet and kind hearted, yet strong and focused. Has all of the attributes any man would want. With one touch, she can make you tell the truth about anything, but you will forever be her servant and lose all of your free will????? Because of that, she can't have sex with anyone she truly loves!?!??!???

Cara is a Mord Sith. She is brutal and viscous and dresses in a skin tight burgundy leather outfit (smokin' hot). She uses torture, punishment, and kinky sex to "train" men into submission. She carries around a 12" long cylindrical object called an Agiel which inflicts severe pain at the slightest touch. The Agiel is the only weapon a Mord Sith carries. Mord Sith are completely immune to any form of magic. When a Mord Sith has completely "trained" a man, she dresses in white!?!???????????????????

I read the books first...so enjoying the show is pretty much out of the question when the only thing resembling the books is character names. Though the girls are hot....bridget regan not as much as she is described in the book...but still cute, the butchering of a novel pretty much makes it hard for me to watch it on a unbiased level.

#14 5thCylonKev

5thCylonKev

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:47 PM

I read the books first...so enjoying the show is pretty much out of the question when the only thing resembling the books is character names. Though the girls are hot....bridget regan not as much as she is described in the book...but still cute, the butchering of a novel pretty much makes it hard for me to watch it on a unbiased level.

I never read the books. Are they really that good? Are they better than the show?
Posted Image

#15 lucian78

lucian78

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:49 AM

I never read the books. Are they really that good? Are they better than the show?

Well the show by itself i think is enjoyable...so i wouldn't say it was better. I just can't really get into it because i read the books and got invested in the stories.....which i understand would not be exactly the same when it came on tv, but i didn't expect they would butcher the books to the point where the only thing that is the same are the character names. The books are very good....the first 2 are a bit campier then later ones...but all of them have much more mature themes then most fantasy books. You shoud pick up wizards first rule when you get a chance and read it <_<.

#16 LowellsMars

LowellsMars

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:10 PM

If you enjoy Arthurian material, then I'd recommend TNT's 4 hour miniseries of Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon.

The movie Excalibur.

Back in the late 70s, PBS aired a series of Arthurian tales in it's Bill Bixby hosted Once Upon a Classic. The scene I remember best is little Morgan placidly watching as step-father Uther chokes to death on some food.

Posted Image

#17 LowellsMars

LowellsMars

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:21 PM

Here's a great resource of Arthurian material, The Camelot Project at The University of Rochester:

http://www.lib.roche...elot/cphome.stm

http://www.lib.roche...ot/mainmenu.htm

Two books that I really enjoyed were Sharan Newman's Guinevere and The Chessboard Queen. I never did get to read the third and final book Guinevere Evermore.

Posted Image

#18 brekndarulez

brekndarulez

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 01:17 PM

i LOVE legend of the seeker. tons of fun.. and totally target same audience.
just hope it doesnt get cancelled.
Time for some thrilling heroics.

#19 5thCylonKev

5thCylonKev

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:15 PM

i LOVE legend of the seeker. tons of fun.. and totally target same audience.
just hope it doesnt get cancelled.

I just found out that it did!!!!!

Oh well, another one bites the dust!!!!!!

http://www.eonline.c..._legend_of.html
Posted Image

#20 jim1961

jim1961

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 284 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

I have read all the books also. Much better than the TV show. While the show is mildly enjoyable imo, very little of what happens actually took place in the books.

The pilot episode probably had the highest percentage of book material in it. From there, they mix up the timeline, take pieces of actual happenings, and make up the rest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users