• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Tonus

Tonus

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:28 PM

Hey im just wondering is this Ghost Hunters show real or fake I believe but a lot of people I know think its all rubbish

#2 ghosthunter1500

ghosthunter1500

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

It's a real show
I might be lying, but I'm telling the truth

Posted Image

#3 HeidiAnn67

HeidiAnn67

Screaming Brain

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,853 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

I agree with MM, it's a real show...

about fake ghost hunting <_<

Posted Image

#4 RyanNREMTP

RyanNREMTP

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,883 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

It's a show on the Science Fiction Channel or SyFy now. Anything else?
Posted Image
Pull Grant's collar for the PICT website.

#5 eagle020

eagle020

Foo Fighter

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

Hey im just wondering is this Ghost Hunters show real or fake I believe but a lot of people I know think its all rubbish

Just like with religion.....whether you believe or not is entirely up to you.

Just remember that it IS a TV show. So things are presented in the most interesting manner possible.
Modern life is a race between engineers striving to build a bigger and better idiot-proof
world, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

#6 KandyKorny

KandyKorny

Dune Messiah

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:00 AM

I would suggest reading through a good many of threads on the subject, investigating the links provided in those threads and making a decision for yourself rather than relying on others to just tell you one way or another
Banned from posting for stating my opinion......or is it my relationship with a former Mod?
Read me

#7 wendypan

wendypan

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:55 AM

It is either a real show on real tv or a lot of people are sharing the same hallucination on Wednesday nights.
We love Ghost Hunters. Where else could we use our critical thinking skills while in the comfort of our comfy chairs? Where else could we spot fraud without leaving the safety of our living rooms? Where else could we practice our debunking abilities [like J and G claim to do]? Late night infomercials perhaps. But I don't stay up that late.

EVERY VALID PARANORMAL GROUP POSTS EVERY BIT OF EVIDENCE THEY COLLECT. WHY NOT TAPS?

Here's a bit of advice that recent episodes make me think TAPS needs to learn: TELL THE TRUTH, IT'S EASIER TO REMEMBER.

#8 Kagehi

Kagehi

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:05 AM

Way to go out on a limb there.. But, seriously, I have the same problem with "Ghosthunters" that I do with "Paranormal Files". We have two ways we have looked at the world:

1. Make up things that seem to make sense to use, based on the assumption that there is "agency", i.e., something life like, causing the things we see.

2. Science.

The recent commercials for Fact or Fiction: Paranormal Files, has one of the clowns claiming that we don't know everything about he universe, so we need to think, "outside the box". But, that isn't what he, or anyone else, on these shows does. All they really do is look in an older box, and they "find" explanations that fit what they happen to believe is the, "most likely explanation", based on their own culture. If we where Asian, why might be finding "evidence" of Kami, Gami, or Yokai/Ayakashi. Some would argue, "Well, that is the same thing.", but it simply isn't, any more than a Asian Vampire would look like a European one, or even act like one, or have similar motivations, etc. A spooky light noted for the claims that children see it more than adults, why, that must, if in Asia, be the Kami which leads the spirits of naughty children to hell. The same thing in the US, gets slapped with the catch all, useless term, "Poltergeist", or something like that. Why? Because, apparently, the box that includes a million different spirits, ghost, phantoms, faeries, goblins, etc., is way too big, we need only a word invented a few thousands years ago, in Germany, to refer to **their** specific type of spook, to correctly identify it.

Well, yeah, that is kind of the problem though, isn't it? If you where "open minded" enough to include every possible name, idea, concept, or fiction that anyone ever came up with, since people first started describing the things, how, other than lump them all together as one thing, because you *don't* have any clear information on what is going on, do you tell them apart? After all, some of these things are known to read the minds of the morons that show up, pretend to be known dead people, and play tricks, based on what people "expect" to be seeing. When you think outside the box of science, you are left with a box so big that it contains *everything* anyone has ever thought of, imagined, made up, joked about, etc., along with a near infinite number of other things, which no one yet *has* a name for.

And, to try to work out which one it is, do they isolate their instruments, use multiple sets of equipment, so they can account for the "exact" event, multiple ways, and times, then go back, and try again, after completely redesigning the equipment? Nope - they use the same stuff every week, they take something seen by one camera, but not another, at face value, and they use stuff that "records" sounds, which are in the threshold of noise, and then completely discount the "phantom word" phenomema: http://www.psycholog...6/phantom-words

http://en.wikipedia....ditory_illusion

Hint - if a scientist where actually doing it, they would remove the people from the room, and run the analysis of the sound ***purely*** based on parsing of the sounds via linguistic analysis, to identify where, and if, **real** speech was present. No one on shows like Ghost Hunters, does that. They "enhance" the noise, based on various filters, to make it "easier" to hear what they think is already there in the first place. In other words, instead of verifying if it is an audio illusion first, they assume its real then use the "wrong tools" to not verify if its real, but the make it easier to hear what they already think is there. This is nuts. If the people who thought that they had found particles traveling faster than light recently had done that, instead of going, "OK, now we are going to go over our machine with a fine tooth comb, and redesign parts of it, to remove what might have caused a false results, and here is what we did, so other people can try to get the ***exact same*** results.", they would have very quickly had their careers ended. Ghosthunters don't even bother to try to reproduce the "exact same result", never mind with different equipment, or anything else that would constitute an attempt to make sure they where dealing with real events, instead of glitches, noise, and their own paranoia (the later of which has been shown in several studies to produce the sense of supernatural things, in places that are uncomfortable, disused looking, darker than the surrounding room/building, or otherwise likely to trigger unease, or discomfort, one of the symptoms of which is a 'perceived' drop in temperature, as a result of constriction of blood vessels, and hyper sensitivity to everything around a person."

In other words, flight or flight makes you "more aware" of things that you ignore as normal the rest of the time, and your skin temperature "does" drop, because the flow of blood to it decreases, as part of your body prepping to maximize flow to the heat, lungs, and muscle, in case you need to run, or fight back. This is described, by one of the researches who figured this out as, to paraphrase, "When you are in a jungle, its better to 100% of the time, expect the noise, of shift of shadows, or other slight changes, as something hiding in the bushes, planing to jump on you. If you are wrong 90% of the time, it might cause some stress, but if you had to always 'know' if it was real, every time, you would be dead the other 10% of the time, when you thought it wasn't anything important, because you are not *sure*, but something really was hunting you." In other words, its better to imagine you hear voices in noise, see things moving in shadows, that lights seem to be "doing something", and that random creaks, noises, etc., are dangerous, than ignore all of those things, and have it turn out to be the one time you should have been paying attention. What sort of places would we need to be doing that? Places where we can't see every place an enemy could come from, places where we are cornered, places that people don't seem to have visited a lot, and which might therefor be hiding something, which wants it to look abandoned. In other words, every single place that, when they ran an experiment, to see where people claimed they "thought" they might have sensed odd things, including ghosts, in a place that had **no record of them**, 100% of the people claiming to have seen, heard, or felt, something, identified as the locations.

Until these people take seriously the fact that you can't do science on things where the margin of error is so bloody small that even they sometimes admit they can't be sure, and that off the shelf cameras, single image/video, nonsense sound analysis, and a "default" to, we can't explain it, so therefor, in the unintended ironic sense the clown on the new Fact of Fiction, show put it, "We look in the reject box (i.e., non-scientific one) for answers, because we think that qualifies as 'thinking outside the box', and not just, 'picking stuff out of a big box, where we put everything from spontaneous generation, to pixies'." That isn't thinking outside of a box. That is just the equivalent of digging through every dump and landfill on the planet, looking for your car keys, because, if you can't find them under the couch, the only other explanation you can come up with ranges from them being thrown out, to inexplicably trading places with the half eaten twinkie in the table, and if that happened, well.. they could be bloody any place, right?" Any answer, especially if the answer goes against centuries of the one picked being **wrong** every single other time its ever been used to explain anything, is not "finding" and answer. In fact, I would argue that its making people dumber, since no one is going to look for a real explanation, if someone has a useless, but otherwise gut level, seemingly reasonable, answer. Its the number one reason why over 2,000 years ago the Romans came "just short" of developing a germ theory of disease, but instead, we ended up with nearly 2,000 years of people thinking the real cause was Miasmas, and Ill Humors, and just about every other thing that has, or is still being, apposed, based on how much some group of people don't like it, don't think it can be true, etc. Its not enough to be half right, or just go with the most comforting explanation. It undermines any sort of search for the real answers, and even more so, if it turns out that a lot of what you have been doing, all along, is based on people making money off of other people's gullibility, like those behind "The Amityville Horror", and other "famous ghosts/possessions, etc.":

http://swallowingthe...ostbusters.html

This guys site is a smorgasbord of people making claims that, when looked at closely, which such shows also never *ever* truly do, don't hold up to examination.

Oh, and, about those "ghost recordings" people always do:

http://en.wikipedia....ditory_illusion

Try googling the term, or "phantom words", you will find more things than you can count, including videos, showing how it works, and why we can trust, in such cases, our own senses even less than we do our cameras and equipment. And, as to those, no one ever runs "linguistic" analysis on these things. Why? Because when you do, the computer, no matter what language its looking for, doesn't find any. When/if a computer is used, its "filtering out the bits that don't sound like what we think we are hearing.", or, in other words, the logically equivalent of searching every slice of bread, in a loaf, in order to increase the odds that, once you make a grilled sandwich with it, the result will look like Elvis. If you end up with something that does, "bingo!"

#9 Deepvoid

Deepvoid

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:25 AM

It's a show on the Science Fiction Channel or SyFy now. Anything else?

What you're saying is that if the show moved to Discovery Channel you would say it's the real deal?

#10 craykclan

craykclan

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:23 AM

What you're saying is that if the show moved to Discovery Channel you would say it's the real deal?

I don't really think it makes much difference to me anyway. I believe in the Paranormal and if u want to beleive that this is all true then it is. I do know that things that go bump in the night are real to the ones that have it happen to, but as far as entertainment well this is on TV... They are real people that do this for a living not just for TV but for people that are in their community. So I guess this is always open for your own belief system.

As for me well I am a believer as I have seen them in action (not on TV)

#11 DrObvious

DrObvious

Cyborg

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:59 PM

I don't really think it makes much difference to me anyway. I believe in the Paranormal and if u want to beleive that this is all true then it is. I do know that things that go bump in the night are real to the ones that have it happen to, but as far as entertainment well this is on TV... They are real people that do this for a living not just for TV but for people that are in their community. So I guess this is always open for your own belief system.

Yep -- If you believe then it is true......

to you.....

But, in the real world -- there is no such thing as ghosts.....
The Doctor

#12 craykclan

craykclan

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

Yep -- If you believe then it is true......

to you.....

But, in the real world -- there is no such thing as ghosts.....

That would be in "your" real world.. in mine they exist

#13 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:21 PM

Yes, things go bump in the night...doesn't necessarily mean that all (or any) bumps you hear in the night are made by ghosts.

Having an open mind is a two-way street

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary...and those who do not.

#14 craykclan

craykclan

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

Yes, things go bump in the night...doesn't necessarily mean that all (or any) bumps you hear in the night are made by ghosts.

Agreed. It was just a saying. But for someone who has experienced the paranormal personally then I am a believer.

#15 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:53 PM

Posted ImageIt's a real show

Yup, it's definitely a real show...I've seen the show on my TV, no doubt that it exists.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary...and those who do not.

#16 CMac90

CMac90

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hey everyone,

I was reading the comments for this subject and just wanted to input a little bit. Although I have no clue if this show is real or staged, I do still believe in ghosts. Certain things, like creaking of old wood in a house, have valid reasons. Other things have no plausible explanation. Many people have caught pictures of glowing objects, or orbes, with no flash from the camera and no light in the vicinity. There is no good explanation as to how these things appear or what even causes them. Another example is shadowy figures. Yes, it could be an actual shadow of a living person, but if that was the case, then why wouldn't the other person just speak up and say it was them. Are they pretending to be a ghost masked in dark colors in the dead of night? Not likely. Some things, you just have to accept on faith. You can't see the wind, but you still know that it is there, right? A lot of people accept God to be real even though there is not substantial proof. So, even if you have not had personal experiences yourself, why can't the same reasoning be applied here? Well, that's all. If nothing else, I hope to have at least provoked some thought here Posted Image

#17 Raithe8

Raithe8

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

Hey everyone,

I was reading the comments for this subject and just wanted to input a little bit. Although I have no clue if this show is real or staged, I do still believe in ghosts.

That's the whole crux of things. One can completely and absolutely believe in the possibility of ghosts and not at all believe that what they see on these programs is real. The two really have no bearing on the other. Just because a show may fake things does not at all mean that true paranormal events do not happen. By the same token, just because paranormal events may happen, it does not mean that what we are shown on TV has any paranormalcy to it at all.

#18 cellophanemanghost

cellophanemanghost

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 572 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

That's the whole crux of things. One can completely and absolutely believe in the possibility of ghosts and not at all believe that what they see on these programs is real. The two really have no bearing on the other. Just because a show may fake things does not at all mean that true paranormal events do not happen. By the same token, just because paranormal events may happen, it does not mean that what we are shown on TV has any paranormalcy to it at all.

Well, I can tell you this. I do believe in ghosts to start with. I do believe GH and GHI are part staged, part real. But a couple of months ago, I was contacted by the executive producer of Haunted Collector. They were going to be filming two shows in my town, and I guess wanted me to be the person interviewed on the show. When she told me the two places they were going to, I told her they probably picked the two least haunted places in town, and neither one of them was going to give up an item. One of these places entices shows in for monetary reasons (which is how I guess they ended up here) , the other is a museum and doesn't.

Anyway, I spent a lot of time giving her the history about the town and its connections to the Civil War and other historical information. But I guess because I wasn't on board with the places they were filming being haunted and told her neither place would let him take anything, I was not contacted again.

They have filmed the shows. A person I know who is on the museum board said Zaffis was looking around for something to call haunted. He made his way to the basement and pulled out something they had put away because it's something they will not display. He wanted to take it and they refused to allow him to.

When they were filming, he comes up with an item, the item that he is taking back to his haunted museum...and this was something that never was in the museum he was investigating. So....that one is definitely fake.

#19 TitScream9000

TitScream9000

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:35 AM

There is no way two guys can record all that "evidence" every single time they do an "investigation". and i'm sick of people saying **** like, ooh ghost adventures isn't as scientific as ghost hunters. ITS A SHOW ABOUT GHOSTS. There is NOTHING scientific about ghosts

#20 LugoMan

LugoMan

Dune Messiah

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:19 PM

There is no way two guys can record all that "evidence" every single time they do an "investigation". and i'm sick of people saying **** like, ooh ghost adventures isn't as scientific as ghost hunters. ITS A SHOW ABOUT GHOSTS. There is NOTHING scientific about ghosts

No offense, but 'TitScream9000' sounds like some sort of mammogram machine.

Convictions are the more dangerous enemy of truth than lies.

Friedrich Nietzsche

Oh, and my original sign up date is Oct 2004... it seems to matter to some people, so there it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users