• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 beachladysc

beachladysc

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:39 PM

I thought the new Riverworld was just amazing...it makes you think about what life is about, all the different religions, some being warriors and some being peaceful wanting no violence. And are people "test subjects" who come back time and time again to learn what is worth fighting for? The main subject, Matthew, he's obsessed with a woman he barely knows, and she's proven she is not true to him.....Yet he fails to see that it is the best friends and newly honorable friends who survive over and over and who always meet up without a question of who is loyal or bound for the same goal...It's the same but not the same each time, but every time brings them closer together. And the girl he's crazy about? She proves to be less and less worthy of the group who is growing stronger as good people who have strength, integrity and honor. He should go with the the Samurai warrior, and if there is a part two, that could be....Obsession with someone who is a fantasy is not always the what one thinks it is.

#2 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,691 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:43 PM

One of the more positive aspects is with the character of Richard Burton. As malevolent and as brutal as he was, he did redeem himself at the end.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

Let's declare 2014 as the Year of Love.

#3 Dundain

Dundain

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:03 AM

I watched and enjoyed it for what it was. I will do so again.

#4 kassandraoftroy

kassandraoftroy

Viper Pilot

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:41 AM

I watched and enjoyed it for what it was. I will do so again.

I really enjoyed it as well; I watched Dollhouse 1x w/Helo (sorry can't help myself), and hated the show, and his character was so unworthy of what I remembered on BSG. I think that show is still on, but I am not sure if he is still on it.

I liked this show, and I think it has potential; especially the afterlife idea. I always thought he was a boy scout on BSG, but because he was in love w/a cylon, it gave him a twist. Lee Adama was often depicted as the boyscout, but he was no angel either. So I like seeing him in this ambiguous role of a chess piece; and a hero. Plus he's very hunky, which is always a perk, as is the scenery. I would watch it as a series. It seemed more interesting than SGU; but that's just me.

I like how he thinks he is in love w/a woman, who is not what she seems; kinda reminded me of that movie Tom Cruise did, that I hated. It gave me the creeps, but he was dreaming when he's crynogenically frozen, and in it he is in love w/Penelope Cruz, someone he barely knew in life. My friend said to me when the film was over, and TC's character woke up 150 years later, that the saddest part of all was that he was in love w/a woman that never really existed as his lover. The truth was he met her once. It also showed a truth of how he treated women so poorly, namely Cameron Diaz's character, which is why she tried to kill them both--he learned something in his frozen nightmares. It did not justify her behavior in any way whatsoever, but perhaps he should have "seen" more clearly what was happening if he had not been so self involved.

I digress---anyway ===the one thing I missed was when his photographer showed up; did he die many years later? Was earth really gone?

I think it has potential--the original BSG movie was not even close to what the series became and I can say the same about the Caprica movie/pilot as well.
k
Kassandra of Troy
"Cursed by Apollo to speak the future, but never to be believed."

#5 Ted2of25

Ted2of25

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 02:52 AM

I caught the original Riverworld when it was re-aired a few months ago and while i found the premise interesting i was severly disapointed by the ending. I know it was obviously ment to lead into a series but there wasn't much explanation into what the hell was going on, i was left scratching my head wondering who those dark cloaked dudes were and why they resurrect people from across time.

The new Riverworld was i thought was okay if a little weird. I'll say the only reason i watched was it has the dude who played Helo on BSG(Tahmoh Penikett) and i thought he wasn't that bad in this. I still wish they explained who those blue people are but if my theory is correct, i'm geussing they aren't the ones in control of the planet. I hope that Syfy picks this up as a series cause i'm intrigued to see where it will go.

#6 DebraDownSth

DebraDownSth
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:46 AM

FYI Dollhouse was canceled.

Yeah, PS, I agree... Peter Wingfield did a bang-up job with his character! <_<

#7 mayrwyn

mayrwyn

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 12:04 PM

DebraDownSth, Peter Wingfield always does a bang up job, doesn't he? There's a man who needs his own series. <_<
"The loss of a friend is like that of a limb; time may heal the anguish of the wound but the loss can never be recovered." -robert southey

#8 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,691 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:55 PM

I got a chuckle when he tells Mark Twain his name is 'Richard Burton' and that his friends call him '(the 4-lettered nickname for Richard)'.

"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9)

#9 pscard

pscard

Chosen One

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,691 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

DebraDownSth, Peter Wingfield always does a bang up job, doesn't he? There's a man who needs his own series. <_<

He appeared almost regularly on Highlander.

#10 mayrwyn

mayrwyn

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:35 PM

He appeared almost regularly on Highlander.

Yep, forever ago, it seems. He's also on Caprica on and off as a more "background filler" type character. And right now rumor has it that he's filming a guest spot on NCIS: LA. Not my type of show, but work is work for an actor, and at least he's working. <_< I'm just saying - he's good enough to carry off a lead if anyone would ever give him a shot at it.

#11 SandyNYC

SandyNYC

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:21 PM

DebraDownSth, Peter Wingfield always does a bang up job, doesn't he?  There's a man who needs his own series. <_<

Peter Wingfield did a great job, but I thought the cast over all was very strong.  I loved Alan Cummings as an alien.  Would make a very intriguing series.

#12 mayrwyn

mayrwyn

Caprican

• Full Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:42 PM

Peter Wingfield did a great job, but I thought the cast over all was very strong. I loved Alan Cummings as an alien. Would make a very intriguing series.

I agree on the overall cast. I'd never noticed Mark Deklin before, but will be looking for him in the future. Actually, the supporting cast was good without exception. I would even go so far as to say that rest of the cast was so good, they made Penikett look only barely competent, and Vandervoort - well, she was pretty, I suppose. But that's about it.

#13 Blfskos

Blfskos

Returnee

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 10:55 AM

Mark Twain's quips and neo-aphorisms ought to help people grasp the show. I think if it becomes a series we'll see more of Richard Burton; he'll come up through water.
"Nobody would take a jeep into a combat area."-MacArthur

#14 Cathy105

Cathy105

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

[quote name='Ted2of25' post='6761365' date='Apr 19 2010, 02:52 AM']I caught the original Riverworld when it was re-aired a few months ago and while i found the premise interesting i was severly disapointed by the ending. I know it was obviously ment to lead into a series but there wasn't much explanation into what the hell was going on, i was left scratching my head wondering who those dark cloaked dudes were and why they resurrect people from across time.

The new Riverworld was i thought was okay if a little weird. I'll say the only reason i watched was it has the dude who played Helo on BSG(Tahmoh Penikett) and i thought he wasn't that bad in this. I still wish they explained who those blue people are but if my theory is correct, i'm geussing they aren't the ones in control of the planet. I hope that Syfy picks this up as a series cause i'm intrigued to see where it will go.[/quote

I completly agree with you...wondered who the blue people are,
did Earth explode, what's going on with Jessie, I do hope they
make a series out of it though.

Cathy

#15 Barbzilla

Barbzilla

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:30 AM

I want to see it again but only have part one on my DVR....does anyone know if and when it will be replayed?

HELP!

#16 easygordon

easygordon

Mostly Harmless

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,873 posts

Posted 02 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

I want to see it again but only have part one on my DVR....does anyone know if and when it will be replayed?

HELP!

It's not on the schedule through June at least, but I'm sure they'll bring it back some time.

Posted Image
Reviews of SF, Fantasy & Horror books, movies, TV, comics at templetongate.net

#17 ScifiJunky

ScifiJunky

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 248 posts

Posted 09 May 2010 - 02:51 PM

I really enjoyed Riverworld. The whole play on reality concept was fascinating. I love Laura vandervoort. She is so pretty. Tahmoh was his usual best.

#18 johnkalli1990

johnkalli1990

Mansquito

• Full Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:25 AM

The character of Richard Burton is the positive aspect of the movie.

#19 TigerWild

TigerWild

Mansquito

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:53 PM

I like the deep thought that this show provokes... what if death were removed as an obstacle... what then could we as a race achieve? What reasons would people come up with to continue being, or would we rather end it. It is an age old question that most people place on the backs of gods, and leave out of our reach, thinking it impossible. i loved the original book series, and I think that the reboot of Riverworld grasps the originals sentiment perfectly, even better than the 2003 version. I REALLY want to see where they take it.

Continue making smart shows, that's why we love SyFy!

On a side note, I really want to see a revisit to the Lost Room series as well!

#20 ScifiJunky

ScifiJunky

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 248 posts

Posted 04 November 2010 - 06:30 AM

I loved Riverworld. Thoroughly enjoyable. And the deep messages are very intriguing as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users