• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Wowthisisterrible

Wowthisisterrible

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 12:57 AM

I've been really hoping SGU would turn out not to be "The New Battlestar Galactica's" developmentally disabled cousin, but it is. What were you people (And by that I mean hardcore fans and the production team/writers etc) thinking? It's terrible, it is NOT Stargate at all. It's a very slimmed down, filmed exactly the same with nearly the same semi-lame not-so-interesting dialogue that made BSG a hole in my TV. Has none of the charm or needed humor balancing drama of either of the two ACTUAL Stargate series, which were both outstanding and I am an enormous fan of actually ever part of them. Seriously, if I wanted BSG I'd waste my money on the DVD sets and annoy myself with "Frak" every 2 seconds and totally not needed "steamy" and, again, I'll use lame, soft sex scenes. Fine, one here and there is OK (Though they really just take the place of possible interesting scenes that would cost too much to make, or lacked the talent to be written) but seriously. There was enough testosterone and estrogen mixing on that show to erect a senior home.

The acting in this...thing is substandard (Which SG-1 wasn't great in the first FEW episodes, but the dialogue and plotline made up for it until the writers and production team ironed things out) and as I mentioned, the dialogue is horrendous. Hard to believe Peter DeLuise could be involved. Did I mention SGU is just plain BSG ugly? The dirty settings are wonderful and creative, but they are botched up by people almost stumbling by in a fashion that doesn't seem on purpose but rushed and amateur, sure there would be confusion but nearly every actor except for one or two seem to star around into empty space like a deer in headlights, even during heated conversation. There are MUCH better ways to show helplessness, ways that are actually humanly typical in certain psychological situations, but that's another matter. Interpersonal relationships are either abhorrently written or mindlessly acted, the tense nature of the situation explodes in ways that evade true drama and are replaced by "eye candy" drama. As a last note, aside from one of the few good actors' character getting plain left on a planet to die EVERYTHING is easily predictable and transparent as plastic wrap. Anyway, my opinions of this wasted potential of a GREAT television series is nearly done, hopefully the show will not be before it grows up into something more adult instead of a teen to 20 something layover from high school.

Bring back Stargate - BSG is over, let it die and rest where it should be. And by the way; come on, seriously, this is an opinion post, can we try to be civil with responses? I don't hold out much hope but one never knows.

-Handle says it all.

#2 LeGila

LeGila

Peacekeeper

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:18 AM

The truth of the matter is that this board simply does not allow negative criticism of the show....especially from people who are new. This thread will be locked within a day. That's just the way this board works. Now if you gushed praised and said the show was the greatest thing since sliced bread they would leave it up.

I've given up making any attempts at a true analysis of the show.

#3 txlucky1

txlucky1

Slan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,307 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:39 AM

The truth of the matter is that this board simply does not allow negative criticism of the show....especially from people who are new. This thread will be locked within a day. That's just the way this board works. Now if you gushed praised and said the show was the greatest thing since sliced bread they would leave it up.

Not true at all. <_<

Syfy member since April 1999

#4 ShiningPathofLight

ShiningPathofLight

Time Lord

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 01:40 AM

How about a "true analysis" of "Stargate Atlantis"? That show wasn't silly? That show wasn't repetitive? What exactly were the *great things* about SGA that would make anyone want to see it instead of a *VASTLY* superior show like "SGU"?
Posted Image
"I don't care what I do when I grow up as long as I don't have to wear a suit and fly." Clark Kent-"Smallville"

#5 FrodoFraggins

FrodoFraggins

Minbari

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 03:28 AM

<same old complaints snipped>

Bring back Stargate - BSG is over, let it die and rest where it should be.

Wow, you've really convinced me to give up on SG:U!

Actually, try the SG:A subforum - you'll get a better response.

If ratings are any indication you'll likely get your wish after SGU's second season, and I'm sure you'll come here to gloat.

#6 Muzz666

Muzz666

Wacky Professor

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 07:28 AM

I've been really hoping SGU would turn out not to be "The New Battlestar Galactica's" developmentally disabled cousin, but it is. What were you people (And by that I mean hardcore fans and the production team/writers etc) thinking? It's terrible, it is NOT Stargate at all. It's a very slimmed down, filmed exactly the same with nearly the same semi-lame not-so-interesting dialogue that made BSG a hole in my TV. Has none of the charm or needed humor balancing drama of either of the two ACTUAL Stargate series, which were both outstanding and I am an enormous fan of actually ever part of them. Seriously, if I wanted BSG I'd waste my money on the DVD sets and annoy myself with "Frak" every 2 seconds and totally not needed "steamy" and, again, I'll use lame, soft sex scenes. Fine, one here and there is OK (Though they really just take the place of possible interesting scenes that would cost too much to make, or lacked the talent to be written) but seriously. There was enough testosterone and estrogen mixing on that show to erect a senior home.

The acting in this...thing is substandard (Which SG-1 wasn't great in the first FEW episodes, but the dialogue and plotline made up for it until the writers and production team ironed things out) and as I mentioned, the dialogue is horrendous. Hard to believe Peter DeLuise could be involved. Did I mention SGU is just plain BSG ugly? The dirty settings are wonderful and creative, but they are botched up by people almost stumbling by in a fashion that doesn't seem on purpose but rushed and amateur, sure there would be confusion but nearly every actor except for one or two seem to star around into empty space like a deer in headlights, even during heated conversation. There are MUCH better ways to show helplessness, ways that are actually humanly typical in certain psychological situations, but that's another matter. Interpersonal relationships are either abhorrently written or mindlessly acted, the tense nature of the situation explodes in ways that evade true drama and are replaced by "eye candy" drama. As a last note, aside from one of the few good actors' character getting plain left on a planet to die EVERYTHING is easily predictable and transparent as plastic wrap. Anyway, my opinions of this wasted potential of a GREAT television series is nearly done, hopefully the show will not be before it grows up into something more adult instead of a teen to 20 something layover from high school.

Bring back Stargate - BSG is over, let it die and rest where it should be. And by the way; come on, seriously, this is an opinion post, can we try to be civil with responses? I don't hold out much hope but one never knows.

-Handle says it all.

Well Said
Posted Image
The label Nerd and Geek

are never used as a sign of Respect or Affection

but instead are used to Diminish and Ridicule

those who have a gift they share with the world.

Just because Someone is Dumber than you

does not mean You are Smarter than them.

Yes i'm not normal - Deal with it

#7 danille

danille

Sleestak

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 08:09 AM

The old stargate was tired. Loving this new version. What can I say? In show business there is an *** for every seat!

#8 Wowthisisterrible

Wowthisisterrible

Mansquito

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2010 - 09:42 AM

Wow, you've really convinced me to give up on SG:U!

Actually, try the SG:A subforum - you'll get a better response.

If ratings are any indication you'll likely get your wish after SGU's second season, and I'm sure you'll come here to gloat.

Not doing individual responses, too bad.

I'm holding my surprised face at the personal 'attacks' that I did try to forestall. As far as SGA - it wasn't as great as SG-1 and the Wraith were rather over the top, but it had a more palatable dialogue, even if some of the concepts were a bit silly. And I am not saying bring back SG1 or SGA, more the dialogue and charm of them. I'm sure that will be misunderstood.
I don't gloat. Also not suggesting anyone "give up" on SGU at all, SG-1 had it's moments at the beginning. It also became a bit off toward the end but the concepts were very good, just as U's actual concept is excellent. It's the Glacticaesque way it's done that cheats the show of it's potential. Aside from "Eli" in this show, it lacks the charm that made even SGA a great show to watch, regardless of the difficulty to swallow it until after a few episodes. Ah well, as I stated this was just opinion. Though it would be nice if there was someone whom actually listened to opinions of the public. Enjoy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users